The Canyon Club Reviews

7 | Albuquerque, NM

7 Reviews for The Canyon Club

Susan · Married on 07/14/2018

I feel so blessed that we chose The Canyon Club for my son's wedding! From the beginning when we chose our wedding package, to the actual wedding day, everything flowed so well it seemed easy. Before I went to the club, everyone told me that organizing a wedding is difficult. But it is not hard if you choose the right people. Brandy Smotts sold us on the club. Their prices are reasonable and the food and atmosphere is just right. She helped us choose the right package for our son and (now) daughter-in-law. Once we were finished with the overall plan with Brandy, we met the Coordinator, Julie Dees. She helped me through all the evolving phases leading up to the day, Every question I had was answered, even on Julie's days off, and since this was my first experience planning a wedding, I had many questions. Julie always answered them with courtesy and professionalism. Everyone helping at the wedding treated us kindly. It was an amazing wedding, and we heard so many compliments! If you want a smooth, easy time planning yours, or your son or daughter's wedding, look no further than The Canyon Club! They are a class act, because they have the right people in all the right places! We have literally no complaints. It was the perfect wedding! Thank you, Brandy, for getting us into the right package. Thank you, Julie, for helping me through the entire process up through the BIG DAY. Cheers! You truly are the best in your business! Thank you.

Sent on 07/17/2018

Christine · Married on 04/28/2018

Julie was amazing and the venue was perfect. Food was good and service was excellent. Thank you for making the day special.

Sent on 05/02/2018

Jean · Married on 09/12/2009

Although this is an older Country Club, and the oriental carpeting is dated (but still beautiful), the facilities are grand and the Rio Grande Ballroom was perfect for our daughter's wedding of 150 people. The food the Club prepared was sumptuous, and our vendors were happy to be working at the Club to participate in the wedding and have it on their records. If you live in the Albuquerque area and are getting married, I would highly recommend Four Hills Country Club for your wedding and reception. Our daughter's ceremony was held out by the pool (sooo clean) under the giant concrete pergola in the grass. It was wonderful and so pretty as the sun set behind them during the ceremony with all the greenery of the golf course, and the lights of Albuquerque to look down at. We had placed pretty sandalwood fans on the seats so people could use them as sunglasses/fans. They went over great! The weather was so pleasant and then the reception upstairs in the ballroom! What an experience! I'll never forget it!

Sent on 09/19/2009

Haven · Married on 05/04/2018

A beautiful place!! We got a lot for our money, and are genuinely happy with the overall look of how Beautiful this place was. Finding this place was so fantastic. Quick to respond to messages too! Very nice staff! helped with recommendations too, which is awesome.

Like with all positives comes negatives (the way of life).

You would have to set up the venue the day of the wedding, you cant drop anything off the night before or set up. So during the hectic morning of the wedding you have to find time to set up the whole wedding and decorate it. Unless you want to pay an extra $1,000 to go in the night before.
    You have to make sure EVERYTHING is picked up the night of the wedding as well or you forfeit everything to the venue.

I'm sure this is how every venue is, but, we probably paid like an extra $700 in food alone. With some people that didn't show up and some people that didn't RSVP actually showed up. Since we opted for a plated dinner (cheaper than a buffet) we had to have place cards for every person. I was thinking, that if so and so didn't show up then another person could use their dinner card so food wouldn't go to waste. but that was a HUGE deal to the venue and they made a big fuss about that. I forgot to write my dad and step moms name on a card, and they were like oh lets just grab an extra card that's on the table and the venue got real mad about that. But all in all i think it worked it self out.

My mother in law put a credit card on file to be charged, if there was any extra food that needed to be charged or any damages occurred. Pretty standard stuff. But they were supposed to call her and tell her the amount that was being charged before they charged it, they didn't. However, when I emailed them and asked them whats up with that, they apologized to me. So they didn't deny it or sidestep it, so it turned out to be nice.

Finally, you cant use the lake that they have there for twilight photos anymore. what a Bummer...

Sent on 05/23/2018

Katie · Married on 10/06/2018

3.5
      3.5

Our wedding was beautiful. A few hiccups along the way, but overall everything came together great! Thank you Canyon Club!!

Sent on 10/12/2018

Dayna · Married on 09/08/2018

2.4
      1.5
      2.0

Pros of this venue: The location is gorgeous, the lawn is always manicured, everything has a place and it’s extremely clean. The venue has an alternate location for an indoor wedding in case it rains on your outdoor wedding ( of course it’s an extra fee that you can’t get around). The price overall, was pretty affordable. They can accommodate up to 200 guests which is nice for big families. They provide golf karts for handicap guests at the wedding and one for the bride to be taken to the outdoor venue and for the bride and groom to go off and take pictures. The food was good and they even provided a vegan plate for one of my family members with advance notice.
    Now for the cons, after you pay your down payment you have to keep on top of deadlines and meetings with Julie, the event coordinator, to do food tasting and get down the final details. Often times she overlooked my emails. Julie will tell you multiple times she’s been doing this for 25 years and she’s good if you want your wedding to be completely traditional and entirely her way. I did not. Multiple times she used words like “unusual”, “untraditional” and “out of the ordinary” to describe my wedding and my choices and would try to talk me out of doing things certain ways. It is best if you use the venues preferred vendors because they know how Julie works and everything is just more smooth because of it. The venue has many rules that they spring on you and are not in the contract. You cannot bring any food into the venue, ever. They straight up tell you that they will kick you out of your own wedding if you do and threaten that they have done it before. Same goes with alcohol but that’s understandable due to the fact that they can lose their liquor license. My rehearsal was a disaster and Julie had no clue what was happening. The actual wedding day went extremely well, and Julie was great and extremely helpful the day of. Pictures were unfortunately rushed.

Sent on 09/18/2018

The Canyon Club's reply:

Dayna,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. I would love to find out more on some of your concerns so that I look more into them. If you would please call 505-355-5854 or email bsmotts@canyonclubgolf.com so that we help address these.

With Regards,