The Cannery Reviews

4.1

• WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2018 Winner

Briana N. Married on 10/19/2019

Amazing venue

Just celebrated my wedding ceremony and reception at the Cannery. The chapel is adorable and cozy, and the reception space is amazing. I’ve gotten so many compliments on the space, the food, everything! If you’re interested, book fast!! The Cannery is busy (because it’s perfect)!
    Allion Married on 03/24/2018
    We held CNY Mom Prom at The Cannery this year and absolutely loved the set up! We have always had CNY Mom Prom at Dibble’s Inn and are very thankful to work with Dave, Joanne, Pam, Barb, and Renee. Pam helped us in The Cannery this year and was very accommodating and full of great ideas to help us set up. I cannot say enough good things about her! The food was delicious, the desserts - cupcakes and brownies - were outstanding and the whole entire staff was so wonderful, polite, and full of smiles! Thank you so much for making our event the best we’ve had yet!
    Christine Married on 02/03/2018
    February 3rd was the day of our daughter Stephanie (Mesmer) Wigtons wedding. It was truly one of the best days ever! Annalee Stirpe our wedding coordinator made the wedding venue a “magical winter wonderland”. She helped us immensely with all of the special details to make our day so special. All of the decorations we brought in were placed exquisitely on each table and with the floating candles lit just made it all so warm and inviting. I cannot say enough about The Cannery. From the Hors d’oeuvres, to the champagne fountain and the frozen gelato. Let’s not forget the delicious food and baked goods. All of our guests were raving about it. Whether it was friends or family, they all had an absolutely wonderful time.

I recommend The Cannery for your next event. You will be amazed. The staff was exceptional might I add.

Thank you again! It was an awesome day!
    Jessica Married on 12/31/2017
    First of all, Penny is amazing. She was my assigned wedding coordinator and I couldn’t be more grateful. .I absolutely adore this woman and cannot say enough wonderful things about her.

Aside from Penny, working with Barb and Dave was fantastic. They’re such fun and kind hearted people. Dave was there the day of my wedding making sure everything was perfect. When planning a wedding ( and being a perfectionist) it’s so great to work with other perfectionists and that is exactly what Dave is. He made me feel so confident in his staff, the venue, and even a little better about the outside temperature (NEGATIVE 26 that night). He even made sure the outside fire pit was lit. It was a beautiful touch that was appreciated by many!

Six months later people are still talking to me about the food! The butternut squash raviolis are heaven! And the cauliflower gratin was my favorite. My dad, foods biggest critic loved the prime rib station! Just wait until your food tasting! It’s soooooo much fun! Go hungry because you certainly will leave with a full and happy stomach. The food was warm, delicious, and just beautifully prepared. The bartenders were so happy and just funny! All of the staff went above and beyond for us. I couldn’t have asked for anything more.

Our guests had a blast. And the champagne fountain was the icing on the cake!

Speaking of cake…. Makenzie, the pastry chef is just wonderful. We were able to customize our cake and cupcake flavors. Go to her with an idea, she’ll make it a reality.

