The French Gourmet Reviews

The French Gourmet 4
The French Gourmet 5

Denisse · Married on 06/09/2019

Delicious!

Quick to respond and delicious flavors!

Sent on 06/21/2019

Kate · Married on 10/21/2018

Wonderful wedding cake

The French Gourmet made our wedding cake for our October 2018 wedding. It looked stunning, and tasted even better! Thanks Trang and the whole team at the French Gourmet.

After tasting all the different cake flavours, we opted for one layer of chocolate raspberry mousse cake and two layers of lemon cake. The chocolate raspberry mousse cake, in particular, was absolutely delicious.

The delivery driver decorated the buttercream-frosted cake with flowers set out by the florist. They did a great job and the end result was beautiful. The cake looked very natural in an outdoor environment, on a deck overlooking the ocean.

We couldn't have been happier with the cake. We only wish there had been more leftovers!! :)

Sent on 11/11/2018

Abigail · Married on 07/21/2018

We were incredibly blown away by The French Gourmet and their team. The food was incredible, and the staff was even better! We also had our wedding cake done by them, and I was blown away that they were able to replicate the photo I had shown them of my cake. Michel and his team at The French Gourmet are experts when it comes to catering and event planning. The Wedding coordinator Renee took everything I wanted and turned it into our dream wedding. We are so pleased with this company. I wish I could give 10 stars! They've been in business for years and it shows through the quality that they produce. Couldn't have been happier!

Sent on 08/08/2018
  • Tiffany

Tiffany · Married on 10/01/2016

Everyone LOVED the cake!! Thank you all for contributing to our dream wedding on October 1 at the Mission Bay Yacht Club!!

Sent on 10/07/2016

Natalie · Married on 09/03/2016

I had several people tell me this was the best wedding cake they had ever had! And I agree. It was delicious, plus beautiful. All of the staff we worked with were extremely professional and put me at ease. So glad to have used the French Gourmet!

Sent on 10/04/2016

Kimberly · Married on 08/06/2016

Choosing The French Gourmet as the caterer for our wedding was one of the best decisions we made. We have continued to receive compliments about the quality and display of the food and about the attentiveness of their service. Michel and his team created the experience we wanted for our guests.

I asked for a quote for 300 people online about 10 months before the wedding. Michel called me a few days later. He invited me, my fiance, and my parents in to try the food. All of the food was delicious. It made choosing for the wedding very difficult. Aside from the incredible food, Michel offers so much more for any kind of reception. We used his linens, china, and silverware. Healso provided the cake and all of the drinks. Michel knows weddings very well. He helped us plan the reception before and helped us execute our schedule the day of.

The French Gourmet went above and beyond. We have recommended them to all of our friends both to cater their weddings to to dine in the restaurant for a date. Michel in particular has become a good friend of our family. He is a man of character and professionalism. He wants your day to be what you want and how you want it.

Sent on 10/15/2016

Amelia · Married on 07/30/2016

Michel and his team at the French Gourmet did an incredible job at our backyard wedding in July. From the moment we met, Michel was willing to go above and beyond for us. We were planning long distance and it was a smaller residential wedding so needless to say we were asking a lot. Michel and his team were so responsive with emails and calls and even a home visit to see the lay of the land. The day of the wedding the team worked very hard to make sure everything was running smoothly. They had water and lemonade before the ceremony, provided a partial bar, set up and clean up all for a very reasonable price. In addition to great service, their menu is amazing. We knew that after our in-house tasting, but it was confirmed by a majority of wedding guests who said it was by far the best food they have ever had at a wedding. Finally, their bake staff was very accommodating as well. I ordered a small cake and 100 cupcakes, of those 25 were personally decorated at no extra charge! Their flavor options are amazing- we recommend the lemon cream! Instant favorite! 5 stars for a great team, overall. Happy Planning! A&S

