The PRADO at Balboa Park Reviews

The PRADO at Balboa Park 3
  • Yasmin

Yasmin · Married on 06/16/2018

Best Day Ever!

Our wedding was like own fairy tale come to life! The venues we choose was the loggia room small yet just right for our wedding list. The wedding was beyond prefect and the staff were just amazing! Rachel (Catering sales Manager ) in particular had all the answers to any questions or concerns we had and would make sure we were not stressing over our special day. I would highly recommend the prado and their many venues!

The PRADO at Balboa Park 4
    The PRADO at Balboa Park 5
    The PRADO at Balboa Park 6

Stephanie · Married on 11/18/2017

We had a lovely little ceremony by the wishing well followed by a reception in the Alhambra Room. The wishing well area was absolutely gorgeous. Even though there was a mariachi band playing in the courtyard, the sound didn't carry through to our reception which was quiet and beautiful. The park was very busy on a Saturday, but during our ceremony we could still hear the trees rustling and the calls of gulls circling overhead. The event still felt private. The Alhambra Room was perfect for our small group of 50 people, and the view from the terrace was stunning at sunset. Rachael was very helpful throughout the planning process and quickly answered any questions I had. The food was excellent, and the the Prado's wedding package made planning easy. I have no regrets and highly recommend the Prado for a beautiful and romantic wedding and reception.

Kristinne · Married on 09/30/2017

Marcy Malley at the Prado went above and beyond in helping us secure the Prado for our dream wedding! We had our ceremony at the Casa Del Rey Moro garden and reception in the grand ballroom - everything was superb and beyond our expectation! We had toured other venues at similar (if not, more expensive) price ranges, and we chose the Prado for its amazing service and staff (and food DUH! But more on that later). During our visit with the Prado, we saw the staff in action preparing for a wedding later that day. Boy did they impress us! Everything they did was so professional, personable, calm, and beautifully well done – especially behind the scenes! The Prado knows how to do weddings and boy do they do it right! Marcy was so accommodating with us – we wanted to serve champagne before the ceremony and it was such a big hit! And the FOOD! THE FOOD IS SOO GOOD! It was all so delicious! From drinks to cocktail hour appetizers to dinner entrées – everything they offer is amazing. The bartenders and service staff treated us and our guests so well – everyone had such a great time. Also, the synchronized service at dinner was so beautifully done. We highly recommend the Prado for weddings and the beef short ribs too! =)

AMELIA · Married on 06/24/2017

Ask for Rachael, she was awesome.
    Everything went perfect. The food was magnificent. We received a lot of compliments on the food.

Marcella · Married on 04/07/2017

I cannot recommend this place enough the coordinator Rachael was incredible how well they took care of our guests was incredible our guests still talk about the Prado buffett menu we chose they let us get furniture in and brought us food and cake so we actually got to eat during our reception. Cocktail hour was great and it was a beautiful place for picturesque views in the loggia room . Even the day before our in laws surprised us with a rehearsal dinner and the food was so great

Kathleen · Married on 03/25/2017

Words cannot describe how amazing our experience at The Prado was! After our ceremony at the St. Francis Chapel we had our reception in the Loggia Room at The Prado. It could not have been a more spectacular venue. My now husband and I didn't want the more traditional ballroom look and the tile floors, wooden beams, windows, and balconies of the Loggia Room could not have been more perfect or beautiful. Our guests could not stop talking about how gorgeous our setting was - or how phenomenal the food was. We had a handful of fantastic appetizers and then the Taste of the Prado buffet and it truly was delicious! What really made our experience so great however, was The Prado team. We worked with Marcy to plan our reception and I cannot say enough great things about her. Leading up to our big day, Marcy was so on top of everything. She was incredibly patient with all of our questions and last minute adds/changes and was so flexible - letting us store decorations in her office the few days before and even letting us substitute in our own cava for the evening. We were on a fairly tight budget and Marcy really worked with us to make sure we stayed on track. On top of being amazing at what she does, Marcy is just a very nice, genuine person who wants to make sure couples have the day they imagined. We absolutely loved working with her! The rest of the staff at The Prado were equally delightful and amazing. They were so pleasant and attentive, always making sure everyone, not just my husband and I, were well taken care of the night of our reception. My mom told me that her champagne flute was always stealthily and magically filled the whole evening! The entire team went above and beyond to make our night perfect. I needed a few hugs from some of the ladies by the end of it! We cannot thank or recommend The Prado enough! One closing note: I was initially not sure The Prado would be in our budget but it was so reasonable!