I totally understand how big of a decision this is… I recommend Dave and his incredible staff Dibbles/The Cannery with my whole heart. This was the best day of my life and it wouldn’t have been possible without each and every one of them.
    Emily Married on 12/09/2017
    We were sold on the vision at Cannery even before it was completed! It was the perfect rustic venue for our winter wedding. Being able to get dressed in the salon, walk right down to the chapel, and then walk directly into the cocktail hour made our wedding day stress free! Holly, our coordinator executed our vision for decor perfectly, adding touches we didn't even know that we needed! She was always responsive, and made the whole weekend go flawlessly! It was like she could read our minds. The food was DELICIOUS, the venue was gorgeous, and the staff was amazing! Thank you again and again!
    Emily Nielsen & Jarett Stuart
    December 9, 2017
    Becky Married on 11/25/2017
    Dave was able to sell us on his vision for the Cannery before it was even close to being done! Everything he promised was delivered, from the shuttle services, to the admission to Lava at the Turning Stone, to the vendors within our budget! Holly was the BEST wedding coordinator we could have asked for! She knew exactly what we wanted, and executed our vision perfectly...something I as the bride was with OCD was a bit worried about! It was like she could read my mind. The additional touches she added were perfect as well. The wedding rehearsal, ceremony, and reception went flawlessly, and she had us completely at ease the entire time! Being able to just show up and pick up our belongings a few days later left us able to relax and enjoy our first day as newlyweds. I cannot say enough about how FABULOUS she is!
    Nicole Married on 11/11/2017
    The Cannery helped all of our dreams come true this past weekend! The food was delicious and the staff was wonderful! Thank you so much!!! Everything was perfect!
    Rachel Married on 11/05/2017
    We had the most perfect day thanks to the staff at The Cannery! Heard nothing but great things from the venue, to the dinner, the dj, dessert, late night pizza and the shuttle! Renee was so flexible and attentive to our vision! Highly highly recommend this place for any wedding!
    Laura Married on 09/18/2017
    Absolutely fabulous venue! Holly and the rest of the Cannery staff did a fabulous job. Everything was spectacular! I highly recommend this new and stunning venue. From the beautiful fenced in grounds, walkways, fire pit, outside courtyard for ceremony and then mingling after, to the chapel being right there in case of rain.. The huge bridal salon to have hair and makeup done on site with mimosas was such an added bonus! Their wedding packages take the stress out of booking many different features, as they will do it all! I can't say enough about this "all inclusive" wedding venue!
    Laura Married on 09/16/2017
    Kristen Married on 07/29/2017
    We had our wedding here on Saturday and it was beyond perfect! The venue is absolutely stunning, we had exceptional service and the food was delicious! Everyone is still raving how unique and beautiful it was. They keep stating it was one of the best weddings they have ever been too! We want to give a HUGE thank you to Joanne, Barb & Dave for helping us plan the best day of our lives. Everything was absolutely on point! Anything we needed you did, no questions asked! Thank you so incredibly much! We absolutely recommend this venue for your wedding day!!
    Nikita Married on 07/22/2017
    We can't even begin to express both my love and gratitude for all of the Cannery staff! Dave, the owner, thank you for making this possible. Holly, our wedding coordinator, you were so sweet and helpful, thank you so much for making our day even better than we could have ever imagined! The cannery is the most gorgeous venue! I had compliments all night from friends and family, saying it was the most beautiful wedding they have ever been to! The food was awesome as well! Everything was perfect, highly recommended!!! ���
    Ashleigh Married on 07/15/2017
    We were married at The Cannery on July 15, 2017 and had our reception there as well!! The only way to describe the day is magical! Everything was perfect from start to finish. The venue is beautiful inside and out, the food was fantastic, and the servers were phenomenal. Our wedding coordinator, Joanne, was so calm and collected the entire evening. She helped to settle our nerves and made sure that everything ran smoothly. Dave, the owner, was involved from Day 1 and made sure that all of our requests were met. We did not hear one complaint from our guests and they are still talking about their wonderful experience!! Thank you so much for making our day so special!
    Ashleigh Married on 07/15/2017
    Everything was perfect!! Our venue was actually The Cannery and we did not stop hearing compliments all night! From the food and service to the incredible decor both inside and outside. Joanne, our wedding coordinator, was so calm and collected all evening that it put both of us at ease. Words can not describe how over-the-moon ecstatic we were with our special day. Thank you!!
    Jen Married on 07/08/2017
    This venue is unique and absolutely gorgeous. My guest did not stop raving about it. The staff was polite and accommodating. The food was amazing and well presented! (Yes, seafood boil!)
    Kait Married on 06/30/2017
    I cant thank you enough for your help with planning our beautiful wedding reception. (especially from Chicago). It was truly amazing and great to see how it came together! We had so much fun celebrating and wish it could have lasted longer! Please thank the chef , pastry chef, and all the other staff for their service!
    Sue Married on 06/17/2017
    We were excited to be invited to the soft opening of The Cannery by Maria MaCrina and we were not disappointed. Your new venue is beautiful and well planned out. The mixture of old and new is pleasing to the eye and no detail was overlooked. The food was excellent; the staff considerate and well trained. The chapel is charming and he terrace complete with a fire pit inviting. We had a lovely evening and have spread the word!
  • Aileen
    Aileen Married on 10/13/2018

