Skirball Cultural Center Reviews

4.7 out of 5 rating
    4.6 out of 5 rating

Michelle Married on 08/27/2022

Outstanding!

All my guests raved about the venue and the food. It was gorgeous and perfect out in the Taper Courtyard on the summer evening.
  • Kasey
    Kasey Married on 08/20/2022
      5.0 out of 5 rating

The best wedding venue ever!

The Skirball Center was our dream wedding venue, and we couldn't have asked for a better experience. From our very first venue tour, we immediately knew it was the place for us. The grounds are stunning and have the perfect museum-meets-greenery feeling (it's also centrally located in LA and has free parking!!). We were happy to support a venue whose mission is so in-line with our values.

The team at the Skirball is the best in the business. The service was impeccable, the food was delicious, and our venue coordinator, Susie, was responsive and communicative throughout our entire 1.5 year planning process. She made our dreams come true! Susie also had fantastic preferred vendors that helped our planning process immensely.

We truly couldn't have asked for a more perfect wedding, and we can't wait to visit the Skirball exhibits regularly to go back to where we got married!
    Tiffany L. Married on 07/17/2022

Excellence all around

We were extremely happy with our decision to have our wedding at the Skirball Cultural Center. Quite honestly, everything went as well as we ever would have expected. Some highlights include:

Jenny, our venue coordinator, was absolutely fantastic and of the highest order. She was one of the nicest, most patient, most understanding people we have really ever encountered. She had all of the answers to all of our, oftentimes dumb, questions. She was instrumental on keeping us on track for what felt like every detail. She was unbelievably punctual and responsive. Our entire experience was guided by the excellence that Jenny provided and I cannot overstate how much of a positive impact she made for us.

The venue itself is beautiful. We had our wedding and reception in the Taper Courtyard in front of the reflection pond. Everybody complimented us on how pretty everything was when it came together. We had string lights overhead with lights illuminating the pillars and walls. The entire event was outside, something that was especially important to us in the setting of COVID; everybody was comfortable. There are lots of places for great wedding pictures on the campus.

The food was great. Although we didn't get too much of a chance to eat, the amount that we did was delicious. We had expected as much from the tasting event that was held for us after we booked. Guests actively reached out saying the food was good. Not only "good for wedding food" good--actually good.

Overall, we would highly recommend the SCC and would absolutely book the SCC again.
  • illustration stars

Are you interested?

Send a message
  • Leah
    Leah Married on 09/01/2019

Beautiful venue

The Skirball was absolutely perfect. When we went for a walk through, I knew instantly it was where I wanted to get married. The setup was stunning, the weather was perfect and the food was delicious. I can honestly say I had my dream wedding at the Skirball.
    Lauren Married on 10/22/2017
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    Excellent, beautiful, and good-value venue. They were very accommodating to our special requests (like sourcing particular beers, for example), responsive, and good at working with our whole family. We appreciated having their excellent caterer, tables/chairs and other set-up crew all in house-- made planning our wedding just a little bit simpler. We also feel aligned with the Skirball Cultural Center's mission to promote understanding and tolerance for Jewish life in America and to support the principles of American democracy. We had such a wonderful time at our wedding and would absolutely and wholeheartedly recommend the Skirball!
    Jennifer Married on 05/27/2017

5.0 star rating 7/11/2017
    We had our wedding at the Skirball Cultural Center for 210 people over Memorial Day Weekend this year and it was a total success. Biggest thanks to Darrel De Vera for being so accommodating, professional, and helpful during the planning process. We chose to have our ceremony at the Taper Courtyard, cocktail hour at the Guerin Pavilion, and reception in the Ahmanson Ballroom with the beautiful ceiling. We've only seen previews of our wedding pictures but anticipate that they will turn out beautifully - the venue is so picturesque! The Skirball does not allow outside catering (except for the cake) but that was not at all an issue because the food at the Skirball is fantastic -- our guests LOVED the tuna tartare in sesame cones and lamb chops for our hors d'oeuvres, and the beef short rib entree was so tender. The house white and red wine were actually really good as well! During the wedding the table service was fantastic; our guests were all very pleased. Only constructive criticism I would have is that because there was a bar mitzvah happening the same night, they required the bartenders to card our guests... so one of my bridesmaids was carded at least 3 times (by the same bartender!) before we put our foot down and insisted that he stop asking for her ID.
  • Alexandra
    Alexandra Married on 04/23/2017
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    I couldn't be happier that I got married here. It's a classically beautiful LA venue and all our guests from the east coast were blown away by how amazing it was too. Susie was a fantastic coordinator to work with and made sure everything was exactly the way we wanted it and we didn't need to worry on the wedding day. The food is great too! Since everything is included there, you get a lot for your money. It was perfect for our LA/NYC Jewish wedding.
    Joey Married on 01/24/2017

Great venue

This venue is stunning. The pictures really show you what you’ll get. The staff wa damaging too.

