Spence Photographics Reviews

69 | Frederick, MD

69 Reviews for Spence Photographics

I helped my sister plan her wedding and recommended Spence Photographics right from the start of the planning. Molly and Dave are friends of mine from college and I've been lurking on their Facebook page and website for a while now, but had no reason to use their services...until this year! From initial contact all the way through to the final photos on the website, the service was top notch and easy. Dave was accommodating with our wacky schedules and geographic challenges and my sister and her now husband felt really comfortable right from the start. The images from the wedding are stunning and I can't figure out where Dave and his assistant were for half of them! They were discreet but managed to capture everything important. The candids are my favorite- they froze some special moments in time for me and my sister and I can't thank them enough for that. I've told everyone I know that they have to use Spence Photographics for the special moments in their lives- they won't be disappointed!

Sent on 10/05/2013

Amanda · Married on 07/21/2012

We started looking for a photographer the same time we started looking for the venue. It was actually at a venue that we were looking through a book, that was suppose to make us fall in love with the venue, but it made me fall in love with the photos instead. I made a mental note of the name and the little logo. Once we came home and looked through David’s blog, I knew we had to meet him. What I wanted most from our wedding photos was someone who would catch the little moments. Sure, I want the posed family photos- but those small glimpses; my soon-to-be husband laughing in his room before he’s getting ready, the emotion of the room when my father walked in and saw me in my wedding dress…that’s what I wanted more than anything. And I just didn’t see that anywhere else.
    David was so easy to work with. He’s so nice, and he says “do your own thing” when you’re out on your engagement photos which put my (then) fiancé at total ease. It’s normal to feel awkward when someone’s snapping away at you- but David made us feel so comfortable! When he arrived on the wedding day it was like one of our friends had come-it was no big deal (thanks to the engagement session!). It goes without saying that the photos come out amazing- you can see that for yourself on his blog/website. I just want brides and grooms to know you would be hard pressed to find a more down to earth, easy to get along with, nice photographer who you will feel totally comfortable with, who will capture every single moment (we had so many small details at our wedding and I have photos of all of them!), and who is willing to do anything to make you feel great about your experience. He is officially our photographer for life. When we’re ready for babies- he’s getting a phone call!

Sent on 11/07/2012

Rachael · Married on 07/07/2012

David was a pleasure to work with. My husband and I were actually sad to say goodbye to him when the night was over! He was not only so professional, but also fun, easy going, and just a joy to be around. From the second we met David we knew we wanted to work with him. He shot amazing engagement shots for us and created gorgeous save the dates before our wedding. During the wedding, David was able to take many of the posed shots we requested while focusing on those candid shots that I so wanted during the reception, as well. I didn't even notice he was there half the time while he shot away! Also, did I mention it was the hottest day of the year? That didn't seem to bother David...he didn't miss a beat! And his silly station! My friends and family loved it. How fun! I am so impressed with David and you will be too. If you are searching for a wedding photographer that is professional, easy going, and the best in the business...well your search has ended...David is your guy.

Sent on 07/30/2012

Erica · Married on 10/22/2011

David Spence doesn't just take pictures, he writes fairytales with a camera.

In the years before my October 2011 wedding, I visited Dave's blog to see his latest shoots, knowing that he'd be the only one I'd trust to photograph the biggest day of our lives.

His sheer talent, knack for detail, professionalism and fun personality makes him a pleasure to work with. From day one, you know that no matter what the journey leading up to the wedding holds, in the end, Dave will deliver the beauty and love that every bride envisions for their photographs. I cannot express to brides how important it is to not worry about what is arguably one of the most important parts of your wedding--wthe memories.

Brides always give the advice: take it all in, the day goes so fast, you won't remember the little things. And that is so true.
    Well, with Dave's photos, you not only remember the little things--you find moments, emotions even, in your photos that you never knew you experienced amid the whirlwind of your wedding day. Next to how GORGEOUS the photos are, our family and guests commented most on how impressed they were that he didn't miss A THING.

Dave not only took our engagement shots, but designed our Save-the-Dates. People STILL are raving about those. Our wedding photos were the BEST many said they had EVER seen. Our photos made their way to the inbox of dignitaries , who wanted to know who this photographer was! People I don't even know have contacted me to receive his contact information.

He also designed our thank-you cards, which were a collage of our favorite wedding photos. So unique and beautiful, people are framing them!

In the end, we almost felt that we'd paid too little. He could easily, and deserves, to be one the biggest photographers in the Baltimore-Washington metro area., and his rates should compete with the biggest companies in the market. His packages are also GENEROUS in their options, when compared to other photographers (whose work is not as unique and vibrant, in my opinion.)

