SJ's Disc Jockey Reviews

WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2009 Winner

SJ's Disc Jockey 1
SJ's Disc Jockey 2

Daniel and Lauren · Married on 05/25/2014

Joe was the DJ for our wedding at the Monte Verde Inn in May 2014. He did a spectacular job and we wholeheartedly recommend him! Joe made sure in advance that he knew exactly what we wanted—genres to play or avoid, and the tone we wanted to set for each part of the occasion (cocktail hour, dinner, dancing). He encouraged us to provide extremely detailed notes and long lists of "don't play" and "definitely play" songs and artists. He asked us for specific choices for every special ritual event like first dances, cake-cutting, bouquet toss, and first and last songs of the evening. I worried out loud to him at one point that our lists were too long and specific and we were being overbearing, and he assured me, "No, the more detailed, the better!" In the end, for the open dancing portion of our reception, Joe had an eclectic and fun playlist perfectly tailored to the crowd and sequenced just right: not once did he let the energy drop and people wander away from the dance floor. It was one of the few receptions either my wife or I have attended where nobody seemed ready for it to be over when it ended.
    Joe also excels as an emcee, dropping in just the right amount of banter here and there without ever trying too hard or making himself the center of attention. He is charismatic and very entertaining. Joe encouraged us to provide him (secretly) with humorous and mildly embarrassing bios of the bridesmaids and groomsmen, which he read out loud as he introduced them, to their surprise and everyone's laughter. Joe's photo booth was also a fun and recommended addition to the package; we got an album afterwards full of the goofy pictures our guests took in it.
    Logistics were completely professional and seamless. He was punctual, got everything set up without a hitch, and had a whole host of backup plans for every contingency (rain, technical malfunctions, etc.), luckily none of which ended up being necessary. We would recommend Joe to anyone in a heartbeat!

Sent on 07/19/2014
  • O

Oscar A. · Married on 04/13/2014

It was a pleasure working with Joe. We felt very comfortable having him for our wedding. Joe made sure that our wedding had a nice flow as well as he kept it elegant, yet a lot of fun.

Sent on 05/04/2014

Allison · Married on 12/14/2013

Well it is no surprise that Joe is AMAZING! Looking at all of his reviews it is very clear. The first time my husband and I met with Joe we knew we wanted him to MC our wedding. Immediately we told him we wanted a fun wedding and that is what he delivered. Our guests loved his upbeat personality and fun approach to the traditionally reception events. He kept the crowd laughing and everyone on the dance floor. If you are looking for a fantastic DJ, I would highly recommend Joe.

We also chose to add his photo booth which was a huge hit with all the guests. We got digital copies of all the photos plus guests were allowed to leave a short video clip for us.

Sent on 01/05/2014

Joe is hands down the best around. Before booking him for our wedding, we watched him at two different weddings. Joe is so fun, laid back and just knows how to work a crowd! He can turn anything into something fun. Two weeks after my wedding and I am still getting compliments about him. Worth every penny and more! Do yourself a favor and just hire joe. I promise you won't be making a mistake.

Sent on 12/22/2013

Jacquelyn · Married on 10/12/2013

We booked with SJ's and had Greg for our DJ. He was so nice and professional. When it came to choosing songs, if there were any blank spots he had multiple suggestions and options for me to choose from. For the wedding day he arrived early to set up and did a great job on the ceremony music. Then he also kept the evening flowing with announcing when we would do cake cutting, toasts, etc. to keep us on our timeline. Once open dancing started, he played good songs that people could definitely get up and dance to. We also got a photo booth through SJ's and it was lots of fun. They provided a multitude of props for our guests and it printed two strips each time so they could keep one and paste one into a book for me and my husband. Also we received a DVD with all the pictures and they also could let guests record a short video message to us. Overall, so happy with all the services we got through SJ's. They made our day that much more wonderful!!!

Sent on 10/14/2013

Kara · Married on 10/06/2013

What can I say that hasn't already been said about Joe at SJ's Disc Jockey? ...Joe is absolutely the most talented, charismatic, engaging DJ out there! Joe is professional, yet fun and will keep your wedding guests entertained and happy. He responds promptly to any questions that you may have and is always willing to meet to go over wedding details, check out your venue and make you feel like you don't have to worry about a thing.
    I did not have a single worry about music or wedding flow with Joe. Our guests enjoyed the fun touches that he added to our day, such as the Bridal Party introductions, a trivia game, and others. Joe will make your day unique to you and your partner and give you an incredibly fun wedding to remember - for everyone! I would most definitely reccommend SJ's Disc Jockey for any event. Joe is THE MAN!
    We love you Joe, Erick and I thank you for rocking our wedding! We had a blast, and we will never forget it!!!

