Southern Mansion Reviews

42 | Cape May, NJ

42 Reviews for Southern Mansion

Jacqueline · Married on 10/14/2018

Perfect wedding

My husband and I got married on October 14, 2018, and had our wedding ceremony at the Southern Mansion. Ken, our wedding coordinator was FANTASTIC! As soon as I met him, I knew that the Southern Mansion was going to be our venue, and that we were in good hands. Ken was informative, personable, and very knowledgeable. The entire staff made us feel so special and executed the entire ceremony perfectly. Denise, the manager was also unbelievable and very helpful throughout the entire planning process. Everything was perfect. If you are looking for an absolutely beautiful venue with an amazing staff, look no further!

James · Married on 04/29/2017

We cannot express how incredible our experience with the Southern Mansion and the staff have been. From the moment that we decided to chose the Southern Mansion, right up until the day after our amazing wedding, Kira and the staff were with us every step of the way. They are incredibly accommodating, highly professional, and my wife and I both felt that we were in excellent hands during both the planning process and during the wedding itself. Kira and the staff are the greatest, not even to mention the beautiful setting of the Southern Mansion. Guests keep on telling us how much they loved the venue. A lot of guests have also told my wife and I that it was the most spectacular bridal entrance they've ever seen, down the spiral staircase. There were definitely a lot of watery eyes (including my own). And also, guests have been raving about the food, since it's delicious. The chef is amazing, so go and have a food tasting! Another bonus is the location, which is just blocks away from the beach and from downtown Cape May. It was very easy for our guests to walk 2 blocks to the Irish pub for the after party (and then to the beach for another after party, which is probably illegal, but we did it anyway).
    Anyway, the Southern Mansion is truly amazing and we highly recommend it to anyone considering having their wedding there. You are guaranteed a fantastic wedding to remember with the Southern Mansion.

Rachel · Married on 02/10/2017

When my new husband and I started our search for the perfect wedding venue it was a struggle to find something that would accommodate our vision. It was the second marriage for both of us and we wanted the location to reflect our maturity, have some elegance and beauty to it and still be able to throw a true celebration! The Southern Mansion has always been one of his favorite locations in Cape May and ultimately became the location for our recent destination wedding. I could not be more pleased to provide a rave review of the Southern Mansion, the accommodations, the food, the services and support of our lovely Kira throughout the entire wedding planning process! Throughout the year of planning our questions were always welcomed by Kira, our nerves were always calmed and ultimately the day of ran like absolute clockwork. As the full inhabitants of the mansion that weekend it truly began to feel like our home with family and friends "visiting". The space for the ceremony was magical. The solarium for the dinner was elegant. And the party space was absolutely perfect for a full rockin party!!!! The staff was helpful and friendly. The food was delicious. And this space will forever hold a special place in our heart until we return home for a visit. Thank you so much to Kira and the rest of the staff for making this special weekend so memorable and amazing!!! Love, Bill & Rachel

Hollianne · Married on 11/04/2016

I don't even know where to begin...The Southern Mansion was perfect from beginning to end. The coordinator Kira was amazing from day 1, very very responsive to what I'm sure was 100 emails over a years planning time. The venue is breathtaking, the food is out of this world..I wish I could have eaten more wearing a wedding dress! The staff were all awesome and super friendly and accomodating. It's got a very upscale vibe with a very home like atmosphere and I've got nothing but rave reviews from my guests. It was everything we could have ever asked for .

Lisa · Married on 09/10/2016

We had our daughter's reception at The Southern Mansion on 9/10/16. I would absolutely recommend this venue to anybody who loves Cape May and romance! We decided to stay at The Southern Mansion both Friday and Saturday night, so we could be in town for the rehearsal and dinner afterwards. This was the best decision we made. Working with Kira during the planning of my daughter's wedding and reception was very easy. She was available to answer any, and I mean any, question we had. My mother even called down to the Mansion several times, and Kira made time to speak with her and get whatever she needed explained. Since we had a smaller reception, around 80 guests, the place was perfect. Everyone who works at the Southern Mansion was very helpful and made us feel right at home as soon as we checked in. I do not remember the gentlemen's name, but on the morning of the wedding, my daughter was eating breakfast and the woman who we had coming to do our hair and make-up arrived a few minutes early. The gentlemen did not let the woman in the Mansion until he knew my daughter was finished her breakfast, he wanted to make sure she ate something before the madness began! That little thing he did for her meant so much to us. The day before the wedding, we met with Kira to go over the "little" things we had brought to have at the reception. All we had to do was show her what we had and then next day when we returned from the church all was exactly as we had asked. During the reception, Kira was there the entire time, helping serve cocktails, dinner and to make sure everything went smoothly. She and all the staff made our daughter's day as it should be on your wedding day, magical. Please do not let this venue go without a look!