Sent on 08/23/2016
  • EILEEN

EILEEN · Married on 07/02/2016

A recent review of The French Gourmet from our wedding… When my wife and I were engaged over a year ago we started meeting with vendors in preparation for our wedding day we read reviews of caterers and did several tastings as well in the San Diego, Ca area. We had eaten dinner previously to our tasting at The French Gourmet restaurant in La Jolla during one of my visits from Florida 2 years ago and loved the food and family style atmosphere. We decided to do a wedding tasting with them and ended up failing in love with the food and presentation. They ended up as #1 on our list of potential caterers for our wedding. We did several more tasting with other vendors after that and none could compare to the delectable tastings that The French Gourmet gave us. A few weeks ago we got married at St. Gabriel’s Catholic Church in Poway and had our reception in their newly remodeled beautiful reception hall with The French Gourmet as our caterer. Michel Macelot, French Chef, founder and owner of The French Gourmet, and his team pulled it off and made our wedding reception a perfect event for our guests. We had so many of our guests tell us that The French Gourmet's food was the best food they have had at a wedding. We would recommend their catering to anyone planning an event or their special day.

Sent on 07/28/2016

Renee · Married on 07/01/2016

My wedding cake was gorgeous! And it tasted even better. I would definitely recommend getting a wedding cake from them.

Sent on 12/14/2016

Victoria · Married on 06/30/2016

I used The French Gourmet for my wedding cake, from the beginning they were amazing! I received an email back pretty quickly in response to my inquiry, and went in for a cake tasting while I was in town looking over some other wedding details. Their store is the cutest thing ever and all the food looked amazing! Trang was really easy to work with and really listened to what I wanted. All the cake samples were amazing but ultimately chose the Prinlinsko with Butter Cream frosting. They called a couple days before the wedding to confirm all the details with me again and the day of the wedding everything went perfectly. The cake came out looking exactly how I wanted, their delivery was flawless and the cake tasted amazing! Their buttercream frosting is the best frosting I have ever tasted and we received a lot of compliments on our cake. I can't wait to go back to San Diego to eat at their store and order cake!

Sent on 07/06/2016

I have used The French Gourmet for years to cater work holiday events, so knew when I got married there was no other choice. Their food is all amazing, and you never have to worry that there will not be enough. Their team is so easy to work with, taking care of every little detail. We received many compliments on the food - everything from the apps, dinner, cake, and cookies that we had as our table gifts. As a sweet touch, they pack you a basket of apps, dinner, and cake to eat later that night. I loved this as you do not have time to eat (nor did I have the room in my dress) and this let us enjoy everything later that night. I am looking forward to ordering a small cake for our 1 year anniversary. It was sooo good - cheesecake/pound cake combo with raspberry - never tasted anything like it and didn't even think of this combo using cheesecake! Highly recommend!

Sent on 08/21/2016

Julia · Married on 11/13/2015

Michel and Renee were incredibly helpful, personable and attentive to detail. The food was incredible and they made everything easy and streamlined by providing all the chairs for our ceremony, linens and China! Everyone loved the dessert bar and crepe station!

Sent on 11/21/2015

Heather · Married on 10/10/2015

Trang at The French Gourmet is the best! She was so kind and patient while we selected our cake choices! We ended up getting a round 4 tier and 4 different flavors because we were so indecisive. The carrot cake was to die for! Our guests commented on how amazing the cake was and wanted more! I also added in a grooms cake with the San Diego Chargers logo that was a hit! I highly recommend The French Gourmet for any cake needs. They are fantastic! Thank you French Gourmet!!

Sent on 10/24/2015

Chelsea · Married on 10/09/2015

The French Gourmet will be catering my wedding in October. We looked into several other catering companies and decided to go with The French Gourmet. The food is great and the people are wonderful! We are working with Renee and she has been very helpful throughout the planning process. We have had a great experience so far and would not expect anything less on our wedding day.

Sent on 05/11/2015

Luke · Married on 10/04/2015

We loved our croquembouche ordered from the French Gourmet! Everyone commented on how unique and delicious it was, and Trang and the team with the French Gourmet were very responsive with scheduling the delivery, plus accommodating with the deposit when I was late to return the cake stand.

Sent on 11/21/2015

We loved working with the French Gourmet! We had a Croquenbouche which was amazing!! All the guests loved it and it was really fun!

Sent on 11/23/2015

We met with the wedding coordinator for a cake tasting. She was flexible in our choices and made suggestions based on our taste buds. We found the perfect wedding day cake and were able to combine two of our favorite flavors. We still have our cake top and cannot wait to eat the rest of it. Cake was delicious!

