The Sanctuary on Penn Reviews

The Sanctuary on Penn 7
  • Cathy

Cathy · Married on 04/06/2019

Amazing Wedding Venue

The Sanctuary on Penn was an absolute dream of a wedding venue. We held our ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception there. Scott and Evan could not have been more helpful throughout the planning process and ran things so smoothly on our wedding day. There is nothing more you can ask for that to have absolutely no issues on your wedding day and for things to run like a well oiled machine.

Sent on 04/12/2019

Jordan · Married on 12/08/2018

Great venue!

We got married at Sanctuary on Penn last month. We had THE BEST NIGHT! My husband and I met in New York and this building reminds us of the old churches in Manhattan. It was as close as we were going to get to a real chruch - his family is Italian Catholic and my family is Jewish, so a religious venue was out of the question.
    Everything ran smoothly (with one bump in the road of not having coffee brewed for my husbands very italian family), but everything was absolutely perfect. We scheduled our wedding 10 months in advance and met with Scott whenever we needed to. I'm an event planner for a living, so I did a lot of the planning myself. Scott gave us all the vendors they work with and we used almost all of them. Everyone was an absolute dream to work with! Kai was a terrific banquet captain and made sure everything was up to my (ridiculously high) standard. I can't say enough good things about this place! I will say that you have to be pretty self motivated to have your wedding here, but they make it easy and beautiful. I would HIGHLY recommend this venue to anyone getting married. Our wedding was an absolute dream.

Sent on 01/10/2019

Abby · Married on 10/20/2018

Amazing Venue!!!!

We couldn’t have asked for a better venue for our reception. Besides the amazing staff, caterer, and dj we really loved the fact that we could choose every aspect of our evening through their a la cart system. They were so helpful in keeping us organized and assisting with anything and everything we needed. Their flexibility in allowing us to get items and decor into the facility the week of our wedding, to accepting our flower deliveries, and allowing our reservation of the venue for the entire day was a huge plus. We received so many compliments about character of the venue, food, and the dj. My favorite comment was, “I’ve never been to a wedding full of life and love where the guests didn’t want to stop dancing!” Thank you Sanctuary on Penn for the most memorable evening yet! We love you guys and will tell everyone about our special night!

Sent on 12/04/2018

Caitlin · Married on 08/11/2018

It was literally a dream! I couldn’t have picked somewhere better for our big day! Thank you Scott and Evan!

Sent on 09/05/2018
    The Sanctuary on Penn 17
    The Sanctuary on Penn 18
    The Sanctuary on Penn 19
    The Sanctuary on Penn 20
    The Sanctuary on Penn 21
    The Sanctuary on Penn 22

Kelly · Married on 12/09/2017

We cannot believe how lucky we are!! The Sanctuary on Penn ABSOLUTELY gave us the best day of our lives!! From the beyond beautiful building to the amazing staff, don’t go any where else!!! I cannot say enough great things about them! Scott and Marcia make it such a priority to give you everything you want!! They even BREWED my husband sweet tea because he doesn’t drink. Also make sure to use their photographers and videographer, they are the BEST that you can find. We cannot thank you enough for our perfect day, Sanctuary on Penn family!!

Sent on 07/26/2018

Kevin · Married on 09/23/2017

My wife Amanda and I were married at the Sanctuary on September 23rd of this year. The morning after, I couldn't help but think how magical the night before had been. Surely, I must wait some time for that magical feeling to fade, before writing a proper review.
    Now, exactly one month later, that magical feeling remains. Everything about the venue -- the ambiance, the amenities, the service -- is still as magical in my heart and mind as it was that evening, and the days that followed.
    Let me start with Scott, the owner and wedding planner. When he first gave us a tour of the place, we were struck with its historic charm and beauty. Initially, we were a little unsure of him. We liked the guy, sure, but how much of his tour was just an act to get us to sign on, versus a genuine enthusiasm for his job, and genuine care and concern for the bride & groom?
    Well, turns out Scott is exactly who he made himself out to be -- a great wedding planner, an incredible day-of coordinator, and a man who cares very deeply about the experience that the bride and groom have.
    In the months leading up to our wedding, Scott and Marcia (his assistant) weaved us through all the intricacies of the day with the grace and precision of an Olympic figure skater. What might have been a complicated process turned out to be fairly simple. The Sanctuary comes with their set of preferred vendors, and each one of them hit the mark!
    Post Road English Garden for flowers? Elegant to a fault, down to the petals lining the aisle.
    Heavenly Sweets for cake? Multiple guests told us it was the best cake they've ever had!
    DJ Don Masters for entertainment? He knew how to get people out on the dance floor, and keep 'em there.
    Oh sure, there were minor problems. But when there were? Scott was there to solve them.
    Needless to say, the wedding day went off without a hitch. It was even better than we pictured it in our wildest dreams.