Sent on 10/08/2013

Jamie · Married on 09/21/2013

Joe was amazing to work with! He was helpful and prompt with any questions we had and made us feel so comfortable with him taking charge of our day. DJ's are extremely important to the flow of the ceremony and reception. He facilitated smooth transitions from cocktail hour to introductions to dinner and then speeches. He knew we wanted to dance all night and he made sure things weren't lagging so we could do so! He was so great with all the music he played and was so much fun! He also provided us with a photo both and our guests LOVED it! It was so much fun! The only regret I have is not using it more because I was too busy dancing to great music!

Sent on 11/18/2013

Erin · Married on 06/02/2013

In my opinion, the DJ plays the most important role on your wedding day. They are the ones who will either make or break your reception... so ladies and gentlemen, HIRE JOE! He is professional, efficient, and totally fun. He will listen to your requests but he also has a lot of great suggestions so be sure to listen to what he has to say. Not only will he play great songs to get your party going, but he will also have fun on the mic with your guests. My wedding was on a Sunday night and he kept us dancing until the venue closed! I highly recommend Joe as your DJ! I promise your party will totally rock.

Sent on 10/20/2013

Carrie · Married on 05/11/2013

Let's just say, it was 90 degree weather on our wedding day and no one left the dance floor! Joe was incredible in helping with the flow of the evening and providing valuable insight on how to make sure our night ended on a high note! He was incredibly responsive to our play list requests and even went outside of his comfort zone to play a lot of my country music requests! He was just enough presence to make sure everything went according to plan, but not too overwhelming or in your face. He worked closely with our vendors to make sure all flowed according to the timeline, and he knew all of the little details, like my niece and nephew's names for their special dance! At the end of the wedding, my nephew asked for Joe's business card so that he could come play at his 9th birthday party! Joe was a huge hit with all of the guests, he accommodated requests and made sure no one got bored.

Sent on 06/17/2013

Le Ann · Married on 04/19/2013

Joe is wonderful! He was extremely professional, had the timeline down, and kept everything on track. He was able to keep people out on the dance floor, and we all had a wonderful time!

Sent on 05/06/2013

Dave and Susie · Married on 04/04/2013

Our DJ, Joe, was outstanding! Where do I begin? Not only was he helpful, charming, attentive to our needs, thorough, professional, on time, quick to respond to emails and inguiries, and very flexible, but he also provides the best value for his DJ services that we found anywhere! He made our wedding the best experience we could have ever hoped for! We had a very specific time frame that we needed to get everything into, and Joe worked with us in every little detail, and really paid attention to our special requests and wishes. We couldn't be happier with our decision to have Joe handle our event. He MC'd our wedding ceremony and reception for us, and kept everything moving right along with our tight schedule, and made it the most beautiful day for us. I HIGHLY recommend SJ's Disc Jockey! Thanks Joe..!!

Sent on 04/30/2013

Raechele · Married on 01/04/2013

My husband I just got married on 12-29-2012 and was referred to Joe from our florist, best referral ever. Joe was flexible with meeting us for our first meet and greet and even recommended a later evening appointment to accommodate our work schedule. When we sat down with Joe he gave us a lot of ideas to make our reception memorable which we ended up going with and our guest our still raving about. Joe not only was our DJ but we also went with him for our photo booth and our up lighting as well. Great decision on our part. I would highly recommend Joe for you event.

Sent on 01/04/2013

Paula · Married on 11/09/2012

OUTSTANDING ALL THE WAY AROUND! Joe was fabulous!!!! From the moment my husband and I met Joe we knew he was our guy...he is not only professional and responsive to questions but guides you through the process of music selection to make you feel like you are part of the creation process. During the ceremony he coordinated all of our attendants so that everything ran smoothly, during the dinner he made announcements and got the attention of our guests, and during the reception he commanded the dance floor.

Everyone from our oldest guest to our youngest guest were dancing the night away as Joe picked the perfect mixture for everyone. He made the evening enjoyable and we are trying to figure out what other events we can have him back for as he was phenomenal!!!!!