Skirball Cultural Center's reply:

We love getting 5 out of 5 stars from our clients—thank you! But the word “damaging” might be confusing to future readers of this review. Could we politely request that you change that word to something more in line with a 5 star review? Maybe “amazing” would be a better fit? Thanks so much!
    Jenny Married on 03/13/2016
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    I had the most wonderful wedding here on 3/13/16. I had a lot of chinese guest that did not like american food. But, the food was so delicious that they could not stop going back to the buffet line. Our guest thought the venue was absolutely breath taking and it was the perfect venue for our perfect wedding. Our Skirball Venue coordinator, Susie Remo was a gem. It made working with Skirball, so easy and delightful and made our dream wedding come true.
    Stacey Married on 10/31/2015
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    Hands down, there is no better place to have a wedding in LA than at the Skirball. The setting and scenery are beautiful, it has a museum-like quality surrounded by the Santa Monica mountains. There are few places where the guests can enjoy four different settings (cocktail reception, ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception) all at the same address. Our guests could not stop raving about the venue. Also - a GREAT place for photos - our photographers were drooling over all of the great photo opportunities. The food was fantastic. We worked with Darrel who was always available, extremely helpful, and helped us put together a magical evening. Also, the price cannot be beat for all that you get at this place. I cannot say enough about the Skirball - our night was absolutely perfect.
  • User1707515 2+ years ago
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    Darrel was amazing and very easy to get a hold of. He made our day turn out just as we wanted.
    Shaina Married on 06/21/2014
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    The skirball was absolutely amazing! We seriously could not have imagined a more perfect wedding at any other location. The staff was absolutely perfect, the catering and food was delicious. Our guests were blown away at how beautiful the entire space was from our outside ceremony in taper courtyard, to the great cocktail hour outside the ahmanson ballroom, and the breathtaking reception in the ahmanson ballroom. Big thanks to our site coordinator Darrel DeVera who took care of us! Very accommodating, and helpful. They are they to help make any vision come to life and it was picture perfect!

-Very happy Mr. & Mrs.
    Jenn Married on 08/17/2013
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    We chose the Skirball Center as our wedding venue, and could not have been more happy with every last detail. We worked with Lainy, who from the time we first met with her (a year and a half before the wedding date!) until the day of was so sweet. She took care of everything, checked in with me about every detail, and was very easy to work with. The venue itself was GORGEOUS. From the Taper Courtyard where the ceremony was held, to the Ahmanson Ballroom where we had the reception, people could not stop commenting about how elegant and grand the venue was. It was everything I could have wanted for my wedding (and I know tit is gong to photograph beautifully for our pictures!!)
  • User1148403 2+ years ago
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    We LOVED having our wedding at the Skirball Cultural Center. It was a perfect venue for us. We didn't want to have our wedding at a church or a hotel. We wanted something more simple and modern. So if that's what you are looking for, contact them!

Everyone raved about how beautiful the venue was and how great the food tasted. I worked with Darrel and he was so extremely helpful throughout the whole wedding planning process. I knew I had nothing to worry about. He always responded to my emails quickly (even on weekends and while on vacation). Who does that??? That's how great he is!

I couldn't have asked for a more perfect wedding. Thank you, Darrel! You rock!
    Kristen Married on 03/23/2013
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    I could not be happier that I chose the Skirball Cultural Center for my wedding! It proved to be the ultimate venue from the beautiful grounds, amazing food & drink and impeccable service that we received from Elisa and every single Skirball employee. The modern, clean grounds serve as a blank canvas for brides to create their ultimate dream wedding! One of the most important things in the whole wedding process, was the quality of the food we served - I wanted to make sure that our wedding guests enjoyed a delicious, quality meal - And boy, did they ever!!! From the tuna tartar, to the lamb shank to the fish and short ribs - all guests raved about the food!!!

Elisa was our point of contact throughout the wedding planning process and she was completely amazing!!! She was always there to address questions and concerns, and did so in the most warm, positive and friendly manner. She had so many great ideas, and made sure that whatever spontaneous planning idea I had came to life! She is a truly wonderful person to work with!!!
  • User966612 2+ years ago
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    All 5 stars are fully deserved. The venue was obviously beautiful but it was Elisa K. who really brought us in and gave us the comfort and trust that we needed, especially after we had left another venue because we had become frustrated with their service. Elisa really brought things together, and she understood the vision for our wedding even when our wedding planner didn't. Thank you -- the wedding was better than we ever could have imagined.
    Tim Married on 09/18/2011
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    I had a great experience dealing with our events coordinator Darrel De Vera. He was very honest, prompt, and educated. He gave us all the answers and did not beat around the bush like some vendors so. The food choices were awesome, the communication was great, and the whole experience was memorable. When you are getting married, the last thing you want to think of is a planning hick up. I highly recommend the skirball cultural center for any type of wedding. The architectural designs are beautiful and there are no neighbors so you can be as loud as you want! We had the venue until 12 am.
  • User1818089 2+ years ago
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    I loved the Skirball Center!! It was a perfect venue for our wedding! My husband and I knew this would be the place the second we walked onto the property. At first I was concerned about in house catering, BUT the night was did our food tasting I was blown away - its all delicious! The waiters and bar tenders were great the night of our wedding and made sure everyone was taken care of! They even went out of their way to find my pregnant friend a bottle of Martinelli's so she could be part of the champagne toast! Our guests had a great time and so did we!
  • liljayster
    Jay Married on 05/14/2011
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    It's been a month and a few days since my wife and my wedding and I've really only had time recently to finally post my review.