I'm most excited that our journey with Dave Spence is not over. He will be our family photographer forever. I can't wait for him to capture all of the other beautiful milestones we have ahead.

Sent on 03/19/2012

Jessi · Married on 06/24/2011

Spence Photographics was one of the best choices we made for our wedding. David did an amazing job with the engagement photos (even on a cloudy and rainy day) and the wedding photos. I've gotten many compliments on the photos.

Sent on 12/18/2011

Holly · Married on 06/18/2011

My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed working with David Spence during our wedding. The pictures turned out fantastic and he did an excellent job capturing all the special moments. David is a very talented photographer with an amazing eye for detail. We can't wait to see our wedding album that he's creating for us!! We both highly recommend him - he's worth every penny we spent.

Sent on 12/18/2011

Liana · Married on 05/21/2011

Spence Photographics was, hands down, the best vendor I contracted for my wedding day! My husband and I met David Spence about 8 months before our wedding and we were initially impressed by his photojournalistic skill and ability to capture incredible wedding day moments that just looked so natural. My husband and I knew that we wanted a wedding photographer with a more photojournalistic approach, someone who would really capture candid moments and find unique and interesting ways to feature our bridal party without the standard awkward poses I've seen so many times. David did that and more and I can honestly say that our pictures from our wedding are above and beyond my favorite memories of our day.

Some of the aspects I liked the most about David's pictures and professional style include: the sharp and vibrant colors in the photographs; captured every little detail that we put into our wedding day up to the big moments like the first dances and cutting the cake with professionalism and taste, making sure he captured all the pictures that we wanted such as special pics with Grandmas and friends, gentle reminders throughout the day of what was coming up next, extremely flexible with choosing dates and locations for our engagement photo shoot, very responsive to email and phone calls and probably more that I just can't think of at the moment!

Every time we show pictures of our wedding to friends and family, we hear compliments to our photographer and how David really went above and beyond to capture incredible pictures of our wedding day (at one point, we was lying flat on the ground to get just the right angle for our first dance!) and so many friends and couples have asked for his information for when their special day comes.

The bottom line is you can rest assured if you book Spence Photographics for your wedding day pictures, he will do whatever it takes to give you stunning, beautiful, colorful, lovely wedding pictures to cherish forever.

Sent on 01/02/2012

Keri · Married on 10/17/2010

Great Pictures AND Great Price ... My now husband can tell you that wedding photography was something I really enjoyed looking into until I saw the expense of the photographers I liked. After a long search (probably the vendor category we meet the most vendors in) we enthusiastically decided on David at spence photographics. A-maz-ing. From the initial meeting to the last moments of the reception, David was exactly what I wanted in both communication as a client and picture style as a camera shy bride. He felt like one of the wedding party and best of all we love every one of our pictures!

Sent on 02/29/2012

Liz · Married on 07/24/2010

Your photographer is the most important aspect of your wedding, and Spence Photographics is the perfect choice. I highly recommend them. They gave us incredible photos that we will enjoy the rest of our lives!

Sent on 01/07/2011

Amy · Married on 09/12/2009

We were so thrilled with our wedding photos, and with David. It was a pleasure to work with him--from the beginning he was very easy-going yet professional, which definitely helped to make our wedding a less stressful event. He scouted out our venue ahead of time to find the best picture locations (a time-saver since it was outdoors on a farm), and many of our guests commented on how much they liked our photos--especially the candids--and the photographer. We also appreciated the fact that he was willing to design a package for us to suit our budget.

In short, David was simply great--we heartily recommend him!

Sent on 01/25/2010

Eric · Married on 05/30/2009

Easy to work with, unobtrusive, willing to travel and he takes amazing pictures at a great price. We barely noticed David during the wedding and reception but the shots he got were amazing. He was really able to capture the magical moments of our entire day which was really important to us when we were researching photo-journalism style wedding photographers. I would definitely recommend him to anyone looking for a photographer.

Sent on 02/16/2010

Holly · Married on 05/23/2009

Absolutely professional and a wonderful person to work with! We could not have asked for a better person and photographer! David was so sweet and accommodating on anything and everything we asked for! He captured our beautiful day in ways that made us speechless when we saw the photos after the wedding! He made us feel so special and we really appreciated that! We loved him and will use him for many family portraits to come!! We will recommend him to everyone we know looking for a unique and talented photographer!

