The Stillwell House Reviews

The Stillwell House 5
The Stillwell House 6
The Stillwell House 7

Ariel · Married on 04/08/2016

Still beaming from our amazing wedding at the Stillwell House! We worked with Kelly, Candace and Wilma, and everyone was so accommodating and so on top of things. We wanted an all vegetarian wedding, and all the guests said they were the best tamales they'd ever had. So happy that Stillwell was not only able to work with all-veg, but made it so good that no one complained about the lack of meat!
    In terms of the decor, I wanted gray tablecloths which they had made for us (fabulous) and they provided so much additional decor on the day. If you are like me, unless you have a wedding planner, you are not going to remember to think about what kind of bowl the salsa is being served in. Luckily, the Stillwell is not only a great bargain, but they've thought of everything and provide SO many additional items, so when I walked around the venue on the day, everything looked so put together and decorated, and I didn't have to overthink every little detail on my own in the planning period.
    We had some rain threats on the day, and Wilma was great about setting up for worst case scenarios, but made sure to hold off to make the call, since I really wanted to eat outside. Luckily the weather cooperated and the day was perfect! I am so grateful to everyone there for making our day so beautiful! :)

Sent on 04/13/2016

Alissa · Married on 11/23/2013

As to not stress myself out, I never worried about having the perfect wedding. Wilma and the staff at the Stillwell House helped make it happen anyway. I planned our wedding from out of state with the help of my mother and sister. Wilma worked with the three of us from the beginning to plan a great event. She gave us a very solid idea of pricing, food options, etc. and worked closely with us throughout the whole process. She and the staff pay attention to detail and it really shows. Little touches and decor in our colors were present throughout the venue along with beautiful refreshment stands and lighting. We had to move the ceremony and dinner indoors due to weather but the setting inside was so beautiful, we didn't mind one bit. The food and drinks were served promptly and everything was delicious. Wilma even made sure my husband and I took a moment to ourselves before dinner and brought us refreshments. We received so many compliments on every aspect of the wedding. It couldn't have gone any better. If you want a beautiful, timeless setting and a professional staff who know exactly how to run a wedding, the Stillwell House is for you. Thank you to Wilma, Candace and the rest of the staff for making our wedding wonderful!

Sent on 12/31/2013

Amanda · Married on 03/16/2013

I can not say enough about Wilma and her staff at the Stillwell House! Our wedding was absolutely perfect! They did such an amazing job setting up and turning over the tables. I did not have a wedding planner through the planning process, so I was a little nervous how everything would turn out and I have to say the entire day went so smoothly because of Wilma! Everything was on time and they made it all look so effortless!

The food was delicious and warm. We had 150 guests and it was a platted dinner, the staff had the dinner out so quickly! The bar tender was a blast and was so fast to getting drinks out!

I truly can't say enough god things about the Stillwell House!

Sent on 03/19/2013

Kirsten · Married on 09/11/2010

The Stillwell House was like a fairytale wedding. I walked in and was so excited to see that the venue had been transformed. The table settings were fabulous. There was such attention to detail- everywhere.
    The food was delicious, service wonderful and there was not a single thing I would have changed. It was lovely.
    My only complaint if getting in contact with any of the wedding planners. They don't answer the House phone and you always have to wait for a call back.

Sent on 09/28/2010

Erin · Married on 11/05/2017

Stillwell House does TONS of weddings. TONS. Which means they know how to put on a beautiful event - how to help you organize your day-of schedule (SO helpful if, like me, you're a clueless bride who hasn't spent her whole life planning her dream wedding), how to guide your guests through each of their three gorgeous spaces so the whole event flows effortlessly, how to style their venue so that the wedding looks much fancier and more expensive than it actually is. They have it DOWN.

Their food is delicious, and they're totally willing to go the extra mile to make sure you're happy with your selections (we went through 3 rounds of tasting with our vegetarian entree). And the food (like everything else!) is very, very reasonably priced.

A couple of caveats: If you want to do things different from the way they usually do them, you have to be prepared for some pushback. It's all well-intentioned (they know what works, and they want you to have a great day), but you will have to assure them - and then reassure them - that yes, you're sure you want to do it that way, thanks.

Also: They offer a discount on your rehearsal dinner if you do it at one of their partner restaurants and have them set it up (score!), but I'd advise you to be very clear about what kind of rehearsal dinner you're envisioning if you go with that deal. We assumed we'd be in a private room / area with our group of 20 so that folks could give toasts, get up and mingle, etc. What we got was a long table in the middle of the restaurant's patio, surrounded by other large tables - no speechifying or mingling was really possible. To be fair, we should've established what we wanted in advance instead of assuming they'd know. In the end, it was fine, and we weren't upset, but if a certain kind of rehearsal dinner is important to you, make sure they know.