Sent on 02/25/2018

Lacey · Married on 09/09/2017

I simply cannot say enough great things about The Sanctuary! Aside from the venue being absolutely gorgeous, Scott and his staff are simply amazing...from the help with the planning, to the rehearsal and day of coordination—everything went flawlessly. We had around 200 people for both the ceremony and reception, and the staff was able to quickly move everyone and everything to keep the evening flowing. I swear they flipped the room from the ceremony to the reception in 30 mins! I have received so many compliments about the venue and just the overall flow/feel of our wedding since, and would highly recommend booking with them. I told Scott that I did not want to refer friends because I did not want anyone else to have as great of a wedding as we did :)

Sent on 06/13/2018

Kelsey · Married on 12/31/2015

I've spent a lot of time thinking about how to phrase my review because I want to make sure I appropriately convey how phenomenal my experience was with Sanctuary on Penn. I am shocked by the negative reviews and just want to say to the guests writing reviews that attended weddings here and didn't like them for whatever reason...it really isn't about you. My (now) husband and I got married here about a month ago and it was the best day of our lives. We originally knew we chose the right venue after someone essentially tried to bribe Sanctuary to give them our wedding date and they did not allow it. I am a very Type A person but Scott and Marcia made me feel comfortable every step of the way. Scott met with us as many times as we wanted to review details and never once got impatient or annoyed, even though I'm sure I was super annoying at times. Leading up to the wedding, I felt like I was calling or e-mailing Marcia almost every day and she always responded very quickly and was extremely friendly and helpful. I was able to relax the day of the wedding and rehearsal which was not what I expected to happen, but I just felt so confident they had everything under control that I was able to fully enjoy my wedding day as everyone should be able to. If anything went wrong the entire day, I had absolutely no idea...and I'm pretty sure I would have noticed. :) We used all of their vendors (except for cupcakes but only because we wanted vegan ones) and it was such a breeze compared to what I hear from friends that have had weddings elsewhere and needed to coordinate logistics and payment with 5+ different ones. I did not have a very specific vision for a lot of aspects of the wedding so I allowed the professionals to use their creative discretion and everything turned out so much better than it would have if I had picked it myself. It was like they knew exactly what I wanted even though I had only provided some high-level thoughts. My guests are still raving about the food,

Sent on 02/01/2016
  • Charla

Charla · Married on 03/27/2015

I first visited the Sanctuary on Penn for a NYE event celebrating 2014. My (now) husband and I walked in and said to each other that we wanted to eventually get married there. A little over a year later and we did!

Choosing a venue was one of the first planning tasks I completed. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to afford the Sanctuary and checked out other places. I found some really affordable hotel ballrooms and community spaces, but no one had the charm of the Sanctuary. Once I factored in how much we would save on decor and all of the complementary services provided by the Sanctuary it was a no brainer. The Sanctuary would give us the biggest bang for our buck.

What's awesome about the Sanctuary is its all inclusive style. I had my own DJ, photographer, hair, and makeup artist, but anything else I needed the Sanctuary provided. It was such a mental and financial relief to be able to bundle all of these services into one rate. They also had a wonderful payment option of making monthly payments for services rather than requiring large 50% deposits and another large payment due with our final count. For my husband and I, who share expenses with our parents, this was a smooth plan that ensured we walked away from the wedding with no debt.

Our ceremony and reception were beautiful. As expected, we needed minimal decorations because the space is beautiful on its own. Scott and Lorie made sure everything rolled out smoothly and Rosie left all of our guest stuffed and satisfied. Speaking of Rosie... she's good. So So Good. You know that food that makes you hum when you eat it.... yea our reception dinner made us do that.

I would suggest the Sanctuary on Penn to anyone looking to get married in the Indianapolis area. They staff was wonderful to work with and the space is beautiful.

