the Smiths Reviews

36 | Charleston, SC

36 Reviews for the Smiths

Kerstin Dahlgren · Married on 10/13/2018

The very best

The Smiths are hands down AMAZING. Out of all the vendors we hired for our wedding, they were by far the best. They became way more than wedding photographers throughout the whole process, going above and beyond every step of the way. They are extremely knowledgeable, professional, helpful, and super super talented. They work together seamlessly and are so fun to be around! Our engagement photo session was SO much fun and the photos turned out better than I could have imagined. As far as the wedding day, they made sure everything ran smoothly and on time, and I'm positive it wouldn't have worked so well if we didn't have them there. They both fit into the day so well, it was just like having your best friends with you, but snapping pictures the whole time :) Jess saved the day dozens of times and Critty kept everyone laughing and at ease. One of their most impressive talents is the way that the capture the experience of your wedding- not just the standard wedding photographs.
    We truly couldn't be happier that we chose them as our photographers, cannot say enough good things about them, and could not recommend them more.

Sent on 11/13/2018

Correy · Married on 12/02/2017

Jessica and Critty were the absolute best throughout our whole wedding adventure! After meeting with them and getting to know them and their style we knew that they were the ones we wanted to capture our wedding! They are truly genuine, down to earth people that will go above and beyond to make sure everything is perfect. They check in on you often and offer so much support. Charles and I really wanted the candid moments of our day captured with us interacting with our bridal party, family and guests and Jessica and Critty definitely delivered! We highly recommend choosing them to be a part of your special day!

Sent on 02/20/2018

Jessica · Married on 10/14/2017

Our wedding pictures were more than we could have ever hoped for. Jessica and Critty are the absolute best! They captured so many genuine, joyful moments on our special day. Beyond the day-of experience and flawless final product, the Smiths really went above and beyond leading up to our wedding day by sending little notes of encouragement, helping us finalize scheduling details, and recommending alternate venues when our original site fell through. From our first meeting over iced coffee, we felt that they really wanted to get to know us as a couple. We took advantage of doing our engagement shoot with the Smiths as well, and we could not have felt more comfortable in front of the camera. Jessica and Critty really created an atmosphere that allowed our personalities and relationship to shine through the photos. We are planning to have them photograph us many more times in the years to come!

Sent on 01/07/2018

Dannie · Married on 10/07/2017

Words can not even describe how amazing of a team Jessica and Critty are! From the moment we met we knew that they were the perfect fit for us. They truly went above and beyond what we expected from our wedding photographers. They are extremely approachable and easy to work with. We really appreciated all of the hard work and effort that they put into making this experience feel personalized and special. Although we live in New Jersey, they kept us involved over Facetime and email. This was so helpful while planning a destination wedding in Charleston. We could not be happier with our engagement and wedding pictures. We can look at our photos and really feel the love and happiness from our wedding day. They are so focused on making sure you have the best moments captured on film. I HIGHLY recommend choosing Jessica and Critty to be apart of your day. Not only will you have a very talented photography team there for you, but you will have the most genuine, caring couple supporting you throughout the day!

Sent on 01/06/2018

Allison · Married on 09/27/2017

Jessica + Critty are amazing. They bring passion, thoughtfulness, and emotion to everything they do. Our engagement and wedding photos were perfect - capturing our essence as a couple without being posed or uncomfortable. They took the time to understand our relationship and carried that through the entire process. They were part of our wedding, not just our photographers, and now, even new friends.

Sent on 03/16/2018

Katie · Married on 08/05/2017

We could not recommend the Smiths more! There are not enough words to describe the experience we had with them. We love how natural all of our photos are and they truly captured our relationship. They are so personable, laid back, and knowledgeable about what they do. You can truly tell they are so passionate about their work and it is shown in the prints, photos, and demeanor. We are so thankful we had them for our day and will continue to use them for family pictures to come!

Sent on 11/15/2017

Keith · event on: 07/05/2016

Jessica and Critty were awesome and did an amazing job taking our engagement photos in Charleston. Everything from ironing out the location/pricing details, organizing hair/makeup, the shoot, and receiving the photos were just as expected and could not have gone smoother. These two were a pleasure to be around, made the photo session relaxed/fun, and anyone would be lucky to work with them.