Allison · Married on 04/01/2016

The Southern Mansion was amazing! From the planning to the day after, Kira was so helpful and attentive. She listened to my every silly question and request with a lot of patients. We had our ceremony in the main front room. It was beautiful and super intimate. We had about 50 guests and being married in that room made it feel like we were so close to dearest friends and family. After that we enjoyed cocktail hour in the solarium and proceeded downstairs to the ball room for dinner and dancing. Everything went off without a hitch! Many of our guests stayed over and loved the rooms. They also raved about the food. We stayed in the master suite both the night before and the night of our wedding... we already booked it for our anniversary! The entire staff was super helpful and very nice. For a quaint, intimate wedding the Southern Mansion can not be beat!

Great location!!!! This is a unique location was perfect for my wedding! The staff was extremely hardworking and accommodating to myself and all guests. Southern Mansion went above and beyond to make my day special. Would not have changed a thing.

Sheila · Married on 05/30/2015

We just had our wedding here and it was absolutely incredible. All of our guests raved about how gorgeous the place was. The food was incredible! It was great working with the staff at the Southern Mansion and everyone was professional and very nice.

Michelle · Married on 05/29/2015

Not only is The Southern Mansion a beautiful and intimate venue for a wedding ceremony and reception, but the staff is excellent and friendly as well. I had the pleasure of working with Kira, Denise, and Ken very closely over the past year throughout the planning process for our wedding that was just held on May 29th. We felt so comfortable asking any questions or for suggestions on literally every single aspect of our big day.

There were times I called Kira literally freaking out about something I forgot, and she always helped me to feel calm and to figure out all the details going into our important day. Even on the day of our wedding I forgot to ask someone to hold my train and veil and the girls had already lined up for the ceremony, Kira immediately calmed me down and offered to do it for me.. without any hesitation (and she did). Kira was also outside with me, digging through the garbage (on my wedding day), to find my headpiece that went missing!!! I will never forget that... <3

The entire event went without a single hiccup. The food that was prepared by the chef was fantastic and enjoyed by all of our guests. The service during the rehearsal, ceremony, cocktail hour, dinner, and reception was phenomenal!!!

We would recommend The Southern Mansion to anyone thinking about a wedding in Cape May!! Our day was literally PERFECT!!!

Kristina · Married on 11/07/2014

The Southern Mansion itself is a gorgeous property full of amazing photo opportunities. Even though we hoped for good weather so that we could have our ceremony outside on the beautiful grounds, we ended up having the ceremony inside the Victorian Ballroom and it was absolutely beautiful! The setting was so intimate and the pictures look great! The staff did a great job as well. Every staff member was friendly and committed to making our day run seamlessly, especial Kira! Kira took over the coordinating position mid-way through our planning progress, an otherwise stressful situations for a bride to be, but Kira reassured us that she was going to do everything she could to make our day perfect. And she did! She responded quickly to all of my emails leading up to the day. On our wedding day she was just as excited as myself and our family members! She adjusted a few bumps without anyone even knowing the bumps existed and provided an absolutely flawless experience that my family and guests will never forget. The chef at the Southern Mansion made the most delicious food! My husband and his family are Hispanic so we wanted to include their culture in our food choices. The chef made empandas that were to die for, as well as tostones and rice and beans. The guests all loved the food and some made the comment "this is the best food I've had at a wedding!" Overall we are so happy and can't wait to return for our anniversary!