Sent on 04/08/2015
  • Danielle

Danielle · Married on 08/31/2014

We loved the look of the Sanctuary and would not have wanted our wedding anywhere else. It was absolutely beautiful!! Scott and Lorie were amazing to work with and really brought everything together on our day and made sure everything went smoothly. The staff was attentive and helpful. The food was delicious. Our wedding day was everything we wanted it to be!! :)

Sent on 09/15/2014
  • Cassandra

Cassandra · Married on 05/31/2014

We got married at The Sanctuary on Penn on May 31, 2014 and had a great experience! Scott and Lorie did everything they could to make sure we had exactly the wedding we wanted. They were very helpful in keeping us on track during the planning process by going over our "homework" to-do checklist at each of our meetings, and were available to help as much or as little as we needed. Their chef sat down with us and really talked with us about the type of food we wanted, and came up with a menu just for us. On the day of the wedding, they checked in with us regularly to make sure we had everything we needed, and were able to deal with the inevitable hiccups in a professional manner. It was great not having to worry about set-up and break down, or coordinating vendor deliveries, so we and our family and friends were able to enjoy the entire night. They took care of so many of the little details that would have otherwise driven me insane.

And I also must say the venue itself is BEAUTIFUL! It did not take a lot of decoration to make the room look amazing. All of our guests said that everything was wonderful, and they all had a great time. If you are looking for a gorgeous, unique venue and great people to work with, this is your place. I would definitely consider holding other events here in the future.

Sent on 06/18/2014

Dawn · Married on 02/01/2014

The Sanctuary on Penn is SO beautiful. I am taking the time to write this because I am so grateful to them for making my day so personal and special.
    - The staff was great. When I had problems/questions, I would always receive help in a timely manner. Whenever I stopped in everyone was more than helpful.
    - I know there was a wedding the night before, and I was really impressed how great the venue looked that morning when I arrived. The wedding coordinator was there to greet us in the morning and went over things with me that she had questions about and fixed things that I saw that I didn't like.
    - In between the ceremony and the reception, the changing of the rooms was amazing! My mom and dad had me go in and look to make sure everything was alright before we let guests in and the tables and arrangements looked like a whole new place!
    - I had discussed with Scott, the owner, my concerns that I had heard from a previous bride, and for the most part I was very happy about all those being addressed. I felt that if a problem/concern arose the day of if I said something to Scott or Lori, the wedding coordinator, it was taken care of.
    .- The food was AMAZING and we have received many compliments on the dinner!!!
    –The owner and coordinator just seemed to pop out of nowhere throughout the day and ask what they could do to help.
    -The building was perfect for what I was looking for. This place is over a century old and was getting ready to be either turned into condos, or was facing a wrecking ball. The owner saw potential in it and brought the place back to life.
    Everything ran very smooth, and they helped us stay calm on the day. I HIGHLY recommend it if you’re looking for something nontraditional and off of the beaten path!

Sent on 02/12/2014

Marnie · Married on 08/24/2013

We had our wedding reception at the Sanctuary on Penn one year ago tomorrow and it was the most unforgettable of experiences. Part of the reason it has taken us so long to write this review is that the year has flown by and our wedding day feels like just yesterday. Scott is truly passionate about what he does and we trusted him and his vision to materialize on this most special of days. We could not have been happier or feel more fortunate to have Scott and Lorie in charge of our celebration. The decision to have your wedding and/or wedding reception at the Sanctuary on Penn is the best you will ever make. I had quite a few homemade decorations that I brought in the day before, like chalkboard signs, candles, vases, and books, and Lorie really put me at ease (in my day-before-the-wedding stressed out state) and assured me she would be able to set everything up in the way I requested. In fact, she did a much better job with this than any idea I even had in my head. Scott did our photography as well and we couldn’t be happier with the results. Every part of our experience with the Sanctuary was so personal and we really felt at home there. It is evident that Scott, Lorie, and the whole team really cares about people and are willing to bend over backward to make your day special. We never felt like they had any other weddings to think about even though we know their schedule was completely booked. And the food was excellent and people are still talking about how delicious everything was. Justin is an incredibly talented chef and very humble at the same time, and made it fun to plan that part of our day. We knew that whatever meal we chose that it would be amazing. Every part of our day was completely customizable and that never felt daunting because we had the best team to help at every step of the way. If you are looking for a place with talented, creative, and caring people to make your wedding day unique and the furthest thing from cookie-cutter, you should check o

Sent on 08/23/2014

Allison · Married on 06/19/2012

Scott and Berrybarbara were awesome! My husband and I had originally hired them for the photography for our big day. However, through the course of our planning our venue fell through, we changed the date of our wedding and they bought The Sanctuary on Penn. They helped me and my husband and families to stay calm and helped us make it to the big day without killing one another. with tensions high an nerves at their worst they helped us be at our best. They made themselves available to us in all ways, I was always able to get a hold of them somehow, someway. The building itself is beautiful and the people within it made it shine. I would recommend this facility to anyone. I am thankful for the guidance throughout my event planning and my special day!!

