The Francis Marion Reviews

72 The Francis Marion Reviews
  • Tabitha

Tabitha Wood · Married on 09/22/2018

The Perfect Wedding

Beautiful facilities, great value for what is included, perfect location, staff was wonderful to work with. Would highly recommend to any bride seeking an indoor elegant Charleston wedding!

The Francis Marion 1
    The Francis Marion 2
    The Francis Marion 3
    The Francis Marion 4

shelby · Married on 08/18/2018

Everything was beautiful! Gillian was amazing with responses and working to make sure that we got everything we wanted. She did everything she could to make sure we were getting the most for our budget as well as offering any resources that she had available (uplighting, candles for tables, etc). Savannah helped for the reception evening and setting up, very big help to make sure that everything went according to schedule. We had ~250 guests and had the Carolina Ballroom. It was perfect with the DJ table and a dance floor!

The Francis Marion 5

Alan · Married on 10/21/2017

Beautiful venue. Reception in the Colonial Ballroom after cocktails in the lobby. Lovely old upscale hotel. The hotel wedding director Gillian is wonderful and logistics were perfectly timed. I thought their prices were reasonable, the food and bar service were great and the venue is a southern classic. I was the father of the bride and the guy writing the checks,

Chelsea · Married on 10/18/2017

Words cannot express how grateful I am for Gillian Crum and all of the Francis Marion Hotel staff. My husband and I choose the Francis Marion Hotel for both our wedding ceremony (in the Gold Ballroom) and reception (in the Colonial Ballroom) in April 2018. From start to finish Gillian and all of the Francis Marion Hotel staff were accommodating, communicative and professional. Gillian makes wedding planning fun and easy, providing a list of reputable vendors and also patiently talking through all options during the planning process. Our wedding guests have all been raving about their pleasant experience with the front desk, house keeping and how beautiful the historic hotel is! If you are looking for a beautiful historic Charleston venue with top notch service the Francis Marion Hotel is a perfect fit.

Lauren · Married on 08/19/2017

Fantastic venue. Beautiful ballroom, amazing staff, and wonderful location for guests to stay. We couldn't be happier with our wedding experience. Gillian, the coordinator-is AMAZING and so detail oriented and experienced. We highly recommend.

April · Married on 04/08/2017

Perfect! Wonderful staff! Food excellent!

Arielle · Married on 12/30/2016

In December 2016, the Francis Marion Hotel played host to virtually every aspect of my Charleston, SC destination wedding. From the beginning, Gillian Crum was a dream to work with. She helped us to plan several events at the hotel including a welcome party in the Gold Ballroom, a bridal breakfast in Rutledge Room and our wedding ceremony, cocktail hour and reception in the Colonial Ballroom. Gillian advised and guided us throughout the process. She kept us up-to-date on our hotel room block as our guests were making reservations, she guided on menu selections (all food was excellent and we received many compliments on each meal), and she made us feel special and very well cared for. Additionally, the hotel is centrally located and perfect for guests traveling in from all parts of the world. We could not be more pleased with how our wedding weekend turned out and are so happy that we chose the Francis Marion Hotel to house our loved ones and to host our wedding festivities.

• User6155996 · 1+ year ago

Absolute best venue! I had my ceremony in the gold ballroom and reception in the Carolina ballroom. I loved that my guests could stay in the hotel and just travel one floor between the main events! That staff was so wonderful and helpful. The food was great and my guests were so pleased!! I couldn't be more happy with my venue and the event staff at Francis Marion!

Vanessa · Married on 10/23/2016

The Francis Marion is the absolute perfect hotel location! Having only been to Charleston one time before, we were unsure if we choose a good location or not. All of our older guests loved the ability to walk to dinners, and our wedding party and dates loved being right in the heart of the nightlife scene on King Streets. Very historic feel and nice accommodations.