Sent on 10/26/2016

L · Married on 05/12/2017

Jessica and Critty were absolutely amazing to work with! They were on top of everything every step of the way (and even went above and beyond to help coordinate with our planner). They made the photo shoots so relaxed you just felt like you were hanging with your best friends, yet they captured every moment so perfectly! My favorite thing that they did during our reception was they pulled us away for a few minutes and created time for us to take a moment and take everything in. We will remember and cherish those moments forever! We cannot thank you enough!

Sent on 08/27/2017

Caitlin · Married on 04/08/2017

If you want to make the best decision for your wedding, go with the Smiths!!! The Smiths were perfect! I hate photos of myself but I want to put wallpaper all over my house with their photos! They captured all the moments we were looking and so many that we didn't even know were happening. I received so many compliments on the photos and a lot of people didn't even realize they were at the wedding because they just blended in. I loved how they took the time to get a list of the photos I wanted and captured in a style that was "us." I am not one for those cheesy photos but felt these photos captured us and our moment!!! I wish I could get married every week or at least have them follow me around documenting my life! Love them both and will definitely be using them again as a family photographer since it will be hard to compete with perfect!

Sent on 09/26/2017

Amy · Married on 11/05/2016

The Smiths have been my go-to photographers for all my family pictures and my wedding was no different. The pictures are amazing and I'm totally in love with them. The Smiths worked in all our requests and captured all of our special moments. They did all that without being obtrusive - I barely knew they were around but they were quietly in the wings capturing everything. Thank you for the amazing momentos of our special day!

Sent on 01/21/2017

Paul · Married on 10/22/2016

The Smiths Do Love is not just the name of their business, but an apposite reflection of their care and interest in more than the event. Jessica and Critty demonstrate their own chemistry as they mingle with guests, assess the wants, needs, and emotions of each person surrounding the betrothed.

Dan and I had a more personal link to Jessica and Critty via the work relationship that turned into friendship with a natural ease. Critty was able to see my own personal development in the office as I adjusted to being (finally) out of the closet. With such open grace and compassion he helped me feel comfortable in the Charleston area and then after finding out I was engaged to Dan and the wedding date was set, he offered us the most incredible gift-- professional photography of our otherwise modest backyard wedding.

Jessica and Critty went above and beyond what was necessary at any point to accommodate the dynamic personalities within my family, knowing that in an unconventional wedding there would be opportunities for creative shots. From our cats to the Norwegian Kransekake, they knew exactly what to focus on with their lenses.

Their skill was demonstrated in the seamless mingling among guests, assistance in the operations and flow of the all-day open house approach we decided to have. There is no doubt that their goal is the experience, the love, and making the day perfect for the happy couple.

Dan and I cannot speak highly enough about how positive the day went and how much it meant to us to have the support and wonderful photos from the best day of our lives. We are writing this review from our honeymoon in Madeira, reflecting on the power of our wedding day and the friendship that empowered us to step into the rest of our lives. We will forever appreciate the Smiths and what they did for us!

Sent on 02/26/2017

Breanne · Married on 10/21/2016

Jessica and Critty did our wedding photos and they absolutely blew us away. They were so easy to work with, helped us stay in our budget, and let us choose exactly the services we needed. They also shot our engagement and bridal portraits. We were so nervous for our engagement pics but they put us at ease immediately and we had a blast! We hung out and talked for an hour afterwards! Also, Jessica worked a miracle at my bridal portraits! Everything was working against us, the weather, the traffic, the mosquitoes...but Jess kept me calm and got some absolutely amazing shots. And of course on the day of our wedding they could not have been any better. Jess and Critty both went above and beyond to make sure we were satisfied and soaking in the moment. They told us at the beginning of the day that they would make us cry and definitely did! Throughout the day they would remind us to stop and take a moment to realize how special the day was and to reflect on all the wonderful memories we were making! They went above and beyond to make sure our day was special! They felt like old friends by the end of the day and we know that they will be our friends for life! And of course the pictures are perfect!!! They captured all the emotion and love we felt that day and my heart skips a beat every time I look at our photos. I have nothing but wonderful things to say about them and I would absolutely recommend them to anyone looking for a photographer!

Sent on 12/28/2016

Lindsay · Married on 10/15/2016

I honestly couldn't say enough great things about Smith Photos + Ink We had the pleasure of working with Jessica and Critty and they were extremely professional! We live in CT and got married in Charleston so most of the planning was over Facetime and it was so easy to work with them! We felt Jessica and Critty really took the time to get to know us and understand what photos were important to us and they captured all of moments that we really wanted. The photos that we received are absolutely GORGEOUS and we received them earlier than anticipated. Again, they were such a pleasure to work with! We would recommend them to anyone in a heartbeat!

