The New York Botanical Garden Reviews

77 | Bronx, NY

77 Reviews for The New York Botanical Garden

Adri · Married on 04/14/2018

My husband and I got married at the Stone Mill in April and could not have asked for a better place to celebrate! John Garone and his team were helpful, accommodating, responsive and easy to work with. Our day-of attendant, Yonas, was also very attentive, sweet and helpful, adding to the overall exceptional service. We did not have a planner or day-of coordinator but the Starr team made sure everything went off without a hitch! The food was plentiful and delicious and the Stone Mill grounds and interior spaces were beautiful and well-kept. We highly recommend hosting your event here!

Sent on 08/07/2018

Roni · Married on 10/07/2017

My daughter's wedding at nybg was pure perfection. Friends and family can't stop talking about it. The ceremony, the food, the service etc went beyond our expectations. It was a fabulous night. Thank you Laura bass and nybg

Sent on 10/10/2017

Katie · Married on 09/23/2017

We are so thrilled we held our wedding at the New York Botanical Garden. We were looking for a venue that had both outdoor and indoor space and the NYBG was perfect! We had our ceremony and cocktail hour outside and then our reception in their beautiful ballroom. Leading up to the wedding Laura Bass was SO helpful and kind, extremely professional and very quick to respond to any questions we had. The day of the wedding all of the staff at the NYBG went above and beyond to make our day incredibly special. Our bridal attendant was amazing and so attentive. Service was wonderful and there were so many compliments on the food. The food, service, staff and venue are all amazing and we're so happy we ended up choosing the NYBG!

Sent on 10/05/2017

M · Married on 09/02/2017

We had an absolutely outstanding time celebrating our wedding day at the New York Botanical Gardens. Everyone on the event staff were incredibly helpful throughout the whole process and were able to customize the day to make it a day we will remember for the rest of our lives. The preferred vendors were very easy to work with and helped to eliminate the typical pain points that come up during the wedding planning process. We had an amazing time with NYBG and are so happy we decided to go have our wedding day on the grounds

Sent on 09/13/2017

We recently got married at the Garden Terrace Room at NYBG and could not be happier with the venue!! Everyone loved it, the setting / space is absolutely beautiful, and the quality of service of the Starr catering staff is spectacular. Throughout the planning process we worked closely with John and were impressed by his professionalism, responsiveness and overall helpfulness. Would definitely recommend this venue / caterer!!!

Sent on 09/03/2017

Tracy · Married on 08/25/2017

I cannot express enough how amazing my experience with NYBG was. Laura Bass, our coordinator, was wonderful from start to finish. Friendly, professional, and organized. My wedding at the Stone Mill was beautiful, and the service was just outstanding! They take care of absolutely everything. All of my guests were raving about the venue and the food.... Oh, the food. The tasting does not do the food justice. The appetizers, entrees, drinks, and desserts were all delicious. Nobody had an empty plate or glass. Totally exceeded my expectations and is worth every penny. I personally feel it is a great value, as everything is included. They also recommend excellent vendors as well. Thank you Laura Bass and everyone at NYBG who made our wedding a dream come true!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sent on 09/07/2017

Alessandra · Married on 08/18/2017

I recently had my wedding at the Stone Mill and it was an amazing event. I worked with Laura in the sales office and she was always extremely professional and friendly. She was also very quick to respond to any questions I had and very flexible when it came to setting up meetings. During the day of the event, the staff was accommodating. All of my guests were raving about the service. The food was amazing as well! I also absolutely loved my bridal attendant, Yonas - he took such good care of us. After it was all over, I felt like planning the wedding was not really that hard. Of course, getting into the details could be a little overwhelming but when I would meet with Laura, she put any worries I had at ease. They made it so easy, I would highly recommend having your event here.

Sent on 08/28/2017
  • F

Febe · Married on 08/17/2017

John Garone and his team have been awesome. They get everything together for us. I was picky on our wedding cake and he managed to communicate well with the baker so as to achieve what we want within our budget. We do not have a wedding planner and we wrote al the instruction on a paper to place all the decor. They did such a great job in coordinating our vendors and create an amazing place setting for our wedding. The bridal attendant, Miguel was amazing, attentive and saved my experience of the wedding as my bridesmaids lost my emergency pouch where all emergency medicine are. He managed to get anti acid medication for me when nobody has any of them as I did not eat enough and get really gassy before the cocktail hour. We really love our menu for the wedding and it tasted amazing, even though we did not get to taste everything we want for the menu. We truly recommend NYBG as a wedding location(so beautiful!) with their great staff on hand! Worth every penny you spent!