Laura · Married on 10/22/2016

The Francis Marion lived up to all of our wedding expectations! We actually booked the Carolina Ballroom without even visiting and we couldn't have been happier with our choice. Being from out of town, we were very thankful for Gillian Crum (wedding coordinator at the Francis Marion)! She answered any questions we had leading up to the wedding day and was extremely helpful when it came to decorations and a timeline for the day. We were able to arrange a food tasting, which helped us narrow down our choices. Although, the decision was not easy because everything we tasted was amazing! On our wedding day, both sides of the wedding party were able get ready at the hotel. We used the bridal suite and reserved one of the conference rooms. Some of the staff checked in with us throughout the day and made sure we had everything we needed. Everything ran smoothly throughout the day and through the evening. Our guests raved about the food and how fun the venue was for a downtown Charleston wedding. We, along with our families, would highly recommend the Francis Marion! We are so thankful we were able to use them for our special day! -Laura & Jake

Shelly · Married on 10/21/2016

Absolutely amazing and perfect venue!! We are so thrilled and satisfied with the whole wedding planning process and the actual day of. Gillian Crum, their wedding coordinator is absolutely the best! She is great with communication and replying and answering any questions we had! She went above and beyond for us! The best part was so much is included with this venue...food, alcohol, tables, chairs, linens, dishes, and even center pieces if you don't already have your own. Made for a very easy planning process! Can't say enough about Gillian and the hotel! Not to mention it's right in the heart of beautiful downtown Charleston which made for gorgeous wedding pics!

Courtney · Married on 10/15/2016

There are not enough nice things to say about Francis Marion Hotel. Everything I asked for they were able to do! The venue is gorgeous and the staff is fantastic. Gillian and her team went above and beyond to make our day extra special. My only complaint.....the day wasn't longer! If I had it to do all over again, I would choose Francis Marion for my reception every time!

We have just started our wedding planning and we chose the Francis Marion as our venue for the wedding and ceremony. So far it has been an awesome experience and we look forward to the next few months of planning!

Karen · Married on 12/28/2015

The Francis Marion Hotel was a beautiful location for our wedding reception and rehearsal dinner. Gillian Crum was very professional and easy to work with. We had so many great compliments about the dinner and how beautiful everything looked, we were very pleased. My only complaint was the wedding guests had no place to sit down while waiting for the bridal party to arrive, we fully expected the doors to be open to the ballroom so our guests had someplace to sit and be comfortable while awaiting for us to arrive.

I highly recommend Gillian and the team at the Francis Marion. Rarely does an event come together exactly as you pictured it. Our wedding was wonderful and all our guests cannot remember the last time a wedding was so perfect and when they had such a great time.

I can't say enough great things about our experience at the Francis Marion Hotel. From booking the event (15 months before the wedding) to following up after the wedding night had passed Gillian was an angel. She is prompt, professional, patient (which is HUGE), organized, and VERY knowledgable. The Ballrooms are BEAUTIFUL and well maintained, and any decorations only add to their historic charm. We used the Colonial ballroom and had a beautiful view of Hampton Park at night, already decorated for the holidays! We ended up having under 150 guests, plus staff and vendors in the ballroom and we were quite comfortable and it was all very roomy. The waitstaff, bartenders, and chefs are friendly and professional. My husband and I had a server introduce herself at the beginning of the night and she saw to it that we had anything we needed- food, drink, cake, tissues, you name it!

If we had to do this whole thing over again, I would still use the Francis Marion. It is a complete package- food, drink, tables, linens- It is all there! We did end up purchasing upgraded linens online, but everything else we used belonged to the hotel.

Julie · Married on 09/12/2015

We absolutely LOVED every minute of planning our wedding at the Francis Marion Hotel! Gillian is amazing, as was the entire staff. From beginning to end, every question we had was answered and every detail planned to make sure we were getting exactly what we wanted. They were extremely accommodating and we loved the fact that we didn't have to travel all over Charleston on our wedding day. They're wedding packages and pricing are ideal for a couple on a budget (mindful however that this is Charleston we're talking about). The space was gorgeous and the food absolutely delicious. I really cannot say enough great things about the Francis Marion!

