The Housing Works Bookstore Reviews

41 | New York, NY

41 Reviews for The Housing Works Bookstore

Jenny S · Married on 07/03/2020

Choose Housing Works as your venue, and the rest is easy

We were married at Housing Works Bookstore on 3/7/2020, and I still cannot believe how warm and magical our wedding was. Choosing Housing Works as our venue was the best decision we made in the whole planning process--Josh is a dream to work with, and has great relationships with vendors. We basically followed all of Josh's recommendations for vendors and were delighted with how easy (and fun!) the process was from there. No drama, no problems, just awesome professionals who all care about supporting Housing Works and fighting the twin crises of HIV/AIDS and Homelessness.

Getting married at the Housing Works Bookstore is a way to make sure the money you spend on your wedding supports a good cause--and it is really well-priced for Manhattan! We had a cocktail-style receptions, which I would absolutely recommend. I was a bit nervous about how it would work beforehand, but it was fantastic! Everyone was drinking, eating, talking, and dancing the whole night without being interrupted for sit-down meal service.

The appeal of getting married in a bookstore means having bookshelves as your backdrop, plus Housing Works provides electric candles among the books, string lights, and even has book bundles you can use for centerpieces. With all that, it really doesn't require extensive décor, we just used additional candles and small bud vases for the tables. I highly recommend attending one of their open houses so you can see how gorgeous the space looks when set up for an event.

If you get married at Housing Works Bookstore, I promise you'll have a wedding your guests will never forget, all while supporting a great cause!

Sent on 04/20/2020

Annie Biggs · Married on 10/26/2019

A Storybook Wedding

We celebrated our wedding (both the ceremony and reception) at the Housing Works Bookstore at the end of October. From the time we started working with Housing Works through the end of our event, we couldn’t have been happier with our experience. The space has an absolutely unique vibe that can’t be matched elsewhere, with books, string lights, and a balcony encircling the main area. There was something truly magical about being surrounded by loved ones during our ceremony. It’s hard to believe that a venue this wonderful also has such an excellent mission behind it, and we were thrilled that our venue cost was a donation to Housing Works’ mission. Josh, our event coordinator, was kind, funny, detail-oriented, and extremely professional throughout our planning process. He offered his expert recommendations whenever we had questions about the space and was extraordinarily accommodating, from bar setup to venue access to planning meetings to vendor collaboration. He was there on the night of the wedding to ensure that it was a perfect, effortless, and unforgettable evening for us. Thank you so much, Josh and Housing Works, for making our wedding such a fantastic event!

Sent on 12/08/2019

Christine McGinn · Married on 10/19/2019

Excellent service in a beautiful space

What really made HousingWorks spectacular for us was the staff. The whole day functioned as a well-oiled machine! Every detail was thought out and excellently cared for. The planning process was straightforward and we always knew our options and the due dates. For a ceremony and reception venue in Manhattan, we found the rates they offered really competitive, especially given what excellent service we received. Everyone at the wedding remarked what a unique and beautiful venue it was and every single person I've run into who has been to a wedding there still remembers it years later! If you want a memorable and unique wedding, do yourself a favor and book with HousingWorks!!!

Sent on 10/24/2019

Ari M · Married on 07/13/2019

Venue of our dreams!

Working with Tomek was awesome. He was very professional throughout the entire process. He was quick to respond to all our emails and answered all our questions. We met several times to discuss our vision, including attending an open house event that housing works offers. We felt very confident that the venue was going to look perfect the day of and it did. Thank you Tomek for all of your help. We highly recommend HWB and Tomek for your event!

Sent on 09/08/2019
  • Jackie

Jackie Moncada · Married on 05/11/2019

Amazing venue and staff!

If you're tired of the same traditional wedding, look no further! This place was so incredible from the set up to the very end. Josh is amazing! Plus it goes to charity so it's really the best venue!!

Sent on 05/14/2019
  • Connor

Connor Buttner · Married on 04/05/2019

Beautiful Venue for a Memorable Wedding

We got married at Housing Works this May and we are so happy with the decision on every level. Working with Tomek and his team was great - they're responsive, professional, have very useful advice/suggestions based on how you want your wedding to go and executed everything flawlessly the night of. The venue itself is a lot of fun - we had 115 people with a cocktail-type set up with seating for 80 and it worked great with the space. It wasn't too crowded but was comfortable and had people up and mingling everywhere you looked. The layout worked great for food as well as for dancing and we got rave reviews from friends and family alike for the unique set up.

Sent on 06/03/2019
  • Claudia

Claudia Re · Married on 01/06/2019

Constant praise from my guests

My guests couldn’t stop talking about how much they loved this venue. A quaint bookstore by day, Housing Works Bookstore transforms itself for special occasions into something quite magical. Spiral staircases, dozens of votive candles, soft strung lights and draped walls created a warm and welcoming atmosphere. The staff was most accommodating throughout the process and the evening flowed smoothly from one moment to the next. And it’s close to the F train stop! Totally perfect!