In the end, we had a beautiful day at a beautiful venue, and we'd choose them again in a heartbeat!

Sent on 12/07/2017

Lynne · Married on 03/07/2015

We used the Stillwell House & Garden as our wedding venue this past weekend. The venue itself includes the historic house, a center courtyard/garden area, and the cantina. The natural beauty of the venue can not be stated enough--it needs hardly any decorating in order to look absolutely magical. I worked with Kelly and Wilma to ensure that everything was organized and ready for the wedding. They can be difficult to reach by email but are very quick to respond via telephone. The professionalism of the entire staff at the Stillwell House is more than I could have ever expected. Wilma has an incredible amount of experience, and it is clear that she expects the best from her staff. I walked in the afternoon of my wedding to find every detail already set up and arranged and looking even more beautiful than I could have ever imagined it to be. They took every idea I had and made it better. Each member of the staff checked in with me to make sure my night was perfect, and I can't think of a single minute where I needed anything. The serving staff was attentive and friendly, and the bartenders were talented and smart. By the time we were ready to leave, the staff had everything packed and ready to be loaded in minutes. The Stillwell House was not only a great value and a beautiful venue, but they made the entire planning process less stressful as a bride. Thank you!

Sent on 03/10/2015

The Stillwell House's reply:

Thank you Lynne! We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your wedding day and that everything went well, that is always our top priority. We are so sorry if we were slow to respond to any emails, we will be sure to work on that. Thank you again, and we wish you both the best always.

Rebekah · Married on 12/16/2006

3.5

The staff was incredible at throwing together an absolutely flawless wedding - one that has inspired many of my guests to tell me what a fabulous wedding it was; and the price was unmatched anywhere else! They also had the cheapest food and it was still excellent! They took care of every need and I really did nothing but received everything I ever wanted in a wedding. The venue was so beautifully decorated that Jones Photo used my pictures in their portfolio! The only slight annoyance was that it was difficult to get them on the phone; we didn;t receive call backs sometimes for days and their office hours are weird!

Sent on 06/11/2008
  • Alexis

Alexis · Married on 09/17/2011

3.0

We had our reception at The Stillwell House. The venue was absolutely perfect - very cozy and romantic. The location is so beautiful that it doesn't require much decorating other than what you want to put on your tables. The staff was great about putting everything together and then breaking it down for us at the end of the night.

Sent on 10/04/2011

meghan · Married on 08/05/2011

The Stillwell house is a beautiful, classy, wedding venue. They put beautiful little touches everywhere and make it beautiful, even if you didn't think of centerpieces on your cocktail hour tables, they out candles. They serve a delicious dinner and bring drinks to guests during dinner rather than guests having to get up. It's a tad pricey but well worth it!

Sent on 01/04/2012

Stephanie · Married on 04/03/2010

3.5

The Stillwell House was a wonderful venue. The food was delicious and they allowed us to create our own menu based on their listed menus. The site is beautiful and the staff was friendly. The Stillwell House and I played phone tag a little bit, but overall they were good about responding to my calls and questions. Most of our items were packed up for us to take home that night, and when I notified the Stillwell House that somethings were missing, they looked for and found the items. Their charge was really reasonable (especially when compared to other venues) and they broke down the charges and services for us to see and choose from. They also gave me helpful tips about the ceremony and day of time-line.

Sent on 04/14/2010
  • Midnightrider

Chase · Married on 06/08/2019

Warm and inviting

This place is beautiful. The fact that you get a bartender for the night, and you're allowed to bring your own drinks and not have to pay per drink is wonderful. The house is gorgeous! The garden patio is open and inviting. They really offer to do everything for you. The price was definitely worth it, unfortunately a little above our budget.

Sent on 01/08/2019
    The Stillwell House 8
    The Stillwell House 9

The Stillwell House's reply:

Thank you so much for your kind words, We work hard at making it a great value and overall experience for our couples and our guests. I will always do my best to help out with budget concerns. If I can do anything to assist you, please feel free to contact me at
    520-623-9123 - Thank you again- Candace

Tori · Married on 03/18/2017

My wedding day was even more beautiful than I could have imagined, and most of that is due to the wonderful and attentive staff at the Stillwell House. The morning of my wedding, my brain went through the many details that I was sure I forgot to mention to Kelly and Wilma, but they read my mind and everything was where it needed to be! I even forgot the pens that I picked out especially for my guestbook, but the staff at Stillwell found replacements.