very happy with our day

The Cannery was a beautiful venue for our wedding day. I was nervous as our wedding date approached because I am a planner and wanted all details set far in advance, and we did not hear from the venue until about just over a month out, but Holly, our coordinator was amazing. She had every detail down and made sure everything was perfect for our day. The value of everything included in the package we picks was amazing and made planning leading up to the wedding so stress free. Our guests raved about the food, and we wish we had eaten more because it was so good (we were just so busy having a great time)!
    Natalie Married on 07/28/2018
    We loved every second of our wedding. From the atmosphere to the execution everything was amazing. I love the packaging that The Cannery has- it was the main reason we went with this venue. There is no guess work about extra fees, everything is presented to you as a price per person. I loved how the cake was included (and Mackenzie is a great pastry chef!), the late night pizza and the open bar along with the meal. It made everything so much easier knowing this. The bridal suite is a thing of Pinterest dreams and I loved getting ready in that space for hours before the wedding, it put me in such a calm and happy mood. I received so many compliments on The Cannery as a venue and how beautiful it is from the chapel, to the inside reception room to the outside fire pit. I would recommend this place to anyone.
    Kristen Married on 11/02/2019

Wedding Day was Amazing, Rehearsal Dinner Not So Much

I will start out by saying our wedding day was absolutely perfect at The Cannery! The ceremony, cocktail hour, and dinner all ran very smooth. Our guests loved the food! I do wish we had a plate set aside for us to take home at the end of the night, but that was not expected. BUT, that is how delicious the food was! We purchased the shuttle at the end of the night - highly recommend as it is a great value! Dave was kind enough to add an additional stop to the schedule as we had a room block at a local hotel where many of our guests were staying. We were also given our top tier cake at the end of the night along with some leftover cupcakes - delicious! Since my husband and I live in NC, it was very important for us to find a venue that was all-inclusive and provided the flexibility we needed. The Cannery did just that! One piece of advice for couples looking at this venue: make sure you know the questions to ask! There were details that were not provided to me up front and we wouldn't have gotten what we wanted out of our wedding day unless we asked.

Now for the not so great part of our wedding weekend. We booked the Rehearsal Dinner with Dave as we were offered an incentive and cost savings to book with the venue. We were told our Rehearsal Dinner would be at The Mason Jar, but this was not the case. Disappointing but understandable, as it is now a delicious restaurant! But, the opening night of that restaurant was the same night as our Rehearsal Dinner. Unfortunately, our wedding coordinator and Rehearsal Dinner Event Planner (both of them were fantastic!) were both pulled from our event to work opening night at The Mason Jar. I find this very disrespectful and unprofessional to a client that booked an event months in advance. I understand opening a new business, but your clients that book months in advance and trust you to make their day absolutely perfect are just as important! Because of this issue, the Rehearsal Dinner was nothing short of disappointing. Our entire wedding party was on time for the Rehearsal and nobody was at the venue space. My husband and I had to search for help and unfortunately, it appeared the venue was short-staffed that evening. We also had an issue with seating for the Rehearsal Dinner. I would honestly recommend having a seating chart for this event as my husband and I didn't even have a pair of seats to sit next to each other. The food was also a bit disappointing for the Rehearsal Dinner - the salad we selected was not ready and it appeared the staff just poured a bag of lettuce in a bowl when I inquired about it. I spent most of that evening very frustrated and upset. I truly believe the night would have run much smoother if the people who actually planned our event were allowed to be there.
    Marissa Married on 07/21/2018

