SJ's Disc Jockey Reviews

WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2009 Winner

SJ's Disc Jockey 1
SJ's Disc Jockey 2

Jasmin · Married on 05/20/2011

Joe was great! He played the perfect set of music to keep our guests dancing. We had a blast

Sent on 08/02/2011

Ben · Married on 05/14/2011

When you imagine how your wedding day will go, with everything working out perfectly and all of your guests having the time of their lives, that's how it went with SJ's Disc Jockey at our wedding. Joe, is the most professional, flexible, and pleasant DJ you could ever ask for. With Joe at the helm, we actually had "The Perfect Wedding." We knew when we booked Joe along with our other vendors that we were getting an "all-star" cast...but on wedding day, he exceed all of our expectations. He really managed our wedding so well, and yet he stayed so low-key and just let the wedding happen. We HIGHLY recommend SJ's Disc Jockey to ANYONE who's planning a wedding...even if you've already booked your DJ. It's not too late. Just call them up to cancel and tell them you're going with Joe instead. They will understand.

Sent on 05/17/2011

We worked with Joe's partner Greg. Greg was great! We had two meetings with him prior to the wedding, and he truly delivered on his promises. He arrived with plenty of time to get set up, and worked with family who was helping with the ceremony music, and reception. He was very responsive to our needs, and delivered an awesome party! We danced right till the very end, and so did our friends and family. Wish we could have another wedding so we could hire him again, he won't disapoint.

Sent on 05/12/2011

Alicia · Married on 04/15/2011

Joe was absolutely wonderful to work with! He made sure everything we wanted was executed perfectly, and that our wedding was a spot-on reflection of us as a couple!
    Music was very important to us, but we didn't want to micro-manage every detail... Joe took everything that we talked about, and then read the room to come up with the PERFECT playlist. We were able to put complete trust in him, and just enjoy the celebration with our guests.
    Thanks to Joe we were also able to have a photo-booth at our wedding! It was something we wanted, but weren't sure we could afford, and Joe made it possible. He even added a 15 second video feature! Everyone loved it, and now we have a disc of all the pictures and videos to remember our day.
    Joe is a class-act with a great personality! He's a genius at reading the room, and goes out of his way to help and support the bride and groom. I recommend him to anyone who is looking to have an awesome celebration without any cheesy gimmicks.

Sent on 06/08/2011

Elizabeth · Married on 03/26/2011

Could not be happier with my DJ! Joe is very professional and very easy to work with. We had a great time at our wedding, as did our guests. Joe created a great atmosphere while not being obnoxious or over-bearing, I HIGHLY recommend SJ's Disc Jockey for your wedding. I would use him again and again!

Sent on 04/06/2011

Garrett · Married on 12/12/2010

Joe was not only extremely helpful and professional from start to finish, he was also incredibly friendly and supportive. We made several changes to our original plans and every one of them was fulfilled just the way we wanted. Whenever we had a question, Joe had an answer. From the very first meeting we were completely certain that we weren't going to have to worry about anything DJ related at all. Needless to say, he arrived early to our reception and had everything setup and ready before we got there, he did a fantastic job setting up (the uplighting was beautiful) and the sound quality and timing of the music was phenomenal.

Thank you Joe for a better evening than we could have hoped for!
    We'll be sending every soon-to-be married couple we know your way!

Thanks again So much!

Garrett and Kira Cook

Sent on 12/15/2010
  • W

Helen · Married on 11/20/2010

Joe. Is. Wonderful. He is very professional, very fun, and above all a top notch DJ. He has the ability to read a room and feel out exactly what the crowd wants which is both rare and precious. He is also a very, very awesome guy and we can't wait to work with him again. Highly, HIGHLY recommended!

Sent on 11/30/2010
  • I

Rori · Married on 10/23/2010

Joe is absolutely awesome! Very accommodating and helpful when suggestions were needed. He met with us to make sure he had a good understanding of what we wanted for our wedding.

**PHOTOBOOTH!! AMAZING! Our guests are still raving over it and the photos are hilarious. We couldn't be happier with the service provided!!

Sent on 11/16/2010

Anonymous · Married on 10/08/2010

Joe was one of the best decisions we made on a vendor! He is super professional and far from "cheezy" which is what we were going for, lol! My fiance's relatives and family are a bit shy compared to my side and Joe definitely got the party started..and both sides said how much fun they had and what a great selection of music there was. Thanks to Joe of coarse. We also did the slide show with him where we provide photos and both of us got teary eyed when Joe played it at our wedding. Anyway, I can rant and rave for a while on Joe..he really is a great DJ. :)

