The Mariners' Museum and Park Reviews

The Mariners' Museum and Park 5
The Mariners' Museum and Park 6
The Mariners' Museum and Park 7

Sean · Married on 10/27/2018

A wedding with the Mariners museum

From Day one and the first email Jennifer was a fantastic co-ordinator for the museum. She made the whole process quick, and easy making our wedding that much smoother to plan. We highly reccomend it to anyone who is interested, we also reccomend you listen to heradvice on vendors, we adored our decor, floral, cale and other vendors.

Sent on 11/05/2018

The Mariners' Museum and Park's reply:

Sean, thank you for your review and congratulations on your marriage! Your wedding was gorgeous and you and your wife were so much fun to work with. We wish you both a wonderful, happy life together!

Jennifer · Married on 09/29/2018

Excellent, Affordable, a d a Professional Staff

Mariners Museum in Newport News, Va. Made Our wedding Absolutely Gorgeous!

Sent on 10/17/2018

The Mariners' Museum and Park's reply:

Jennifer, thank you for your review! Your dress was so unique and gorgeous, we loved being a part of your special day!
  • Alexandra

Alexandra · Married on 01/27/2018

The Perfect Unique Location

We are SO HAPPY we chose the Mariners' Museum to use as our wedding venue. I had been looking for a cool spot that had visual elements already in place in the room, that wouldn't require excessive decorating. This was it! We loved the eagle as the back drop for our head table, the large window and lighthouse for our ceremony space, the ship as the dance floor. Everything was so unique compared to more traditional wedding venues, and we took advantage of the option to keep the museum loop open during our reception, which the guests really enjoyed. They had also restructured the packages since we originally signed the contract, and the ability to use the entire main lobby side of the building allowed us to separate the ceremony, cocktail, and reception spaces.

The team at the museum was so great to work with. They were very helpful in suggestions for layout and working with our vendors for setup, and I loved that their list of approved caterers helped us easily narrow down options without having to look at everyone in the area. It was also super helpful that all tables and chairs were included and setup prior to our arrival the day of the wedding.

Overall, I absolutely recommend the Mariners' Museum for your wedding venue. We had a great experience!

Sent on 11/05/2018

The Mariners' Museum and Park's reply:

Thank you so much for your sweet review, Alexandra! Y'all were such a wonderful and easy-going group and it was a pleasure to be able to work with you! We wish you and your husband a lifetime of love and happiness together!

Rebecca · Married on 10/21/2017

Jennifer and Cassedy were extremely helpful and accommodating. They helped keep me on track for my original vision and the South Courtyard was the perfect setting! The entire night ran smooth and I wouldn’t change a thing. Worth every penny and then some!

Sent on 10/24/2017
    The Mariners' Museum and Park 8
    The Mariners' Museum and Park 9
    The Mariners' Museum and Park 10
    The Mariners' Museum and Park 11
    The Mariners' Museum and Park 12
    The Mariners' Museum and Park 13

The Mariners' Museum and Park's reply:

We loved seeing the pictures from your wedding! It makes us feel like we are reliving your big day :) It was our pleasure to work with you and to see your wedding dreams come true. Thank you for celebrating at the Museum!

James · Married on 09/09/2017

The mariners museum staff were flawless on making our wedding day a spectacular day.

Sent on 11/14/2017

The Mariners' Museum and Park's reply:

We are so happy that you and your bride had the wedding of your dreams here. Thank you for celebrating in our beautiful Park!

Asha · Married on 05/21/2017

Our wedding turned out absolutely beautiful! The staff at the museum were extremely helpful in trying to make our big day perfect. I would definitely recommend this as a top place to get married, especially if you would like to do a nautical theme.

Sent on 11/21/2017

The Mariners' Museum and Park's reply:

Asha, your wedding was stunning! We especially loved how you dressed up the courtyard and kept your theme throughout both spaces. It was all so beautifully done!

Jessica · Married on 06/13/2015

I cannot say enough good things about The Mariner's Museum. Krystina was amazing to work with! She made planning our reception a breeze and was so flexible and helpful with everything! We originally booked the Virginia Courtyard for our reception, but changed the location to the inside lobby because of 95 degree weather and thunderstorms. Krystina made the change easy and made sure that everything was set up beautifully and went off without a hitch! I highly recommend using The Mariner's Museum for any event!

