Ptarmigan Classical and Rock String Quartet Reviews

39 | Boulder, CO

39 Reviews for Ptarmigan Classical and Rock String Quartet

Christine · Married on 08/02/2008

We had two cellists play for our ceremony. The music was lovely and it was very easy to work with Vicki.

Sent on 08/18/2008

Dan · Married on 06/07/2008

The Ptarmigan Sting Quartet did an outstanding job at our wedding! They were prompt and professional and their attendance at our rehearsel was very helpful. Highly recommended!!!

Sent on 06/10/2008

Jaime · Married on 09/25/2007

These talented ladies made our ceremony magical. Our guests could not stop talking about how elegant our wedding event was and the music was a big part of it. I would highly recommend anyone consider adding this touch of class to any wedding day.

Sent on 09/29/2007

Very easy to work with. Thoroughly documented song lists, order of service, etc. Came to rehearsal to be sure we were all on the same page with order of service. Played all requested songs beautifully. Highly recommend.

Sent on 07/30/2015

Joanna · Married on 09/10/2011

We were beyond impressed with the professionalism and talent your string quartet possesses. Everything was exactly the way we had imagined it for our wedding. It was fun to see the expressions on our guests' faces when they recognized the modern songs being played during our cocktail hour, which really brought something special to the atmosphere. We wish we could get married every weekend to have you play for us again!! :)

Sent on 09/13/2011

Shelby · Married on 08/15/2010

My husband and I really lucked out with every vendor for our wedding, but the Ptarmigan String Quartet particularly stood out as a gem in the mix. As musicians ourselves, we searched high and low for the perfect musical accompaniment to our ceremony and cocktail hour--and were delighted when we found this quartet. We had numerous guests come up to us and compliment their beautiful playing. Vicki, my contact, was extremely organized and stayed on top of all the details throughout the planning process, which certainly came in handy on the day of the wedding when I had little time to help with specifics. They were very reasonably priced, which we appreciated, and even catered to a few musical requests I had made. Overall, we were very pleased!

Sent on 08/30/2010

Lucas · Married on 06/11/2016

We would highly recommend Ptarmigan for several reasons. First, they were pleasant to work with. Second, they were every bit as professional as we would have hoped for. Last, they impressed us with a custom arrangement of a piece by Ludovico Einaudi and charged, what seemed to us, an impossibly low premium for this service. They took it from piano to string quartet and it sounded every bit as magical as we imagined.

Sent on 06/15/2016

Ptarmigan Classical and Rock String Quartet's reply:

Dear Lucas and Hollie, thank you for your kind review. We appreciate your taking time to leave your comments. Best Wishes for your future!

Krystal · Married on 05/09/2009

Ptarmigan Strings did an outstanding job at our ceremony. Vicki was amazing to work with, very responsive and flexible. THANKS!

Sent on 05/18/2009

Elle · Married on 08/16/2008

3.5

Great Group. Everyone was great and very professional. While we had planned for an outdoor wedding, and had to move it indoors the day of the wedding, the trio we booked did a terrific job making sure everything was ready to go. Perfect music for the perfect day!

Sent on 08/25/2008

John · Married on 03/12/2011

The Ptarmigan Quartet was a big hit. We got lots of compliments especially on their performance of contemporary music. The price was comparable to other options, although we only had them for 3 hours between the ceremony and reception. We would definitely recommend them.

Sent on 03/14/2011
  • Laura

Laura · Married on 05/30/2010

3.5

We had the string DUO and they did a fantastic job. I really liked that one of the members came for the rehearsal so we could get a feel for how our wedding day would go. They would respond quickly to my requests and were a pleasure to work with.

Sent on 06/02/2010

Dear Laura,
    Thanks so much for your nice comments. We enjoyed performing
    your music. We spend extra time and travel expenses to travel to wedding venues two times in order to attend wedding rehearsals. This provides an outstanding value for our clients because this helps assure that everything will go very smoothly on wedding day. Most musicians do not take the time and travel expense to attend wedding rehearsals. We do because we are determined to provide the best service possible. Thanks again!

Jordan · Married on 07/25/2010

4.2

The music was wonderful and Vicki worked with the officiant to make sure everything was perfect.

Sent on 08/09/2010

Ptarmigan Classical and Rock String Quartet's reply:

Dear Jordan, Thanks so much for your nice comments. We enjoyed working with you and performing your music at Stone Mountain on July 25th, including also attending your wedding rehearsal. We consider our service a great value since we made two trips to your wedding venue in order to attend wedding your wedding rehearsal. Having your musicians represented and available at your rehearsal made timing more perfect (our accompaniment of your poem worked out perfectly), and allowed you to make last minute changes knowing that your musicians would be on track with all last minute changes since they were there. Thanks again for inviting Ptarmigan to perform your wedding music. Best Wishes!