Sent on 06/07/2019
  • F

Frank · Married on 10/07/2018

Wonderful venue for a wedding. Friendly, efficient, responsive, experienced. Tomek and his staff organize and run a great event and Housing Works is an outstanding tax-exempt charity. Delightful environment. Highly recommended.

Sent on 10/10/2018

J · Married on 04/07/2018

I cannot rate this venue highly enough. The space was gorgeous and the staff were beyond professional. It was a magical night!

Sent on 04/12/2018

Amelia · Married on 04/22/2017

We could not have been happier to hold our wedding reception at Housing Works! The whole process of working with them was amazing. It is such a unique place to have a wedding (all your guests will think so, too!), but they are true professionals and know exactly what to do every step of the way. Amanda and Josh were great to work with and our tasting was such a fun preview of the wedding! The day of the wedding, everything was beautiful and went perfectly! The food was delicious, too! Great veggie and vegan options as well!

Sent on 05/28/2017

John · Married on 10/07/2016

From start to finish we could not have been happier. Planning with them was fun and easy. The price could not be beat and the convenience of having the caterer and rentals included and on site made coordination a breeze. They quickly and effortlessly addressed any question that came up prior to the event. Their recommended DJ exceeded our expectations. The food and service were superlative. The wait staff was especially friendly and attentive. We received a myriad of compliments from our guest on the space and the quality of experience. Amanda and Josh are both extremely organized, efficient, friendly and attentive. We would recommend them, their staff and the entire facility without qualification. We are extremely grateful to the entire team for helping us realize our dream wedding. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Monique · Married on 09/22/2016

Don't go overboard with decoration - this venue is magic all by itself and I ended up overdoing it. There is so much character to the bookstore already and little details are just icing! Use the food tastings to inspire you on set-up. Listen to the recommendations of Amanda and Josh, including their list of vendors. They are wedding superstars! When I walked in the room for the reception, I was absolutely blown away, and I know my guests were impressed too.

Victoria · Married on 08/13/2016

This was the perfect location for our family. If you have more than 120 guests, this venue could be tight. If you have between 80 and 120, this location is perfect! Go to the tasting and you'll be treated to an evening of tasty treats, more than you can eat! Go nuts on table flowers but keep them small. No need for any other decorations as they got you covered! The staff is SO nice and professional and crazy organized! My daughter was as happy as I was with Housing Works!

Jade · Married on 08/04/2016

My husband and I are from the UK and we booked Housing Works as our wedding venue without ever having been there ourselves. We knew we wanted somewhere different from the norm and the reviews and pictures we found of Housing Works were amazing! When we visited we weren't disappointed, it's such a beautiful venue.

Before we even got there we had the most helpful correspondence with Amanda who made us feel at ease even when we were arranging our wedding so far away. Amanda, Josh and all of the staff we met were so friendly and professional and just wanted to help us have the best day!

The venue doesn't need a lot of decoration which was great for us, all we needed were a few personal touches and candles to give it more of a 'wedding' feel. Everyone at our wedding said it was the best wedding they've ever been to! The food was amazing and there were so many choices to cater to everyone's tastes.

We knew our wedding was going to be great but having it at Housing Works made it perfect!

Sent on 10/26/2016

I cannot say enough good things about Housing Works Bookstore and the staff. We got married at a Catholic church nearby and celebrated our reception here afterwards. My parents have repeatedly told me how impressed they were: the food was great and the staff was outstanding! Working with Amanda and Josh was a dream. Josh was the event captain on the night of my wedding and he was a star! The rest of the staff was also very attentive and made sure I and my husband had plates made up for the cocktail hour and dinner, and a drink whenever necessary. We received so many compliments from guests about the atmosphere, the food, and the staff. It is truly a unique venue with a staff that throws a flawless event. It made my NYC wedding so special and I cannot thank them enough! If you are thinking of booking here, do it! You will not regret it!

Sent on 06/28/2016

Becky · Married on 06/04/2016

Our wedding at the Housing Works Bookstore was flawless! The venue itself is incredibly beautiful and affordable (for Manhattan) and it completely transforms from a store during the day to a really unique and romantic event space at night.
    Josh was our event captain and I cannot even put into words how amazing he was. I received compliments about him and his staff the entire night. He was accommodating, organized, friendly and just super fun to work with! The food was really delicious and they accommodated all types of dietary restrictions with absolutely no hassle or issues. If you are looking for a rare and exceptional event space in Manhattan, I highly recommend Housing Works!

Sent on 06/16/2016

Suzanne · Married on 04/23/2016

The experience from start to finish was INCREDIBLE. Amanda helps you plan and map out your event and Josh works his magic the night of to ensure top service. I don't have adequate words to express how wonderful the venue, the event planners and The Works Catering team are!

The venue is magic. Honestly, it surpassed every expectation I had. With books, hanging lights, and candles everywhere, it is a very romantic and authentic New York experience. Every single guest was raving. And the food was AWESOME.

Best part? The proceeds of the event go to support the fantastic Housing Works charity that supports New Yorkers battling with HIV/AIDS and homelessness.

If you are considering this venue for your wedding or event, do it!! You will be so happy! Best night of my life!

