The Houston Museum of Natural Science Reviews

17 Reviews for The Houston Museum of Natural Science

• Sandra

Sandra · Married on 07/26/2019

Great experience at the Sugar Land location

We used the Sugar Land location and it was perfect. Everyone has told us that they loved our unconventional venue and that it was perfect for us as a couple that loves science. Adrienne was great as well. She was very accommodating to most of our requests. We also loved that we had plenty of space for our entire wedding (ceremony upstairs, cocktail hour and reception downstairs, and outdoor garden for games). Our guests were very excited to be able to go look at the exhibits throughout the reception.

Sent on 08/08/2019

Caroline · Married on 07/29/2017

We had our reception at the HMNS Sugar Land Branch. It was fantastic! We could not have asked for a better venue. With the venue rental, we got the entire two stories of permanent exhibits to ourselves to explore and use. Cocktail hour with the dinosaurs, dinner with geodes, etc. All of our friends and family loved it! Adrienne was extremely helpful with every question we had. The museum really emphasized making sure they and all the vendors were on the same page, which was appreciated.

Sent on 08/20/2017

Gerry Lea · Married on 02/27/2016

I am the mother of the groom and wanted to help our future daughter-in-law in selecting the 'perfect' venue for their wedding. Friends, who are benefactors to the HMNS, told us about being able to have parties at the HMNS and so we were most interested in renting the Cullen Hall of Gems & Minerals for their wedding and reception. Our point of contact was Ashley and from day 1 was amazing. She truly 'held our hands' and guided us to help tie everything together. You must use City Kitchen Catering for all alcohol/bar - they were terrific and she provided us the names of their approved catering companies - we selected Culinaire Catering and we are so pleased we did...fabulous job and attention to details + everyone said the food was the best they had ever eaten at a reception. We had 90 people - very comfortable and all enjoyed being able to walk around and look at the beautiful exhibits. It was truly over the top!

Sent on 03/10/2016

Sarah · Married on 02/20/2016

Ashley and The Museum of Natural Science was the MOST amazing venue for our daughter's wedding! It was truly a dream come true and the museum made everything easy. They have their vendors that are specialist in working at and with the museum. It is the most glorious venue for any kind of event.

If you are lucky enough to have an event at the museum, enjoy and know that you will be well taken care of and it will be a magic evening!

Sent on 02/22/2016

Elly · Married on 02/20/2016

Ashley with the museum was amazing! I have always wanted to get married at the museum and it did NOT disappoint! All of my guests can't stop talking about it! Wedding of my dreams!

Sent on 02/22/2016

Kirsten · Married on 03/07/2015

We had our wedding and reception at The Houston Museum of Natural Science in Sugarland, and it was stunningly beautiful. The exhibits (especially the geode exhibit) served as the perfect backdrop to our event. So many guests remarked what fun they had at our wedding, and we know it’s partly because of this unusual venue. Adrienne was our special events coordinator at the museum, and she was a joy to work with. She was incredibly patient with all our questions, personable, and knowledgeable. We loved Adrienne and all the staff at the museum!!

Sent on 05/21/2015

Molly · Married on 12/27/2014

My husband and I held our wedding reception in the Morian Hall of Paleontology at the end of last year, and I cannot say enough wonderful things about our entire experience.

My brother, Justin, used to work in marketing for the museum and passed in 2012. I knew I wanted him to be a large part of our day, and I could not imagine having our reception anywhere other than one of his favorite places.

Ashley Zalta showed me the space I had been interested in, The Grand Hall, and discussed the pros and cons of the space. Because it seemed as if we would have to bring in a lot of lighting and decor (and I was not a bride who wanted to go into all of that), she showed me the paleontology hall instead. I really appreciated the time she went into describing the pros and cons of both spaces. From then on, I had a wonderful experience working with her.

The museum does require those using their halls to acquire a special events insurance policy. This was very easy to do, so do not become discouraged when you hear this information.

On our wedding night, we were greeted by many employees of the museum when my husband and I entered the reception space. They were so genuine, and I have the best pictures of them smiling so hugely for us.

Nearly 10 months after our wedding, my husband and I still have everyone talking to us about what an amazing experience our wedding was. I know that the space was unique, but I do believe that the museum's employees were also great at welcoming our guests.

I promise you will not regret a wedding at HMNS.

Sent on 09/15/2015

The Houston Museum of Natural Science's reply:

Molly, thank you so much for sharing this review. I had a wonderful time working with you and your family on such a beautiful wedding! Please let me know if there is anything i can do to help you in the future.

-Ashley

Ashley was a great wedding coordinator! Everything was beautiful and ran very smoothly.