I appreciated the staff's ability to problem solve! Everything was perfect (and anything that wasn't was expertly fixed without my knowledge!). The ceremony space was set up beautifully and Wilma did a great job directing everyone and keeping us on track. Guests were so impressed by the delicious meal and (stiff) drinks. We received so many compliments and I'm so glad that we chose the Stillwell House for our wedding. The spaces are all so beautiful and so much of the decor is available without extra cost, so you can go simple with flower arrangements and other decor items - this was a huge plus for us! Additionally, I appreciated that so much was included in the cost, so we didn't have to worry about communicating with a separate bartender or catering company.

I know some of the other reviews say that they aren't very flexible... that wasn't my experience at all. Wilma and Kelly are the experts and will absolutely let you know if they think there is an easier or more elegant way to get something done, but also respect whatever decision you make. Most of the time, I took their advice and the day was better for it. A few times, we stuck to our original decision and it worked out too. All they want is for you to have a great day :)

I also want to mention that whenever we met with any of our vendors and they asked what our venue was, the next thing they said (without fail) was, "Oh that's great! Wilma and her team run a tight ship!"

We absolutely loved our wedding at the Stillwell House and recommend the venue!

Sent on 06/12/2017
  • O

Olga · Married on 03/07/2009

3.5

My wedding was breath taking. Everyone commented on what a beautiful venue we had. The day was March 7, 2009 and the weather was perfect. We had our ceremony and dinner outside in the courtyard and dancing in the cantina. Every staff member took care not only the headtable, but our guest too. I highly recommend this venue.

Sent on 03/24/2009

Lindsey · Married on 05/14/2011

4.2
      3.0

Overall, they were great. The day of the wedding went smoothly and the venue looked VERY beautiful. Beforehand they were somewhat hard to get a hold of. You always have to leave a message and wait for a call back because they do not have anyone answering the phone. That was somewhat frustrating but the end result was great so I would say it was worth it. They also did the food and it was great. We have gotten many complements on the food and how it was the best wedding food people have had.

Sent on 05/25/2011

Tiffany · Married on 10/11/2014

3.0

Read the reviews - they are spot on for the Stillwell House. Good value, good food, beautiful venue, but you have to fight every step of the way. It is difficult to get in contact with anyone, and Wilma's favorite word is no, but if you can stay strong and keep your head up it is worth it. The day of my wedding everyone was wonderful, but planning with the Stillwell House was a headache.

Sent on 11/04/2014

Hi Tiffany and Ted,
    Thank you so much for your positive feedback and your constructive criticism. We worked extremely hard to make your day a memorable one, and can only hope to improve our practice for upcoming couples. We wish you both a lifetime of love and happiness.
    With our Sincerest Thanks,
    The Stillwell House

Carmen · Married on 05/25/2008

3.5

The Stillwell House was wonderful! The venue was decorated perfectly the day of, and the food and service was amazing. Everyone that I dealt with was very kind and helpful. This place is absolutely beautiful at night.

Sent on 06/03/2008

Karlyn · Married on 04/09/2016

3.8
      2.5

We loved The Stillwell House when we stepped on the grounds for the first time. They did a wonderful job at bringing together our entire image of how we wanted our wedding reception to look. I did not give them 5 stars only because it was rather difficult to get in touch with them and while we ultimately had our reception turn out the way we wanted it to, it was pulling teeth with Wilma to get to that point. We had several meetings in person and several on the phone because we no longer lived in the area. Wilma does not like to do anything that differs from "what normally happens." If you are tenacious enough to push for what you want and understand you will have to repeat yourself many times over and remind them over and over again, then there is no better wedding venue for the price you will pay here. They took care of us very well on our wedding day and turned the place into a magical location for us.

Sent on 08/15/2016

The Stillwell House's reply:

In response to your note we're so happy that your end result and the day of were exactly what you hoped for from us.
    In answer to your experiences with Wilma she has been the general manager for 15 years and after years of events she knows what works and does not work for the utilization of the venue. She never has ill will and always wants the best for our couples. She feels terrible that you all felt she was difficult, but with the distance we did the very best we could without meetings in person. We are very sorry that you were frustrated during parts of your planning process. We wish you would have expressed it at the time so we could have corrected any miscommunication in the moment. Our main goal is ensure our couples have the very best wedding day, and we are happy you did have a happy wedding day. We do wish you both a lifetime of love, and thank you for sharing your wedding day with us. All the best always.

