49 Reviews for Saint Thomas Preservation Hall

Indoor (13)
Event Rentals (9)
Lighting/Sound (3)
49 Saint Thomas Preservation Hall Reviews

Saint Thomas is one of the most beautiful venues in town! The exposed brick and location make it a perfect place to have the most romantic ceremony, and fun reception. We didn't have to worry about the weather being an issue because we hosted everything inside, even the cocktail hour on the bottom floor. And it is also sooo convenient; we walked around for pictures, we went to a bar after the reception was over, we went to have dinner after the rehearsal, and we did everything walking because everything is so close! The Saint Thomas crew is amazing, Heather answered all of our questions and helped with the flip (transform the ceremony space into the reception in an hour can be nerve wracking but they have lots of experience!) We are happy and very thankful, and wouldn't choose another venue for our special and perfect day! Thomas and Pamela.

Photo for Saint Thomas Preservation Hall Review - Arbor and alcove's decorations
Photo for Saint Thomas Preservation Hall Review - Ceremony
Photo for Saint Thomas Preservation Hall Review - Ceremony
Photo for Saint Thomas Preservation Hall Review - Reception
Profile Picture Pamela, 3/30/18, 3 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Saint Thomas is a gorgeous venue, inside and out. Heather is beyond amazing! From start to finish of planning and throughout the wedding she was very knowledgeable, helpful, organized, and lifted so much off our shoulders in terms of the day of. I highly recommend her services if utilizing Saint Thomas. Poppy, all of the staff, and bartenders were fantastic as well. I couldn't have asked for a better day and people to work with!

Profile Picture Jacqueline, 11/11/17, 3 Reviews
Services Used: Event Rentals, Chairs, Indoor

Wonderful venue!! Very little needed to dress this place up! Beautiful brick inside along with 2 alcoves (needs flowers). The wedding coordinator (Heather) was a joy to work with! She knows her stuff! And was able to make sure everything ran smoothly! Highly recommend paying for the on day coordinator service as they work there and know the most about the venue.

Profile Picture Amanda, 10/7/17, 2 Reviews
Services Used: Chairs, Event Rentals, Indoor

Saint Thomas was the perfect venue for my wedding! I always wanted to get married in a church, so Saint Thomas had the church feel without going through all the red tape of being a member of the church, religion, etc. The brick and stained glass windows are gorgeous! Since most of my guests were from out of town, having the ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception all in one location was indispensable! I even got ready there too! I used Heather as my day-of coordinator and she was responsive, organized, and ensured the day ran smoothly! Saint Thomas is a truly unique venue that you can make your own!

Profile Picture Holli, 8/26/17, 5 Reviews
Services Used: Indoor, Event Rentals, Chairs

The team at Saint Thomas Preservation Hall is truly one of a kind. The venue is absolutely stunning. It's location was perfect-two blocks from the river walk and in the center of downtown provided our guests with the opportunity to explore Wilmington. We worked closely with Heather, the coordinator. I could not recommend her day-of coordination services enough. She took care of EVERYTHING (plus some) and the day flowed effortlessly as a result. Her eye for detail and decor made our day more beautiful than I could have ever dreamed! If you are looking for catering for your event at Saint Thomas Preservation Hall, I highly recommend The City Club; our guests could not stop talking about how amazing the food was!!

Profile Picture Whitney, 5/27/17, 4 Reviews
Services Used: Indoor, Chairs

We loved this venue! It was absolutely beautiful for our ceremony, reception, and cocktail hour. Our guests really enjoyed being there!

Profile Picture Natalie, 4/30/17, 1 Review
Services Used: Chairs, Indoor, Event Rentals

Beautiful venue with exceptional service. Heather and her entire team was more than accommodating and flexible for every one of our needs. We never felt like we were not being taken care of and Heather was always there keeping us on task and the bar stocked. The venue was perfect size and intimate for ~125 guests and the acoustics made it possible to speak with or without microphones. The venue and surrounding area provide great locations for wedding photos and is in an amazing location downtown which was walkable for a majority of our guests. We couldn't have been more happy with our experience with St. Thomas.

Profile Picture Chris, 4/16/17, 2 Reviews
Services Used: Event Rentals, Chairs

Heather and Poppy are amazing.

Profile Picture Samantha, 4/9/17, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

I don't believe if I can thank the staff enough, for how much I am in love with how well my wedding went. People always ask you what went wrong and I can say thanks to Heather working as my coordinator I do not know of any hiccups that happened. The venue was stunning, they switched the space flawlessly from ceremony and reception, and the staff was impeccable. My husband and I keep saying we wish we could do it again for how well everything went and would highly recommend this venue and staff for any event! Thank you soooo much to the amazing staff for an unforgettable day.