Sent on 02/09/2013

Kim · Married on 09/15/2012

My husband and I were looking for a unique venue for our wedding when someone suggested the smaller Houston Museum of Natural Science in Sugarland. The minute I walked in the museum and met Adrienne the museum director I was sold. The museum looked so beautiful on the wedding day. The guests could not stop complimenting everything, they absolutely loved the museum and the set up Adrienne had done for the wedding. She was beyond amazing. She made everything so easy and effortless. We could not have asked for more. Adrinne was there at the rehersal and on the wedding day acting as my offical wedding planner. She made sure everything was ready and to my liking. She really made the whole wedding process from planning to the actual day so much fun and easy. I didn't have to think of a thing! It was like walking into a fairy tale. Just phenominal.

With the sincerest of thanks,

Sent on 09/18/2012
  • blancepain

Shelley · Married on 05/15/2010

We had our wedding ceremony in the Butterfly lobby. It was a beautiful location and Nancy at the museum made the whole experience so easy and wonderful. The ceremony was 2 hours after the museum closed which was a perfect amount of time to set up the chairs and decorations. The added bonus is that you do not need many decorations since the space is so beautiful. I highly recommend doing your event here.

Sent on 06/08/2010

A · Married on 10/31/2009

We had our ceremony in the Cockrell Butterfly Center at the Houston Museum of Natural Science. This place is heart-stoppingly beautiful - nothing short of a real rain forest can compare! For $500, you get 1.5 hours in the Butterfly Center and a lifetime of beautiful memories! The photographs in this place are beautiful! The Special Events Manager, Leslie, and the Special Events Coordinator, Nancy, were professional and prompt in responding to emails. They really work with you to make your ceremony great. During your event, Special Events staff will be on hand in case anything goe awry. At our wedding, the lights went out 5 minutes before our ceremony was to start. They scrambled to fix the problem, the lights came on, and Leslie let us know that we would not have to worry about leaving in exactly 1.5 hours. (No one really watched the clock, so I suspect if you run over, they probably don't mind.) I will say, during the summer months this place is pretty warm and humid, and the earliets your event can begin is 6:00 p.m. (but believe me! The closer to night you are, the better.) Our wedding was at 6:30 p.m. on Halloween, and the temperature was perfect. Not cold, not hot - not even warm. If you're worried about it, schedule your wedding rehearsal (yes! They let you have one inside free of charge!) to fall at the same hour your wedding will be. Also, note that they let you in to see the space for free -- for instance, if you wanted to walk through with your photogrpaher, etc.

Two caveats:

1. There is an iguana that lives within. If you're not a fan of reptiles, you can ask them to make sure he is in his cage. (We didn't, and he never bothered us! He spent the whole time hanging out on the 3rd floor stairs...)

2. Butterflies live here, so if you have a guest who is not a fan of insects, you might want to reconsider. They're less active at night, but they DO fly around. (During our 6:30 ceremony, butterflies kept flitting behind my head unbeknownst to me, making for some really awesome wedding shots.)

If iguanas and butterflies don't bother you, then book this place! You will not regret it. It is BEAUTIFUL, and the staff are fantastic!

Sent on 11/18/2009

Our wedding at the HMNS was truly a dream come true! We couldn't have imagined a more unique setting for our special day. The paleontology hall was the perfect spot for our reception and offered our guests plenty of space for a cocktail hour, buffet style dinner and a huge dance floor! Our guests had so much fun and it turned out better than we could have ever imagined. The pictures that we got back from our day were really special to look back on in this setting.

Sent on 10/24/2015

christie · Married on 12/17/2011

Beautiful venue that far exceeded what we could possibly have imagined.

Sent on 05/20/2012
  • Emily

Emily · Married on 12/19/2009

The venue is gorgeous and Nancy is very helpful and responsive. The only improvement I could recommend is a dressing room, or at the very least, full length mirrors in the classrooms so the bridal party can get ready properly. Everything else was fantastic!

Sent on 01/12/2010

Stephanie · Married on 10/23/2009

Leslie was fantastic! We did have some communication issues due to us being 1500 miles away but after that was taken care of, I can't say I can think of one negative thing. The space was affordable, beautiful and unique and there was no need to spend money on decor that would be tossed away.

Sent on 11/01/2009

Sarah · Married on 07/11/2009

I never dreamed that we could afford such a fun and amazing venue! For the price, you are allowed use of some very unique areas within the museum. The staff was such a joy to work with. They were very professional and caring.

Sent on 07/29/2009

Celeste · Married on 04/30/2011

They were great to work with and for the price you can't beat this location. The Cullen Hall of Gems was beautiful. We used the space for a reception only.

Sent on 05/04/2011