Sent on 01/22/2013

Joe was amazing!! He made sure my husband and the officiant had a mic during the ceremony so that we were heard by everyone and he didn't miss a single beat. His timing was flawless and he made sure we had all the music we wanted for all those special moments. He had a very small crowd to work with come open dancing time but he made sure to play to the crowd. He saw what songs were working to get people up and dancing and he continued with that pattern. He had all the lights going to make it fun and he was there to inform the guests when it was time for cake or dancing or toasts; he made sure everyone was informed and everything ran smoothly. Joe was wonderful!! No one better!!

Sent on 12/05/2012

Kristen · Married on 11/03/2012

Let me start off by saying what a nice and down to earth guy Joe is. We got so lucky to find him. From the first time we met him at the local Starbucks, sparks flew between him and my husband. I'll say that through the entire wedding planning process, my husband never had too much of an opinion and left almost everything up to me. But after our meeting with Joe, my husband let me know that he wanted Joe to MC our wedding. I was already sold by SJ's reviews and price (he is affordable too!), by Joe sealed the deal by meeting my husband and I. We hired Joe almost a year out and during that 11 months, I'd email Joe with questions or song selections and every single time, he'd get back to me within the hour. He was beyond helpful. I met him a few weeks prior to our wedding to finalize song selections and what not and I could not have felt more comfortable come my wedding day. The whole day went flawlessly. He was the perfect guy to get the crowd going. And that voice of his...he's got the perfect voice! I only hope I'll be able to see Joe again when I attend other weddings and events. I highly recommend him. If you want flawless music, entertainment, and spectacular lighting, call SJ's Disc Jockey. You won't go wrong! Thanks for everything SJ's!!!

Sent on 01/23/2013

Meagan · Married on 10/13/2012

Words cannot express how much we love Joe Kalamaras!! He was referred to us by our wedding venue and that was the best referral we could have gotten. Joe was kind, professional, has great music taste and just an all around fun guy to be around! The services we recieved were well beyond the value we paid. Joe accomodated any and all of our needs from pre and post ceremony music to all the MC announcements. He encouraged us to have fun introducing our wedding party before the reception started and I still laugh thinking of how he announced our friends and family. He even surprised my husband and I by changing up the garter toss. Guests couldn't stop talking about how great our party was! We also utilized Joe's photo booth service which was a great hit with our guests! At the end of the night we were presented with a beautiful photo album with a copy of all the photos our guests took along with a DVD that had all the photos and videos people left for us. We used these photos with our thank you notes to send to the guests. It was a great surprise for them. I can't thank Joe enough for all he did and our friendship we now have. He's the best the business has to offer!

Sent on 01/18/2013
  • Haley

Haley · Married on 09/08/2012

Joe Kalamaras is a great DJ. He did an amazing job the night of our wedding--everyone loved his music selections and I loved his organization, professionalism, and friendliness. Leading up to the big day, he was always available for questions and flexible with changing plans.

Sent on 09/14/2012

Meredith · Married on 06/23/2012

Greg was our DJ and he did a fantastic job! He responded quickly to our emails and questions and was flexible with times for our appointments. He had a very professional and friendly manner as he facilitated the reception. We appreciated that he listened to us when we explained the music we did/did not want and we got exactly what we wanted. We and our friends had a blast dancing the night away!

Sent on 07/09/2012

Diana · Married on 06/10/2012

Joe responds promptly and is super flexible when it comes to meetings. He doesn't ham it up as an mc and makes sure to check with the bride & groom for "do not play lists" & whether requests are acceptable. He arrives 2 hours early to set up and offers some extra services too! I really wanted his lighting but we had an all outdoor wedding in June so it would have been a waste (which he pointed out rather than just taking my money) but we did have him put together a slideshow for us. If you think you could do it yourself think again! It was professional! We also had his photo-booth which was a HUGE hit! This was entertainment for guests, a wedding favor, & a keepsake for us! Totally worth it!

Sent on 09/09/2012

Lindsey · Married on 04/29/2012

Joe was great! He was very professional and detailed when we originally met. He offered a great price and was very responsive via email. The day of the wedding he was great. He didn't miss a single queue and played great music. Thanks for making our day special!