Sent on 12/16/2010
  • W

Rachel · Married on 08/22/2010

Hello future brides! If I could title my wedding, and bottle up my experiences with my different vendors., I would call it "A Dream Come True". I am that girl that has been dreaming of my wedding since I was a little. In fact every Halloween, I asked to be a bride. To me, I wanted my wedding to be perfect... to be a fairytale. I knew the flowers I wanted, the kind of music I wanted to dance to, the type of dress I would wear, and that I wanted a great photographer to capture each moment... what I didn’t know was how to make all these dreams/ideas in my head a reality.
    To me, the music at a wedding is so important. I come from a rather traditional background, and knew that when I found the right DJ, he would understand all my needs. Well, my friends, Joe Kalamaras of Sj’s Disc jockey is the absolute epitome of what you hope your DJ would be. I knew Joe from a few years back, but had never seen him DJ. I had only heard great things.
    I tend to be a bit of a perfectionist , and so I decided to call Joe and unload on him. I had all these concerns ; what volume the music would be played at, would he know to have classics during the ceremony, but be able to pump up the fun for the dancing? Let me just say, Joe was made to DJ. He is the absolute professional. In just a ten minute phone call, Joe made me completely feel at ease, and even get really excited. He was going to personally cater our wedding to fit our style, our guests, and he even had awesome up lighting that would make my dress stand out and photos POP! Needless to say, I knew I found my DJ for our wedding. Our first consultation was just casual. Joe came over to our house, and brought a simple, yet detailed worksheet with him. We were able to completely customize our wedding : the music that was playing when the guests arrived to the ceremony site, to the groom having a microphone on him so that the guests can hear the vows, we got to pick a fun song to walk back down the isle to (as a married couple!), and then even as the guests arrived at the reception room, he had things pre-setup so it was one seamless transition .
    Our reception went great, all the verbal ques we had planned with Joe, went off without a hitch (we had a few things that were different – my husband was a Marine, so we had Joe do a little speech and acknowledge those for their service, and had a patriotic song in the background. I also sang a song to my husband and Joe had the music perfectly cued up and the microphone ready). I cannot give Joe enough appreciation for how wonderful he was. He even took the time to get the correct pronunciation of our wedding party’s names!!! Joe was the ultimate professional. Two things we opted for that we totally suggest too : a photo booth (he provides funny hats/glasses & customizes the picture strips to your wedding colors) and then the up lighting. Absolutely made a difference in the photos… all your guests literally glow!
    There are a lot of things that make a wedding truly perfect. To us, Joe was someone who understood timing, and really knew how to get the party started. We even partied until 3am!!! It was a record for our wedding venue.
    My dear brides, if you are stressed about finding the perfect DJ, look no further. Joe will make your wedding a fun and memorable event! Thank you Joe Joe! You are the BEST!!!

Sent on 03/17/2011

Andrea · Married on 08/07/2010

Joe is amazing. He knew exactly what to play and what I wanted. He got everyone up and dancing and the guests loved him too! You can tell he enjoys what he does and does it well.

Sent on 11/22/2010

Mary · Married on 07/10/2010

We worked with Joe Kalamaras for our wedding at Monte Verde Inn. We can't say enough positive things about him! He was super easy to work with, always very responsive to our questions, and put us at complete ease regarding the music aspect of our wedding. Our wedding day was perfect, and Joe/SJ's DJ was a big part of that!

Sent on 07/21/2010

Cari · Married on 05/22/2010

Our Dj Joe really honestly made our wedding a day and night to remember!!!! The wedding and reception flowed beautifully from start to finish. Joe thought of all the details and made are wedding day so special for us. He played all the right music so we danced the night away. I had so many guest comment on how wonderful the DJ was. The photo booth was also a hit, and something I highly recommend having at a Wedding. All I can say is Joe is Awesome and if you are looking for a Fantastic Dj for your wedding then you have to have Joe Dj.

Sent on 06/14/2010

Heather · Married on 04/11/2010

After meeting with several DJs in the area, my (now) husband and I immediately knew when we met Joe that he would be the one we hired. His easy-going attitude and desire to keep the crowd out on the dance floor made our wedding so much fun! Countless people have commented on what a great job he did and how no one was ready to leave when the night was over.

Joe also took care of the lighting throughout our venue and I would definitely recommend adding that to your package. What a difference it makes!

Looking back on our wedding, I could not be happier with how everything turned out and I especially love that Joe took the time to record our vows and mix them into "our song." That keepsake will last a lifetime. Thanks Joe!

Sent on 04/27/2010

Luis · Married on 02/14/2009

Joe is an amazing DJ.He has a nice selection on music and made sure our wedding was always upbeat all throughout the night.

Sent on 04/30/2009

Christy · Married on 10/18/2008

Joe is quickly becoming our "family dj"! He is so easy to work with and kept the partying going. He was willing to travel for a really reasonable fee and also provided a screen and projector for our slideshow (again, for a reasonable fee!).

