SugarBakers Cakes Reviews

863 SugarBakers Cakes Reviews

Becky · Married on 06/13/2010

1.5
      1.5

We used Sugarbakers for our wedding cake because they were included in our venue’s contract. While we were impressed by the taste of the cake when we did our tasting, we found the company difficult to work with. Since we were not their direct client, they refused to talk to us unless we paid $50, which made it difficult to convey what exactly we wanted in terms of decoration. We called repeatedly in the weeks leading up to the wedding and did not get a call back. When we finally did get a chance to speak to them, they said they NEVER draw the cakes before they make them, so there was no way to know what it would look like before our wedding. All Sugarbakers does is copy their cakes from photographs... so we were forced to copy someone else’s cake and not able to change it in any way as we had hoped. Even when we asked them to base it roughly off a picture and change some of the details, they only copied the picture directly. They also wanted to charge an extra $50 at the last minute to add a few fresh flowers to each layer. Luckily our florist was cheaper and more than accommodating to the last minute addition. Unless you want a copied cake with no personalization, we do not recommend going with Sugarbakers.

1.6
      1.0

While the cake was delicious, and got great reviews, we did have to sacrifice a rude experience. After reserving a time for tasting (giving our credit card to be charged in case we did not show) - when we got to the tasting, they had no record of our appt, and had no record of the numerous conversations that we had with another employee regarding our wedding plans. We were interested in having a 'dessert buffet' instead of a large wedding cake. They could not comprehend this at our appointment and ended up being extremely rude as if we were wasting their time. After my husband and I both drove over an hour to make the appt after work. I was appalled by their customer service and professionalism. We ended up ordering several smaller cakes (several meaning 10) because they are only one of a few in the area making the Smith Island Cake. They were delicious and well received.... but still the company left a bitter taste in our mouths. I would only hope that others choosing them for their cake receive better service.

1.2
      0.5

I am INTENSELY DISAPPOINTED with this company.
    Not only were we pressured into signing a contract IMMEDIATELY, they messed up my cake!! It seemed like a good deal, sign immediately and get 20% off and a free small cake, along with a free anniversary cake, but I'm not so sure anymore.
    The adviser who met with us was not very helpful in designing our cake - we didn't have any ideas as to what we wanted, but knew something simple and elegant was more our style. On paper, we decided on a 3 tier cake with a simple gold monogram on the middle tier, and red ribbon that we would provide around the top and bottom tiers.
    Amidst all the last minute planning, I forgot about delivering the ribbon to them, as well as the last payment. They were very kind on the phone about the payment and I managed to get my wedding coordinator the ribbon so she could take it to them ASAP. I would have preferred a reminder about those details before the last week!
    So how did they mess up my cake? The monogram was a garish curly font, nothing like what we had pointed out to the adviser, and even worse, it was WRONG. The letters were correct, but the wrong letter was in the center. Thankfully none of my guests noticed day of, but we have all the pictures now, and it's embarrassing.
    In the end, the cake itself tasted delicious.

Sent on 12/13/2014

SugarBakers Cakes's reply:

SugarBakers Cakes strives to provide exceptional customer service and the wedding cake of your dreams. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience that was caused. We are sorry you had a negative experience. We thank you for taking the time to share your story with us. We are a service oriented company and will be meeting with our staff to provide better service to our customers. We hope you will allow SugarBakers Cakes to be apart of your special occasions in the future. SugarBakers Cakes Customer Service

Lakia · Married on 09/16/2018

1.2
      2.0

Let me start off by saying Sugar Bakers have great, moist cake. However, as a consumer, their customer service is not great. I went to my cake tasting visit the first week of March 2018. I provided a picture of how I wanted my cake to be. Not the person who we were working with, but another employee intervened into our conversation to try to persuade me to not get what I wanted. In addition, I was told that the bottom layer can only be a tall cake because of the design. However, I informed Sugar Bakers employee that I did not want a tall bottom layer and it could be made regular (which I emailed pictures after my appointment to prove this to be true). I believe they wanted me to do the tall layer to pay more. On top of that, I was quoted $12 a slice and asked to put a 50% deposit down, which I did. Well the employee came back and stated that she missed priced me after swiping my bank card, that the price of the cake would be $17 per slice and not the $12 a slice. So once questioned about what changed from the time she left the table until swiping my card. The employee stated that the decorator was not in to quote me a price. I then asked how was I quoted a price initially if the decorator would need to see. Sugar Bakers immediately refunded me my deposit of over $500 and informed me they will show the decorator my picture and then get back to me. Well we are almost 3 weeks away from my initial appointment and I have yet to hear from Sugar Bakers to follow-up with me regarding a price. I did call asking to speak with the employee who I worked with and was told was not in and they will give her my message. I am upset because I love their cakes, but this is really a bad experience for a bride to be.

Ashley · Married on 10/26/2013

0.6
      0.0

If you like whipped icing this is the place to go but we are cream cheese icing family so not impressed. they did a nice job on my husband's grooms cake but didnt have a chocie but to use this vendor with hotel promo. the size of slices they send over for food tasting is horrible. not enought for the couple to get true flavor when you spend all that money!!! Go with Cakes Plus and you will be SO happy

Sent on 11/07/2013

SugarBakers Cakes's reply:

Hi Ashley, we do apologize you weren't happy with your tasting, but we do not do cream cheese icing for wedding cakes as it will not hold up whatsoever. Best wishes in the future.
  • Jennifer

Jennifer · Married on 05/17/2014

0.0

We set an appointment for a tasting several weeks in advance. The week of the tasting Sugarbakers changed the appointment time back and forth between 3pm and 2pm FIVE times. This in itself was mildly annoying because every switch had to be cleared with the family members that were to accompany us.