My daughter was married yesterday at the Southern Mansion. I can't even describe how beautiful and perfect it was. Just magical! Kira Moyer is the new wedding planner, and she was fabulous! She made our special day just fabulous! We had a couple bumps in the road and she smoothed them perfectly, couldn't ask for more professionalism. The place is gorgeous, the food was awesome, it's just so lovely. I highly recommend the Southern Mansion if you're planning a wedding.

Michelle · Married on 06/13/2014

We had our wedding rehearsal dinner at the Southern Mansion and it was lovely. Andreea, the on-site coordinator, could not have been nicer throughout the whole process. She went above and beyond for us, made excellent suggestions and helped make our vision a reality.

The event was wonderful. Everyone remarked at how beautiful the mansion was when they arrived. The food was excellent - it exceeded our expectations! And the entire staff was professional and gracious. We had to go with our "back-up-rain-plan" since it rained earlier that day and the grass was too wet. And Andreea assured us the whole time everything would be ok and it was better than ok. It ended up being better!

At the end of the evening, many of our guests sat on the rocking chairs on the porch just relaxing, enjoying each other's company as well as the beautiful and peaceful atmosphere unique to the Southern Mansion.

We highly recommend this venue and cannot wait to visit again and again! It's an absolutely stunning place.

Kristen · Married on 05/31/2014

I had my wedding at the Southern Mansion a few weeks ago and still cannot stop thinking about how beautiful and smooth everything was. The location is amazing and extremely romantic. We had a wedding with under 100 people so it was very intimate and cozy. We also had many guests stay there so it was nice to be surrounded by everyone. Andreea was amazing and extremely accomodating and responsive. She made me feel extremely comfortable and relaxed with how the plans were progressing as I live three hours away from Cape May and could not monitor everything as closely. We depended heavily on her and could not have asked for a better job. All of the vendors she recommended were amazing as well. We are over the moon about the whole experience and cannot wait for our pictures to come back as the grounds and the decor at the Southern Mansion are gorgeous. We can't wait to go back for future stays and do not have enough nice things we could say about Andreea and the rest of the staff at The Southern Mansion

Taylor & Brandon · Married on 05/17/2014

Our day was incredibly flawless and stunning thanks to Andreea (Wedding Coordinator) and all of The Southern Mansion's staffs' hard work the day of our wedding. Even the days leading up to the wedding were relaxing and lovely, at the mansion, with their stunning rooms and relaxing atmosphere (and terrific breakfast too!)

Throughout the year and a half it took planning our day with Andreea, she continuously worked with us in a timely and flexible manner that always met our requests and needs. Not only did she help to coordinate our day and make sure it ran smoothly and comfortably during the ceremony, she also was hands-on throughout the entire evening with the rest of the cocktail hour and reception staff. All of the cocktail hour and reception staff were EXTREMELY kind and professional and certainly added to making our day feel magical.

The food was outstanding at both our cocktail hour and reception. Guests continue to tell us how delicious all of the hor d'oeuvres and food displays were, and are still commenting on how the filet mignon and flounder with crab imperial was the best they've ever had. Guests certainly did not leave hungry from our wedding! All were satisfied and so impressed with our venue.

We could not have asked for a more beautiful, memorable day. Our guests are still raving about how amazing The Southern Mansion and our wedding was!

Erin · Married on 04/27/2014

It is the most beautiful spot. The wedding was beautiful and Andreea helped make my day relaxed and beautiful. Loved the location, and even the weather worked with me to make it the perfect place. Also, we got the master suite for free since we reserved a set of rooms. It was delightful, and I felt completely spoiled. Also, my husband and I are vegan and they were willing to work with us to make a delicious meal. Everyone I spoke with thought the food was delicious, especially the steak. Basically it was perfect!!

Lauren · Married on 10/19/2013

Our wedding at the Southern Mansion was absolutely perfect! From the first time we saw the venue to our last song at the reception, it was a wonderful experience! Our guests loved the unique set up and decor of the venue. Andreea, the on site wedding coordinator was awesome! Our outdoor wedding didn't work out due to rainy weather and she was so accommodating to make sure our " plan b"'was flawless. We were fortunate to fill all the rooms at the bed and breakfast so our wedding had a laid-back, house party feel. The food was outstanding, the venue/landscape is beautiful and Andreea went above and beyond. There are many gorgeous locations on the property for pictures.