Sent on 06/06/2012

Randie · Married on 03/31/2012

Very fortunately, all of the vendors for my wedding were 5-star amazing. But if I could give Joe a 6th star, I would, because he turned the wedding into an event to remember! He was there 2 hours early and handled the sound for our ceremony flawlessly. Then, for the reception, his lighting for the room was breathtaking and really set the mood for the whole evening. His easy personality quickly won the guests over as he emceed, introduced, and made announcements. Lastly, he kept the dance floor packed all night long. This was amazing in and of itself since we had repeatedly told him in our planning that we were concerned people were not going to dance. I forgot to mention that during the entire planning process, he always responded to e-mails in a timely manner and available to answer any and all questions I had.

His photobooth was also a huge hit and we couldn't have been more pleased with our photobooth guestbook, the video messages, and the photobooth pictures, which were of high quality and not cheesy at all. I got so many compliments about the photobooth and the music.

Thank you for being a part of our wedding, Joe!!

Sent on 04/10/2012

Kat · Married on 12/23/2011

Joe is hands-down amazing! We had a very small wedding, and initially I thought our guests weren't likely to spend much time on the dance floor, but Joe kept things moving all night long! I had no clue my parents danced like that....
    We gave Joe selections for the important dances and a sampling of music we liked, but ultimately left the playlist up to the expert and man did he come through! All the songs for our ceremony were qued up perfectly, and he really set the mood wonderfully for the entire evening with his music choices. We had more than one person ask for a playlist of the dinner music, and they couldn't believe that it was our DJ that put together a selection that was so "us".
    Joe was also great to work with, professional and really caring. He's completely down to earth in person, yet can really get enthusiastic and a crowd up to dance, without ever being corny or overbearing. I would recommend his services to anyone.

Sent on 05/23/2012
  • O

April · Married on 11/13/2011

Professional, Detail-Oriented, and the PERFECT MC voice! SJ's Disc Jockey couldn't have made us happier! As many appointments/meetings as we needed, so flexible, and all the details remembered!

Joe Kalamaras was such a special find and there really isn't a DJ/MC that can compare to his pricing and quality services! He has so many extras (lighting, multimedia, and photobooths!) to offer and assistants that are super friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable!

I highly recommend SJ's - you'll be SO glad you booked them!

Sent on 01/28/2012

Kris & Ericka · Married on 09/24/2011

Where to start!!??? Joe is amazing! From the first time we met with Joe, we knew we would be in great hands. He was kind, caring, personable, and fit into our budget. I knew he would be more than just a vendor at my wedding but a friend to us as well and that was important to us! This was my special day and I didn’t just want some random person we didn’t know trying to DJ our wedding. With that said he got to know us, we met on several occasions and chatted all the time via email, phone, or even IM. By the time the wedding came it felt like we had known Joe for years. When your DJ knows you and your husband verses just being a complete stranger we found that it makes for a much better reception. Things just flow better; he’s not trying to figure out what you like or what you don’t like or what to say about you when introductions come around. He already knows! Joe truly made for the best reception ever. I’m not just saying that because it was my wedding but because everyone raved about how great he was, the music was perfect, the introductions where Awesome. My husband who does not like to dance even got out on the dance floor and did the best sexy dance I have ever seen. PS Thanks again for that Joe!!! One of our friends who are getting married next year wants to have him for their DJ as well. Joe even got out on the dance floor with us and had some fun himself!! Overall Joe ROCKED our wedding and we would do it all over again we had some much fun. We would recommend Joe to anyone who wants to have an AMAZING wedding and DJ!
    Mr. & Mrs. Johnson

Sent on 11/28/2011

Desiree · Married on 05/27/2011

If you do not go with Joe and SJ's Disc Jockey for your wedding/event you are doing yourself and your event a disservice! I must have researched 20 or so DJ's in the local Sacramento area and although some seemed like they would work no one struck my fiance and I like Joe/SJ's Disc Jockey did. Joe is extremely experienced, extremely professional and has a voice that just screams DJ! The man should be on radio :-). Truly though there is no way to describe it better than Joe just "gets it". He understands what a modern couple wants and then exceeds even the highest expectations. He is on top of it, knows the latest trends in music, has an online library to make your life easier in suggesting tunes and best of all? He takes care of everything I mean everything! We didn't have to do more than fill out his basic form of suggested songs and do not plays and he was able to know what we would like and how to handle our guests requests at the ceremony. He is organized with notes and his own timeline and flow for the day. He not only is a fantastic DJ but he hosted our event as the MC in an amazing, fun and professional way. I can not speak highly enough or do him justice in a short review but know that even the most demanding brides (which I possibly was!) will be able to put their trust in Joe and not be let down!
    He is FANTASTIC!