Sent on 09/11/2017

Jessica · Married on 07/29/2017

We got married in July 2017 in the Garden Terrace Room. Honestly, what can I say about this venue and caterer that hasn't already been said? After months of venue searching, only to hear "no" to our various requests from each venue, we came upon NYBG and Starr Events. Everything we requested was met with a yes, including the ability to make our own dishes on the menu! Laura Bass was our contact and she was OUTSTANDING. She never made us feel like we couldn't reach out to her. She was always responsive and often answered questions for us that we probably had no business asking her. Working with her was like having a second planner. The room was amazing - perfectly neutral with a huge dance floor, high ceilings, beautiful chandeliers, pin-spot lighting and gorgeous mirrors on the wall. The grounds are, of course, spectacular. We had our cocktail hour outside overlooking the conservatory. It was heaven. Another cocktail hour option is under a tent which is seriously beautiful and air conditioned. The food was amazing - it was ACTUALLY good-tasting food. Not just good for wedding food. My bridal attendant, Alfred (or maybe Albert? I'm sorry, I can't recall!) was so helpful to me. He never left my side the entire night, always bringing me a drink or water. Always making sure I ate something. He was just awesome! There is on-site valet parking so your guests don't have to walk far. I honestly can't think of one thing they do that I would criticize. Everything is top-class and while they are certainly not the cheapest venue, I felt like they were fair with their pricing given the quality.

Sent on 09/23/2017

Maureen · Married on 07/15/2017

The staff, headed by John Garone, were the consummate professionals and made the day not only go off without a hitch, but were thoughtful, accommodating, and ever-watchful throughout the day and evening. The cocktail hour and dinner, as provided by the on-site caterer Starr Catering Group was beautifully presented and delicious. You can't find a more beautiful venue with a nicer talented staff. It was a wonderful planning process in great part due to them.

Sent on 10/02/2017

Marijela · Married on 07/14/2017

Thank you NY Botanical Garden and STARR Catering Group for helping us make our dream come true! My husband Steve and I have been members of the Garden for many years and it is one of our favorite places in New York, specially The Stone Mill which we thought would be the perfect spot for our special day - and it truly was. Working with STARR and Laura Bass was an amazing experience, from start to finish. Everything was beyond our expectations!!!

Best,
    Marijela & Steven

Sent on 08/05/2017

Andrea · Married on 06/30/2017

The team at Starr Catering is incredible! Hands down the best service in New York City for any wedding or event. As a bride who is also in the wedding industry, I wanted only the best. Laura Bass and John Garone are so accommodating and helpful from the first day of planning to your actual wedding day. We worked with Laura throughout the planning process and she made it really fun and not stressful at all. She was always a phone call or an email away. She helped us from planning our menu to every last detail of the day including referring us to our band who we absolutely loved (Hank Lane).

My husband and I had such a blast not only on our actual wedding day but first at the menu tasting which was a couple of months before the wedding. Your treated to wine and appetizers and entrees which will be seasonal on the menu at the time of your wedding. That's when you really feel the sense of the top notch service and professionalism at Starr Catering.

On the actual day of our wedding we felt like we were royalty :-) We got married in the Garden Terrace room and had our ceremony outdoors and everything was absolutely gorgeous! Our personal attendant stayed with us from when we arrived until the very end of the night and he even helped us get into our car at the end of the night.

The staff at Starr Catering were so accommodating and paid so much attention to every last detail. You can tell that they actually really love what they do! I would recommend Starr Catering and all of the amazing staff at the New York Botanical Garden to any couple looking for superior service and want to get married at one of the most beautiful places in New York City!

Sent on 07/10/2017

M · Married on 06/24/2017

We recently got married at the NYBG and could not have been happier with everything. The food, venue, and service were all amazing. I cannot recommend this venue enough.