Ashley · Married on 10/05/2013

We stayed at the Southern Mansion for our wedding weekend, and had a large room block of guests stay there as well. We also had our rehearsal dinner there the night before the wedding.

The grounds rooms of the Southern Mansion are just stunning on their own, but it was really the impeccable service and attention to detail that made our time there so wonderful. Andreea helped us plan everything from start to finish, and was incredibly attentive and responsive. The rehearsal dinner was so beautiful and went so smoothly, and it was really her attention to detail that made the difference.

We also got ready there and took a lot of photos there before the wedding. It was just gorgeous, and the staff were very accommodating and helpful.

The rooms are just incredible. Each one is different, and all of our guests commented on how wonderful the rooms looked and were prepared.

It was also very nice that the Mansion is very centrally located in Cape May. Our guests all explored quite a bit before the wedding, and said it was nice not to have to travel far to get anywhere.

All in all, our stay at the Mansion could not have been better. We are very grateful for everything they did for us and thrilled with our decision to stay there.

Heather · Married on 09/01/2013

From the minute my fiance and I set foot into the Southern Mansion, we knew it was our wedding venue. The exterior and gardens are natural and lovely, and the interior rooms (think luxurious parlor, beautiful open sun porches, antique furniture and beautiful decor everywhere) are absolutely stunning. The venue is old-world charm with all the modern amenities you want.

Our coordinator at the Mansion, Andreea, was great from start to finish. She helped us coordinate all the little details, and she's obviously very experienced because she made great recommendations on the best way to do things for our day. She followed through on everything we asked, and even on the day of the wedding was constantly silently behind the scenes, making sure everything got done. We couldn't be more grateful for her help!

The ceremony we had was absolutely lovely and the most unique part (if you choose to do an outdoor ceremony) is your grand entrance down the spiral staircase at the back of the garden. It makes for some incredible photographs as well.

Overall, we just couldn't be happier with how our day went. I highly recommend checking out the Southern Mansion. We're already hoping to spend some anniversaries in some of their beautiful guest rooms in the future!

Sent on 09/23/2013

Southern Mansion's reply:

Dear Heather, Dear Heather, Thank you so much for your kind words. It was a true pleasure having you here and we are happy to hear that your event experience with us was great. We wish you all the best in your married life and we are looking forward to seeing you again for a romantic getaway on your future anniversaries! Sincerely, Andreea Denes, Director of Events

Natasha · Married on 05/31/2013

The Southern Mansion was the best venue a bride could ask for (especially one with a small wedding of 65 guests) and I am so glad we were married there! From the first contact we had with Andreea, the site coordinator, she made planning our event extremely easy! Always willing to answer my questions (no matter how crazy), Andreea was very accomodating, even allowing my mom and I to drop by a year after our brief first meeting (and recognized me!) to show her around.

The day of our wedding was executed flawlessly - Andreea and the Southern Mansion staff are true professionals and know how to make an event memorable! All setup details we agreed upon during the planning process (bar setup, moving decorations around, etc.) were done exactly as we had discussed - not one thing was off! The bartenders and servers were great, the food was DELICIOUS and everything was just so... PERFECT.

The Southern Mansion is nothing like your typical "wedding factory", mediocre wedding venue. I was given so much attention during the planning process and the mansion is so beautiful on its own, it doesn't need much to dress it up! If you are looking for a unique, vintage-themed venue for a small group, look no further!

