Shelly Pate Photography Reviews

48 | Washington, DC

48 Reviews for Shelly Pate Photography

Maria · Getting married on 04/19/2024

Look no further...Shelly and Patrick are not only exceptional photographers through their expertise and professionality, but they are incredible human beings. Other than your spouse, you spend the most time with your photographer on your wedding day- Shelly was so joyful, flexible, and made us feel so special on our day. Shelly went above and beyond throughout the whole process, we had a pre-wedding phone call where she literally took the ideas in my head made them into an organized event timeline and scouted my venue so that she could capture all that it had to offer. Shelly made the most of our time and was able to get the attention of our bridal party, families, and little ones so that we could spend the most time celebrating and not posing for photos. I am so excited by our sneak peek photos and can’t wait to see the rest. She has an absolute incredible eye and is so fun. There are a lot of great photographers out there, but truly feel that Shelly is the best.

Sent on 08/14/2018

Shelly Pate Photography's reply:

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us Maria!! We LOVED being a part of you and Patrick's special day and getting to know you two! We still cannot get over how incredible everything was and are just gushing over the photos = )

Lauren · Married on 10/10/2020

Frolicking in Old Town

We had a great experience with Shelly last week for our engagement photos, and the sneak peeks are fantastic. Definitely looking forward to seeing everything! Shelly has a great eye, wonderfully fun personality, and is extremely responsive (despite my last min requests and pleas for outfit advice). She put both of us at ease, and even my fiance (who hates posing for pics) had a great time. Highly recommend!

Sent on 10/17/2019

Renata A. · Married on 01/18/2020

Shelly is wonderful!

Shelly came recommended to me by a friend, and I'm so grateful! Shelly's an extremely talented photographer, and we are so thrilled with how the photos turned out. But even beyond that, she was a huge part of how the day came together for us! Shelly recommended other fantastic vendors, and was instrumental in helping us map out a timeline that worked well. She was a calming, fun, and professional presence throughout! Even though she literally had to photograph outside in rain, sleet, and snow, Shelly kept us on track and the creativity flowing - and now we have some really lovely images to help us remember a really lovely day.

Sent on 02/07/2020
  • Megan

Megan · Married on 10/19/2019

Spectacular photographer!

Shelly was amazing! She did our engagement photos and our wedding photos! She is so personable and extremely
    Talented. She was also very flexible. On wedding day she went to the hotel, then to the national gallery of art for first look and bride/groom photos, and bridal party photos, then to Jefferson memorial for the ceremony, and then to top of the town for our reception. She took so many amazing photos, and got specific shots that I asked for! I only have a few sneak peeks now since I only got married a few weeks ago. See for yourself how incredible she is!

Sent on 11/09/2019
  • Kathryn

Kathryn S. · Married on 10/18/2019

We loved working with Shelly!

My husband and I used Shelly as our wedding photographer for a non-traditional elopement - we got married in our backyard without any guests. Shelly was AWESOME from the first time I contacted her to get pricing and was super flexible with creating a custom package that worked for our day. We ended up doing portraits at the arboretum before a private ceremony in our backyard - and all the pictures are AMAZING!!! We actually opted not to do an engagement shoot since our wedding was so low key, but we still felt super comfortable from the moment we started taking pics with Shelly. She had made time to meet up with us a few months before to get to know our vision, and was always available via email whenever I had a logistics questions (our plans for where we would elope changed a few times). We also had a call the week of the wedding to run through our final plans and timing of everything and knew we'd be in great hands the day of.

We ended up with a ridiculous number of beautiful pictures. We are SO SO SO happy we used Shelly and would highly recommend her as an exceptional wedding photographer.

Sent on 12/04/2019
  • Katie

Katie · Married on 10/12/2019

Artistic, gorgeous pictures!

Shelly made us feel so at ease during our engagement photo shoot and wedding pictures. She captured everything with a beautiful, unique perspective. I strongly recommend her services!! She is the utmost professional, very prepared and excellent at her craft.

Sent on 10/13/2019

Jacqueline · Married on 08/10/2019

Great experience -- love the photos

Shelly was a joy to work with. We hired her based on the great photos on her website and in particular that she captured the joy and love very well and in a natural way. We were not disappointed. She was very easy to work with, guided us well, and most importantly, I LOVE the photos. Her pricing is very straightforward and reasonable and all the high res photos were easily available for download. Highly recommend.

