The Francis Marion Reviews

The Francis Marion 7
  • Brittney

Brittney Hughes · Getting married on 10/05/2019

Ceremony and Reception

Out of all the venues my fiancé and I contacted only two were responsive and flexible. Francis Marion and their gem, Savannah, happened to be one of them. Savannah is detailed oriented, made us feel comfortable and was extremely open. Francis Marion really provides a lot for your money. We are planning our wedding from Atlanta and are never worried since we know Savannah is on top of things. I would definitely recommend looking at one of their three ballrooms for your event.

Sent on 03/13/2019

Brittney,
    Thank you so much for your kind comments! We are very honored to be hosting your special day and looking forward to October!
  • April

April · Married on 07/06/2019

Elegant & Simply Mesmerizing

We held our wedding reception at the Francis Marion Hotel. Its one of the iconic historic hotels in Charleston, SC. We wanted to thank FMH & Savannah the wedding manager for accommodating us and our guest in their beautiful Colonial Ballroom. The ballroom was large and could fit up to 300 guests. The colonial is very inviting with large windows overlooking the Marion Square Park at the intersection of Calhoun St. & King St. The lighting was well lit and as the night progresses, the lights dim to give the guest a sense of the night setting in. The food prepared by Chef Simon was fantastic and was well worth the wait. We had horderves served during the cocktail hour which was a collection of Antipasto and during the reception dinner we had Chicken Pesto over Risoto & Braised Beef Short-Ribs over Cheesy Grits paired with an appetizer of She Crab Soup which is an iconic Charleston soup. The service of the servers were mature and very respectful. The Francis Marion Hotel also gives the newly weds a complimentary night in their Bridal Room which includes a little gift of Champagne & Chocolate Strawberries for your romantic stay. Overall, we enjoyed the time spent at The Francis Marion Hotel and we look forward to visiting again in the future. If you are ever looking for a place to hold your wedding reception especially in the summertime, The Francis Marion Hotel is the place to go.

- XOXO
    Mr. & Mrs. Salvador

Sent on 07/15/2019
    The Francis Marion 8

Mr. and Mrs. Salvador,
    Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a kind review. We were so happy to be a part of your special day, and everything was beautiful! We wish you both all the best in your future as husband & wife!

Amanda Edwards · Married on 06/15/2019

Amazing Charleston Venue

We had our reception in the Gold Ballroom and it was absolutely beautiful! Gillian helped us initially then Savannah took over and they were both wonderful to work with! Excellent with communication and making sure everything was what we wanted. The option of providing your own alcohol gave us the option to chose our favorite beers and wines to allow our guests more choices crafted by us- we had 4 local beers.
    Also, other venues in Charleston do not include tables, chairs, linens and dinnerware/ service ware/ glass wear; the Francis Marion does and it was great to not have to bring another vendor into the picture.
    It’s convenient location in the heart of downtown was perfect for our guests. I’d recommend the Francis Marion to any bride looking for a beautiful venue in downtown Charleston.

Sent on 06/17/2019

The Francis Marion's reply:

Thank you so much for the thoughtful words, Amanda. It was a pleasure working with you and Will, and we were so happy to host your special day! Best wishes!
  • Meghan

Meghan · Married on 12/01/2018

Elegance, charm, and ease. Sure to impress!

We had our ceremony and reception at FMH, and our wedding experience was fantastic from the very beginning. The property itself is an absolute dream! From the architecture to the décor to the downtown location, the Francis Marion Hotel was everything we wanted and more (at a surprisingly reasonable price)! We worked with Gillian first and then Savannah, who didn’t skip a beat when taking over our wedding. Both ladies were wonderful! I planned the wedding from 900 miles away and did not meet Savannah in person until the wedding weekend, however it was super easy to coordinate the event via email. When we finally met for the rehearsal, she had everything organized and ready to go. We are extremely pleased with FMH and couldn’t be happier that we chose this venue!

Sent on 12/24/2018
    The Francis Marion 9
    The Francis Marion 10
    The Francis Marion 11
    The Francis Marion 12
  • Brandon

Brandon · Married on 10/28/2018

This place was like a dream come true

This place was simply amazing.

Sent on 11/10/2018
  • Whitney

Whitney Pitner · Married on 10/13/2018

Must book!

I cannot express how amazing and beautiful my wedding was at the Francis Marion. The coordinator, Savannah, was AMAZING, and the staff was so friendly and helpful. Not once did I have an issue with planning. All my expectations were met and exceeded, and I cannot believe they are able to offer what they do at such an amazing price. They make weddings and events move flawlessly, and you’re missing out if you don’t snag this venue! If you’re wanting a Charleston themed venue, BOOK! I wish I could redo my wedding just to relive my reception at the Francis Marion all over again! HIGHLY recommend!!!