Marissa · Married on 02/25/2017

The Prado at Balboa Park was a dream come true for us! Marcy Melley is nothing short of incredible! She was so patient, professional and helpful helping our wedding day details come true! The Prado exhibited incredibly professionalism and watching them in action on our actual wedding day serve, cater to us and our guests was 5 star! We had our wedding cocktail hour and dancing in the Alhambra Room and our actual dinner in the Loggia Room. We had a complex wedding plan and the Prado knocked it out of the park and our wedding day was absolutely perfect. Thank you to the Prado and Marcy for an unforgettable wedding reception!

• GabyJuly

Gabriella · Married on 01/07/2017

We had our wedding reception in the Loggia Room, looking out over both The Prado courtyard and the magnificent views of Balboa Park. I was surprised that the minimum costs for the Loggia were not actually any more expensive than other venues we toured yet the Loggia has the benefit of its beautiful décor, amazing location, and, of course, the awesomeness of The Prado catering.

We worked with Marcy Melley through the process and she definitely is “the boss” as many vendors we talked to said. Marcy did not only work out an order which kept The Prado’s high standards for their business, she organized an event which would provide our guests and us with lasting joyous memories. I was impressed that Marcy not only listened to our worries about other parts of the day but also was first to recommend how we could alleviate those worries. She worked with us wanting to bring in outside wine (fitting with The Prado’s regulations) from my dad’s favorite winery and even got us the scallops (add-on side dish for entrée) as a plated appetizer while respecting those who cannot eat shellfish by providing a beet salad.

Speaking of the food, The Prado’s white-glove service came through at the reception. Guests were served their plates simultaneously and those who had dietary restrictions received a pleasant surprise when the staff placed their customized dishes in-front of them without asking questions or bringing attention to it (Marcy was right – place cards with specific symbols help!). Everyone kept mentioning how impressed they were with the service and how elegant each course was (four, in all: plated appetizer, soup, entrée, cake). Also, and probably most enjoyed, everyone was happy that the staff never left a glass empty yet were never pushy to serve more alcohol. It was the perfect balance.

We have always loved The Prado for their professionalism and enjoyable food, all situated in my favorite park in San Diego. It was such a special and memorable experience!

deborah · Married on 11/20/2016

Marcy was truly amazing, knowledgeable and helpful in so many ways. Thank you for all the advice. Your help and knowledge was invaluable! As well as access to a more accessible room for me. Allowing us to practice our adaptive dance in the room made all the difference for our dance during our reception.

The location for the ceremony was beautiful! I only wish it hadn't been raining so that we could have gotten more pictures there!

Marie · Married on 10/08/2016

The Prado is hands down one of the absolute BEST venues where you could host your San Diego wedding. The service is top notch. Rachael responded to every single question right away. We knew we were in great hands and the event was run like a well oiled machine by her staff. When I walked into the ballroom and saw the tables setup with decor and the pin lights, it took my breath away. Everyone raved about the food and loved the hand passed appetizers during cocktail hour. The price, while not cheap, is reasonable considering the quality of food, venue, and service. You will not be disappointed if you have your wedding here, especially in the ballroom. You don't even need decor since the venue and ceremony site is so beautiful itself. Everyone loved Balboa park and said it was one of the best weddings they had ever attended. Thank you Rachael and team for making our wedding a dream.

