The Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens Reviews

The Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens 2
The Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens 3
  • Mrs. V

Andrea · Getting married on 07/27/2019

I worked with Cara, the events coordinator, to plan my August wedding at the Cummer. She was very responsive and quick to send over contracts, make changes and answer any questions I had. Since it is a museum, you have to keep in mind that they are very strict with what you are allowed to do there. Your event cannot start until the museum is closed and must end at midnight. Vendor drop offs are only during certain hours as well. Not a big deal but something to be mindful of. One unexpected cost was lighting. You are only allowed to use their approved vendor Mark Grandin, who was an additional $5000 on top of the already expensive venue rental. He has to set up all the fixed ceiling lighting over the tables, hang any fixtures, etc. Although, he did add some really cool features like strands of light curtains in the lobby which I liked. Cara worked with us to set up our ceremony in one of the lower gardens to accommodate 150 seated guests. She had all the speakers and microphones set up for our ceremony and went over everything with us during our rehearsal. We had our reception in the Terry Gallery and also utilized the Ubilie Loggia lobby area where we set up our bar, cake table, name cards, etc. Our cocktail hour was in the Loggia and back lawn area. For the reception, the Cummer provided all the tables and silver chiavari chairs. We used the recommended catering company, The Chef's Garden. Jenn from the Chef's Garden and Cara have planned many events together so they know what they're doing. The food was excellent and they were easy to work with. The plated dinner was served quickly so we could get on with our party. The whole event ran smoothly so we were able to enjoy ourselves. I didn't have to do one thing on the wedding day because of the awesome team of people at the Cummer and professional vendors like The Chef's Garden. I always dreamed of getting married at the Cummer and it was everything I imagined and more!

The Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens 4
    The Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens 5
    The Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens 6

Lindzie · Married on 03/28/2015

The Cummer was fantastic. The staff was very helpful and answered all of my questions in a timely manner. Cara was so helpful at laying out our floor plan & day of time line. I had the most amazing wedding and would recommend the Cummer to everyone. It's well worth the money! You get excellent service.

The Cummer Museum of Art and Gardens was my first choice for my reception. I would book them as soon as possible because they book up extremely fast! Our reception was outside in the upper gardens. Everything was so beautiful! The scenery outside, the St. Johns River and the huge Oak tree just provided for a very romantic feel! The Cummer provides chairs and tables, they even have a few other items available for your use which is a huge plus! The art galleries are even open for your guests during the night and the Cummer provides security throughout the entire night! Herman with the Cummer staff was very kind and helpful. Cara, the event planner at the Cummer is very responsive, sweet and professional. On a side note, photographers are not allowed to bring tripods here for some odd reason and the prices are now extremely higher than in the past year. I would recommend the Cummer to anyone looking for a perfect wedding with a view of beautiful gardens and the St. Johns River!

Kathleen · Married on 11/04/2012

I couldn't change a thing, our garden wedding was beautiful; it was perfect. We are so grateful for all of Cara's efforts. She made our event seem effortless, she is a natural at dotting i's and crossing t's. Thank you!

The Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens is absolutely magical! It is the most beautiful venue for any event, and was simply perfect for my wedding! All of the staff was wonderful to work with, especially Cara Bowyer who is the event coordinator on site. The Terry Gallery (where the reception was held) is a blank slate and can be turned into anything that will fit your event vision. The Loggia area is amazing to host guests in, and of course the gardens are gorgeous for everyone to roam through. It was easy to plan my big day, and everyone was so organized and on top of things to make sure the event went smoothly. My guests are still raving about this venue weeks after, and I highly recommend this venue to anyone looking to have an amazing time in Jacksonville!!

Lindsay · Married on 03/31/2012

When booking a venue, The Cummer is beyond expectations. Cara Bowyer is the events coordinator for the museum and is kind-hearted, helpful and quick to respond to any questions. Our wedding was to be held outside in the gardens, inside for dinner and back outside for dancing, but when it poured on our wedding day, it was nice to have a built in back-up plan. It was great that people could wander the exhibits and the gardens (once the rain stopped.) The Terry Gallery is a nice, blank slate so anything can be done in that room. We had a wedding of 130, with a plated meal and had the perfect amount of space. Another nice thing about the Museum is you can provide your own alcohol. The preferred caterer is the Chef's Garden and they were fabulous to work with and provided great food and service.

