Plated Events by Chef Jason Collis Reviews

24 | Santa Paula, CA

24 Reviews for Plated Events by Chef Jason Collis

Grace · Married on 02/15/2019

I hope I get to eat this again!

The food was absolutely delicious! We were able to choose a set number of apps, entrees, sides. We were able to choose whatever we wanted from their menu so our menu had a little bit of everything and wasn’t all strictly Italian or Mexican food. I loved that we were able to give our guests a variety of food and everything was absolutely delicious!

Sent on 10/25/2018
  • Nancy

Nancy · Married on 11/10/2018

Food was amazing!

The tasting was so hard as we had so many great options to pick from! The food was amazing the day of! Salad was plated quite quickly and the buffet style was also done fairly quick - no backed up lines.

Sent on 11/14/2018
  • Ashley

Ashley · Married on 10/20/2018

The best part of our wedding!

Plated Events was the absolute best choice for our wedding. Teri was an absolute dream to work with and her counterpart Jocelyn was amazing. Between the both of them, I never questioned or doubted what was happening for our wedding. This isn't just a catering company - they are far beyond that. They helped with so much and made the process so smooth.

From the very first email, I felt at ease with Teri and the team. They treated my wedding as if it was their own and I can not thank Plated Events enough. It truly was a dream and it's because of them that my wedding was magical.

Sent on 06/03/2019

Nicole Bouvet · Married on 10/13/2018

Delicious and amazing!

Plated Events catered our wedding at Limoneira Ranch and we were so happy with them! Food was INCREDIBLE- it was hard to narrow down options during our tasting because it was all good. Austin took care of everything the night of and made sure our glasses were always full and was so accommodating. All of the servers were great and on top of things as well. Teri and Jocelyn were so easy to work with- quick to get back to emails and answering any questions we had. Definitely recommend!

Sent on 01/19/2019

Becca · Married on 10/06/2018

Delicious!

Working with Plated was so great! During the planning process, they were always so responsive and accommodating--they even made sure that everything was gluten free for our wedding! All of our guests could not stop talking about how delicious the food was, which is rare for wedding food! The staff were very friendly and professional the day of and we couldn't have been happier working with Plated!

Sent on 11/12/2018

Robert · Married on 09/29/2018

Best Day Ever!

The staff at Plated Events was very easy to work with. Teri was quick to reply to emails, Austin and the rest of the staff were very helpful on the day of, Tim was a superstar and ran our bar like a champ, and best of all, the food was absolutely delicious! There are tons of options to choose from for the menu - we loved what we picked and felt it went perfectly with our style and with the rustic feel of the venue. Plated Events helped make our wedding the best day of our lives, and we highly recommend them.

Sent on 01/19/2019

Lisa · Married on 07/07/2018

Working with Plated Events was an absolute delight. Everyone on staff were super organized, professional, and helpful. They were one of our best vendors! I highly recommend Plated Events!

Sent on 08/22/2018

Cynthia & Julio · Married on 04/21/2018

From start to finish the food at my wedding was amazing. The tasting was so fun for us and our parents. Austin presented everything so beautifully. There was a huge selection to choose from and honestly not a single thing we ordered to try was bad. We chose our favorites and the day of the wedding EVERYONE talked about how delicious the food was!!

Sent on 05/14/2018

Elisa · Married on 04/14/2018

After calling several caterers and event planners, I came across Plated Events. From my initial connection and communication with Teri, at Plated Events, through the delicious, personal tasting, with Chef Jason, to preparation, planning and rentals, with Teri, Austin and Nikki...leading up to our beautiful wedding day, every detail was perfectly orchestrated by Plated Events!!! I would highly recommend the Plated Events team for any of your special upcoming events!

Sent on 05/04/2018

We used Limoneira Ranch as our wedding venue with Plated Events as our caterer and we were very pleased with the stunningly beautiful outdoor venue, great food, and wonderful, professional, and flexible service and staff. We highly recommend Jocelyn (coordinator) and Jason (chef) and thank them for their service. :)

Sent on 09/10/2015

The food and staff was excellent.

Sent on 07/20/2014

We used Plated Events for our wedding and the food was DELICIOUS! Most of the time I am un-wowed by wedding food as it can feel very banquety cooking food in such large quantities. We had a delicious and unique menu and I know all of the guests at our wedding were very pleased by the food. They set up their cooking station on generators in the orchards right outside of our wedding venue where they were hidden. The food was fantastic, the service was amazing and very friendly, and the price is very reasonable. We are very happy we had them there for the one of the biggest days of our lives!