Sent on 02/19/2019

Jill · Married on 08/03/2019

Shelly is one of THE most amazing and talented photographers I've ever met. She made me and my fiance feel at ease and talked us through the whole shoot so we felt comfortable and were having FUN! She had such a way of capturing us so naturally and in our element. The photos came out so natural looking and didn't have that overly "posed" look to them that most engagement photos have. She really captured the essence of us as a couple. What I also love about Shelly's photography is her editing style. It is so gorgeous - some words I would use to describe it are warm, natural, earthy, boho, timeless. I cannot recommend her work enough. She is seriously a goddess with a camera. Thank you SO much Shelly, for giving us photos that we will cherish forever.

Sent on 04/19/2018

Abby H. · Married on 07/26/2019

Cannot recommend highly enough!

Having Shelly photograph our wedding was one of the absolute best choices we made. She is completely lovely to be around and was such a calming presence throughout the day. She went above and beyond in all aspects and was really flexible to our vision. Her photographs are gorgeous and captured our wedding day in a genuine, natural style. Having her as part of the day and the photos she created were such a gift to us.

Sent on 09/28/2019
  • Rajni

Rajni R. · Married on 06/08/2019

Would recommend in a heart beat!

We had an interfaith/cross-cultural wedding, and it was very important that we found someone who could capture the different aspects of our wedding. Shelly nailed it, and we cherish her photos more than we can express. She just has knack for capturing the authentic love of the couple before her - nothing forced or awkward - just all the good, goofy, and sweet moments. Shelly is a talent, and a pleasure to work with. And shout out to her assistant/husband Patrick, who also does a fantastic job!

Sent on 01/24/2020

Helen · Married on 05/18/2019

One of our best wedding decisions was hiring Shelly

I usually hate photos of myself, and I was very nervous about taking photos for our wedding and engagement. Both at our engagement session and at our wedding, Shelly and her husband Patrick were so kind and flexible and put us right at ease. She made taking all our group photos a breeze and kept everything on schedule. We LOVED our engagement photos and I’m counting down the days until we can see our wedding pictures!

Sent on 04/07/2019

Brittany K. · Married on 03/20/2019

Amazing experience! Highly recommend!

Shelly did a boudoir session for me and completely blew me away! It has been quite a few years since being in front of a camera so naturally I was a little hesitant. From our first email to the day of the shoot Shelly was very professional and responsive. She made me feel super comfortable was super patient with me and gave clear directions on how to move around and pose resulting in some amazing shots!

Sent on 03/20/2019

Megan · Married on 11/10/2018

Shelly is a pro!

Shelly was an absolute doll to work with for our wreath making workshop! You know you've got a pro when she can capture the amazing photos that she did and build a gorgeous wreath. We can't wait to work with her again!

Sent on 12/08/2018
  • Stephanie

Stephanie · Married on 10/06/2018

Amazing!!!

Shelly was so so great to work with! Instead of doing an engagement photo session, we did a bridal photo session. I thought it might be awkward but Shelly made me feel extremely comfortable. She was flexible on the shoot location, and also had lots of great ideas. On our wedding day, Shelly was super responsive to our needs and knew exactly what shots to get based on our previous conversations. She and her husband were well prepared, professional, and fun to be around! We just received our photos this week, and I can't stop looking at them. She has a natural eye for composition. Our first look shots are my absolute favorite, I thinks he captured our relationship beautifully. I would definitely recommend Shelly!

Sent on 11/12/2018

Lauren · Married on 09/29/2018

HIGHLY recommend

Love love love this girl. She has a gift and if you are lucky enough to have her share it with you, you will be forever grateful. She captures the raw moments, formal poses, and everything in between. We wanted a more natural, capture the moment kind of photographer and that is exactly what she did. She will be one of the most important aspects of your wedding. She brings a very calm, salt of the earth kind of vibe and I can't recommend her more. I will absolutely use again with pregnancy and children in the future.

Sent on 10/15/2018
  • Allison

Allison · Married on 09/15/2018

Helpful, relaxed, and fun!

Shelly is the absolute best! We love all of our pictures so much. They are perfect. Her husband Patrick was our second photographer and they worked so well together. Our engagement photos happened to take place outside in early February and it was about 12 degrees at our sunrise session. The fact that they were willing to do that for us says a lot! Also my husband and I didn’t have a great timeline set up for the getting ready portion of our wedding day and Shelly really helped us with that. I’m so happy we chose her as our photographer!

Sent on 07/29/2019

Liv · Married on 09/01/2018

Shelly was our photographer for our recent wedding in September. I can not express in words what a wonderful job she did with our photography! From the moment we first saw her photos online, we knew that she was the one! It was really great to get to know her prior to the wedding and she is beyond personable and showed genuine effort and interest in getting to know our personalities. I really think that made the difference in being able to capture who we are in her photography.

