The Butter End Cakery Reviews

The Butter End Cakery 2
The Butter End Cakery 3

Anthony · Married on 04/18/2019

Amazing dream wedding cake

The butter end did an amazing job with my wedding cake, she was able to make our vision come to life. My wedding was in the ocean and we wanted to incorporate the blur of the ocean to our cake. Very professional, responsive and overalls great experience

Sent on 07/25/2019
    The Butter End Cakery 4
  • Giovanni

Giovanni Gomez-Fraga · Married on 03/31/2019

Deeeeeelicous cake

Great cake vendor , they have a beautiful studio in gardenia . So many great flavor options . We went with the carrot cake and the banana chocolate chip . Supper friendly and flexible service . On top of it from the start . The overall cake was Beyond Beautiful. They even rented us the base cake . They offer sheets of your cake depending on the amount of guest you have .
    Thank you for such great service make sure you know your hiring with confidence if you go with the butter end . I am one happy client

Sent on 04/07/2019
    The Butter End Cakery 5
    The Butter End Cakery 6

Noelle · Married on 07/30/2017

The Butter End made the cake for my wedding which took place on Sunday, July 30. I had a certain vision as well as colors for my wedding. Kimberly exceeded my expectations with the perfect flower "watercolor" cake with a second layer in gold and a third in white. It was especially beautiful decorated with fresh flowers (see photos) as well as delicious. I highly recommend the Butter End for your special event.

Sent on 08/02/2017

Allyson · Married on 07/29/2017

From the moment we sat down with Kimberly for a cake tasting for our wedding, we had a great connection. She was incredibly friendly and open and excited to work with us. She even captured the attention of our 10 yr old, sharing her drawing utensils and including her in every step of the process. The cakes all tasted AMAZING so it was really hard to pick what we wanted to go with from a flavor perspective. Ultimately we settled on Chocolate Almond Cherry along with the Almond for the cake and then we supplemented with mini-cupcakes in a bunch of flavors.

Everyone RAVED about the cake and the cupcakes. The father of the groom even declared it was the best cake he ever had, and he is not prone to hyperbole, not to mention incredibly hard to please.

One big reason we went with this bakery, is the incredible hand-made custom designs that are available. Kimberly made us the most beautiful sugar flowers creating a simple, but elegant wedding cake. Once we chose to go with Butter End Cakery, our expectations were sky high. In the end, they surpassed them in every way.

Sent on 08/28/2017

The Butter End Cakery's reply:

You're making me tear up, Allyson! ;)
    I'm so happy that you enjoyed every part of your experience. I still have your daughter's sketches.
    Congratulations on your wedding....and thank you so much for sharing your thoughts in this review!!

Lisa · Married on 04/22/2017

Kimberly & her team are awesome. The cake she created was not only gorgeous but absolutely scrumptious! She also made a small gluten-free version for our guests with dietary restrictions. It was easy to work with her/team. The tasting process was fun. I would highly recommend her for a wedding or any special event.

Sent on 05/10/2017

natali · Married on 12/03/2016

Sarah and Kimberly are two of the most of amazing designers and cake sculpturers ever! They recreated the millennium falcon cake for my groom. It was epic! The cake looked so real my husband thought it was just a model. When he realized it was his cake, his jaw dropped. Great job and definitely bravo ladies! Our guest fell in love with the design as well as how moist and and tasty the cake was. Cake tasting was wonderful and wishing them only the best in the near future. My hat is off for you gals. Applause to your amazing creations!

Sent on 12/30/2016

The Butter End Cakery's reply:

I'm so thrilled that the millennium falcon was a hit! Its one of my favorite sculpted cakes to create! Wishing you and your hubby every happiness!

Samantha · Married on 10/22/2016

I wanted a naked cake for our wedding - not to be trendy, but because I actually don't like frosting. But I wanted the cake to still be fun and unique. I met with numerous cake places that told me this was not possible. Upon meeting with The Butter End (thanks to a recommendation), they listened to what I wanted and said it could be done with ease! They also gave me some ideas of things that I could do to have my perfect wedding cake and they were spot on! I ended up with a topsy-turvy naked wedding cake that was not only stunning, but was everything that I wanted - it was classic yet cheeky. They also worked effortlessly with my florist in putting the final details on my cake. Honestly, after meeting with them, I breathed a sigh of relief and when I saw the masterpiece at our wedding, I couldn't have been happier! Thank you to The Butter End team!