Sherri · Married on 06/06/2015

Our wedding was in the South Courtyard and it was beautiful! The flowers, the fountain, the lights, ceiling fans, and patio was a great setting for my daughters wedding. We worked with Krystina Serafini and no matter how many questions I had she was there to help me through each one. I probably asked more than once, but she made sure things were done and was always available and responded quickly. We loved this cozy setting in the courtyard!

Sent on 06/16/2015

The Mariners' Museum and Park's reply:

We couldn't be more thrilled for you Sherri, and your beautiful daughter and her new family! We enjoyed getting to know you and hope you'll find some time to stop by again, even if just for a little serenity time in the Courtyard... Enjoy your new in-laws and send pictures!

Ashley · Married on 04/18/2015

Krystina was wonderful to work with. Very accommodating and helpful!

Sent on 05/19/2015

The Mariners' Museum and Park's reply:

Ashley and Jeff, we're so thrilled you had such a positive experience with our staff and hope it will encourage you to visit us in the future! Congratulations again, thank you for the kind review. We wish you both the truest love two beautiful people can share!!

Rene · Married on 04/11/2015

The wedding venue was wonderful. The space gave us the flexibility to place our guest at tables of eight vice ten. The attached patio allowed us to have the marriage ceremony outdoors without infringing on the reception space and set up. We would recommend the Mariner's Museum for all small and large gathering.

Amanda · Married on 10/18/2014

The Mariners Museum was a fantastic venue to have our wedding and ceremony with. Krystina was one of my favorite people of all time to work with. She is polite, calm and professional and responded to all of my email requests promptly. She had great suggestions and even reminded me to book a rehearsal time! Little things like this put her service over the top. Honestly, her service alone was enough to make me recommend the Mariners' Museum but, as a bonus, the museum is gorgeous. We opted to have the ceremony in the courtyard with the cocktail hour in the hall of steam and the reception in the main lobby. Everyone loved our pirate ship dance floor and was impressed by the museum. Excellent venue at a great price!!

Sent on 10/24/2014

The Mariners' Museum and Park's reply:

We are ecstatic to have made such an incredible impression on your beautiful day, thank you Amanda for the kind praise! We love how much of the Museum you were able to share with your guests and hope the memories made will sustain as you carry on out West. We'll be so happy to see you again if ever you make it back this way... May your lives together be blissful!

Karla · Married on 06/28/2014

I couldn't be happier!! The Mariners Museum was beautiful, and the area had such a special meaning to my husband and I. The staff was absolutely fabulous! They accommodated last minute changes, and found ways to meet all of our needs. Our guests are still raving at the beauty! Plus the pirate ship was a major bonus for the kids in attendance!

Sent on 07/31/2014

The Mariners' Museum and Park's reply:

Thank you Karla, we were so happy to be a part of your Love Bird Day! We wish you all the happiness you deserve and are anxious for you to visit us again. Thank you for choosing us to celebrate your beautiful union with, we're happy to have been a part of it.

Erin · Married on 06/07/2014

We had a gorgeous wedding thanks to the museum! Everyone loved the uniqueness we had. The courtyard was beautiful and it was very convenient to have the reception in the room right next to it. The staff was very helpful all through my process and very quick to answer any questions I had. My night was amazing!

Sent on 06/28/2014

The Mariners' Museum and Park's reply:

Thank you Erin, we absolutely love that you decided to tie the knot with us! You have a beautiful family and they made our spaces look very special. We hope you'll come back and visit! Best of luck in everything.

Megan · Married on 11/02/2013

We held my daughter's wedding reception in the lobby of the Mariners' Museum, and we could not have been more pleased. It was a beautiful setting, and it easily accommodated our 200+ guests. All of my dealings with the Mariners' Museum staff were exceptional, and they were very patient with our multiple trips to the venue to finalize our plans. Our wedding reception guests frequently commented on the beautiful and unique setting. I would highly recommend using the Mariners' Museum for a wedding reception or other event.