Doug · Married on 09/02/2016

I recently had the pleasure of working with the Prado for my wedding this past Labor Day Weekend. Not knowing San Diego well enough to pick a wedding venue off the top of our heads, we did a lot of searching online and visiting venues. Each venue had it's plus and minus aspects till we reached The Prado. Everything we read on line about the Prado was positive and, after going through the whole wedding process with them, I completely agree. Here is the most organized summary I could give: 1) The Prado Catering Manager (Marcy) was incredible- We worked with her from our first on-site visit/tour till her hugging us right before we walked down the aisle at the ceremony. She was warm, sweet, funny, and enthusiastic about making this the perfect day for us. She wanted to hear about our proposal and was excited to see our engagement photos when we got them done. Marcy was never pushy or trying to up sell things beyond what she thought was right with what we wanted. Anytime we had a question, I knew Marcy would get back to us immediately with a clear answer. She also provided us with a list of their frequently used vendors which helped us narrow down our search for flowers, day of coordinator, etc. 2) The Venue- The venue is beautiful (which is pretty much what you expect in Balboa Park). We had our ceremony in the Casa del Rey Moro garden, the cocktail hour in their courtyard, and then reception in the grand ballroom. I couldn't have asked for a more beautiful wedding with each of these sites. 3) The Staff- They were amazing. Everyone was so polite and gave impeccable service throughout the evening. 4) The Food- Incredible, everyone said it was the best wedding dinner they ever had.

Anna · Married on 01/17/2016

We had our wedding reception at The Prado at the beginning of December and it was absolutely perfect. The food was delicious, the space was incredible and the service was great - we could not have asked for anything more. Getting married in Balboa Park was a blast and we highly recommend this wedding venue to anyone looking to get married in San Diego. We had a lot of out of town guests who were blown away by the space. Additionally, their recommended vendor list was extremely helpful and most of the vendors we used were from this list. It really helped us out with narrowing down all the thousands of options for vendors in the San Diego area. Such a perfect day, and everyone was extremely accommodating throughout the entire planning process.

Dawn · Married on 09/19/2015

Mary and her staff were an absolute pleasure to work with every single step of the way! They helped us pull off the perfect-for-us wedding and we couldn't be happier about our decision to get married there!! We had our ceremony at the Casa del Rey Moro Garden and then our reception in the Loggia Room, which were both beautiful; the food was delicious; and our service was outstanding. As an added bonus, there really is no way that you will not have gorgeous wedding photos :)

My husband I got married February 15, Valentines Day . Marcy Melly was our venue event manager- she is FABULOUS!

We were so amazed by their service, and the beauty of Balboa Park, truly just adds to the magic of a wedding.

Our wedding is in the Loggia Room, which is spectacular for a small wedding of 80 guests. Beautiful view of the park, and absolutely delicious food.

I HIGHLY recommend this venue!

Bergis · Married on 11/09/2014

We are from Canada and decided that we wanted to have a destination wedding. From the first moment we stepped onto the venue, we fell in love with the beauty of the Prado. We met with Marcy Melley and I knew right away that this was the place we wanted to get married. Marcy was WONDERFUL! She worked with me to make sure I was happy with the vision I had. She would always email or call me to chat about the wedding details. She always responded back promptly. Planning a destination wedding can be quite hard but Marcy made everything run smoothly, sent me pictures when needed, and even recommended me to amazing vendors (ask about her day of planners, Jamie Rury is fabulous). The day of my wedding as corny as this may sound was a dream come true. It was a perfect day. Our guests (we had a 100 people fly down for our wedding) couldn't stop raving about the Prado. They loved the food, the ambience, the staff. Its been 2 weeks and our guests still tell us how much they loved our wedding. Marcy's staff were amazing to work with. During the night, my husband and I were so busy saying hello to everyone, the head person who runs the catering crew during the night, she asked if she could get us our food. I thought it was so thoughtful of her to ask and it ensured that we actually ate during the night! We had a buffet and everyone loved our choice. We added the Paella and it was the hit of the night (definitely add this on, it's worth it). All of the food is gluten free. We had a few vegetarians that the Prado generously offered to do plates for and they absolutely loved the risotto. The Prado also includes a wedding cake in their package. We chose Grove Pastry and we were not disappointed. I appreciate that Marcy and her team only work with high quality vendors. We just received samples of our wedding pictures and it looked like we were in this magical world because of the beauty of the Prado. I highly highly recommend this place. You will not be disappointed.

Lauren · Married on 10/04/2014

Rachael was our event coordinator and was such a pleasure to work with. She was always available by email or phone for any questions or concerns. She made sure everything was available to us on our wedding day and helped our coordinator to make sure everything went smoothly. It was well worth every penny!