Sent on 11/16/2016

Melissa · Married on 06/18/2016

Our wedding cake from The Butter End was absolutely breathtaking, and so yummy! It was just perfect for our summer wedding at the Malibu West Beach Club. We had went to several bakeries prior to inquiring with them, and none were even close in comparison to the quality and taste we experienced at the Butter End. Not only do their cakes taste fantastic, but their details, art, and designs are filled with talent. We worked with Kimberly and Sara on designing our perfect cake, and were absolutely amazed with the look and taste of it on our wedding day. Thank you for making our day so special, and we will definitely be coming back for future events!

Sent on 07/13/2016

Shana · Married on 06/18/2016

I can't say enough good things about Kimberly and her amazing cakes! First of all, the whole team at The Butter End is extremely accommodating and helpful, and they're up to every challenge. We chose to set up a tasting with The Butter End after reading about their signature flavor - chocolate almond cherry. It certainly didn't disappoint!! The cakes are so much more than your typical sponge wedding cake.... They are layered with rich flavors and creamy textures and the designs!?!? Over the top!!!!!! Our cake was a 6-tier masterpiece that I insisted upon "hanging" from a juliet balcony. It had a cascading pattern that resembled the beadwork on my dress, accented by 3 tiers of fresh flowers. Guests were WOWed by the cake instantly and once it was cut, they couldn't get enough!! Kimberly is a master at her craft and well worth every penny!

Sent on 08/19/2016

Chiara · Married on 10/10/2015

"Dry cake is dumb." Kimberly's motto is basically what she preaches when she makes her cakes. Loved our three-tier wedding cake from The Butter End. One of my bridesmaids and I did our cake tasting and Kimberly was there to help us narrow down the flavors and essentially draft the look of the cake. I was looking for cake makers that do hand-painted wedding cakes well and our wedding coordinator recommended The Butter End. Needless to say, she did not steer us in the wrong direction! Kimberly effortlessly drew our cake and ensured that the design fit our budget. After the tasting, I left my then fiance know about how awesome The Butter End was. Since he couldn't make it to the tasting, Sarah of The Butter End happily prepared tasting boxes for me to pick up the following week. Fiance approved, we signed the contract, and our guests were raving about the cake. Success all around!

Sent on 01/20/2016

Tracey · Married on 09/19/2015

We had The Butter End create a 2 flavored vegan cake for our wedding in September and they did a fabulous job. The cake tasting was one of the first wedding "to-dos" that my husband and I did and it was so fun! We tasted 2 flavors and ended up going with vanilla and banana for our cake, which may sound a little odd but it was amazing! We have a french bulldog who is our baby so we selected to have him on our cake and it turned out adorable. Everyone, especially pet lovers were commenting on how much they loved that little detail. Because we were having an outdoor wedding in hot heat, a couple weeks before the wedding we were recommended to have part of the interior of our cake faux so that the layers would not melt into each other. I was unsure about this at first, but you could not tell on bit on the day of and there was still plenty of cake that was real as well as sheet cake ready to serve. The only bummer was that they only ended up serving our vanilla cake, not banana, but that was the caterer's doing not The Butter End. We also wanted to save our dog but he got thrown away unfortunately. Luckily we have great photos of our cake to look back only. We only had one miscommunication with The Butter End about our anniversary cake, but they rectified it somewhat with saving a top for us to freeze till our 1 year. Overall they were great to work with, and the cake is amazing!

Sent on 10/11/2015

Adrienne · Married on 09/13/2014

We had the BEST WEDDING CAKE and grooms cake ever from The Butter End at our wedding. Our guests still are talking about it and our wedding was 9/13/14. The cake tastes out of this world because they only use fresh and wonderful ingredients. This shows in their finished product, no gritty or sugary frosting here. Just pure awesomeness.! We met with them and had a tasting that was just fabulous. We had tasted their cakes at a baby shower and knew we wanted to try their wedding cake favors but the tasting still blew our minds. So yummy! The Butter End cake tasting is like no other because their cake is like no other. You will know in one bite that they are your choice. Not only is the taste out of this world but they can do anything you want for design. They are so talented, creative, flexible, positive, and helpful which is everything you want when it comes to your wedding cake. Our wedding cake was so gorgeous with tons of fresh flowers and intricate detail on each layer, even though we ordered it, seeing it live on our wedding day was so amazing, it looked better than we ever dreamed of. I also added a fun grooms cake after our initial order that was Dodger themed for my husband and they asked for some of my ideas, created their own ideas of what would look good and gave my husband the most perfect and delicious grooms cake that we both loved so much. No matter what go for a tasting as soon as you can and you will have found your bakery for your perfect day. Look no further, The Butter End is the best!!!!!!!!!!