Elisha · Married on 02/18/2012

This venue took everyone's breath away. The exhibits are open for your guest to enjoy during your reception. It is located right on the river surrounded by a beautiful garden. Cara and her team were with us every step of the way and made everything perfect.

We had our wedding reception at the Cummer Museum of Art and Garden. The venue was amazing and Cara Bower was fantastic to work with. I would highly recommend this venue to anyone planning their wedding.

• Lindsay

Lindsay · Married on 10/06/2012

I am so happy that we chose the Cummer for our wedding and reception venue! Cara was an absolute joy to work with. We had our ceremony in the lower tier, cocktail hour in the upper tier, dinner in the Terry Gallery, and dancing back in the upper tier of the gardens. Everything was absolutely perfect! The night before, I had some vendors wanting me to move the entire wedding inside, but Cara encouraged me to go with my gut feeling and ultimately I decided to keep everything set up the way it was originally planned. Boy am I glad I did! It rained up until 30 minutes before the ceremony and cleared up for the rest of the night.

My guests are still raving about how elegant and fun the evening was. With the venue rental, you get ceremony chairs, tables, and chiavari chairs. The Terry Gallery is a blank space that accommodates endless seating plans and decor options. We had our bar set up in the Loggia along with hors d'ouvres. The gardens offer so many beautiful locations for pictures. The art galleries are open throughout the evening so your guests can stroll through the galleries at their leisure. I cannot say enough about our experience with the Cummer! The only downside I could see is that you have to pay extra to bring in an outside caterer (although I'm not sure why you would want to because the Chef's Garden is absolutely superb!).

• Peyton

Peyton · Married on 05/12/2012

Both the Cummer and Cara, the coordinator there, are wonderful to work with. The Cummer is absolutely beautiful in person and even more stunning in pictures. I was unsure of having my reception there because the layout is not one large room, but it worked perfectly for our large group of around 275. Cara is extremely professional and helpful, and a pleasure to work with. The Cummer is a beautiful place to get married!

lyndsey · Married on 01/26/2013

I highly recommend this venue. Cara was very professional and helpful in the planning process.

Emily · Married on 07/09/2011

I absolutely loved our reception at the Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens!! It is a gorgeous location that you have to check out. It is located right on the river and the flowers are in full bloom spring and throughout the summer. Cara Bowyer is very organized and is good about getting right back to you. The location even includes gold chivari chairs (ivory chair pads INCLUDED!), 60" rounds, as well as several highboys. This is a HUGE value! I would definitely recommend at least going to check this place out if you are wanting something a little different for your reception.

Linda · Married on 04/02/2015

The Cummer was a beautiful venue for our wedding. We wanted a place that had multiple options for our guests to enjoy themselves. Months after our wedding, our guests still rave about the Cummer and the catering provided in house. The museum is beautiful at night and our guests were able to enjoy the gardens in the moonlight. We got married in front of the old oak tree and our wedding pictures were exquisite in the English gardens.

Maria · Married on 10/22/2011

3.5

A beautiful location! Your guests will be pleased with not only how gorgeous the venue is but also the freedom to explore the exhibits.

4.2
      3.5

The Cummer Museum of Art and Gardens was our ceremony and reception venue and was exactly what I wanted! We hosted our ceremony on the lower tier outside with the St. Johns River as our backdrop and the reception was split between the upper tier and the Loggia room inside. Cara Bowyer was incredible to work with - so professional, always quick to respond and as flexible as she could be with me as I had a specific vision! The venue is a bit pricey but there is nothing like it in Jacksonville and well worth it!

3.4
      3.0

Ever since I was a little girl, I dreamed of having my reception at the Cummer. What's not to love about it?! It's beautiful! Especially those gardens! Ahh! So, with that being said, that's it. It's super expensive, you can't have a reception past midnight, you need to pay extra for security, you pay an extra fee for having an outside caterer (now, I think you have no choice but to go with an in house caterer, which are no good). Cara was not the best at responding to emails or phone calls. Sometimes I felt overlooked or that my concerns were not valid. I wouldn't change anything about my wedding and I'd probably do it all over again just because my wedding day was perfect, but I still have my reservations about it.