Skip ahead to our wedding day and OH.MY.GOD. I am blown away by her talent. We were able to get previews just a couple of days after we got married and less than 2 weeks later, she was able to provide us a substantial amount of photos to enjoy while we were on our honeymoon! If you haven't checked out her Instagram and facebook pages for samples of her photography, please go now! She has incredible talent and I have never felt more beautiful than I have in her photos! She truly captured the wonderment of that day (including getting soaked in the rain with us!!!) and I couldn't have asked for more! THANK YOU SHELLY!

Sent on 09/25/2018

Molly · Married on 07/28/2018

Shelly was amazing! The photos were breathtaking and our entire gallery was sent to us within two weeks from our wedding day. She even went back after giving us our gallery and edited a photo that I wanted in color instead of black and white. Shelly [and her husband Patrick] was so easy to work with and made picture taking so comfortable! We would highly recommend her!

Sent on 08/16/2018

Jessica · Married on 04/28/2018

Shelly was an amazing photographer to work with (and her second shooter Patrick) and I enjoyed getting to know them over our engagement session and wedding day. Her photos from our engagement and wedding sessions were gorgeous-- exactly what I was looking for. We did our engagement session in DC at the national arboretum, but she was open to letting me choose the venue. We spoke the week before to go over details and timeline and she made sure she had a list of photos I definitely wanted (and what family members to include). The getting ready photos, ceremony, reception, couple, and sparkler exit photos were great. She gave me a flash drive of all the photos quickly after, and always gave me a sneak peek gallery within 1-2 days! I would highly recommend Shelly Pate photography for wedding, engagement, and couples photo sessions! She was my favorite vendor-- very friendly and easy to work with.

Sent on 05/11/2018

Shelly Pate Photography's reply:

Aw thank you Jess for your sweet review! I loved getting to know you and J.R. and your family and friends! You guys are such wonderful people and your day was absolutely gorgeous. I am like continually smiling while I am editing !
  • I

Irene · Married on 04/06/2018

I had a fantastic engagement photo shoot with Shelly. She is an amazing photographer! I loved how my pictures came out and it was an incredibly afforable deal. Definitely don’t rely on your amateur photographer friends. Get a pro like Shelly!

Sent on 05/15/2018

Germeen · Married on 02/10/2018

Patrick and Shelly are one amazing duo! From my first conversation with Shelly over the phone I knew we just had to have them shoot our wedding (and mind you, I had been on over a dozen calls with photographers all day). It was the best decision we made. We got a sneak peak of our wedding this past weekend, and our friends can’t stop raving about how they look like they belong in a magazine. Yesssss, Shelly is THAT good! Her and Patrick are fun, personable, and professional. Shelly took it upon herself to both meet with me to review the Coptic orthodox wedding tradition and come to the rehearsal to scope out the layout. She and Patrick held umbrellas for me and kept my spirits uplifted when it was raining and I was worried about our outdoor photo location. They knew how to direct the shoot so that my dress wouldn’t get muddy before the reception. They deserve alllll the stars and if you’re reading this, hire them! It’s the best decision to entrust them with capturing the most important day in your journey as a married couple!

Sent on 02/15/2018
  • Sarah

Sarah · Married on 11/11/2017

Book her now! Shelly was absolutely amazing to work with for our engagement shoot and wedding! She is so friendly and instantly made us comfortable in front of the camera. She did a wonderful job capturing all the big moments of our wedding, but also all the little, special moments when I didn't even know she was around! I feel like she was really able to capture all the emotions of our wedding day! I smile just thinking about our wedding gallery. Shelly is the best!

Sent on 01/02/2018

Lauren · Married on 10/28/2017

She was wonderful! An absolute pleasure to work with- she is so cute and friendly :) Her pictures turn out AMAZING! I couldn't be happier.

Sent on 12/06/2017

Allison · Married on 10/21/2017

Shelly was absolutely wonderful to work with! She made us so comfortable during our engagement shoot and on our wedding day, we really enjoyed getting to know her. Shelly was extremely responsive to all inquiries and was very helpful the day of. She got so many shots I wouldn’t have even expected, it was so exciting going through our photo gallery and seeing the final products. We are so pleased with our photos and think she did a phenomenal job capturing our day. I would not think twice about recommending her to anyone looking for a photographer, she’s awesome!!

Sent on 11/29/2017