Silver Hearth Lodge Reviews

• WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2017 Winner

• Christina
    Christina J. Married on 10/09/2021

Magical wedding venue

Silver Hearth Lodge was an absolutely magical place to get married. We ended up having a very small wedding but it was perfect and the views are just breathtaking. We have so many incredible photos. Bob was such an absolutely pleasure to work with, and he had so much valuable insight that really helped us. Thank you a million times!
  • Rebecca
    Rebecca L. Married on 05/15/2021

Our amazing day at SHL!

I can't believe how lucky we were to find this venue. We had a hiccup with our previous venue and had 90 days to change locations. That's how we found Bob and the amazing team at Silver Hearth Lodge. Everyone at our wedding said our hiccup was a blessing in disguise and we couldn't agree more. The SHL team only do weddings, which means they've literally thought of all the little things. Our wedding was absolutely perfect and so much less stressful than it would have been at any other venue. Not only were the views amazing at SHL, but the atmosphere was incredible as well. Bob was there when we needed anything but he wasn't breathing down our necks which was important to us. If you want an incredible wedding then check out Silver Hearth Lodge. I promise you'll see why you wouldn't want to choose any other place to get married.
    Sharon C. Married on 09/19/2020

Beautiful Venue, Stellar Service

This is a great wedding venue with amazing views, stellar customer service, and awesome facilities. The proprietor, Bob, is a joy to work with, thorough and accommodating. The venue has a lot of amenities for a one-stop shop, lots of built-in photo ops. They even had a few surprises for us that made our rustic-chic dream wedding come true.
    Tiffany W. Married on 08/08/2020

Better than we could’ve dreamed

Bob was incredibly helpful in our wedding planning process and made everything so simple and easy. The venue is truly picturesque, I don’t think we could’ve picked a more beautiful place. His list of vendors made it so easy to find catering and more especially since we were unfamiliar with the area!
  • Kristin
    Kristin N. Married on 10/13/2019

Fall Wedding

My wife and I got married at Silver Hearth Lodge Oct. 2019 and we could not have asked for a better experience. Bob and his team are experts in the wedding field and take great pride in what they have created on top of the mountain. We did not have to worry about anything on our wedding day because of the great planning procedure Bob has in place.
    Lisa Married on 12/29/2018

Silver Hearth Lodge Splendor

I was M-O-G and wedding decorator/planner. Venue owner was amazingly helpful and the venue is Mother Nature's finest splendor. Hall was easy to doll up and the facilities and grounds offered something for everyone to explore. Awesome event at an incredible place.
    Cindy Married on 05/28/2017
    My daughter and her husband were married at Silver Hearth Lodge on 5/28/17. The lodge and surrounding hilltop are so beautiful. If you want an outdoor wedding this is the perfect location. The lawn area is expansive and the overlook area is a great place for cocktails. My daughter and her husband used the gazebo for their ceremony, but there is also a very small chapel, and the ceremony could be indoors if the weather does not cooperate. There is plenty to do if dancing and dining are not what your guests prefer - there are lots of wooded areas for hiking and exploring, a playground for any kids, a horseshoe pit, rocking chairs, and a great campfire for s'mores, and more. The owner, Bob, is a lot of fun to work with. He is also very organized and his checklist will assure that your event will run smoothly. He also knows lots of local vendors for anyone not from the area. I would definitely recommend Silver Hearth Lodge is you want a beautiful outdoor wedding!
    Amy Married on 09/10/2016
    My husband and I just had our wedding at the Silver Hearth Lodge on the 10th of September and we couldn't be happier with how it turned out. Bob and his staff went above and beyond to make sure the day was special. Starting with the pre-wedding consultation, Bob helped us meticulously go through the entire wedding, set by step, to ensure everything would go smoothly. When we ran out of white wine, Bob was there to pick up more. The entire staff was courteous, accommodating and focused on making sure our guests were taken care of. The venue itself was also spectacular with a breathtaking view of the mountains. The swings, rocking chairs, fire pit, lighting, bridal suite and open space were all big hits with our guests. SHL made it possible to have a larger wedding but still give the wedding a very intimate feel to it, something your typical wedding venue can't provide. Our day couldn't have gone any better! Big thanks to Bob and the entire SHL crew.
    Kara Married on 08/06/2016
    Tyler and I were lucky enough to get married at SHL on August 6th. The venue, Bob, and all SHL staff were AMAZING from start to finish. If you want a beautiful, unique venue with excellent customer service, than SHL is your place! We are still getting compliments about how amazing our venue was!
    Molly Married on 06/25/2016
    Bob is WONDERFUL! he works with you to make sure that all your Ts are cross and Is are dotted. Really a friendly guy who knows what he is doing. The venue itself if GORGEOUS! If you want a mountain top wedding this is the place to do it. All of our out of town guests keep telling me how perfect the view was overlooking the blueridge mountains. Not to mention that Bob is very affordable and has connections with many other vetted vendors in the area to get you preferred pricing. If I had to do it again I would get married here every single time!
    Glenn Married on 05/15/2016
    We had our wedding ceremony and reception at Silver Hearth Lodge in May of 2016. The experience was an exceptional one. We viewed other venues close to Roanoke, VA.; however, we knew this was the venue after our first visit. The beautiful and well kept grounds as well as the personality of the owner Bob Johnston made it a no brainer. We sincerely recommend this location to brides and grooms-to-be.