Disappointed

Unfortunately, our wedding day did not run smoothly. We did reach out to the venue and to this day have not heard back from Dave, the owner we met with when we booked our event. The Cannery is one of their several venues, unfortunately not everyone working for them is experienced. The planner assigned to us dropped the ball countless times. She left my husband waiting for her for hours the day before our event and despite the notes that she took, failed to deliver on any of her promises. She was not professional and showed up to our event in flip flops. Despite being provided with pictures, she misplaced items/ decorations and left empty beer cases scattered on the patio throughout our happy hour. The men's bathroom was still dirty/ the toilet was clogged from the night before. The menu cards were not on the tables, the complete menu we selected was not served to our guests, and several of our guests stated the food was cold. The champagne toast was poured hours before our event and was flat. When it came time for the signature drink, roughly 30 drinks were brought out to serve our 200 guests. Despite being told there would be plenty of parking, once the small lot located behind the venue was filled- our guests were told they could only park at the gas station across the street (this included our handicapped guests). To top it off, our open bar was closed an hour before the agreed upon time. All of these things could have been easily remedied (OR AVOIDED) if the planner was on site; however, anytime we need to speak to her, we had to wait for her to return to the venue. At the end of the night, the bridal party went outside to catch the shuttle (that we paid extra for). The shuttle was not there and we spent over an hour waiting for it. The planner was aware of this and had no explanation; we were left to wait outside. The venue is beautiful, but the service if far from impressive.
    Natalie Married on 10/08/2021

Terrible DJ “Deaf Jeff”, staff are before guests and food ran out and wasn’t replaced

Overall, we had a good day for our wedding. A ball was dropped multiple times as things that were mentioned and schedule did not occur. We feel lied to. Dave runs this as a strict business and makes you feel bad for having any input in for your day that would change his plans. Multiple things we noticed as follows:
    1. Dave is very hard to get in touch with. You have to call his answering service that has to get your information and he will call back. This took days to get a call back after continued calling stating we did not get an answer.
    2. Dave already has a timeline set up that includes a 2 hour cocktail hour. When we stated we did not want that long of a cocktail hour, he was okay with it but at the final meeting the schedule was never changed. This is after I sent the invitation out to my guests with a specific start time.
    3. We were told Danielle the coordinator was very rude to multiple guests. She was pleasant with us.
    4. The bridal suite was suppose to be stocked with champagne and orange juice and we were supposed to be served lunch, this was all included in an extra price we paid. The suite had 2 bottles of champagne which ran out after less than 2 hours. After asking and no response, I went down to the bar and asked for an extra bottle, which they gave me but said not to do that again. As for the sandwiches, a antipasto wrap came up with 12 slices. I told my bridesmaids not to bring food as I was told all food would be set up for us. It was not and some of the bridesmaids went to the gas station next door to eat.
    5. I have heard negative reviews about the DJ “Deaf Jeff” prior so had requested at the final meeting not to have him. Danielle made me feel like a terrible person and took it very personal. They ignored my request and he was the DJ anyway. The DJ was good however he is deaf so we heard many many times throughout the night that no one was able to understand what he was saying during our entrances and announcements. No one knew we were cutting our cake because not many understood what he was announcing.
    6. The staff are our food package before the guests. Our last 3 tables didn’t get any of a certain hot food item because it was never replaced. We were also told by last 8 tables the food was cold. Some items were not even displayed that were paid for.
    Would highly recommend not doing business here and take your money elsewhere that people actually care about what you want.
    Jennifer R. Married on 05/30/2020

Owner is a thief

He owes my friend $13,000 after she was unable to have her wedding due to COVID. In an already difficult situation that was supposed to be one of the happiest days of her life, he refused to give her money back and said he’d claim bankruptcy before doing so. Would not recommend this place!
  • Kristen
    Kristen B. Married on 05/30/2020

Robbery - do not do business here

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH DAVE STIRPE OR PREMIER WEDDING VENUES IN VERNON, NY! They owe us $13,600.00 for a wedding deposit for a 5/30/20 wedding that could not take place because NYS was shut down due to COVID-19. Dave and his attorney say they will file bankruptcy before they give us our money back. This is abhorrent. They are still having weddings, have a half dozen venues, and are remodeling a new building with their bakery. He just wants to steal the money with no services provided. This is not the person or the the business that you want to entrust one of the most important days of your life with nor your hard earned money. Tell your friends, tell your family, and tell them to tell theirs. His Facebook name is David Stirpe.

Their venues include:
    The Cannery #thecanneryatoneward
    Dibbles Inn #dibblesinn
    The Gatsby #thegatsbyvenue
    The Silver Theater #thesilvertheatre
    The Apple Orchard Lodge #appleorchardlodge
    The Mason Jar #vernonmasonjar
    The Empire Room #theempireroomvenue
    The Bakehouse- they are currently remodeling this in a new space so obviously they are not bankrupt, just thieves. #thebakehouseatdibblesinn