Natalia · Married on 05/28/2017

3.0

I reviewed a lot of different live music options for the ceremony for my wedding before finally settling on Ptarmigan String Quartet. I liked the samples on their site, as well as their ability to play everything from contemporary music to Irish jigs. I'll say this: they are very professional and took all my song requests in stride and executed them well. However, the fact that they require a 10'x10' canopy if they're outside (which is often the case for ceremonies), but don't own one and can't get one — means either a huge extra rental cost for me, or a significant amount of time/labor devoted to borrowing one and setting it up (I opted for the latter). And then I had a bridesmaid come to me saying they were requesting for it to be set up on the other side of the altar, even though there was no space for the canopy there. I really don't need more details to worry about, especially since they ended up unable to sent someone to rehearsal (as promised online). Just something to consider. I would assume a professional group would come with all the equipment they'd need.

Sent on 05/31/2017

Ptarmigan Classical and Rock String Quartet's reply:

Dear Natalia, thanks for taking your valuable time to leave a review for us. We enjoyed working with you and we're very happy that you were pleased with our music --- which is the most important thing of all. Free of charge, we try to have one musician attend wedding rehearsals if our schedule allows. Unfortunately, a last minute family emergency kept me from attending. I had to help out with a situation beyond my control, and the other musicians are located an hour away from the venue. I apologize. We try hard to do this when we can. Since stringed instruments cost many thousands of dollars, they can't be exposed to sun and rain without the threat of getting ruined. We appreciated the pop-up canopy! Many wedding venues provide permanent enclosures or pop-up canopies to protect both DJ's and musicians for outdoor weddings. This is so considerate of them and helps everyone. Our suggestion to set up on a hard surface, rather than on very wet grass was motivated by our desire to produce the best quality volume and sound for your music. Grass, especially very wet grass, absorbs the sound rather than reflects the sound like cement or stone surfaces. Thanks again for your review. Best Wishes for a very happy future!

Catherine · Married on 07/17/2010

3.6
      2.0

The music they played was lovely and they even learned a new song for us and everyone commented about how great the string quartet was and they really enjoyed the music that was played. However, I wish there was a box above to check for "difficult to work with" because our main problem was working with their group leader and it's the only reason I can't give a 5 out of 5. That is why I gave a 2 for professionalism, because that is the only place it makes sense to put it. Their leader was challenging to work with. She was demanding and pushy and in the end I didn't want to deal with her, I let my brother and husband deal with her. I can only assume that one reason she was so pushy with us is that she's dealt with bridezillas before and has been burned, so I understand wanting to cover yourself. She certainly was very thorough which I prefer over someone who doesn't have their act together. But her thoroughness bordered on badgering and was an extreme annoyance. The final straw for me of her demands was during the reception, the quartet was going to eat from our buffet, but instead of sitting down in back with the caterers, they demanded a table and chairs. By "they" I mean their group leader. Apparently it was very awkward, my brother handled it. By that time some of our guests had already left so there was room for the quartet to eat at a table, but everyone I've talked to from the event and catering world say that is not done. The people working at your wedding don't sit with the guests. Even the caterer for us thought it was out of line. Thankfully I was not aware of this during the reception (although I noticed them sitting at a table and thought that was odd), I found out the details the next day. So, overall they were great in terms of the music and thoroughness, but dealing with them was difficult and I don't know that'd I'd work with her again.

Sent on 08/09/2010

Dear Catherine and Mark,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our musical performance at your lovely Denver Botanic Gardens Wedding Ceremony and Reception on July 17, 2010. We appreciate your kind comments on the quality of our music! Providing you with beautiful music, including a special musical arrangement of one of your favorite songs, was our goal and we're very pleased that you enjoyed our performance.

We are sorry that our detail-oriented service felt uncomfortable to you. In order to organize all the details required to perform for this length of time, a few rounds of emails and phone calls are needed to make sure that we understand all the logistics, and know ahead of time exactly what you expect from us on wedding day, especially when a formal wedding rehearsal is not held. With respect to the dinner that you graciously provided us at 8 PM, we felt that sitting down at an empty table would allow us to eat faster and be more comfortable. Over the past 15 years in business, clients who have invited us to eat or stay for their dinner-receptions after cocktail hour, have asked us to sit down at a table -- either among their guests, or at our own designated table. So, in our experience, we have always been treated with the same regard as guests and this has been greatly appreciated. Performing music for 4 hours requires tremendous energy and skill. It was terribly hot that day (over a 100 degreesl), and after 3 hours of playing, we truly needed a comfortable, short break. We thought that sitting down close to where we were set up would expedite the break so that we could get back to playing music. It is very difficult to eat standing up, or being expected to leave the area and eat somewhere away from our instruments and belongings. So, after getting permission, two of the five of us musicians sat down at an empty table near our instruments so we could eat quickly, and so we could keep an eye on instruments, purses, etc.

All in all, we enjoyed meeting and working with you both and we are grateful that you enjoyed our music.

Best Wishes for a long happy marriage and life together!

Lynne, Kathy, Marilyn, Vicki, and Steve