-Glenn and Munkhchimeg Donaldson
    Elizabeth Married on 05/14/2016
    Bob has been great to us and we can't wait to have our special day at the Silver Hearth Lodge! The venue is amazingly beautiful with all the options and possibilities to make your day everything you'd dream it to be. Bob treats his brides like their his own family so that everything goes smoothly! May 14, 2016 will be such a beautiful day! Thanks Bob!
    Ariana Married on 10/03/2015
    I had my wedding at Silver Hearth Lodge in October 2015 and it was truly an incredible experience. It is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. The mountain views are spectacular and unmatched compared to many other venues we visited. The scenery was the main reason we chose SHL for our wedding venue and ironic as it is, a hurricane came through on our wedding day. It rained the entire time and the outdoor wedding we had planned for the past year had to be moved inside. This hurricane could have been a total disaster, but honestly, Bob Johnston from Silver Hearth saved the day. It was unseasonably cold and pouring rain for days leading up to the wedding and the reception hall was open air on the sides and the front. Bob brought a construction crew up to the mountaintop to work around the clock in the days before my wedding to enclose the reception hall with removable glass panels so that the rain wouldn't come inside and the guests wouldn't freeze. I honestly can't imagine any other venue owner who would literally do construction on his venue in order to save your wedding. Bob helped me with my timeline, my food, DJ, ceremony, honestly down to the smallest detail he was always willing to chat on the phone or host us for a visit. I would recommend this venue to any bride and groom, near and far, because this is a magical place and you will be so happy you decided to get married on the mountaintop!
    E Married on 09/05/2015
    Wow! That's all I heard from our guests! What a fantastic venue for a wedding! I can't imagine having it anywhere else! Bob Johnston was absolutely wonderful to work with and very accommodating! He gave such attention to detail and had great suggestions for us! The venue is absolutely gorgeous and our photos were so beautiful with this venue as the backdrop. So very happy that we were able to have our wedding in such a spectacular place!
    Kelly Married on 05/02/2015
    My mom and I were first introduced to Silver Hearth Lodge after a snow storm in early April last year. Although the weather was less than ideal I immediately feel In love with the grounds and quickly knew this is where I would marry. Through the planning process a year out until the final guest left after the reception this venue NEVER disappointed. All of our guests have reiterated that it was the best wedding they had been to. I believe that the beauty of the venue mixed with the wonderful owner Bob made this wedding the best to date! We had such a great time and loved every minute. We cannot thank Bob enough for creating a space that allowed our dream wedding come true. Although I'm biased, I believe it was the best day ever! We love you Bob! Thanks for letting us bury the bourbon; it made all the difference ?