• Brenna

Brenna · Married on 11/11/2017

Our wedding day was perfect! I had been working with The Mariners Museum (Jennifer, Bree, Kelsey) for a year during my planning process and I always got a quick response when I had a dozen questions! The ceremony was outside in the South Courtyard, which was absolutely beautiful and perfect for pictures. Our cocktail hour was along the veranda - it was cold since we had our wedding in mid-November, but it has such a nice ambiance with the string lights. Plus it was a romantic, quiet getaway from the reception! The reception was held in the Huntington and Anna Room, and we had an absolute blast and there was plenty of room for everyone to dance all night long!!

Sent on 11/24/2017
    The Mariners' Museum and Park 14
    The Mariners' Museum and Park 15
    The Mariners' Museum and Park 16
    The Mariners' Museum and Park 17
    The Mariners' Museum and Park 18

The Mariners' Museum and Park's reply:

Brenna, your wedding was stunning and we loved that we got to be a part of your special day! The cooler weather didn't deter anyone from having a great time, and we are so glad you celebrated here with us. Thank you for the kind words and review! We hope to see you around sometime soon!

My husband and I had went on a "random date” at the Mariners’ Museum and after much consideration, we could think of no other place to have our reception. Krystina went above and beyond to help us from the beginning phases until our big day! She was on site the day of and she was able to help out our wedding planner with any questions, concerns, etc. Mariners’ Museum, the Huntington and Anna room specifically, was transformed into a perfect place for a reception and it fit into our budget and accommodated the amount of guests we had planned to attend. We used the South Courtyard for a huge group picture.

Sent on 05/02/2015

The Mariners' Museum and Park's reply:

On behalf of the entire Mariners' team, we would like to extend another BIG congratulations to the new Mr & Mrs! We're so thrilled to have become such a beautiful part of your lives and look forward to many more of your visits, "random dates" or otherwise, maybe a vow renewal in 20 years?! May everlasting love and happiness be ever-present for you, now and always...
  • O

Olivia · Married on 06/24/2017

We loved the Mariner's Museum! We could not have imagined a more perfect spot for our wedding. The only complication we had was that they experienced a lot of turnover in their staff while we were planning our wedding, so in our year and a half planning process we worked with 3 different coordinators planning our event. They were all fantastic, but it was challenging to have to move between so many people and know who to contact with questions. Other than that, it was a fantastic venue and we cannot recommend it enough!

Sent on 11/26/2017

The Mariners' Museum and Park's reply:

You and your family held such a gorgeous celebration here for your wedding, Olivia! It was a pleasure working with everyone and we so appreciated your patience with us as we worked through our department restructure. We absolutely agree that it's hard to work with different people throughout your planning process, so have changed our internal structure to be more accommodating so that doesn't happen in the future! Thank you for leaving us such great feedback!
  • Elizabeth

Elizabeth · Married on 10/20/2018

4.2
      2.0

Unique and Impressive Venue

This venue is a spectacular venue! Not only does it have indoor and outdoor options for the bride and groom to choose from, we were able to tailor them based on where we wanted the ceremony, the reception, and the cocktail hour. We chose to have our ceremony inside in the sunken room off the ballroom, our cocktail hour outside in the Virginia Courtyard, and our reception in the grand atrium/ballroom. We could’ve also chosen the front courtyard for something or the front lobby for something, so there are just a lot of mix-and-match options with this venue. We loved the high ceilings and the lighthouse features! They made our wedding dramatic and romantic! For an evening wedding we wanted a candlelit atmosphere and the event staff were unable to turn the lights lower. I was disappointed in this because I was assured on my venue walk-through that we be able to dim the lights very low. It was unfortunate but we got through it. No one probably noticed but me and the photographers. The staff from the venue event crew were limited in the support they could offer so set up and breakdown and other elements during the evening were more difficult than I thought they needed to be. We were limited in that we couldn’t have open flame or any type of send in the museum. This was understandable but also disappointing! We ended up doing LED sparklers in the parking lot as an alternative. The event staff have some things to work on for coordination. For example, our photographers went to the other wedding at the museum and no one from the museum directed them on how to get to our wedding. We lost 20 minutes of precious daylight with our photographers. In addition, the musicians from the other wedding came to ours, so it was clear that the event staff could have been more helpful in directing people around their venue. I also learned later that 4 of our guests got to the lobby late and there was no one from the venue to show them where to go. They ended up standing in the back of the hallway until the ceremony was over. Once again, someone from the event staff should have told them where to go.
    All in all the event went off beautifully and the Mariners Museum is a unique and special place to get married! I would recommend this to anyone especially if you have an interest in maritime history or want a nautical theme to your wedding. Our wedding theme was dramatic romance, sophistication, and contemporary elegance. The venue really helped us bring that, our vision, to life.