Sent on 12/28/2012

Ashley · Married on 10/19/2013

Sanctuary on Penn was amazing. I truly feel like they are part of our family now. Thank you for a wonderful day. This is the NEW and upcoming place to have your dream wedding. I look forward to working with them again for future events.

The Powell Family

Sent on 11/03/2013

Monica · Married on 08/15/2015

I got married here last month, and I can't stop thinking about how wonderful our day was. We live out of town, and the way they helped us plan everything was amazing. I can't imagine doing or planning all those things on my own. The food was out of this world, and I forget the name of it but the sauce that was on the chicken was some of the best I've ever had. At the end of the night they let us dance as long as we wanted and we took full advantage of it. Everything was so much fun!!!

Sent on 09/03/2015

Brandy · Married on 12/08/2012

My wedding turned out so beautiful! The people here are so great to work with (Jonna, Scott, Justin & others). Food was amazing, service great & beautiful venue!

Sent on 12/15/2012
  • Valentine

Valentine · Married on 02/03/2018

3.8
      3.5

Love that this place is basically all inclusive. If you want to do everything here they will make it happen. We only used this space for our reception site and dinner. The FOOD WAS SOOOOOO GOOD. They can make just about anything you want and will tailor your menu to exactly what you want. I recommend anything wrapped in bacon. The space is beautiful so its great if you want to save money on décor. It doesn't need much, however, i wanted MUCH! I was able to bring my own things show them what i wanted and they set everything up and took it all down! There were a few communication issues but were always resolved quickly. Scott and his team work very hard to make sure the bride and groom don't have to worry. I was never bothered with any issues on the day of. If something went wrong i didn't know about it or notice. We had several planning meetings to go every details and they made sure we were covered on things that they weren't even involved in! They also provide monthly billing with makes it much easier than lump payments. Also they have a variety of other discounts depending on time of year and timing of wedding date. The ease of payment and inclusive options were a big draw. Plus they have convenient parking for guests, plus space to get ready or hide if you need some time alone.

Sent on 02/09/2018

0.5
      2.5
      2.5
      0.5

I was married at the Sanctuary on Penn in October 2013 and would not recommend this space for a wedding under any circumstances. It is highly disorganized and unprofessional and we regret that we had our wedding there.

General environment:
    One of the reasons we booked at the Sanctuary was that it is a gorgeous old building with character. That does not excuse some of the general disrepair of the venue. First off, way back on November 25th, 2012 when I saw the venue for the 1st time, I asked one of the multiple wedding coordinators we dealt with over the year about the air conditioning. It was cold that day and she joked that the AC worked a lot better than the heat. Granted, our wedding day was an unseasonably warm day (low 80s), but the venue was NOT at a comfortable temperature for us or our guests. I can't imagine how they can book summer weddings in good conscience with the lack of climate control. Had I known that the venue would have been so uncomfortable, I would have booked elsewhere. Additionally, it was a rainy day and the leaking roof was out of control. There were major leaks in the bar room, the main hall and over the steps to the loft (presenting quite a safety hazard). One of our tables full of my older relatives had to physically move their table during dinner to avoid being rained on. This is absolutely ridiculous and very embarrassing. I certainly was not expecting our guests to have to avoid the rain WHILE INSIDE.

There were many other issues, but first and foremost, the chef DID NOT SHOW UP the day of our wedding. Avoid at all costs.

Sent on 08/11/2014
  • User5392038 · 2+ years ago

0.0

We got married here a few months ago an had a great day, all due to the extra work Lorie put in. I am sad to hear that Scott fired her for personal reasons at the beginning of July. She is what made that place tick. We had heard dicey things about going through their vendors, especially their photography, but we couldn't pass up such a good deal!! 5 months later, we still do not have even a preview of our photos. We get excuse after excuse and it has been a nightmare even getting in contact with anyone or a phone call returned. If Lorie was still there I would recommend this place, but without her, I cannot. I am also sad to hear that the building is being prepped to be sold in the next two years or so. My only hope is that is stays a wedding hall and not turned into condos!!

Sent on 08/30/2015