Sent on 10/11/2014

Cesilie · Married on 06/07/2014

The gals at The Butter End are just wonderful!! Three weeks before my wedding I was forced to find a new cake vendor! Being from out of town I was completely unfamiliar with my options, but my wedding coordinator recommended I call Kim, and I am so glad I did! If you visit her website you will without a doubt be blown away by the talent showcased. Once you talk to her or the other gals on the phone you can hear their enthusiasm, and it is evident they love what they do, and they’re so good at it! I traveled down to Santa Monica to pick up a few cake tasting boxes, and fell in love even more with their talent and friendliness. The day of the wedding, the cake was a stunning focal point in the Rotunda at Bacara Resort in Santa Barbara, and my guests raved about the delicious and not so typical wedding cake they were enjoying! The bakery has a fun saying, “Dry cake is dumb”… You just won’t get it until you have tried their cake! I can’t wait to use Kim and her team again in the future for any other event possible. I now follow them on Instagram and love seeing all their original and great creations!! I recommend The Butter End without reservation!

Sent on 10/30/2014

melissa · Married on 06/06/2014

Although our wedding was in San Diego, we used the Butter End Cakery for our wedding cake- and it was definitely WORTH IT! We tried a few bakeries in San Diego and Encinitas and although they were good- they were just regular cakes. For our wedding, we had a hawaiian/tiki theme so we wanted something that stood out rather than your typical white cake and white frosting. Well we definitely got that- and then some! Among the long list of other flavors we could have picked we went with the coconut cake with passion fruit buttercream for our main cake and then the chocolate bourbon coconut cake with bourbon ganache. Saying they were a "hit" would be a total understatement! The flavors were memorable without being overpowering and the cake was so rich and moist! I would definitely recommend this cakery for anyone looking for QUALITY cakes that people will absolutely remember!!

Sent on 06/11/2014
  • User4208707 · 2+ years ago

Butter End Cakery was the first cake tasting we went to.
    And it ruined all other cake tastings, because we kept comparing them to The Butter End.

We had never tasted such moist, dense, flavorful, subtle sweetness in wedding cakes and were blown away.

We received so many compliments on the cake - definitely one of the best wedding cakes we've ever tasted as well!

We also liked that organic and natural ingredients are used.

Definitely high quality cakes and very good customer service.
    Never had to wait a full day for a response!

Sent on 06/28/2014

Mark · Married on 11/02/2013

If you like cake, and you don't go to the Butter End Cakery, you don't like cake enough. Simply the best wedding cake (or any other cake), I've ever had.

Sent on 07/04/2014

The Butter End Cakery's reply:

I love that you are still thinking about how much you enjoyed your cake 9 months after the wedding to write this review! ! Thank you so much for sharing!!!!

Brandon · Married on 08/17/2013

I loved everything about our experience with Butter End. First of all, the cake was amazing. The best of any of the bakeries we tried. They were also personable, responsive and easy to deal with.

The Butter End was more expensive than the other bakeries we met with, but we suspected that the extra expense was worth it. We were right. I can't recommend these guys highly enough.

Sent on 09/06/2013

Kelly · Married on 08/03/2013

The Butter End designed and created our cake for our Aug 2013 wedding at the SLS Hotel in Beverly Hills. When we selected the SLS we actually didn't immediately realize that the hotel had a working relationship with The Butter End and were very pleasantly surprised. The only thing we knew about them was what we read on their site (no fondant, yay!) prior to meeting Kimberly and her staff for the cake tasting. Even though we didn't have expectations, if we did, they would have been blown away.

Kimberly gave us a huge selection of cakes to choose from (every person that showed up got their own tasting portions, and each slice was different in aroma and taste (rich, light, decadent, fruity). We knew we had to have the Signature Cake, however! Our other choice (we were allowed two) was Coconut Passion Fruit. They even boxed up our leftovers which we were able to further share with our friends and family.

At that point, the actual design of the cake however was still an unknown. Kimberly has many examples and photos of their work on display but it wasn't until she showed us her experimental designs in architectural cakes that we knew what we wanted. She had commented that so far, she'd had clients that were impressed with her design but that no one had been willing to make the leap to make it their traditional wedding cake. Well, we'll just let these photos speak for themselves:

Base design: http://tinyurl.com/krpp56c
    Ours, executed: http://tinyurl.com/kttk7mp

Simply put, it was amazing and made for outstanding photos. The cake they made for us fit in perfectly with the venue and our vision/mood for the wedding and was as delicious as it was when we had our tasting. Some of our guests commented to us that they had no idea that it was our cake and it could have been an art or furniture installation of some sort -- we regard this as high praise! We highly recommend Kimberly and her team to design and create your cake for your event.