Profile Picture Teresa, 3/4/17, 4 Reviews
Services Used: Event Rentals, Lighting/Sound, Indoor, Chairs

St. Thomas Preservation Hall is one of the most beautiful venues in downtown Wilmington! I would highly recommend it! As soon as we stepped foot inside the main hall to tour the venue, we knew immediately that we wanted to have our wedding reception there! My favorite aspects of the venue were the tall stained glass windows and exposed brick - it is absolutely beautiful. Pictures cannot do it justice. I also liked the fact that the venue has a separate downstairs space where we could have the cocktail hour before everyone made their way upstairs to the main hall for dinner. The staff that work at St. Thomas are also fantastic! They were very responsive and accommodating to my specific requests. I highly recommend this venue. Go see it for yourself!

Profile Picture User7900841, 1+ year ago, 4 Reviews
Services Used: Event Rentals, Indoor, Chairs

If you can get the space for you wedding i would jump on it!!! I shopped around and nothing beats the space, the time you get, the location, and most of all the cost. the whole experience was great from the time i met with poppy to the big day itself.

Profile Picture rebecca, 2/18/17, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location
Services Used: Indoor, Chairs

A must!!!! This venue is gorgeous and they left me with nothing to do on my end for the day of. They had everything set up just the way I wanted and it comes with tables and chairs. They allowed me to view the space multiple times throughout my engagement when I was planning. They are very helpful and respond very quickly to emails. I love this venue and would use it all over again. The bridal suite is so gorgeous and gave me and my girls the perfect spot to get ready.

Profile Picture Amber, 10/15/16, 2 Reviews
Services Used: Chairs, Indoor, Event Rentals

This venue was absolutely beautiful for my husband and I's recent wedding! We picked it because of it's unique beauty and it is seriously even more stunning in person! It was perfect for an indoor summer wedding and a great deal financially after researching close to a hundred venues around the southeast. (Not kidding!) My only reasons for not giving this a perfect review is sometimes the staff takes a little while to respond to emails. Also, we were told the City Club would be available for portraits included in rental price, then we were asked for a fee to take pictures there, then the inside was unavailable. Definitely use a day of coordinator and Heather Evans was incredible. Would highly highly recommend this venue for your big day!

Profile Picture Brittany, 7/8/16, 9 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

This was an amazing venue. Absolutely perfect.

Profile Picture User6931946, 1+ year ago, 3 Reviews
Services Used: Indoor, Chairs

Saint Thomas was an absolutely stunning venue for my daughter's wedding! It was great being able to have the ceremony and reception there. There's a large room downstairs where the guests can mingle for cocktails and horsdoeuvres after the ceremony while the staff prepare for the reception. Heather, our day coordinator was awesome and made sure everything ran smoothly from start to finish!

View Vendor Response
Profile Picture Lisa, 10/18/15, 2 Reviews
Services Used: Indoor, Event Rentals, Lighting/Sound, Chairs

STPH was the venue for our reception and the "back-up plan" for our ceremony in case it rained and we couldn't have our ceremony on the beach. Unfortunately, it rained and rained, and we ended up needing our back-up plan, but we could not have had a better place for that. Although we had already decorated for the reception the morning of, we made a last minute call to switch the ceremony to the reception hall, a phone call to the management and some of my family and friends pulling together, they created the most beautiful ceremony I have ever seen. Tears flowed down my face as I walked in for the ceremony with my dad, and saw my groom along with family & friends. The former church was absolutely gorgeous. We did little to decorate, as I wanted to keep things simple and affordable - plus it's gorgeous already. We did splurge on the Edison lights from High Performance Lighting in Wilmington - who I highly recommend! They were the icing on the cake. The management switched over just after we booked, but all communication went smoothly, our contract was honored, and everything went perfect. All emails and phone calls were answered quickly, even the day of with the last minute switch. The access code worked great when we arrived the morning of to decorate, and it was clear it was freshly cleaned. We had a Sunday wedding so street parking was free, and the lack of parking was not an issue for us. 1 of the reasons we booked this venue was so we could have our own caterer and provide our own alcohol - which saved us a ton of money. The only drawback was you can't get in to decorate until the morning of, but we had an army of women who pulled together and decorating took us less than an hour because the STPH staff already had all tables and chairs set up the way we had requested. Everything about this venue was perfect! No one was disappointed the beach wedding had been cancelled because they were blown away by the beauty of STPH. Grateful & Loved everything about it!

View Vendor Response
Profile Picture Julie, 9/27/15, 4 Reviews
Services Used: Indoor, Chairs

Very historic and so beautiful! I loved having my wedding here. It is classic, simple, elegant- all the things I wanted.