Sent on 07/05/2017

Eylina · Married on 06/19/2017

We had the wedding in the Stone Mill of NYBG. It was raining that day, and we were not able to have the ceremony outside. But the NYBG team helped us make backup plans and still made our wedding beautiful. The whole night, I was very well pampered and taken care of, and I cannot appreciate enough for that. Despite the rain, all our guests had a great time. The food there was just amazing, and not to say their outstanding service. My husband and I are so glad that we chose this venue.

Sent on 08/01/2017

Jef · Married on 06/17/2017

My wife and I were married at the Botanical Garden's Stone Mill venue, on June 17, 2017. It was absolutely magical. The venue is gorgeous: the ceremony, cocktail hour and after-dinner dancing all took place on a private terrace with he Bronx River running alongside it and with tall, lush trees all around. The reception dinner took place inside the Stone Mill building, which has a beautiful dining room with wooden beams and is just perfect for a small to medium size wedding (maximum number of guests is 120). The Starr Catering staff was terrific: John Garone was our coordinator, and he was enthusiastic, responsive, accommodating to our numerous requests (for example, we requested having an ice cream sundae bar station for dessert instead of one of the appetizer stations that came with our package, and he said 'no problem' and it turned out to be a big hit at the wedding). John also helped coordinate with our vendors (so that we did not need a wedding planner) and he paid great attention to detail, including during the set up of the venue on our wedding day: for example, we had had table cards printed and had little pots of succulent plants as wedding favors, and John arranged the cards and pots on a table in the most lovely and tasteful way as you could imagine. The wait staff during the wedding itself was great and the bridal attendant, Yonas, was extremely helpful and joyous (we love him). Also, the food was really very good and we received many compliments about it. The wedding ended up being exactly what we had hoped it would be, and the whole evening went off without a hitch--the organization was just smooth and perfect. While the NYBG is not the cheapest venue in the City, we felt from beginning to end that we were in very good hands: a beautiful location (that is easily reachable from Manhattan), good catering, and a very professional and friendly staff who know how to doing a wedding well and make sure that everyone has a great time. Top notch!!!

Sent on 07/16/2017

Amma · Married on 05/20/2017

We had our wedding at the New York Botanical Gardens in May 2017 and John Garone was our coordinator. It was a perfect day--we had photos in the Rose Garden, our ceremony in an outdoor courtyard next to the Conservatory and our reception in the Garden Terrace Room. John, Lauren O'Kelly and Alex Metz are an amazing team and were so helpful, organized, friendly, professional and excited throughout the entire planning process. All of our guests were amazed at how delicious the food was. Guests were greeted with champagne and lemon water when they entered the gardens, cocktail hour was overflowing with food, and the servers were so attentive to our guests needs, like remembering what drink they had ordered from the bar and fetching them another one before they finished, and remembering dietary restrictions. The captain and co-captain were so communicative with our MC, letting him know exactly when the courses were coming out and tables were being cleared so that he could time everyone's speeches accordingly. The only bad part about my wedding was that it's over now and I don't get to email John all the time. I miss him. I cannot recommend NYBG enough and I don't understand why everyone in New York doesn't get married there. It is amazing service, food, decor, breathtakingly beautiful and the price is very reasonable considering the service, quality and staff. We also had our rehearsal dinner at the Hudson Garden Grill the night before and I highly recommend and John was so helpful with showing our bridesmaids and groomsmen when and how to walk and where to stand. Then we had hor d'hourves and cocktails on the patio, followed by dinner inside. If you are considering getting married at NYBG then I strongly recommend that you do your rehearsal dinner there, your guests would have an amazing time!

Sent on 08/04/2017

Julie · Married on 05/13/2017

NYBG provided us with an exceptional experience for our daughter's recent wedding. Despite inclement weather, John Garone and team delivered on every detail to ensure that the day was the first-class event we imagined. Their prompt, calm and professional manner gave us supreme confidence throughout the planning process. Their knowledge and working relationships with outside vendors made it seamless. They are real pros and were an absolute joy to work with.