Sent on 10/26/2018

Rene · Married on 10/06/2018

Wedding reception at Francis Marion

I highly recommend Francis Marion for your wedding reception venue! We had our daughter’s wedding reception there a couple weeks ago. The staff is very helpful and go beyond the call to make your event a day to remember! We started working with Gillian, then after her promotion, we worked with Savannah! They both were professional and kind! Any questions I had they would respond to in a timely manner! They set up the ballroom for us and helped pack it up afterwards! Please give your business to Francis Marion! You won’t be disappointed!

Sent on 10/26/2018
  • Tabitha

Tabitha Wood · Married on 09/22/2018

The Perfect Wedding

Beautiful facilities, great value for what is included, perfect location, staff was wonderful to work with. Would highly recommend to any bride seeking an indoor elegant Charleston wedding!

Sent on 10/17/2018
    The Francis Marion 13
    The Francis Marion 14
    The Francis Marion 15
    The Francis Marion 16

shelby · Married on 08/18/2018

Everything was beautiful! Gillian was amazing with responses and working to make sure that we got everything we wanted. She did everything she could to make sure we were getting the most for our budget as well as offering any resources that she had available (uplighting, candles for tables, etc). Savannah helped for the reception evening and setting up, very big help to make sure that everything went according to schedule. We had ~250 guests and had the Carolina Ballroom. It was perfect with the DJ table and a dance floor!

Sent on 09/18/2018
    The Francis Marion 17

Alan · Married on 10/21/2017

Beautiful venue. Reception in the Colonial Ballroom after cocktails in the lobby. Lovely old upscale hotel. The hotel wedding director Gillian is wonderful and logistics were perfectly timed. I thought their prices were reasonable, the food and bar service were great and the venue is a southern classic. I was the father of the bride and the guy writing the checks,

Sent on 10/30/2017

Chelsea · Married on 10/18/2017

Words cannot express how grateful I am for Gillian Crum and all of the Francis Marion Hotel staff. My husband and I choose the Francis Marion Hotel for both our wedding ceremony (in the Gold Ballroom) and reception (in the Colonial Ballroom) in April 2018. From start to finish Gillian and all of the Francis Marion Hotel staff were accommodating, communicative and professional. Gillian makes wedding planning fun and easy, providing a list of reputable vendors and also patiently talking through all options during the planning process. Our wedding guests have all been raving about their pleasant experience with the front desk, house keeping and how beautiful the historic hotel is! If you are looking for a beautiful historic Charleston venue with top notch service the Francis Marion Hotel is a perfect fit.

Sent on 04/20/2018

Lauren · Married on 08/19/2017

Fantastic venue. Beautiful ballroom, amazing staff, and wonderful location for guests to stay. We couldn't be happier with our wedding experience. Gillian, the coordinator-is AMAZING and so detail oriented and experienced. We highly recommend.

Sent on 08/22/2017

April · Married on 04/08/2017

Perfect! Wonderful staff! Food excellent!

Sent on 04/10/2017

Arielle · Married on 12/30/2016

In December 2016, the Francis Marion Hotel played host to virtually every aspect of my Charleston, SC destination wedding. From the beginning, Gillian Crum was a dream to work with. She helped us to plan several events at the hotel including a welcome party in the Gold Ballroom, a bridal breakfast in Rutledge Room and our wedding ceremony, cocktail hour and reception in the Colonial Ballroom. Gillian advised and guided us throughout the process. She kept us up-to-date on our hotel room block as our guests were making reservations, she guided on menu selections (all food was excellent and we received many compliments on each meal), and she made us feel special and very well cared for. Additionally, the hotel is centrally located and perfect for guests traveling in from all parts of the world. We could not be more pleased with how our wedding weekend turned out and are so happy that we chose the Francis Marion Hotel to house our loved ones and to host our wedding festivities.

Sent on 01/30/2017

Absolute best venue! I had my ceremony in the gold ballroom and reception in the Carolina ballroom. I loved that my guests could stay in the hotel and just travel one floor between the main events! That staff was so wonderful and helpful. The food was great and my guests were so pleased!! I couldn't be more happy with my venue and the event staff at Francis Marion!

Sent on 12/18/2016

Vanessa · Married on 10/23/2016

The Francis Marion is the absolute perfect hotel location! Having only been to Charleston one time before, we were unsure if we choose a good location or not. All of our older guests loved the ability to walk to dinners, and our wedding party and dates loved being right in the heart of the nightlife scene on King Streets. Very historic feel and nice accommodations.