Sent on 01/02/2017

Lindsay · Married on 10/15/2016

Sent on 01/02/2017

Valerie · Married on 10/01/2016

Jessica and Critty were amazing! Consumate professionals. They even helped out with a few wedding hiccups (like getting me, the bride, to the venue!). We will use them again for any and all family photography needs.

Sent on 12/13/2016
  • I

Irina · Married on 08/12/2016

We were so happy and fortunate to have had Jessica and Critty captured our very special day. Not only they are amazing photographers and artists who love what they do, they are incredible people. We enjoyed working with them greatly! From the very first meeting Jessica and Critty made it very easy and comfortable for us. They genuinely wanted to get to know us, hear our ideas and thoughts, learn about our plans for the wedding and make sure they know our closest family and friends.
    On the day of the wedding Jessica and Critty were with us and our guests at all times taking pictures but not intefering with what was going on. The results are amazing! They managed to capture moments and emotions associated with them and tell a story about our wedding day in a intimate natural way. Every time we look at our pictures we relive our wedding day over again. We highly recommend them!

Sent on 11/03/2016

Alyse · Married on 06/10/2016

We hired Smith photos + ink for our engagement and wedding photos. From the beginning Jessica was great to work with - super fast communication, answered all our questions, very affordable, and truly captured the look we wanted. She walked around with us for hours in downtown Charleston for our engagement photos and got almost every look from my Pinterest board. We got all of our pictures back quickly and through a super easy online download. Jessica had her husband, Critty, and an assistant to photograph our wedding and we got so many awesome pics back. They were with us the whole wedding day, and they treat you like a close friend and not someone who just hired them to show up. We have loved working with them from day 1 and we will definitely have more photoshoots with them in the future

Sent on 10/30/2016

Jill · Married on 04/28/2016

These guys are killer! Killer couple! Killer photographers!! Killer fast friends!! No better way to describe Jessica& Critty of Smith photos& ink! They were fantastic to work with, to get to know and to spend our wedding day with! Extremely talented, cool, calm and collected! Very easy process for all and we couldn't have made a better choice!

Sent on 08/19/2016

Nicole · Married on 04/21/2016

Jessica and Critty are absolutely amazing! Our Engagement and Wedding photographs turn out absolutely perfect. We could not have asked for better pictures. They truly represented who we are as a couple. We love all of them! Jessica and Critty were also super easy to work with. They have an awesome way of making us feel totally relaxed and normal while being photographed. We love that the majority of our photos are action shots and not too posy and staged. We will no doubt be using them for any other major events in our lives!

Sent on 06/06/2016

Jenna · Married on 04/09/2016

Jessica and Critty are amazing photographers. Our wedding pictures and my bridal portraits were beautiful. They are very attentive to details, and extremely easy to work with. A+

Sent on 06/06/2016

Logan · Married on 01/30/2016

We were amazed with the way Jessica and Critty were able to capture the story and the spirit of our wedding and reception. They took the time to really understand us, who we are, and what our hopes were for that day. They captured our adventures perfectly, in a natural and unobtrusive way. The result was a truly authentic visual remembrance—one that tells a story—not only of the people and the moments, but of the “soul” of that day. We look forward to revisiting these beautifully captured moments often through the years, and always having these photos to take us back to the essence of our day. The photos from Jessica and Critty tell our wedding story better than we ever hoped for, and we would recommend them a thousand times over.
    --Logan and Bart Valley