Sent on 05/30/2017
  • Katie

Katie · Married on 05/13/2017

NYBG was AMAZING! My wedding turned out to be better than I imagined. John Garone, was TRULY amazing to work with. He was always so cool, calm, and collected. No task was too large for John. He was always quick to respond to emails, phone calls and any questions I had. Even the day after my wedding when we were missing items, John helped us locate a few very important items that got left behind. It rained on my wedding day, however we had an alternate rain plan, which turned out to be more than great. The food was delicious and my wedding guests are STILL taking about it!! The oyster bar was really a huge hit with our wedding guests!! The bridal attendant was BEYOND spectacular. He was there every time I turned around, bring me water, shoes-you name it! Thank you to everyone at NYBG who made our wedding perfect! - Katie and Leo

Sent on 07/13/2017

Nick · Married on 03/18/2017

This venue is excellent. We did it in March and, while most would scoff at a garden wedding in March, it has significant benefits such as a lower venue cost and the chance of snow! It did snow which added greatly to the drama of the event. We had the ceremony inside, of course, which some might think is a waste since it's a "garden wedding," however, the venue is beautiful and the large windows create a fabulous backdrop to the ceremony. Many commented on how dramatic the ceremony was. Furthermore, while we had about 200 guests and we could have had many more in that room. They turned it over like pros in less than an hour for dinner. While the venue is excellent, what really makes the venue special is the food. Starr Catering has some of the best food - if not the best food in town. The appetizers are exceptional as is the the meal. We had heard before the wedding about the quality of the caterers (from other caterers that we know) and they were right. Many acknowledged how far above the average the quality of the wedding food was - it was really an exceptional dinner. The wait team there is also very professional. We also got to take pictures in the enclosed botanical garden which made it look like we bought a botanical garden for our wedding flowers - which I guess we technically did. Something to note is that you will have to ship people from the city by bus if you're having it there and coming from the city. That being said, many opted to drive or take metro north (in their tuxedos and long gowns) which drops you across the street. Let me finish by stating, the best part - my wife and I work over 60 hours a week in another city. Having NYBG be a one-stop-shop for everything meant we didn't have to deal with the planning nonsense. It was venue, band, flowers, hair, photographer and done. We planned this thing in four months and we frankly wouldn't have done it any differently.
    If you choose this venue, I would be extremely surprised if you were disappointed.

Sent on 05/15/2017

Natalie · Married on 11/05/2016

Booking NYBG for our wedding was hands down the best decision we made during the planning process. Look no further. If you are looking for a classic, gorgeous NYC venue this is the place. Starr Catering manages their weddings like a well oiled machine. From Laura Bass - our coordinator who took every piece of our vision and executed it expertly, to the incredible food, the beautiful and delicious wedding cake and finally to our wedding, it was beyond perfection. I couldn't have predicted how perfect it would all be until I saw it come together. When you are planning the most important day of your life, leave it in the hands of experts like Starr Catering. I would not change a thing.

Sent on 11/13/2016

Maureen · Married on 10/09/2016

Definitely talk to John Garone and the team at the New York Botanical Gardens (Starr Catering). They have a number of different rooms that are available for wedding festivities. We were married outdoors in the gardens, followed by a tented cocktail hour and then a reception in the ballroom for 160 guests. the evening flowed flawlessly and everyone, including my husband and I had an amazing day. Just perfect. We visited the Stone Mill for our tasting night and this is gorgeous space for a smaller reception. You can't go wrong here at the New York Botanical Gardens. So close to NYC yet a magical, lush location.

We were looking for a simple yet elegant location to have a classic New York wedding. The New York Botanical Gardens delivered on every level. The setting is majestic and beautiful. We planned on having an outdoor wedding and despite Hurricane Matthew trying to throw a wrench in our plans, the staff and management of the NYBG were agile enough to wait out the storm and set up the seasonal walk for the evening wedding. Things went off without any problems under a clear sky. We and our guests were so pleased with the service and the quality of the experience. The food and drinks (including our custom cocktail) were delicious. So many of our guests commented on what a beautiful setting and perfect service they experienced. John Garone, Laura and the Starr Catering staff were just phenomenal through the entire planning process and then on our wedding day.

Sent on 01/15/2017

David · Married on 09/10/2016

My wife and I were married at the Stone Mill on September 10, 2016. Before getting into any of the details, let's make it clear: this is a truly beautiful venue in a truly beautiful setting.
    The Starr Catering staff helped us to plan an incredible day after our own wishes, and then made sure everything went off without a hitch day of. I can only rave about the care they put into it. Alex helped us out in the beginning and Lauren helped us significantly as we got closer to the date.
    Our particular issue was that we live in Germany and so were planning the wedding from afar. Lauren and Alex were always available and responded very quickly to all of our questions. They suggested vendors for us far enough in advance, and all of their suggestions were spot on.
    Obviously the food was excellent and the package offered at the Stone Mill contained more than enough great food, great drinks, and great choice for all guests. It also made our lives a lot easier not having to deal with finding a caterer.
    All of the attendants on the day of were extremely professional and caring so that my wife and I could simply enjoy. That's all we could ask for and would highly recommend the Gardens in general, and the Stone Mill specifically, to anybody and everybody.