Sent on 11/11/2008

Joyce · Married on 10/27/2007

Joe was wonderful. He was so easy to work with! Our wedding was 400 miles from where we lived, so we had to do a lot of things from a distance. Joe always emailed or called back within two hours of my contacting him. He has a wide selection of music, and he was very professional during the entire event. He did a great job emceeing the reception too!

Sent on 11/12/2007

Heather · Married on 05/18/2007

Joe, our DJ was great! He took lots of request from the wedding party and left the "cheese" out of the wedding. When our gutair player got stuck in traffic, he ended up doing the music for the wedding ceremony as well! Great guy and works closely with our wedding vendor, Mondte Verde Inn. 5 Stars!

Sent on 08/24/2008

Diem · Married on 05/24/2004

Joe is a very good dj and does an excellent job. He is very professional and easy to work with. We did not have any issues or problems. He has a large selection of music.

Sent on 07/18/2008

Mark and Kate · Married on 07/06/2002

Joe did our Wedding in 2002, and it left us with an impression we have not forgotten. When we found out we had a chance to write a review for him, we jumped on the chance. Friends have told us our wedding was the most fun they have ever had at a wedding, and there is not doubt Joe was a huge part of that. What we can tell you about the service and experience is this: Perfect in every detail. Not only did he meet our expectations, he helped us discover what those expectations should be. He thought of the things we did not. He said the perfect things at the perfect times. He played perfect music, all night. He left out what we did not like, and played exactley what we wanted, and fillied it in with songs that complimented. His MC work is world class. Joe keeps the party going and is truly entertaining WITHOUT being overbearing or making it about himself. He does not try to be the star of the show, rather he makes you the star of the show. Our Wedding night was 9 years ago, and it is still the greatest memory of our lives. Thanks Joe!!

Sent on 09/09/2011

Kathy · Married on 09/22/2017

Nick Javier was really fun to work with. He really made the party happen for our wedding. The sound and lighting were great, too. He listened to our music taste and executed it well. I was a little frustrated during the cocktail hour because I thought we had a specific plan for music type, but he played more dance-type music. Otherwise, he clearly has a lot of wedding experience. He kept a good timeline and planned music with us for details I would never have thought of, like cake cutting. I’m super happy we went with him for this one-time amazing event!

Sent on 01/07/2018

Allison · Married on 08/27/2016

It only took five minutes on a conference call to know that we wanted to work with Joe Kalamaras (SJ's DJ). We instantly felt comfortable with him and trusted that he would deliver as an MC/DJ. However, we had no idea that not only would he meet our expectations - he would exceed them.

Joe was very flexible and receptive of our many song requests (including playing the "Jaws" theme song as a pre-bridal processional tune to help break the ice). He found great ways to improvise throughout the event, and brought a lot of joy and humor to the day. He has a great list of wedding activities, including neat ways to dismiss tables to the buffet table or get guests involved in the reception. We are pretty sure our wedding was a lot funnier than it would have been with any other DJ!

We know we paid more than we initially budgeted and had even received quotes for, but Joe's experience and skill was worth every single penny. We wish we could party with him every weekend!

Sent on 09/06/2016

Leslie · Married on 04/26/2014

My husband and I had Jeremy with SJ's as our DJ for our wedding at the Monte Verde Inn (amazing venue btw). Jeremy was great to work with and absolutely delivered what we were looking for in a dj. The music was awesome and nothing was "tacky" as I've seen with other DJ's. I was able to dance the night away which I've always wanted for my wedding. Thanks Jeremy for helping us have the wedding of our dreams! Highly recommended :)

Sent on 04/29/2014

Annette · Married on 09/05/2009

The DJ was awesome. He palyed all the songs we requested and really kept us on schedule throughout the reception. He also provided the music and the mike for the ceremony, which was great. Everyone at the reception loved the music he chose to play during dinner, kind of a Frank Sinatra type mix. He really made the night. Tons of our guests stayed and danced until the last dance, one of my favorite's Livin' on a Prayer, which ended up being a sing-a-long.

Sent on 09/09/2009
  • Kim

Kim · Married on 09/29/2018

I had such a wonderful experience working with Joe and Rich. Rich was our man for the day of, but Joe stepped up to the assist if Rich wasn't available during any part of the planning process. They are NOT a discount DJ. They may cost a little more, but damn are they worth it!
    We were looking for a very fine tuned DJ. To us, a DJ should:
    - understand the importance of the emcee side
    - entertain but not steal spotlight
    - engage guests
    - provides suggestions and opinions during planning
    - understands it's ultimately the couple's day and decision
    - easy and fun to work with

And wow, did we find everything we wanted. I truly enjoyed working with Rich and would received a ton of compliments from the guests. There was always more than 10 people on the dance floor at all times. The party was a solid 2.5 hrs of dancing and no one stopped! AMAZING!

Sent on 10/13/2018