Sent on 11/20/2018

The Mariners' Museum and Park's reply:

We truly thank you for your honest review! We are always seeking to improve and we understand and apologize for any frustration. I am glad we were able to discuss your concerns in our follow up email. We are thankful that you were pleased with your overall experience and we are honored that you chose The Mariners’ Museum as the venue for this special day in yours and your husband's lives together. All of us here on the Events team wish you both a lifetime of love and happiness!

Lauren · Married on 06/06/2015

4.2
      3.5
      2.5

I had my wedding in the South Courtyard at the Museum. If you are looking for an intimate outdoor space where you can have the ceremony and reception in the same place this is where you have to go! There is a courtyard which is surrounded by a covered walk way with beautiful archways so the wedding can still be outside if it's raining. Since I had my reception under the covered area when it rained we did not have to move outside and it made for a beautiful reception as we ate as the rain came down.

Sent on 06/18/2015

The Mariners' Museum and Park's reply:

Thank you Lauren for the awesome promotion of our South Courtyard! Your decor was definitely the icing on a very delicious cake and we're so happy you enjoyed yourself during your most special day. Please visit often and remember us when it's time to renew your vows! We wish you all the best!

Alexis · Married on 05/06/2017

3.5

We loved this venue for our wedding, it was a great price for a beautiful and convenient location. There was some overturn while we prepared for our wedding but once everyone was in place where they should be it was smooth sailing and the ladies that worked with us were wonderful and accommodating! We were limited to a few caterers which ordinarily I would not have minded, however, the choice of caterers was not great (price and professionalism wise) and the one we ultimately went with was not as impressive as we would have hoped for considering the price and our very limited options.

Sent on 06/24/2018

The Mariners' Museum and Park's reply:

Alexis, your wedding was beautiful and I still have your thank you postcard on my wall! We are so glad that you celebrated here at the Museum with us. As part of our department restructure, we took a much closer look at our catering list and have made significant changes so that all of our caterers reflect the quality of service that we strive to achieve, and have increased the number of catering options to provide a better variety for our couples. We hope that you are enjoying married life together and that we see you around the Museum soon! - Kelsey

1.0

I had my wedding ceremony and reception at the Mariners Museum in the South Courtyard and Huntington Room. The museum was a unique choice and the guests loved the ability to tour the museum. However, the museum is lacking in customer service when it comes to event rentals and they make it very difficult to work with them. If you are proactive and very organized then you can have a great wedding here, but don't expect much from the museum itself in helping to make it a pleasant easy experience. On the day of my wedding, the museum-provided chairs and tables were not set up according to the layout and in fact unused extra chairs were stacked in the middle of the courtyard where the ceremony was to take place. The courtyard was littered from the previous night's event, and it was left overgrown and untended. The museum coordinator never showed up that day, but fortunately I had an OUTSTANDING caterer as well as family friends to make up for the museum's failures. The museum is definitely a fun unique venue to have your wedding, but I wouldn't recommend it to any of my friends because of what I experienced with them.

Sent on 01/22/2013

The Mariners' Museum and Park's reply:

On behalf of everyone here at The Mariners' Museum, I would like to extend an immense apology to the author of this review. I feel horribly that your special day could have gone so terribly had your family, friends, and caterer not been there, and I'm grateful that they were present to make up for our short-comings. The lack of customer service and a well manicured venue are 100% at the fault of the Museum and I hope one day we have the chance to show you how we've improved. We've recently hired a new Facility Rental Coordinator, have greatly improved our process of event planning, and are now consistently praised for the wonderful atmosphere we provide. Of course, there will never be any excuse for an experience this sour, but we do hope we can continue to improve and provide extraordinary experiences for our brides and grooms to come..