The Skirball Center is absolutely one of the best venues to host an event; bar none. The place itself is gorgeous, architecture-wise, design wise, infrastructure-wise, the wait and serving staff are excellent and very easy to work with, and the event directors go above and beyond to make sure you have a spectacular event.

A little background on me; because how can I say that our wedding wouldn't have been as awesome as it was any where else considering I would only get married once? Well, I've been to well over 40, maybe even 50 weddings in the past 10 years and I even have a side-business of being event Emcee, so I have seen more than my share, in fact, a lot of OTHER peoples' shares, of seeing the various venues and events out there. Skirball is absolutely still one of the tops on my list.

Our wedding reception couldn't have gone off more smoothly with the help of Darrel and his staff. Each and every step of the way, they kept us updated and

Darrel even went an extra step to let us know about road closures in the area near our event date, which really helped us inform our guests. Some of our guests really said that they had so much fun and the place was just beautiful; granted, that all plays into the preparation and behind the scenes work you put in, but even with minimal work and preparation, this place is just fantastic.

They were able to refer us and help us book our guest accommodations nearby (we chose the Hotel Angeleno), and even helped us book transpo for our guests back to the hotel at the end of the evening.

We loved every second of our day and the Skirball Center really helped make it as perfect and memorable as it could possibly be.

Only drawback? you'd wish there were guest rooms on the facility itself, you don't want to leave!

We love you Skirball! :) :) :)
    Joanna Married on 08/09/2009
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    We absolutely loved this venue, as did our guests. The on-site coordinator was terrific and very accomodating. We feel in love with the reception room, and it was great to be able to have an outdoor ceremony and a totally different look/feel for the reception. The best part about the room is the high ceiling and floor to ceiling windows. This is not like every other venue, and nothing like just another average hotel ballroom. The costs were very reasonable. This was the most affordable place in LA to have a kosher wedding.
    Jennifer Married on 09/14/2007
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    The Skirball Cultural Center was such a beautiful place for our wedding. I really wanted a beach wedding, but those venues were just way too expensive. There are a few places you can have your ceremony or reception, and we chose the Taper Courtyard since we only had 86 guests. It has a beautiful pond/pool in the background as well as some of the Santa Monica hills. It was beautifully lit up when the sun went down and just looked exactly as I dreamed. Darrel was great to work with and really helped make the planning process easy. We looked at 8-10 places and for all that you get, along with the quality of service and food, it seemed almost a steal!
    Kimberly Married on 08/29/2004
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    We cannot say enough good things about this venue and their catering. The site is beautiful and varied. A close friend of mine was married there the same summer and our wedding venues were completely different- we had different areas for our ceremonies, cocktail hours and receptions- and every area was lovely. The food was EXCELLENT- people were talking about after. The Mediterranean table that was set up during cocktails was gorgeous and delicious. The staff was professional, responsive and flexible. Everything that we asked for was granted. For example, the regular "bride's room" had no windows and was a bit small, so I asked for an additional space to get ready where we could spread out more and not feel boxed in since we would be there all day... they let us use a large conference room AND the bride's room with no extra charge. That is only one example of how great they were to work with.
    Chikara Married on 05/05/2012
      4.5 out of 5 rating
      5.0 out of 5 rating
    We just had our wedding there this past May, and worked with Elisa Kotin. She was an absolute pleasure to work with-- very organized, quick response times, accommodating, and just an overall easygoing person. Went to the place several times to show my MOH, my fiance (now husband), my mom and aunt, and then my wedding coordinator. Each time she was very helpful and informative. She even set up a private tasting for me since my [then] fiance had to fly into town for it. The food was delicious and the waitstaff was on top of things!

Went through several versions of the Banquet Event Order and this is SO SO important to make sure you read every little detail. There were some unclear issues with the guest sign-in table... but it's not a big deal in the whole scheme of things that day.

Anyway, totally recommend the place if it is within your budget, and work with Elisa-- she is great! :)
    Eileen Married on 06/18/2011
      4.5 out of 5 rating
    The Skirball Cultural Center is one of the most beautiful places I've seen for hosting events. The setup at the Taper Courtyard and Ahmanson Ballroom were perfect! Working with Darrel was also great. He was very fast to respond to questions, and helped us with everything we needed. He was very nice and patient (for someone who likes to ask a lot of questions). We were happy overall with the quality of service, and the presentation of the place. All our guests loved it!
    Michelle Married on 08/11/2012
    4.8 out of 5 rating
      4.0 out of 5 rating
    Skirball was an amazing Venue from not only the beauty of the courtyard and ballroom but the professionalism and spot on service from the Staff. We recommend this for anyone looking to have a memorable event!
illustration stars