Sent on 10/26/2016

Laura · Married on 10/22/2016

The Francis Marion lived up to all of our wedding expectations! We actually booked the Carolina Ballroom without even visiting and we couldn't have been happier with our choice. Being from out of town, we were very thankful for Gillian Crum (wedding coordinator at the Francis Marion)! She answered any questions we had leading up to the wedding day and was extremely helpful when it came to decorations and a timeline for the day. We were able to arrange a food tasting, which helped us narrow down our choices. Although, the decision was not easy because everything we tasted was amazing! On our wedding day, both sides of the wedding party were able get ready at the hotel. We used the bridal suite and reserved one of the conference rooms. Some of the staff checked in with us throughout the day and made sure we had everything we needed. Everything ran smoothly throughout the day and through the evening. Our guests raved about the food and how fun the venue was for a downtown Charleston wedding. We, along with our families, would highly recommend the Francis Marion! We are so thankful we were able to use them for our special day! -Laura & Jake

Sent on 01/02/2017

Shelly · Married on 10/21/2016

Absolutely amazing and perfect venue!! We are so thrilled and satisfied with the whole wedding planning process and the actual day of. Gillian Crum, their wedding coordinator is absolutely the best! She is great with communication and replying and answering any questions we had! She went above and beyond for us! The best part was so much is included with this venue...food, alcohol, tables, chairs, linens, dishes, and even center pieces if you don't already have your own. Made for a very easy planning process! Can't say enough about Gillian and the hotel! Not to mention it's right in the heart of beautiful downtown Charleston which made for gorgeous wedding pics!

Sent on 10/28/2016

Courtney · Married on 10/15/2016

There are not enough nice things to say about Francis Marion Hotel. Everything I asked for they were able to do! The venue is gorgeous and the staff is fantastic. Gillian and her team went above and beyond to make our day extra special. My only complaint.....the day wasn't longer! If I had it to do all over again, I would choose Francis Marion for my reception every time!

Sent on 11/04/2016

We have just started our wedding planning and we chose the Francis Marion as our venue for the wedding and ceremony. So far it has been an awesome experience and we look forward to the next few months of planning!

Sent on 09/05/2015

Karen · Married on 12/28/2015

The Francis Marion Hotel was a beautiful location for our wedding reception and rehearsal dinner. Gillian Crum was very professional and easy to work with. We had so many great compliments about the dinner and how beautiful everything looked, we were very pleased. My only complaint was the wedding guests had no place to sit down while waiting for the bridal party to arrive, we fully expected the doors to be open to the ballroom so our guests had someplace to sit and be comfortable while awaiting for us to arrive.

Sent on 01/17/2016

I highly recommend Gillian and the team at the Francis Marion. Rarely does an event come together exactly as you pictured it. Our wedding was wonderful and all our guests cannot remember the last time a wedding was so perfect and when they had such a great time.

Sent on 11/18/2015

I can't say enough great things about our experience at the Francis Marion Hotel. From booking the event (15 months before the wedding) to following up after the wedding night had passed Gillian was an angel. She is prompt, professional, patient (which is HUGE), organized, and VERY knowledgable. The Ballrooms are BEAUTIFUL and well maintained, and any decorations only add to their historic charm. We used the Colonial ballroom and had a beautiful view of Hampton Park at night, already decorated for the holidays! We ended up having under 150 guests, plus staff and vendors in the ballroom and we were quite comfortable and it was all very roomy. The waitstaff, bartenders, and chefs are friendly and professional. My husband and I had a server introduce herself at the beginning of the night and she saw to it that we had anything we needed- food, drink, cake, tissues, you name it!

If we had to do this whole thing over again, I would still use the Francis Marion. It is a complete package- food, drink, tables, linens- It is all there! We did end up purchasing upgraded linens online, but everything else we used belonged to the hotel.

Sent on 11/17/2015

Julie · Married on 09/12/2015

We absolutely LOVED every minute of planning our wedding at the Francis Marion Hotel! Gillian is amazing, as was the entire staff. From beginning to end, every question we had was answered and every detail planned to make sure we were getting exactly what we wanted. They were extremely accommodating and we loved the fact that we didn't have to travel all over Charleston on our wedding day. They're wedding packages and pricing are ideal for a couple on a budget (mindful however that this is Charleston we're talking about). The space was gorgeous and the food absolutely delicious. I really cannot say enough great things about the Francis Marion!

Sent on 10/31/2015