Profile Picture Stephanie, 8/8/15, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Saint Thomas Preservation Hall is beautiful! I live out of town and was unable to visit any of the Wilmington wedding venues before picking one. I picked STPH and honestly it is true to the photos. The rental hours are ideal and allow the wedding reception to last later than other venues. You can bring your own alcohol and choose your own vendors, which was important to us. I had read previous reviews and was worried about it being too hot (especially in late June), but if you keep the doors shut during the day then it isn't bad. The only downside was that Poppy was a bit difficult to get ahold of and didn't provide much help in terms of advice.

Profile Picture User4662560, 2+ years ago, 12 Reviews
4.7

St. Thomas was a beautiful venue for a great price! They had a great bridal suite downstairs for me and my bridesmaids to get ready in, a kitchen for the staff, and a cute balcony overlooking the main area to take some fun pictures with. They also had tables and chairs that they set up for us. I will say that since this venue is older, they were not very handicap-accessible so some of my older and/or wheelchair-bound guests had some difficulty getting to the bathrooms that were downstairs, but they said it didn't stop them from having a good time! Also, there was not a lot of parking, so guests had to pay at meters or parking decks, but that's the same for most places downtown. Overall it was definitely a great venue at a great price, right in the heart of beautiful downtown Wilmington!

Profile Picture User4551720, 2+ years ago, 7 Reviews
Services Used: Chairs, Lighting/Sound, Indoor

Absolutely stunning and staff was great. Everything went great! The staff were great to work with as well (planning wise).

Profile Picture Leah, 5/24/15, 4 Reviews
3.5

STPH is a beautiful place to get married. The building is so beautiful that there is little needed in decorations. As long as prices do not increase with the new ownership, this is the most affordable place to have a wedding and reception. The inclusion of tables and chairs make this even more affordable. Overall, this was a wonderful place for our wedding.

The only complaints we have would be related to a few changes that were made after we our original meeting. STPH was a non-profit when we originally signed our contract. It is under new ownership which meant some changes to what was originally available to our wedding party. There is no longer ANY parking available in the back or the driveway(I'm sorry, but the single concrete space by the door is not a parking space.). Even the caterers were surprised by the change. We weren't even allowed to take 10-15 minutes to unload decorations on the property. They had someone blocking the driveway and ready to give a ticket when unloading supplies. Despite what we were told, the parking is now for City Club employees only(this was obvious when they were leaving).

The original hardwood floors have been covered with laminate flooring which slightly changes the appearance and the overall charm of the historic building. We went in to do some measurements when the floors were being put in. I was told they were putting in new hardwood floors, but the boxes of flooring clearly stated laminate.

The bathrooms are downstairs, so if you have a family member who has mobility issues this will definitely be a problem. Neither one of my grandmothers could attend my wedding because getting up and down the stairs would have been very difficult...actually, it was impossible for them.

Profile Picture User5109204, 2+ years ago, 4 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

My contract ended up between new managements of the venue. The new owners upheld my contract and they let me have the entire space, even though my previous contract was for only part of the venue. They did not rent out only part of it, so I ended up with the whole thing. I was really disappointed in their inability to allow me to complete my 40 minute rehearsal the day before. The space was rented out before, which I get but, I wish they could have arranged a small block for me. The space was large, but a real blank slate and needed decorations in the cocktail hour space. The ceremony space was beautiful. Brick and stain glass windows. They offered up-lighting for free.

Profile Picture User4304306, 2+ years ago, 4 Reviews
3.8

St Thomas is an absolutely beautiful venue. For the price it is a great deal as you get the venue all day and tge space for brides to get ready is wonderful. I loved having my ceremony, cocktail hour and reception all in the same place. With that said, I did have a couple issues. They weren't very helpful in setting up a rehearsal time, and when we did finally reserve a time, we were told a week before the rehearsal that they had booked an event at the time of our rehearsal. This caused us to have to reschedule our dinner as well. Luckily we had gone with just a restaurant and not a rented space. The other issue I had, was that they set up a tour of the venue while I was getting ready and setting up. This was just a slight annoyance, but had I been in the process of getting dressed or if it were during the wedding, it would have been a huge issue for me. It also caused the couple there to tour some embarrassment. If you can deal with these small inconsiderations, it really is a beautiful venue at a great value.

Profile Picture Rachel, 2/15/15, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Great venue, and best bang for your buck in Wilmington!

Profile Picture Jennifer, 11/8/14, 4 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Having our reception at Saint Thomas was like entering a beautiful dream. The historic look of the wood floors, huge brick walls, and giant stained glass windows made this venue romance heaven. Besides the tables and a few areas of decoration, there is not much needed here - the venue speaks for itself. What you pay for the time you receive is truly unbeatable, and on top of that they provide the chairs and tables! It was a great size for our 100 guests - incredibly intimate, which providing a large amount of space. Saint Thomas was more than we could have ever asked for. The Staff was also incredible - everything was set up the way we wanted, and they were so helpful and attentive through the planning process. HIGHLY recommend!!

Profile Picture Macy, 9/20/14, 11 Reviews