Simply Desserts Reviews

• WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2011 Winner
  • WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2010 Winner

Megan W. Getting married on 02/26/2022

Simply the Best!

My husband and I had a wonderful experience with Kathy and loved our delicious cake! She took the time to get to know us and our tastes and really understand exactly what we were looking for. The cake was probably the one thing in wedding planning my husband and I didn't agree on since I love chocolate and he does not. Kathy made it so easy by offering so many cake options for us to try and surprisingly I liked a non-chocolate more than chocolate! My Dad arranged the flowers we had put on the cake and she was so kind in working with him for the flower delivery and adding them to the cake We couldn't say enough positive comments about Kathy and our cake and can't wait for our top tier on our first anniversary!
    Erin Married on 07/31/2021

Delicious (and Dairy Free Options!)

Kathy did an awesome job making a small cutting cake and cupcakes for our wedding reception. The bride needed a dairy free cake, and it was amazingly delicious--maybe even better than the dairy-full ones in the groom's opinion (raspberry amaretto if you're curious). With various complications on our end, we had to do separate tastings for the regular and dairy free, and Kathy was very accommodating. She also custom decorated the cupcakes to fit a blue flower theme at a very reasonable price and we used them as part of our centerpieces for the tables. We were hoping that one or two might be left over to come home with us, but somehow our guests made sure they all very quickly disappeared at the end of the reception!
  • Leah
    Leah D. Married on 12/31/2020

Yummy and beautiful!

Kathy was fantastic helping us figure out what we wanted our cake to look like, and was flexible with changing flavors and size when we needed to. She produced a cake that was exactly what I was hoping for with my wedding theme of butterflies.
  • Iman
    Iman B. Married on 08/07/2020

Simply Desserts is Simply Perfect

Our wedding cake was SO delicious! And...it was beautiful! Their customer service was also on point. What else can you ask for?! Thank you simply desserts!
  • Eloise
    Eloise G. Married on 06/29/2019

Great personalized experience!

We had a wonderful experience with Simply Desserts! After trying two other cake vendors who literally just dropped cake samples on a tray and left us there, Simply Desserts provided the personalized experience we wanted. We left our cake tasting, not only having tasted some delicious samples, but feeling like we made a new friend. As I (The bride) am not a fan of cake, we chose to go with a smaller top cake, Strawberry Lemonade, and then a bunch of uniquely flavored cupcakes. They were all a huge hit! My mother, at the last minute, also requested Gluten-Free Cupcakes. This request was met with no issues and I am told they were delicious!

Simply Desserts's reply:

Thanks for the great review Eloise. It was a pleasure meeting and working with you and David. Looking forward to working with you guys in the future.

Take care,

Kathy
  • Debra
    Debra Married on 11/18/2018

Amazing and delicious

Hiring Simply Desserts as our baker for the wedding was the best and easiest decision! We met with Kathy in her home office where we had a tasting. She came to the meeting very prepared and she even brainstormed some decoration ideas for us, including drawings and photo inspiration! She was also able to work with my dietary restriction with ease (non-dairy). Everything was delicious and it was very hard to narrow down our decision on cake flavor! Our guests were so impressed with the cake and cupcakes! We got one 6-inch cutting cake (yellow cake with strawberry white chocolate cream cheese), and 30 cupcakes of each flavor: pumpkin with cinnamon buttercream, dulce de leche with vanilla buttercream, red velvet with white chocolate buttercream, and lemon cake with raspberry preserves. Kathy worked with our Harry Potter theme to tint the buttercream inside the cupcakes to match the Hogwarts house colors! Payment and delivery were flawless... she did everything exactly as we wanted and everything turned out amazing. Seriously, I do not know why anyone in the Baltimore area would go anywhere else for their cake needs. I can't wait to get another cake from her!!

Simply Desserts's reply:

Thanks for the wonderful review Debra. It was a pleasure working with you Joshua. I wish you both a lifetime of happiness and cannot wait to make another cake for you again.
    Elysia Married on 09/30/2018

Simply wonderful!

Kathy was wonderful to work with. Her cakes are delicious and beautiful, and our guests loved the beautiful cake she made for us!
    Tiffany Married on 06/23/2018
    O!M!G!!! Our wedding cakes were absolutely AMAZING! I am very picky about cake because I used to make them professionally myself, so understand the gravity of this statement: These were THE best cakes I have ever tasted in my LIFE!!

We had them do individual cakes for each table with lemon/blackberry curd for the guests and truffle cake for us. I'm telling you, these cakes crossed our eyes and dotted our Ts! Kathy was WONDERFUL to work with, and the cakes were just beautiful. (I'll post pictures when I get them.)