Kristina · Married on 08/28/2015

I'm extremely late on writing a review on my wedding experience at the Francis Marion Hotel, but better late than never.
    I had my gorgeous wedding last year in the Carolina Ballroom. Gillian and her team were phenomenal! I am very detailed when it comes to planning and Gillian was so patient answering my gazillion emails and calls.
    My wedding went so smooth it's as if Gillian and I were rehearsing for years. Our family loved our wedding and still talks about the exceptional service and delicious entrees! Oh yes, the Chicken Wellington and Salmon were everyone's favorite meal.
    The cost of the the venue was worth EVERY penny. I do mean that! I would definitely recommend having a wedding at the Francis Marion.
    Also, we just had our 1 st Anniversary! We spent the night at the Francis Marion Hotel(complementary for having your wedding there). We are so glad we had our wedding here!

Joseph · Married on 07/04/2015

The Francis Marion Hotel basically sells itself as a reception venue, after visiting multiple locations I immediately thought the Francis Marion was "it" as soon as we stepped inside the Colonial Ballroom. Included with the venue rental were the services of a day-of coordinator, Gillian Crum. Gillian was awesome, my wife constantly came up with a million question e-mails that were always answered promptly. Gillian and the hotel were incredibly flexible, anything we could think of to ask was never a problem. Also included was a complimentary night in a suite the night of the wedding! The catering was perfect, we did stations and there were two hours of unlimited station refills. No one left hungry, and that's what we wanted. I'm still getting compliments on how good the food tasted. My wife constantly reassures me the wedding and reception were perfect, and we wouldn't change a thing if we could.

lindsey · Married on 05/29/2015

The Francis Marion was the PERFECT venue for our wedding ceremony and reception. The food was amazing! The staff did a beautiful job decorating the room EXACTLY how we wanted it! The staff was professional, helpful and courteous, and Gillian Crum did an AMAZING job coordinating our wedding from the day we booked until the day we walked down the aisle. I highly recommend this venue, you won't be disappointed!

Sarah · Married on 04/18/2015

We are so glad we went with the Francis Marion for our reception! Being that they not only provide a beautiful venue with no further decor or furniture rentals needed, but also provide the catering, they were a fantastic deal and made wedding planning so much easier than it would have been otherwise. Caroline and Gillian were always incredibly kind, professional, and easy to work with. They also helped us out with many things in addition the reception itself, such as discounted hotel rooms, a big conference room furnished with chairs, tables, and mirrors for the boys to get ready in, another room with a dessert and coffee bar for the parent's after-party, and a complementary honeymoon suite for us! Most importantly, the reception itself was flawless!

Marianne · Married on 03/14/2015

We had our wedding reception at the Francis Marion for our April 11, 2015 wedding.
    Gillian Crum was SUCH a pleasure to work with - friendly, responsive, she had great ideas too! We were planning our wedding from New York and she was always available to talk on the phone about the layout, set up, where things were going to be placed - such as photos, guest book, etc.

She really took care of everything and we didn't have to hire a separate wedding coordinator to help planning a destination wedding. The end result of the reception was absolutely gorgeous - it really looked exactly how i imagined it and planned for it to look.

Gillian was also very accommodating at the event, making sure we always had a drink in our hand or food on our plates.

The food was great and they were also accommodating with last minute people showing up to the wedding that werent planned.

I think this is a great location for a wedding - my theme was elegant and classic.

Debbie · Married on 12/20/2014

I had to put together a small wedding for my daughter in 4 weeks over the Christmas holiday season. The entire hotel staff was very accommodating to our needs before, during and after the event; attention to every detail was excellent. Customer service was beyond outstanding from every employee you encountered. I would highly recommend the Francis Marion Hotel for any wedding or event.

Erin · Married on 11/15/2014

We held our wedding at the Francis Marion in November 2014. We loved the classic Charleston feel of the Colonial Ballroom. The staff was always helpful and patient with us as we changed our minds about the menu every other day. I was a little nervous at first since we had to use the in-house caterer but we were blown away by the tasting! The food was beyond delicious and everyone raved about it after the reception.

We would highly recommend the Francis Marion!