57 Reviews for The Mary Gay House

Indoor (4)
Uncovered Outdoor (4)
Event Rentals (1)
46 The Mary Gay House Reviews

Our wedding at the Mary Gay House was amazing!!! We ended up with a guest count of 138 and were able to comfortable fit everyone for our seated/plated dinner with a combination of tables inside and on the patio. We even had a long estate table on the patio that turned out amazing! We actually did our ceremony at the park next door and that worked out perfectly. The only thing to double check is whether or not you have access to the basement- make sure you are certain of this b/c we had some issues day of until we pulled out our contract and then it was all good. Our guests stayed at the Courtyard Marriott right in downtown Decatur and it was super easy for everyone logistically with MARTA being right there and plenty of lyft/uber's around. Missy is awesome to work with and we absolutely loved getting married at the Mary Gay House!

Profile Picture Christina, 10/14/17, 4 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Chairs, Tables, Parking, Wheelchair Access, Indoor, Uncovered Outdoor

We loved everyone at The Mary Gay were awesome. We went over by 20 minutes and they were so accommodating.

Profile Picture Rahel, 9/2/17, 4 Reviews
Services Used: Indoor, Parking, Wheelchair Access, Chairs, Tables

We are so happy we chose the Mary Gay house as our wedding venue. Throughout the planning process Missy was quick to respond with any questions we had. And we had a lot. The house is beautiful and the outdoor area was a perfect setting for our ceremony. The time slot available to us ( Saturday morning/afternoon) was perfect for our brunch wedding. It's a great plus that there is plenty of parking right across the street. And downtown Decatur is within walking distance.

Profile Picture Aaron, 6/17/17, 3 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location

The venue was the perfect setting for our wedding day ceremony and reception. We had close to 100 guests and that seemed to be just the right fit with dancing and some tables indoors and more tables outside to enjoy the perfect spring evening. The venue is beautiful, flowers in the courtyard were blooming and it felt like too much decorating would be a bad thing!

Profile Picture Bruce, 4/1/17, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

I couldn't be happier with the way our wedding day turned out at this venue! We had 100 guests with a seated dinner and space for a dance floor, and it was the perfect amount of space. We had a tent for the outdoor area and it turned out beautifully. We worked with Elizabeth and Missy and they were easy to get a hold of and gave us some great advice and ideas. We loved the cozy feel of this venue - very unique in that it doesn't feel like a grand reception hall. Parking was very easy for guests and its conveniently located close enough to the Marriot downtown.

Profile Picture Dianne, 10/2/16, 2 Reviews
Services Used: Parking, Wheelchair Access, Chairs, Tables

Thank goodness we chose MGH for BOTH our rehearsal dinner and wedding locaion (both ceremony and reception!) Elizabeth is a joy to work with; she's so generous with her time and resources. The venue itself is so beautiful and feels cozy like a relative's home. It's an ideal size for a 100 person event. It is easy to find for guests and offers easy parking. Many great locations on site for photography. I could go on. Great for our vintage garden wedding and casual barbecue rehearsal. Great price - AND it's a nonprofit! Amazing.

Profile Picture Ivy, 10/10/15, 7 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location
Services Used: Indoor, Uncovered Outdoor, Chairs, Tables, Parking, Wheelchair Access

Absolutely beautiful venue, wonderful people to work with. Super flexible with last minute needs- including need for a rain tent and location to assemble/leave paper lanterns for bride and groom departure. Very helpful and clear with what is/is not ok to do.

Profile Picture Francis, 10/3/15, 4 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Indoor, Uncovered Outdoor, Parking, Wheelchair Access, Event Rentals, Chairs, Tables

We had our wedding reception at the Mary Gay House and it was outstanding. The wedding was at our church in the morning, then we came over for an indoor/outdoor fun and games reception catered by Farm Burger.

I dealt mostly with Elizabeth, the main contact there. From the moment I started planning and saw the space I knew it would be excellent. Elizabeth was super easy to work with and very helpful with suggestions, timelines, organization . . . all the stuff I didn't know because I'd clearly never planned a wedding before!

The day of the wedding things went off without a hitch. Brandon was there onsite if needed, but as far as I know everything went very smoothly.

One of the best things about this space is how "warm" it is, and how little decoration is needed if that's not your thing. We just had tablecloths and lots of bunches of very colorful flowers, and it was perfect.

I would hold another even at the MGH in a heartbeat!

Profile Picture Jennifer, 8/1/15, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The Mary Gay House was the perfect venue for the Rehearsal Dinner and Welcome Reception for out of town guests. The House itself is beautifully restored and maintained and the outside patio is spacious. Elizabeth is wonderful to work with - very accessible and accomodating. Knowing that the rental benefits the Junior League and their work in the community was an added plus.

Profile Picture User5181029, 2+ years ago, 2 Reviews
Category: Rehearsal Dinner Location

Beautiful, intimate venue. It was absolutely perfect! Elizabeth could not have been more helpful, friendly, and professional. She had great advice and input. She has great working relationships with vendors. Not one complaint from me, even anything minor!

Profile Picture User4389728, 2+ years ago, 3 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The Mary Gay house was not only an absolutely stunning location for our reception, it was also unique, cozy, and personal. Elizabeth was a wonderful facilitator and between her and our caterers, the event was a day to remember!