Trust us... you want these cakes in your life.
    Donald Married on 05/26/2018
    Kathy was great! A wonderful experience working with her for our big day. The cake was delicious. Thank you for making our day magical!
    Shamira Married on 04/28/2018
    My fiancé now husband and I attended several cakes tasting, but we were not completely pleased. When I contacted Kathy, she provided me with a list of cake flavors. We were impressed with the list, because She has a good selection. The day of our tasting, Kathy was very professional, and we felt comfortable, because she has a beautiful personality. When we tasted the cakes, they were moist & delicious, and the buttercream icing was perfect. Kathy helped us in choosing our wedding cake style and she did an AMAZING JOB!! Everyone in our wedding like the cake design and flavor. We chose almond cake raspberry tiramisu. We will certainly be using Kathy again. Thank you, Kathy!
    Jaime Married on 04/28/2018
    Kathy bakes the best cakes, they are phenomenal! We thought we wanted fondant because of the smoothness and appearance. However, Kathy uses Italian buttercream which is not as sugary and the texture is so smooth it looks like fondant and tastes so much better! Kathy was so easy to work with, very sweet and kind, and her communication was top notch! Payment was very easy and she delivered our cake right on time to our outdoor tent. Our guests raved about our wedding cake. We choose Tiramisu and Chocolate Chocolate, delicious! I would very highly recommend Simply Desserts, you will not be disappointed and it will definitely be our “go to” for any future cakes we will need!
    Heather Married on 04/21/2018
    WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL!!!! Kathy's cupcakes were the BEST! Thank you for making our day special.

I recently got married and Kathy's professionalism through the whole process made ordering our cupcake(cake) probably the easiest thing we had to do through this entire experience. When you meet with Kathy it is just you and her, so all the attention is on you and your BIG day. We ordered 4 different flavored cupcakes. The Chocolate Caramel Rum, Chocolate Salted Caramel, Simply Lemon and Tres Leche. They were ALL DELICIOUS, especially with the Jamaican Buttercream..yum! We ordered 150 cupcakes and received our cake top for FREE, and with a different flavor then the cupcakes,(chocolate covered strawberry). The options are endless with Kathy's baking expertise. We will definitely order from her again, maybe for our 1 year anniversary? I am referring everyone I talk to about cakes to Kathy. I also work at a hotel, so anyone asking, she is the first to be mentioned. If you are looking for inventive, delicious sweets... Kathy is your girl. Our guests are still talking about how delicious the cupcakes were and how they were light and not too sweet.

Thank you for making our day SPECIAL!!!
    Love Heather & Justin McGill
    Brandi Married on 10/22/2017
    Kathy was simply simply amazing and she nailed our Travel themed wedding cake!!!! My husband and I did not see the finished product of the cake until we walked over to cut it and we were floored at how beautifully she nailed our vision. We went to Kathy with a Travel themed vision and asked if she could put a gold outline of the continents on our cake and she said she’s never done that before but she would try! Not only did she show us sketches of our vision during the process, but she also demonstrated which cake sizing would best display the continents. Our guest simply loved not only the look but the yummy soft taste the cake had to offer. The cake was georgeous and yummy!!! Kathy is awesome and a pleasure to work with. We can’t wait for our 1 year anniversary cake but I’m sure we’ll be using her again for other celebrations in the future!!! We love you kathy!- The Martins
    Erin Married on 10/06/2017
    Kathy was amazing! We got along with her so well, and loved all of the wonderful cake flavors. Our guest raved about the cake—both it’s beauty and taste! In fact, we loved kathy and her cakes so much that we’ve continued ordering cakes for birthday and other special occasions. I would highly recommend working with Kathy for your wedding cake!
    Amanda Married on 10/06/2017
    Kathy is THE BEST. Hands down. She's friendly, sweet, and so easy to work with. The cake was gorgeous. The layers were AMAZING. She was willing to help us tweak the flavor to get exactly what we wanted, and the pricing was so reasonable. We will be getting our first anniversary cake from her as well. Try the Bailey's Irishcream. That was our middle tier, and I could have eaten that for days!!!
    Peta Married on 09/16/2017
    Pricey but the cakes are AMAZING!! All my Jamaican family members loved our wedding cake which was the traditional black cake with fondant and marzipan. Because we bought cake for over 75 people, a 7" cake or 5" black cake was included in our pricing which we used for our rehearsal dinner. We went with the 7" Amaretto Raspberry cake with her 'grown up' buttercream. Everyone loved it!! She is now my personal baker for any future events :)

Simply Desserts's reply:

Thanks so much for the awesome review Peta. It was a pleasure making your cake (loved the challenge). I wish you both a lifetime of happiness and I look forward to being your cake lady for life :).
    Greta Married on 08/18/2017
    I had a great experience with Simply Desserts. Karen was a pleasure to work with and ver y professional. The weeding cake she made was beautiful and delicious.
    I would recommend Simply Desserts for any special occasion. Kathy was wonderful.
    Thank you Kathy!
    Diana Married on 06/10/2017
    So easy to work with and everything turned out so beautful and tasty! Thanks a bunch : )
    Ande Married on 11/06/2016
    We had a fantastic experience with this vendor! We'd had another tasting that same day at a formal cake shop in Annapolis who were very tasty and professional, but a bit expensive. We went to Simply Desserts, and were a bit concerned when we realized the business was in Kathy's basement... as well, she served us our tasting on a Styrofoam plate when we'd just come from a formal cake shop with real china. I will NEVER be so pretentious again! My husband and I took one bite of the tasting cake, looked at each other, and in unison said "This is better!!"