Sent on 01/29/2010

L · Married on 04/21/2017

David and Molly were absolutely amazing. Another one of our vendors suggested Spence Photographics. We are so glad we took her recommendation. From the moment we met David we felt at ease. We could tell from his professional but casual demeanor we would be in good hands. We received so many compliments after our wedding about how wonderful he was. He made sure that we didn't miss out on any photo opportunities we had discussed in our meetings and planning beforehand. When we received our prints after the wedding we were in awe of how many special moments he captured that hadn't been planned. The prints are absolutely beautiful and seeing them around the halls of our new home really brings back the magic of that day. We opted for one of the packages with an unbound album. It is beautiful and we will treasure it forever. Molly was really great about answering any questions we had beforehand and even after when I was in a rush to order prints for Christmas months later. We will definitely be using Spence Photographics for any future milestones and recommend them to any friends looking for their wedding photographer!

Sent on 03/03/2018

Cristina · Married on 10/16/2016

David and Molly are simply AMAZING. From the start, we loved that they are not cliched as we wanted unique and candid photos, not the typical formal/stuffy/unoriginal ones we saw from so many other photographers. David quickly picked up on our personalities and captured photos that reflect who we are. Our guests even remarked on how impressed they were that David was able to capture photos of little moments during our ceremony and reception that others may have missed. He is fun, personable, and talented, and he was such a pleasure to work with! We couldn't be happier with who we chose to capture our special day!

Sent on 10/24/2016

Nicole · Married on 09/29/2012

I cannot recommend Spence Photographics highly enough. If you’re looking for that mix of a fun, creative, highly affordable wedding photographer, David is your guy.

We inquired and met with a number of photographers who did beautiful work, but their prices were astronomical and they charged for every single extra or additional request, pricing themselves right out of our budget. There were also the very affordable photographers whose work lacked originality.

David really captures the warmth and love between his subjects, and we loved his use of color that just seemed to pop right off the screen. He was also very easy to work with and has a great sense of humor, which makes being in front of the camera for 8+ hours much easier to bear. In addition, we liked David's flexibility and felt that he would accommodate any last minute changes or requests we had and would do it graciously.

On the big day, David and his assistant/wife Molly were very prompt and completely unobtrusive. But make no mistake, they were working their butts off, as evidenced by the thousands of photos they took – nearly all of which were beautiful. Looking through them all later, we loved having a nearly minute-by-minute timeline of images from throughout the day. These are moments we might have otherwise never seen because as the brides, we were just so overwhelmed! We forgot things or missed things, but David made sure to capture it all.

David and Molly work like a well-oiled machine. They know exactly what needs to get done and they make it happen with absolutely no stress to the wedding party. Yet, they aren’t cookie cutter. Every photo is original and so expressive and behind every photo is David – a great photographer, working to capture the best and most beautiful moments of your wedding.

Sent on 07/20/2013

David and Molly provided exceptional service from the initial consultation until the final photos were delivered. They were kind, communicative, and professional throughout our time working with them, and they went the extra mile with numerous small gifts (for instance, coffee and a coffee mug after we signed our contract with them) to really make us feel special. Most importantly, the pictures turned out amazing! David has an incredible knack for catching all of the small, intimate moments that happen throughout the course of the wedding day. We couldn't be happier to have worked with Spence Photographics for our wedding.

Sent on 09/01/2016

Jenn · Married on 06/22/2013

David was great from the engagement pictures to the wedding. They were awesome at the wedding taking pictures that were amazing, totally leveraging off of the great venue. I would highly recommend Spence Photographics for any special moments you want captured. The silly station was a great addition to the reception! I will totally use them for future family pictures and recommend them to anyone else who needs a high quality photographer!

Sent on 10/08/2013

I loved working with both David and Molly of Spence Photographics. Their laid-back, down-to-earth personalities won me over along with the incredible pictures they capture. I never felt like they were trying to sell me something or pressure me into choosing their photography services. My husband and I were nervous about having our pictures taken during the photo sessions, but the photographer did a great job of directing us and keeping the mood light. Our wedding guests liked the fact that the photographer stayed in the background and was not even noticeable during much of the reception. They also loved the wedding pictures and still comment on what a wonderful time they all had.

One thing I didn't realize is that I would have to purchase engagement photos myself at $2-$3 a photo to display at the reception. I thought I would have access to the photos in order to make cheaper copies at CVS or RiteAid. The pictures looked great because they were high quality, but it was just an extra payment I hadn't planned for so close to the wedding date.

Sent on 10/13/2013

Christina · Married on 08/04/2012

3.0

Dave did an amazing job every step of the way, from taking our engagement photos to shooting our wedding. I arrived late to our engagement session and Dave did not complain one time and the pictures came out amazing. As for our wedding, Dave went above and beyond. Aside from taking awesome photos (while managing to be invisible) he also helped fix a technical issue when our slide show presentation did not work. All in all, I highly recommend Dave for your photography needs. The only reason I gave less than 5 stars for responsiveness is because, like with any busy photographer, it can take a bit of time to get photos back or a sample of an album, etc., but even that issue is not bad at all.

Sent on 07/21/2013