Sent on 10/17/2015

After trying cakes at many different bakeries in San Diego, my husband and I selected The French Gourmet for our wedding cake on June 27, 2015. We worked with Trang at The French Gourmet and were very impressed with her professionalism, customer service and knowledge. We selected The French Gourmet because of their exotic, tasty flavors and they were able to create our requested design within our budget. Our reception was at the Admiral Kidd Catering and Conference Center on a U.S. Naval Base. Trang was able to work with us to get all the required documentation for security on the base while not every vendor was able to meet these requirements with ease. On the day of the wedding the cake looked absolutely beautiful and tasted delicious. We had a four tiered cake with lemon, passion fruit and chocolate mousse flavors. All the guests thought the cake was delicious too and we received many compliments on it. Trang was able to honor her commitment to create a one year anniversary cake with white chocolate shavings in our flavor of choice for us. Just this past month as we celebrated our one year anniversary we enjoyed another 4" size passion fruit cake and it was just as delicious as the first time on our wedding day. We do not live in San Diego and so we really appreciated this special opportunity as we were not able to save and freeze the top tier for our anniversary. I highly recommend The French Gourmet for anyone looking for a wedding cake in San Diego.

Sent on 07/04/2016

Sue · Married on 12/05/2014

Trang at the French Gourmet was wonderful throughout the entire process of ordering a wedding cake from the tasting to the delivery of the cake! She was very professional and patient while we were being picky tasters and our guests enjoyed their celebratory dessert at our wedding. The cheesecake we chose was made beautifully and satisfied our taste buds. Would definitely go with the French Gourmet again whenever we need a cake!

Sent on 02/09/2015

Gavin · Married on 08/02/2014

Michel, Renee, & the rest of the French Gourmet were fantastic. They allowed my wife and I to have multiple tastings as we were on opposite sides of the country planning the wedding. The service they provided day of was phenomenal and very professional. Everyone couldn't stop complementing how delicious the food was, absolutely fantastic food. They took care of all the setup and take down and everything in between. I would recommend French Gourmet to anyone and everyone!

Sent on 08/11/2014

Crystal · Married on 06/14/2014

The French Gourmet is actually the only place I went to do a cake tasting. I knew after the tasting that I wanted them to make my cake.

We ended up with a 3-tier cake with 3 different flavors (one flavor for each tier). Our flavors of choice:
    -Lemon cream: lemony deliciousness. This was my favorite one.
    -Strawberry bagatelle:Light, sweet, delicious!
    -Pralinsko: Chocolate hazelnut. This was my favorite chocolate of all the ones I tried.

The cake was consistenly light, not too sweet, and not too dry. As far as the design, I brought a picture of how I wanted the icing to be textured. We did not go with fondant and ended up with a ruffle texture on the cake that was exactly as I imagined it. Simple, pretty, and delicious!

It was easy to get a hold of the contact, and I had absolutely no problems at any point. Would definitely recommend The French Gourmet!

Sent on 07/11/2014

Heidi · Married on 06/07/2014

Edith and her team did a fantastic job and the food was terrific! Planning a wedding from overseas was a bit of a challenge, but Edith was so great at corresponding by email, answering all my questions. I'd highly recommend the French Gourmet!

Sent on 06/20/2014

Maggie · Married on 05/18/2014

From the very beginning of the wedding planning process The French Gourmet was great. I went with a group of 5 people for the food tasting, they offered generous portions for us to sample their food. The people were all genuinely friendly...not fake. I had my wedding at the new Downtown Library, we were the first to have a wedding there and clearly the Library wasn't quite prepared with all that they had to do. Renee, the coordinator with French Gourmet had her staff take care of many of the activities that the Library was supposed to take care of but all of the activities were invisible to me and our guests.. We had 170 guests. The food was delicious, hot and the service was extraordinary.

Sent on 07/07/2014

Skyla · Married on 05/10/2014

Amazing! The French Gourmet made my wedding cake, and it was perfect and delicious! Exactly what I wanted! Trang is a wonderful woman to work with and asks every question needed to make the cake exactly how you want it.

Sent on 05/23/2014