Sarah · Married on 09/05/2014

We chose the Prado Grand Ballroom based on the great reviews and the beautiful pictures we found online. The room is just gorgeous and we were drawn by the fact that it had a stage because we intented to use it for our reception program. We worked with Marcy, and she was great to work with. She made sure we understood everything during all of our meetings, and kept us on top of our planning efforts. One of our concerns was the wedding food because we have been to quite a few weddings, and the food is usually not so great. But the wedding food at the Prado is excellent! Just eat at the restaurant, and know that the food you will be served on your wedding day will taste just as amazing! All of our guests complimated the reception venue and said that it was one of the nicest receptions they had been to.

I just can't say enough good things about the Prado. We had a pleasure of working with Marcy who is just amazing and so flexible. She responds to emails right away, gives you her suggestions but does not push you in any direction.I know she does lots of weddings there but she made us feel like we were her only customers. She always had the time to meet with us and discuss the last minute changes. The food at the Prado is AMAZING!!! Best food I've ever had at a wedding. People say they don't have the time to eat at their weddings, I ate everything because it was soooo delicious. We got tons of compliments from our guests. They loved the venue, the food, the service.... One couple even went back to eat at the Prado the next day because they loved the food so much!!! Thank you, thank you for making our day so special!!!!

Ayami · Married on 06/17/2014

The event coordinator Mary was extremely helpful in making sure we made the most informed decisions about both the location and our food choices. She was wonderful about keeping us on track with deadlines and was completely understanding about all of our questions and concerns! And the catering team for our wedding reception at the Prado provided the best service ever!! They definitely treat you great at the Prado!! As for the location, we had the Loggia room and it's a beautiful venue!! It has a patio where we had our cocktail hour and the view overlooking the plaza was amazing!! The food was so delicious and the service was beyond perfect!! It absolutely became one of the best memories of our lives and we are so glad we had our special night at the Prado.

Tyler · Married on 05/03/2014

Marcy was fantastic to deal with, the venue was stunning (perfect weather of course), and the food was phenomenal. What more could you ask for? Justine and I are so happy we chose the Prado to celebrate our special day.

Karis · Married on 02/15/2014

The Prado was fabulous! From the appetizers to the meal, I could not have been more pleased. The food was absolutely delicious! The venue is beautiful and made a wonderful background for our photos. The staff is very professional and is very attentive! I would book the Prado again in a minute and so glad we chose it for our wedding!

Lisa & Mark · Married on 10/20/2013

My wedding at the Prado could not have been any better. The venue is classically beautiful, the atmosphere is magical, the food is delicious and Marcy (the event coordinator) was so wonderful to work with! Thank you the Prado for making my dream wedding a reality!

Sarah · Married on 10/12/2012

I can't say enough great things about Marcy and The Prado. Marcy understood our budget and worked with us the entire time. We were paying for the wedding ourselves and needed to save where ever we could. We were afraid that a reception at The Prado would be too expensive but we fell in love with the loggia room and Marcy helped us make it happen. Everything went smoothly at the reception and we had the time of our lives!

Kylee · Married on 06/24/2012

AMAZING!! The staff at the Prado were a joy to work with. Andrea Pena (Wedding Coordination) and Sofia Picazo (Rehearsal) and their staff made our day easy and stress free. All we had to do was show up :)

My wife, Chrissy, and I would recommend this venue to anyone looking to have a wedding in the San Diego Area!

Kylee and Chrissy Holmes

Jeremy · Married on 05/27/2012

Wedding locations do not get much more scenic than The Prado at Balboa Park! Anyone who has been there, knows it is in the heart of a lot of history and beauty overlooking downtown San Diego.
    We had our wedding and reception here, and both went so smoothly it was almost too good to be true. Completely flawless execution on the behalf of the The Prado, from the management to the serving crew. Clearly this is something they are prepared for, and do on a regular basis.
    The venue is just so unique, personal, and beautiful it is hard to get over. There may be occasional tourists looking on from afar, but that brings with it a special feel of excitement.
    Everything was handled very professionally, and there were many options available to us to help us make this venue work within our budget. Thanks again Prado!