Sent on 10/28/2016

Maya · Married on 04/22/2016

Where do we begin?! Could there be a more perfect wedding venue for two professional word nerds living in NYC? Nope, there's no place more fitting. We feel so grateful to have found it!

Honestly, we could on and on about all the virtues of getting married at Housing Works Bookstore: the romantic, magical backdrop from every angle; the awesome, professional yet personable staff and EXCEPTIONAL event planners, who actually care about how special this day is to you, your spouse and your family; the delicious food by The Works Catering (and we mean delicious and plenty of it!) that was adjusted to our tastes and our party vibe; how everything is handled out of one venue (food, linens, tables, chairs, staff, bar, schedule, etc.); how you'll only deal with a couple of people from beginning to end; and maybe most of all, the fact that you are donating to an exceptional cause. Yes, there is still more we could rave about, but you get it.

If we could do it all again (we kind of want to), we would do it at this bookstore, no question. It will be a part of our hearts always!

annie · Married on 10/24/2015

BEST decision we ever made. I honestly don't know what more we could have asked for. Housing Works made planning so easy (seriously, all we had to do was select our food options, pick a linen color, and show up--THAT'S IT) and the night was just absolutely perfect. The space is beyond gorgeous, people raved about the food/bar, and the entire staff was just so helpful and kind both the night of and during the entire planning process. I can't say enough good things about this venue or about Amanda and Josh, who were helpful, patient, and all around an incredible calming force. Plus the fact that proceeds go to a good cause made it a lot easier for us to justify the cost of the wedding in our minds.

I should maybe add that I had some reservations about going with a less traditional space that were happily proved wrong. I was concerned that the layout would deter people from dancing. The dance floor is in the front of the store and the tables are in the back, and I thought this would make the party feel disconnected. NOPE. We had quite the epic dance party and most people mingled toward the front near the dance floor. It was definitely a cohesive event and my concerns were entirely proved wrong. I'm including this only to address others who may have similar concerns. Seriously, it could not have been a better night.

Sent on 11/05/2015
  • Jill

Jill · Married on 06/06/2015

A wedding venue that supports activist work on behalf of those with HIV/AIDS in a historic building with character, books and charm would be more than enough. But rolled in with superb catering and incredible flexibility (we wanted a Lower East Side theme to the food and they did it exquisitely) and it's a dream. Then add to that they do everything and essentially roll in a wedding planner and it couldn't possibly get better.

Sent on 06/17/2015

I cannot rave about Housing Works enough. Every aspect of our wedding was fantastic. The space is beautiful, the staff is amazing, the food was delicious. We did a cocktail-style dinner, and there was plenty of food, all great. The only drawback is the size of the space - while our 160 guests did fit, there wasn't much room for people to circulate. Guests who settled in the front of the store missed out on food that was set up in the back, etc. But for a smaller wedding - I'd say 125 or fewer? - it could not be more perfect.

Sent on 08/24/2015

This truly is a unique place for a wedding. Everybody was very professional, helpful and really catered to your every need. The food was wonderful and all our guests commented on what a great place for a wedding.

Sent on 08/14/2014

Housing Works was simply the best possible venue that we could have ever asked for. The location and style were ideal for our fun, New York wedding. Josh and Amanda were incredibly kind and helpful and made the process so easy and fun. The space is wonderfully unique and doesn't require a lot of extra decorating. The food is FANTASTIC - more than I expected! Reasonable pricing is not something we expected to find in Manhattan, and we found it here. We were able to do the ceremony and reception (including band, cocktails, and heavy appetizers including one station) for close to 100 people. For us, it was perfect!

Sent on 01/20/2015

Housing works and their event manager Amanda were incredible! I can’t express how much they brought our event together and how grateful we are that we found them. We are a queer couple who really didn’t want a “traditional” ceremony and had phobias about the whole marriage/wedding thing. We honestly didn’t know how we would do it in a way that wasn’t cheesy or uptight. Amanda and Housing Works helped us realize we could have an event that was totally our own and reflected our own values and creativity and was just incredibly intimate, relaxed and down to earth. They are totally responsive on email, very reliable and then add a bunch of extra touches in so you have nothing extra to stress about on the night. I can't recommend them highly enough!

Sent on 08/17/2014

Emily · Married on 06/28/2014

Housing Works Bookstore was the perfect venue for our wedding. The venue itself is unique and beautiful - wonderful to get married surrounded by books. All of our guests loved the space and ambiance. The staff is wonderful. We are still amazed at how quickly they were able to turn over the space from bookstore to wedding in two hours, but they did it. Housing Works in-house catering company, "The Works" produces delicious food featuring local ingredients. We got lots of compliments on the food.

On top of all that, one of the reasons we chose this venue was that a good percentage of what we spent on the event would go to support the Housing Works organization, which we've been long supporters of through book donations for years. The things you need to know that could be challenging are that you have very limited access to the space until after the bookstore closes on that day (for a 7:00 wedding, that is 5:00) and there is no refrigerator on site. However, it is well worth working around those relatively minor inconveniences.

Sent on 07/22/2014