When we arrived at 2pm the day of (the last change had been requested that morning), we were greeted and told to help ourselves to some coffee while they finished up with their previous appointments (as an aside, they were out of coffee). We sat and waited for 20 minutes during which time no one spoke another word to us. No one poked their head around the corner to reassure us that they would be finished soon... no one apologized for the wait. Nothing.

From the bits of the conversation we could hear from the ongoing appointments it did not sound as if they were wrapping up... it sounded as if they had scheduled too many appointments starting at 2pm. Some of us had taken off work to be at this appointment, and they couldn't even be bothered to apologize for the wait. Eventually we decided we didn't want to risk dealing with a company this disorganized for such an expensive and important day... and we walked out. We never even received a phone call to apologize for the scheduling mix up.

Maybe 99% of the time Sugarbakers are great. It certainly smelled nice in the shop. But after they wasted my Saturday afternoon without so much as an apology, I certainly would recommend looking elsewhere.

Sent on 12/02/2013

SugarBakers Cakes's reply:

I do sincerely apologize for your experience this past Saturday. I (Jordan) was supposed to be meeting with you and was actually sent into Labor and Delivery for monitoring in the hospital. We were in the middle of training a new consultant, who had yet to sit alone with anyone. She had to take my place and be thrown into the fire. I really am so incredibly sorry to have ruined your plans, and I really would like you to come back again. Krissy did try her best and hopefully apologized, as well as Jamie- the owner who was in an appointment at the same time. The mis-communication with the scheduling was tough since your fiance did not have a voicemail. Knowing that you are a local business owner, we would hope you could understand. Hope to hear from you soon, Crystal.

Bill · Married on 05/17/2014

0.0

Let me preface this by saying that I am sure my experience is not the norm with SugarBakers; they have been recommended by more than one person that I know. I am also relatively sure that my experience with them was an isolated incident.

My fiance left a review describing our experience with SugarBakers - I will summarize: We had an appointment scheduled for 2pm this past Saturday. The week leading up to that date (and even on the day of), they called me to reschedule for 3pm instead of 2pm. And then back to 2pm. And then to 3pm again. And finally, back to 2pm. This in and of itself is not a big deal... what is irritating is that when we arrived at the (final) appointed time, no one was prepared for us. I realize that these things happen - we are not unreasonable. We patiently waited for 20 minutes. No one said a word. We left. They never called us - for DAYS. Then when my fiance left a negative review here on Wedding Wire, they respond within minutes. I still have not received a call from them.

That is why I am irritated... not because they couldn't get their scheduling straightened out, or because they ignored us for 20 minutes when we got there, or even that they never bothered to follow up and say, "hey, sorry you have had this appointment planned for weeks and we wasted your time"... what irritates me is that they are more concerned with their public image than doing the right thing by first apologizing directly to the customer!

maria · Married on 05/14/2004

1.0

We provided a beautiful picture of the cake we wanted, they said they could make it, and what we got was far from it. Then they had the nerve to only refund $75.00. DO NOT get your cake from these people.

0.0

I had to go 3 times to order a cake since they don't accept cakes with 7 days of a needed date. Next time I planned 1 week ahead but they said they are not able to take order due to "overwhelming" orders. Finally I ordered the 3rd time by going 8 days ahead and I went to pickup today. Since it was Friday the traffic was so bad, I reached their store at 6.01 pm. The person in the store said that they close at 6.00 pm and rejected to deliver my cake. They are not even considerate for 1 min delay. My wifes bidthday party is ruined due to the attitude of these bakers. They believe that it is a privilege to eat their cake. I am not going to these guys once again.

alicia · Married on 05/03/2013

0.0

Worst customer service I've experienced from " professionals "!
    Tried to recreate wedding cake experience by ordering another cake for our anniversary. I was told that I needed to pay for it up front over the phone which was fine. Called back on date arranged for pick up to ensure that it was going to be ready for pick up. I was also inquiring about the second unauthorized payment that was taken out of my account. The first thing out of their mouts was that I had to prove it. After going through the fact that it was their fault I finally relented to sending them screenshots of my statements from my bank. I then got accused of "possibly coming in the same day as my phone order and physically purchasing something. These people are crazy and have nobusiness being Iin the customer service world.

Kayla · Married on 04/22/2013

0.0

They don't make the cake they send orders to a production company. They have horrible customer service. Two thumbs down

Julie · Married on 07/02/2011

0.0

My dear friend had a SugarBakers wedding cake. Unfortunately it was quite an unpleasant experience as they lost the order, lost the proof of payment, and delivered the WRONG cake. When contacted about the mistake in the cake flavors, SugarBakers did not apologize or acknowledge the error, but blamed every other vendor involved. It was a shame that an otherwise perfect day had a bad aftertaste because of the incorrect product delivered and the horrid customer service. Choose carefully brides.

A · Married on 07/02/2011

0.0

HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE! Two weeks before wedding, contract and final payment for wedding cake was "lost." The wrong cake was received at reception venue and a representative from Sugarbakers refused to believe my claim. Even after providing a picture of the wrong cake and receiving several phone calls from wedding guests vouching about the cake, this representative continued to talk around the issue and do nothing to provide resolution. After two weeks of going in circles with this representative, the business owner was contacted and the issue was resolved. Sugarbakers may serve a delicious product, but the customer service leaves quite a BAD TASTE!