Profile Picture Sarah, 1/3/15, 3 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We had our 60-person rehearsal dinner at the Mary Gay House, and it was more lovely than I could have imagined! Elizabeth was responsive, helpful, and flexible during the planning process. We worked with a "non-preferred" caterer because of the particular kind of food we wanted to serve, and she was a great resource for them.
Many of our guests were staying at the Marriott in Decatur, and they walked to the Mary Gay House. For in-town folks, there's plenty of parking across the street.
It was a beautiful night, so we used the lovely back patio for cocktails, and then came inside for dinner. We hardly decorated-- just some lanterns and candles, and it looked beautiful! The pictures are amazing. The only problem we had was that everyone was having such a good time that we didn't want to leave!

Profile Picture User3727605, 2+ years ago, 5 Reviews
Category: Rehearsal Dinner Location

Elizabeth at the Mary Gay house was great to work with. She had lots of ideas and asked great questions that helped us think of things about the event that we may not have thought of on our own. A sign of good experience!
We had almost 70 guests at our reception, and the house was just the right size. Because of weather, we were unable to use the patio (sadly!), but that would have provided more space to spread out. Being limited to the inside of the house, I felt like we maxed the space out. Our caterer was able to fold up some tables after dinner to make more room for dancing afterwards. So, they have tables for 100 at the Mary Gay house, but I wouldn't recommend planning on more than 80 guests (for a sit-down meal) there, especially if you want space to move around, mingle and dance.

Profile Picture Meredith, 8/9/14, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Great service and venue. The space was perfect for a rehearsal dinner.

Profile Picture User4401094, 2+ years ago, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location

I could not possibly be more pleased with my choice to hold my wedding reception at the Mary Gay House. My ceremony took place at a nearby chapel, and the Mary Gay House is very conveniently located and was easy to find even for my out-of-town guests. It also has the historic charm and traditional decor that I was looking for. During the planning process, the representatives I worked with were professional and friendly. They provided me with all kinds of details and suggestions along the way which made planning my event from out of town much easier. Coordinating with other vendors--like my caterer and florist--was also easy because the Mary Gay House already has established relationships with many local businesses. Finally, the price for the venue rental is an excellent value, especially compared to other options in the Atlanta area. There is nowhere else you can find such a historic venue with beautiful character and professional services for such a great price. I highly recommend booking an event with the Mary Gay House!

Profile Picture User4145213, 2+ years ago, 4 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We loved using the Mary Gay House for our wedding because it was such a peaceful and intimate setting. It felt like we were celebrating with our closest family and friends in our own home. The beauty of the home and rich history added to the experience. We just loved it.

Profile Picture Kate, 4/5/14, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Elizabeth was phenomenal and the site was the perfect venue for our 80 person wedding party. This day could not have gone any better, many memories for all!!! I would recommend this site and Elizabeth, especially, to anyone having an event or getting married! 5 Stars all around :)

Profile Picture Jamie, 10/6/13, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Our rehearsal dinner at the Mary Gay House was a great family and friend event. We found the staff very responsive and helpful with planning and suggestions. We were allowed all the time we needed to look and plan at the venue on an as many visits as we needed. The staff was also very responsive and a great help with all details the night of the rehearsal dinner before, during, and after the event. The remodeling that has taken place inside and with the patio at the Mary Gay House has created an updated, warm venue.

Profile Picture User3568532, 2+ years ago, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

I can not say enough good things about The Mary Gay House!! I feel in love with the venue upon site and was amazed at the service and pure friendliness! So many things can cause stress when planning/having a wedding but MGH was never a stress in fact they were more of a help in relieving stress in many situations!! Our wedding was beautiful and so much fun and I attribute a lot of that to the MGH and staff!!! I would recommend MGH to anyone for a wedding (or any function) it is beautiful (and the recent renovations are amazing)!!

Profile Picture Meghan, 5/11/13, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

I swear this place is Decatur's best kept secret. I didn't know it exists till I started searching for a small venue for my wedding. Not only was the venue beautiful, but the price was amazing. I found an awesome caterer through the venue (Bodkay by Joann ) who also did my flowers for the wedding, but with the garden set up outside I didn't need much flowers. I tell everyone I know about this place. It's beautiful.

Profile Picture Victoria, 6/3/12, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Kim was awesome to work with! She even let us drop some stuff off the day before and made sure that the reception ran smoothly. Mary Gay House is so beautiful and very photogenic. The value also can't be beat in Atlanta.

Profile Picture stephanie, 6/2/12, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The Mary Gay House is a beautiful and affordable location for your wedding and reception of fewer than 200 guests. May is an excellent time to have a wedding here as well because there are lots of flowers blooming and you have space to bring in your own flowers to make things look even more beautiful. Parking is convenient and there is plenty of it as the church nearest to this venue allows wedding guests to use their parking lot. A tent is recommended for the outside part of the venue but this is very easy to accomplish and was set up for us the night before the wedding. All of our guests complimented our choice of venue and some even indicated that they would consider it for a future event. We appreciate how easy it was to make a reservation and how accommodating Kim Brookhart at the Mary Gay House was when we were arranging all the details.

Profile Picture Sheelagh, 5/19/12, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The Mary Gay House is a beautiful house and perfect for a wedding and reception. Kim is wonderful to work with. We highly recommend the Mary Gay House!

Profile Picture Elizabeth, 3/3/12, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

This venue was a very beautiful for my fall wedding. Kim was very sweet and helpful as well.

Profile Picture Danielle, 10/16/11, 1 Review