Jill · Married on 04/21/2011

3.4
      3.0

The Stillwell House and Garden is a gorgeous venue. The first time I toured it, I fell in love with the courtyard and I had to have my wedding there, even though the pricing was just slightly higher than some other places that we looked at. But they have in house catering with delicious food (everyone loved the prickly pear bbq chicken) and there are no surprise fees like cake cutting fees or champagne uncorking fees. The setting was perfect for what I wanted... its just the most idyllic little garden courtyard that feels oddly intimate and peaceful even though its right in the middle of downtown. And at night... its like a midsummer nights dream. Absolutely beautiful. The cantina and main house are also wonderful, and we were able to make it so the guests got to enter through the main house and have cocktail hour in the cantina, so they got to experience the whole property. Everyone thought it was gorgeous all around. The only drawback to the whole experience was some of the staff. Wilma, while obviously knowledgeable about how they usually run their weddings, always acted a but irritated at us, like we were inconveniencing her or asking a really dumb question. We always had to ask a question about 3 times to get a straight answer, and a lot of times we still left the conversation unsure of things. For instance, throughout the planning process, we were never quite sure what the staff would and would not do in terms of setting up and decorating and such. So I hired a few co-workers to help and spent weeks putting together detailed instructions of how I wanted everything. I'm an EXTREMELY detail oriented person, so I had planned every last inch down to making my own table numbers and seating chart... which to me was perfectly normal, especially since there was never any mention of how anything would be done otherwise. But both in my final appointment and on my wedding day, it was as if no one wanted to listen to anything I said, because the staff completely disregarded what my friends were trying to accomplish, kept moving my stuff around, even used a wrong seating chart that came out of no where, I have no idea where! And when my friends tried to work with them and do things the right way, the staff members were rude to them. In the end, everything was perfect, but not without some struggle. Bottom line... if you are a relaxed sort of bride who doesn't really care about every detail being your own, and you're okay with your wedding looking exactly like the other 800 brides' weddings they do a year, and you don't stay up at night worrying about what your table numbers look like or if everyone can see the head table, go ahead and use the Stillwell House. Its still beautiful and the food is still delicious. But if you're particular, very detail oriented, and a worrier, you might want to see if you can find a venue with a more accommodating coordinator.

Sent on 05/03/2011

mary · Married on 04/26/2008

3.2
      3.0

The groom and i asked (several times) to be served dinner first, so we could eat and then greet all the guests as they ate. this did not happen, and we missed several of our guests.

I never really knew what to do next when it came to planning with Stillwell.... I felt like i wasn't listened to, and i never really knew when to send in my information, when to bring my supplies over, etc.

The venue was overpriced, in my opinion.

The bride's room was great, but there's no room for the groom and groomsmen... they just had to hang out in the bathroom hallway.

very, very beautiful location in spring. no need to decorate much, as the garden is lovely by itself.

Sent on 06/12/2008

1.0

Where to begin… I absolutely fell in love with this venue but beware, it comes with a cost.
    PROS:
    It’s so beautiful that it doesn’t require much decoration.
    You have all three areas to use which makes it extra unique.
    You can’t beat the price, during the summer they offer 50% off the venue cost which makes a big difference.
    They provide a lot for you, just add DJ, photographer, cake and alcohol.
    They added their own decorations and embellishments to go with my theme.

CONS:
    The service, you will never get someone on the phone. Every time I called I had to leave a message and they usually called back in 2-3 hours.
    Their pricing and booking system in not very organized, we got several different quoting mistakes and double bookings for appointments which left us waiting.
    75% of my guests (out of 125) complained about the horrible customer service. That was very embarrassing coming from my new mother in-law(who contributed to the wedding) and one of my vendors. There was one stellar server/bartender but there were many complaints about Wilma and the bartender in the Cantina.
    They are like a wedding factory; you will get resistance if you want to do anything out of their ordinary setup.
    Overall, I would not recommend this venue to a friend. My advice would be to spend a little more money on a venue that can remember this is your big day and show a little more courtesy to your guests.

Sent on 06/11/2013

Elise · Married on 03/23/2011

1.8
      1.5
      1.5

From a guest's point of view, everything looked very nice. Brides who had had their wedding there previously had nice things to say. But as a recent bride, I had a very difficult time with The Stillwell House. I was quoted different prices, had agreements 'forgotten', and spent my wedding day chasing down others. I think the worst part about it was the utter rudeness of management. Other couples who married there recently had similar experiences.

I cannot recommend the place to anyone. There are so many other wonderful vendors in Tucson!

Sent on 04/17/2011