Love,

Kelly and Tim Brown
    Diane Married on 09/06/2014
    We recently held our daughter's wedding at Silver Hearth Lodge. We could not have been more pleased. Bob Johnston, the owner, was beyond helpful in making this day so special. Silver Hearth is beautiful and Is the perfect spot for any event. Bob will go out of his way to make everything run smoothly. He helped us from the day we booked. He gave vendor suggestions, pointed us to cost saving specialists, and answered non stop questions throughout our planning process. He is on site day of event and continues to provide help in any way he is able. He is the heart and soul of Silver Hearth. Bob, his staff and the venue setting make Silver Hearth Lodge the best wedding venue in the area. They are professional and approachable and just really great folks to work with on any type of event. Thanks to Bob and Silver Hearth our family will have amazing memories of such a special day for years to come!
    Jennifer Married on 07/19/2014
    Our wedding day was beyond perfect and it was in large part because of SHL and Bob Johnston. He went above and beyond the call of a venue owner. Bending over backwards to make sure everything was exactly how I envisioned it. I look forward to working with Bob on multiple occasions and am happy to have had my wedding at Silver Hearth Lodge.
    Steve Married on 06/21/2014
    Do yourself a favor- Do not just take my word for Silver Hearth Lodge! Please call Bob Johnston and schedule a time to visit and talk with him and to see the unique beauty and majesty of this venue with your own eyes! Your wedding will be set apart from others you've attended. Your special day will be completely unique!
    Jessica Married on 10/22/2016
    My husband and I recently had the best day of our lives at Silver Hearth Lodge. We were married at the wrought iron gazebo overlooking the Roanoke Valley and the area in which we both grew up. The weather was windy and cold that day, but our hearts were warm with the magic in the air. Vista View Hall housed our reception, blocking out the wind and cold with the convenient strata-glass and roaring heaters and hearths. The dance floor came alive with SHL's most recommended DJ Doug Epps with 2 Burgs Music, and the bar staff Pam and Staci were on point the entire evening. Bob was always easy to work with, and aided abundantly in the planning phase with all of his suggestions and experience. It was everything we hoped it could be, and so many of our guests told us it was the best wedding they had ever been to! We couldn't help but agree.
    Danielle Married on 09/18/2016
    Bob at Silver Hearth Lodge is amazing! We had an absolutely beautiful wedding that people have not stopped talking about. It was so unique and completely catered to us. I was able to focus on little details because Bob had all the big picture stuff taken care of and this was the magic combination to give us our dream wedding. Perfect climate for an outdoor wedding and a great rain plan just in case. We were able to relax and enjoy our day so much more than I had imagined because of how well everything was set up and organized to just flow perfectly!

My one thing was the price, for what you get I think it is worth it but there are a lot of extra things that can add up. You totally don't need any of them so its not a big deal but would be neat if things didn't have to add up like that when it doesn't really add any cost to the establishment.

We were very happy to see discounts for certain days and that made it possible for us to have our wedding here. Overall an absolutely amazing experience and I would definitely recommend!
    Janelle L. Married on 08/21/2021

Detailed, personable, willing to compromise, had recommendations for other vendors, provided multiple checklists, responsive to emails and questions

The owner of the lodge was amazing in helping us make our day run smoothly. He was very detailed oriented and made sure we had all the details that we needed. He also had a special surprise for our send off which was a nice personal touch!
  • Emma
    Emma G. Married on 09/24/2020

Best place ever!

Bob at Silver Hearth made sure our wedding was perfect. They have thought of everything possible to make weddings go as perfectly as possible down to having extra bobby-pins in the bridal suite. The venue is rustic with gorgeous overlooks and it’s private, which made our wedding day truly special and unique. We are truly thankful and blessed to have had our wedding here!
  • Mariah
    Mariah H. Married on 06/20/2019

Beautiful wedding venue

This was the best venue we could have asked for! Bob, the owner, is very organized and was there to make sure everything went just right! All of our guests were blown away with all of the beautiful views and neat things inside. They had everything we needed and more!
    Alexandria Married on 10/09/2016
    We had our wedding on October 9th at SHL and it was beautiful. The air was very cold but Bob had blankets and outdoor heaters (for rent). He even closed up the walls to try to block the wind before the event and would have moved our ceremony inside if it had been raining.

Bob is very thorough and really helps plan your event. He suggested vendors, used a detailed wedding consultants guide, and was available for several visits. Bob listens to guests and is constantly making improvements. We are very satisfied with our choice of venue and enjoyed our wedding at SHL.
    Jen Married on 10/08/2017
    Silver Hearth Lodge was a beautiful setting for our wedding. You can see multiple mountain ranges from the top of the mountain. Unfortunately my wedding was in the middle of a tropical storm so the fog was too intense to see anything. However, Bob did an amazing job in tracking the weather and finding a 30 minute gap to have the ceremony outside with no rain. Bob was great to work with and was very flexible with how we wanted everything set up. Unfortunately, there were a lot of "Like us on Facebook" signs throughout the venue that I thought would better be left outside of the venue space or at least removable so you're wedding isn't an advertisement. There was an option to remove the signs however the option was pretty expensive. Overall, the venue was perfect for our wedding despite all the rain.