Sent on 10/15/2016

Dalila · Married on 09/03/2016

Last Saturday, my daughter was married at the Stone Mill House in the New York Botanical Garden and I am still getting raving emails from guests after that magical evening.
    August of last year, we visited the Stone Mill with Alex and fell in love with the setting. Not only is the Stone Mill a historical NY landmark, it is also a very elegant and naturally beautiful place with its location inside the NY Botanical Garden, right on the Bronx river. Alex's friendliness and her willingness to accommodate our needs made us pay the deposit and sign the contract on the spot. After many disappointments trying to find a classy venue within our means in the city, The Stone Mill was that perfect place we no longer thought we could have. A few months later, we started working with John Garone and things got even better. John is both very friendly and highly professional. He responded to our emails, week after week, with the speed of light. He was always calm, good-humored, eager to help, on top of things and very detail-oriented, a crucial skill when you are preparing a wedding. He answered each and every question each of us had, followed up on every detail, and made us feel as if our wedding was the only one he had to deal with, even though we knew well that this was not the case! His assistant, Lauren, was as helpful and as dedicated as he was.
    Then the day of the wedding came and we met the rest of the team: our super efficient and caring captain, Gilit, our extra helpful and attentive bridal attendant, Yonas, and the amazing staff: bartenders, waiters, as well as various attendants. An A team of dedicated people doing their jobs in the most professional way and going above and beyond in so many ways. Then there was the food, from the cocktail appetizers to the dinner courses to the wedding cake--elegant and delicious. Worthy of Five Stars restaurants. I truly cannot recommend enough the Stone Mill and Starr Events. They will make your wedding day perfect.

Sent on 09/10/2016

Laura · Married on 08/20/2016

Our wedding reception at the Stone Mill was our dream come true and that is most definitely thanks to Starr Catering's amazing team. The reception went off without a hitch and we could not have been happier. Our bridal attendant was absolutely amazing and so attentive. She brought us each of our hors d'ouevre selections, our signature cocktail and champagne to our bridal suite and we were so happy she did as it was the only food we had a chance to eat at the cocktail hour!! We felt taken care of in every detail. The food was absolutely phenomenal and surpassed our expectations! The service at dinner was outstanding and many of our guests raved about. I was anxious about having to pack up all the items we provided on the night of and I have to say, that went smoother than I could have ever imagined- pretty much everything was already boxed up for us and took no effort on our part. We don't have a single negative thing to say- it was absolutely the best day ever. We so enjoyed the process with our Sales Manager Laura and we continue to rave about how Starr sincerely gave us everything we wanted! We will certainly be recommending Starr Catering and the NYBG for all our newly engaged friends!!

Sent on 10/04/2016
  • Amanda

Amanda · Married on 06/26/2016

My husband and I got married in June 2016 at the Stone Mill. On a whim, we decided to tour the venue and it didn't take long for us to fall in love with this magical place. In its own right, The New York Botanical Garden is a breathtaking oasis, especially in such a big city. We fell in love with Stone Mill in particular, for its beauty, warmth, and layout, all of which allowed us to create the intimate wedding we dreamed of.

Stephen Starr Catering partners with NYBG to provide food and beverages, wedding cake, linens and furniture, and wedding coordination. Throughout our journey, from tours to booking to walk-throughs, we were met with warmth, professionalism, and flexibility as each team member worked with us to execute our vision. If you're foodies like we are, or just interested in providing your guests with a unique dining experience, you can't go wrong with Stephen Starr. From cocktail hour to dinner, the food was delicious, perfectly cooked, and beautifully presented!

My husband and I will always be happy we chose The New York Botanical Garden. Stone Mill, and the garden at large, has history and credibility, as it is such an important New York landmark. We feel so fortunate that we'll always have the option to visit this magical place where we shared the best day of our lives, and to one day bring our children there to share the memories.

Sent on 08/24/2016