Melissa · Married on 05/04/2013

My Husband and I had a wonderful wedding thanks to the great staff at The Southern Mansion. I am in my thirties, my husband in his fourties, and our friends have been to hundreds of weddings collectively -- we wanted our wedding to stand out. The same old Chicken Marsala in the "diamond room" wasn't our style. We were also financing our day so we wanted different, intimate and breath taking at an affordable price. We found that in The Southern Mansion!! I found the Southern Mansion online before we were engaged. Since we were financing ourselves -- he didn't officially put the ring on it until we were in a place to be able to throw a wedding. I called the event planner, Andreea, even before I was officially engaged!! "I don't wan't to fall in love with something out of reach", I told her. Andreea reassured me this was something she did often -- she was sweet and welcoming on the phone -- and sent over the packages immediately. It was perfect!!! Ceremony in a beautiful garden, outdoor cocktails and hor d'oeuvres, dinner on the sun porch and a dance revolution in the ball room!!! All at a price we could afford! Within weeks we were officially engaged and I was in the car with my family en route to Cape May!! Andreea greeted us at the door, and I walked into something out of a dream! The Mansion is breathtaking! I live in Manhattan and have visited Chateaus in France -- admittedly difficult to impress -- and I was in awe!! Andreea walked us through the mansion with a sweet smile and an obvious love of her job! There was nothing hidden, no secret charges, everything was honest and upfront. I signed the contract on the spot! Through the planning process, Andreea delt with my type A, meticulous, down to the flower petal planning with grace. She answered questions and gave her much appreciated words of advice and expertise. If something wasn't going to work, she was honest and kind, giving suggestions that worked. We couldn't thank Andreea enough!

• Melissa

Melissa · Married on 05/04/2013

I really could not say enough about Andreea, Barbara and the entire Southern Mansion staff. We wanted a wedding with less than 100 people in a beautiful, intimate setting. When we found the Southern Mansion on line, we knew we found something beautiful. I called Andreea the next day as we didn't want to fall in love with something we couldn't afford and we wanted to start making a budget. Andreea sent over the packages immediately! She was so sweet and warm on the phone and I could feel in my core that The Southern Mansion was going to be different! The Packages were affordable giving us many options that we could work out -- and with BYOB -- it was a financial home run!!
    When I walked into the Southen Mansion, I was speechless!! It was perfect!! As a Manhattanite, I am extremely hard to impress -- and Trey and I knew that "The Diamond Room" at the same old catering hall wasn't the wedding for us -- we booked on the spot!! At The Mansion, you get married in a beautiful garden, have a stunning staircase entrance, cocktails outside to enjoy the grounds, a beautiful dinner in the solarium and a dance revolution in the ball room. Aside from the gorgeous Victorian Mansion, the other reason to book The Southern Mansion is Andreea, the wedding coordinator. Andreea was there, always promptly answering emails and offering honest suggestions. As The Southern Mansion is not a cookie-cutter venue, Andreea walks you through each detail. She provides detailed check lists and bills. Everything was always crystal clear and honest. While being the complete professional, Andreea manages to completely capture your heart! She isn't just doing a job, she will work tirelessly to make your day perfect. I will never forget that Andreea even lent me her own facinator that she wore on her wedding day for me to use as my Kentucky Derby Wedding Hat. I wore it during dinner, as it was a symbol of how much Andreea truly cared about us and how thankful we'll always be!

Kendra · Married on 12/08/2012

The Southern Mansion was everything we were looking for in a wedding venue. The mansion is an absolutely gorgeous Victorian B&B in the heart of Cape May, NJ. The ceremony room was elaborately decorated , the cocktail hour room overlooked Washington Street with an amazing view of the gardens and horse-drawn-carriages, and the reception area was spaciously set up for dinner and dancing. Many of our guests advised us that it was the best food they ever had at a wedding!

• Kimbery

Kimbery · Married on 11/10/2012

I found The Southern Mansion after a search of Bed and Breakfast venues that can hold more than 50 people! I came across this beautiful and massive Bed & Breakfast in Cape May, NJ. As soon as I contacted the wedding planner Andreea, she left me so at ease with more pictures and an understandable contract, we booked soon after that. Then....we went on the physical tour of the venue!! Amazing!
    Throughout the process, Andreea answered ALL my emails in a prompt manner and when she was not available (which is hardly ever), other staff members assisted myself and our incoming guests. Andreea, the staff and mansion are truly wonderful...our perfect day went on as planned 2 weeks after Hurricane Sandy.
    We look forward to spending many anniversaries and weekends there!

Jessica · Married on 09/22/2012

Andreea and the rest of the staff were wonderful at the southern mansion. She was always available to answer any questions about the wedding. Our families loved the food at the reception. It was a wedding like no other. My husband and I had the greatest day of our lives there!