Kathy listened very well to everything I asked for on the cake, and her prices were very reasonable. She delivered a beautiful cake on time to our venue, and EVERYONE raved about how delicious it was! It was incredible! We'll probably order an anniversary cake from her, as well (she gave us freezing instructions, but I'm not a fan of the idea of year-old cake, haha).

Highly recommend to friends and family alike!

Simply Desserts's reply:

Thank you for the awesome review Ande. I look forward to providing you and Bill with desserts in the years to come.
  • User2685286 2+ years ago
    Kathy was great to work with. We enjoyed meeting with her and getting to sample some of her cake! We opted for cupcakes and a small cake for my now-husband and I to cut together on the day of our wedding. The guests must have enjoyed them, because we ordered WAY more than we thought necessary for the size of our wedding, and were left with only about 10-15 cupcakes at the end of the day! Very professional, flexible, and friendly service.
  • User2643275 2+ years ago
    While I did not order my cake for a wedding, I will tell you that every bride will be delightfully happy at how delicious and beautiful her cake will be if she orders from Simply Desserts. I ordered a Graduation cake for my daughters high school graduation and it was a great decision! Kathy was so flexible about my wishes, she made suggestions to make the cake look beautiful and provided me with exact details so that I could decide easily. Kathy is a friendly, professional and wonderfully talented woman and she made us a cake that we all loved. It was extremely yummy!! We will certainly be using Kathy again for our future important occasions.
    Morgan Married on 04/24/2016
    Kathy of Simply Desserts was wonderful! We had so much fun at our cake tasting, and Kathy was very personable. The cakes we tried were delicious, and we were sold immediately! Kathy sent us sketches of our cake to make sure everything was how we had envisioned it. The cake looked amazing the day of our wedding and tasted just as good! I would not hesitate to use Kathy again!
    Erica Married on 09/19/2015
    My husband and I are SO proud of our wedding cake. It's honestly the best cake we've ever had, and we love cakes. This is real buttercream icing, not horrible american grainy frosting. And I've had "european buttercream" from some bakeries and they were stiff and flavorless, but this was spectacular and smooth and buttery. The cake and fillings were fabulous too, we got the raspberry tiramisu and the black russian combinations. Guests loved them both!!

Kathy was superb from the very first email. I was trying to work within a tight budget, but I had a specific idea of what I wanted. I emailed something like 30 vendors but Kathy's email response stood out, not only because it was in my price range (as quite a few were) but she responded with knowledge about the specific kind of icing and color and design I wanted. I thought I wanted something impossible because every vendor said no, but Kathy took what I wanted and helped me find a way to accomplish my creative goal without sacrificing quality of the product. Kathy knows her stuff!

I live in Los Angeles, but she was able to work with me long distance. When John & I were finally able to meet her in person she sketched out the design of the cake for us, which really helped cement in my mind what it would look like and how it would go with the other elements in the wedding.

After the wedding we decided to box up the leftovers and take them with us rather than freezing the top per tradition, however if you want to do that Kathy has instructions. Instead, we ate the rest in bed after the wedding. :)

And she was always quick to respond to my emails, which was a big deal because I have a hectic work schedule and tight deadlines so I planned most of it on my lunch break.

Thank you Kathy! <3
    Erica & John
  • W
    Will Event on: 08/16/2015
    I first heard about Kathy last Christmas when I was planning a party and wanted to really impress. The decorative Coconut Christmas cake was divine and almost too beautiful to eat! After that experience, I decided to surprise my wife for her 50th Birthday with a "Statement Cake", and again, Kathy outdid herself. The first layer of three tiers was what I'd call "Knockout Chocolate" that and literally shut down the party. The second layer was lemon with a raspberry filling, and was so light and delicate, it felt like you were eating air. The top tier, which was absolutely my favorite, was Red Velvet. Another show-stopper. Honestly, unless she retires, I don't think I'd ever consider using another bakery, with the personal care and attention to detail I received from Kathy. Oh, by the way...SHE DELIVERS ALSO!

All the best and continued success!

-WN
    Hannah Married on 08/15/2015
    I hired Simply Desserts to do my wedding cake for my 8/15/15 wedding. My husband and I had done numerous cake testing, but this one was a clear winner. The cake samples, and the cake itself, was delicious. We had two main flavors in our cake, one was a chocolate cake with a cream cheese/white chocolate filling. That one was my favorite, it was simply divine. The other was a Tres Leche light sort of thing, not a proper Tres Leche but as close as you can get without it being problematic for a wedding cake. My husband adores Tres Leche and was super happy with it.

She was easy to work with in planning out the design of the cake, and determining the size of the cake vs cost. The price was reasonable, the cake was the size I had originally wanted but couldn't afford at other places, and it tasted ridiculously good. I got a cake that was much larger than I needed, and yet it was GONE by the end of the day.