Sent on 10/02/2013

The most beautiful cake I have ever seen!! Made my special day that much better!!

Sent on 08/28/2013

They do not have a large selection of cakes but they do have the classics, which is what we were looking for. We didn't think it was worth paying for something so fancy or decadent. We just wanted a simple but high quality cake (e.g. moist, dense, and flavorful). We ordered the vanilla bean and banana cake, and both turned out very well and were a hit with our guests.

In terms of designs, we wanted something simple but we did see their displays of more decorative and creative cakes, so they do have the abilities to do anything you can dream.

Sent on 11/19/2012
  • User2201984 · 2+ years ago

We found The Butter End through our reception venue, Beverly Wilshire. YUM YUM YUM!!! Kimberly was so warm and a pleasure to work with. We visited her in Santa Monica for a great tasting. She even let us take the leftovers home in a doggy bag - I swear they were still moist a week later. I wanted Kimberly to mimic the design on the skirt of my wedding dress, so I sent her a picture and crossed my fingers it would turn out. WOWWWW!!! It was better than I even imagined. She hit it right on the nail, and the cake, like at the tasting, was phenomenal. I am counting down the days until we can eat the frozen top tier. :)

Sent on 09/16/2012
  • Jake

Jake · Married on 07/30/2011

Amazing work!!! Our guests were blown away with our dragon cake. They are still talking about it. Kimberly and her staff ware so wonderful. Would definitely recommend them for sure!

Sent on 10/18/2011

Dorian · Married on 06/11/2011

The Butter End Cakery rocks. Kimberly and Rainbow are dedicated, professional artists who also are just super cool people.

We found out about Butter End from our venue. There had been a wedding at our venue and Butter End did the cake. It was a big secret at the time because it was going to be on a television show highlighting fabulous cakes. I made a note to check out the show, watched it and instinctively knew that Butter End was the only choice for our cake. She didn't use fondant, but instead uses rolled chocolate, one of her specialties was carrot cake (my husband's favorite) and she does amazing work! I emailed Kimberly to ask her if she could bring our crazy idea to life. She called me almost immediately after she got the email because she couldn't wait to get back to her computer to email me.

That was the beginning of a beautiful relationship! Kimberly crafted an amazing Millennium Falcon cake that was based on a model my husband loaned to her. He's a huge Star Wars fan and I let him make all decisions regarding the cake. Kimberly listened carefully to him and took all of his notes into consideration during the consultation. She asked plenty of clarifying questions and made excellent suggestions in order to make sure we got exactly what we wanted. She was also extremely prepared for our meeting. She does her research and is very thorough.

We got something that was beyond our wildest dreams: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22487383@N04/5827092704/ The attention to detail was unbelievable. Some people didn't even realize it was a cake. And it tasted amazing!!!! That rolled chocolate was unbelievable. The cake was moist, the frosting was perfect. The "sand" under the cake was edible and tasted great! It was hard (emotionally!) to cut that cake, but the payoff was absolutely worth it.

Kimberly and Rainbow are absolutely delightful people who are dedicated to their work. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone and would definitely work with them again. In fact - I am ordering another cake from The Butter End this week for my husband's birthday!

Sent on 08/04/2011

Julia · Married on 11/13/2010

Kimberly was so wonderful to work with! She brought the most DELICIOUS vegan cake samples - I was so impressed, as making a vegan cake is a tall order. Of course we went with her for our wedding cake, which was equally delicious. Our guests loved it. Beyond tasting great, the cake was the MOST BEAUTIFUL wedding cake I have ever seen, and it totally matched our personalities, wedding theme, and invitations. She is a creative genius. I wish I could add a picture here so you could see our cake!! I cannot recommend The Butter End Cakery highly enough. Just hire Kimberly and you won't have to worry about a thing, because she is awesome.

Sent on 06/10/2011

Angie · Married on 10/16/2010

My experience with The Butter End Cakery was by far the best vendor I worked with during the wedding planning. Kimberly was so nice, so helpful, and gave me a great price for the cake. The cake itself was UNBELIEVABLY delicious!! I encourage any couple out there to give The Butter End a call. You will NOT be disappointed!

Sent on 06/15/2011