Sent on 04/11/2016

Meredith · Married on 11/07/2015

I can't say enough about Smith Photos + Ink!! Choosing a photographer was overwhelming for me because there are so many in Charleston but from our very first conversation I knew Jessica was perfect for us! We ended up doing an engagement shoot and bridal shoot as well as wedding day coverage and I'm so glad we did!
    I'm a list person so here are my favorite things about Jessica:
    1. She not only has a creative eye but she is also super organized - she knew exactly what questions to ask to make sure we were always on the same page
    2. She is friendly and easy to work with - engagement shoots (and bridal shoots) have the potential to be super awkward but with Jessica we felt at ease quickly and it shows in our photos
    3. She works very quickly - photo editing is such a time consuming process so it was such a treat to have all of our photos very quickly
    4. She goes above and beyond - it was supposed to rain the day of my bridal shoot (and of course I'd planned to be outside) but Jessica made sure everything would be ok, she had researched back-up options in case we needed to move inside and made herself available earlier than we'd planned so we could beat the rain
    5. She rolls with the punches - I was 45 minutes late getting ready on the day of my wedding (I'm honestly still not sure how it happened) but as usual Jessica was a rock-star, she calmed my nerves and somehow managed to get amazing bridal party shots in ten minutes instead of the hour we'd planned for (side note - definitely consider a first look, if I hadn't planned for a first look I would've been 45 minutes late for my ceremony)
    Do yourself a favor and give Jessica a call!

Sent on 12/08/2015

Julie · Married on 11/06/2015

Working with Jessica and Critty was such a great experience! It was really special having a husband and wife duo photograph our wedding. As a married couple themselves, they know exactly what their brides and grooms are going through! It was especially great having Critty as a second shooter to capture the guys, while Jessica was with my bridesmaids and I.

We currently live in Atlanta, but communicating long-distance with Jessica and Critty was never an issue. She was very accessible throughout the whole process. In our initial talks, they really took the time getting to know us and our vision for our wedding. They are very flexible working with weddings of all shapes and sizes and really personalize the experience for you.

Jessica was even extremely flexible traveling to Atlanta for our engagement photos (which we LOVED!). She was very thorough and made sure to check in at various times leading up to the wedding. She made organizing our shot list very convenient and offered great insight when making the final outline. The day of the wedding Jessica and Critty were great at staying organized and on schedule, making sure to get every shot. We had many friends say how stealth they were during the ceremony and reception, but managed to capture all of the best and candid moments!

Shortly after the wedding, Jessica was quick and so sweet to send us a teaser of our photos. We received the final edit of our photos within a month and were so pleased. She made it very easy to access them online and download without any issue. My husband and I were so lucky to have such a great team capture our best day ever. I highly recommend them!

Sent on 02/07/2016

Amanda · Married on 10/24/2015

Choosing Smith Photos + ink was the best decision I made as a bride by far! When I thought about what I envisioned in my wedding and engagement photos, I knew I wanted the photos to capture who Zach and I were as a couple- all of the love, laughter, and fun times we have together :) I also knew that I wanted the typical photos to show this more candid side of us while also having those moments captured in time. Jessica was great to work with from start to finish (of course Christopher was great too!!). During our initial conversations, I knew immediately they were the perfect fit. Seeing previous photos they had done, I knew they just "got" it when it came to candid photos and capturing all of the things that are easily seen in person but that are hard to capture in photos. Jessica has a unique talent of finding the small details and bringing those into the forefront to showcase them such as the smiles in our eyes when we looked at each other, all the way to the moments when you think people aren't looking, and even the vividness of our centerpieces and small details. While I could go on and on about how truly great Jessica is as a photographer and person, I feel like the photos speak volumes themselves. I wish I could showcase how truly talented and special Jessica and Smith photos + ink are and why I would highly recommend them to others. We plan on having them document big moments in our lives for years to come!

Sent on 12/31/2015

Melody · Married on 10/17/2015

My Husband, William, and I are from Florida and chose to do a destination wedding to Charleston, South Carolina. I used theknot to find Smith Photos + Ink. We could not be happier with our decision! Jessica & Critty - the Husband & Wife team behind Smith Photos + Ink - are two incredible photographers; not to mention great people. I am a very detail oriented type of person (some may call me "A Type"). From the very beginning, I could tell that Jessica was my kinda person. She asked all the right questions and always payed attention to the little things. I find that to be extremely important in a photographer because it's the little things that make up the big picture and both Jessica and her husband did a flawless job in capturing the emotion and moments of our big day through candid & staged photography. Not only do they pay close attention to detail but they are wonderfully organized and keep the ball rolling. Both my husband and I come from large, loud & hard to control families but with Jessica & Critty behind the lens, we were able to complete all of the photos we wanted before the conclusion of cocktail hour. Lastly, Jessica & Critty became our friends through this process. We are forever grateful to them for the wonderful work they do and the great people they are. I would recommend them to anybody who asks. And to those who don't solicit a recommendation, I would do so anyways!

Sent on 11/18/2015