Sent on 06/28/2014

Amanda · Married on 05/11/2013

Jason and Jocelyn were amazing to work with! They stayed in our budget without having to sacrifice taste and quality of the food. They also made sure I had a delicious and hardy vegetarian meal without charging me for a "additional choice" or telling me i had to have a boring pasta like most caterers would do. I still crave it becauae it was so DELICIOUS! I'm still waiting for that recipe jason! Haha I would recommend them to anyone getting married or just needing a creative culinary experience for a dinner party. The food was anything but ordinary and boring like most wedding food I've tasted. Thank you to everyone at Plated Events!

Sent on 06/04/2013

Amira · Married on 09/29/2012

We held our wedding at Limoneira's La Campana field and are so thankful we had Jason and Jocelyn as a part of our event. We wouldn't have found the location without Jason. We first fell in love with Plated Events when Jason shared his belief in 'farm to table,' as well as, his relaxed and confident, yet professional demeanor.

Throughout the planning process, I mainly worked with Jocelyn, Jason's wife and partner in the business. Like Jason, Jocelyn is very relaxed, helpful, and accommodating. In response to the other reviewer on this site, it is true some of the paperwork I received was unconventionally simple, but their authentic kindness and ability to help us put together our wedding that didn't feel like it came straight from a bridal factory was more important to us when compared with other vendors.

Now to the food. It was exceptional. I think it is too often we are removed from our food source, so finding Jason was a dream for us. Our tasting was held on Limoneira's farm. This is a real farm, not a perfectly manicured petting zoo farm, but a farm that has used tractors, hard-working people, and dust (although not in the food). We loved it! Jason is a great chef and being foodies we probably gave him more input than most of his clients, but he did not disappoint. Our tasting was perfect and our friends who are even bigger foodies are still raving about it. A friend facebooked this: "I love getting older. The food at weddings just keeps getting better." Our menu:
    -Sweet mix salad tossed with Limoneira blood orange segments, Mcgrath brother’s strawberries, gorgonzola, and candied pecans, finished with a blood orange vinaigrette.
    -Asparagus sautéed with panko, lavender, and grated asiago.
    -Handmade raviolis filled with butternut squash and tossed in a brown butter Ojai medicinal sage sauce.
    -Vegan paella *vegetarians only
    -Pork roast slow cooked in a honey glaze and Limoneira citrus.
    -Prime tri-tip slowly smoked over cherry wood chips.

Yum!

Sent on 10/26/2012

Heather · Married on 06/02/2012

Jason and his team did a fantastic job for our wedding and the food was wonderful and the the price was reasonable. I didn't have to worry about anything (including the other vendors showing up) on our wedding day because I knew Jason would take care of it. Couldn't have been more pleased!

Sent on 07/12/2012

Plated Events did an excellent job on our big day. They were friendly, flexible, and communicated well. Would definitely recommend them to someone planning an event. They also aren't out to get as much money as they can from you and provide extras in their packages that not all catering companies do. The whole team is great!

Sent on 12/12/2015

Stephen · Married on 07/18/2015

We enjoyed working with Plated Events. Everything was wonderful, the food as planned. The Staff were awesome. It rained during the ceremony, but they were ready to serve on a moments notice. Everyone said our wedding was the best they had ever been to.

Sent on 10/30/2015

Bianca · Married on 07/12/2015

3.0

Plated Events catered our wedding in July at Limoneira. I was set on an outdoor reception and we found them on the internet. We could not have been more happy with their services. Jocelyn and Teresa were very professional and experienced and also patient with all of our questions. Even when we made a last minute change to the food they were very understanding and willing to work with us. You could tell they do this a lot and have it down to a science. On the day of we didn't have to worry about anything, their staff was friendly and on top of things. Guests are still telling us that this was one of the most unique and beautiful weddings they have been to (Limoneira is in a lemon orchard... our pictures turned out amazing!). It was the best day of our lives, really, and Plated Events made it easy for us to relax and enjoy our special day. The only thing I would want to make sure people realize has to do more with the site and not with the catering services. If you choose Limoneira you have to realize that you are basically getting a raw piece of land. Plated Events does the catering (food, tables, chairs, linens) but you have to pay different vendors to light the place up and also bring in restrooms and Plated Events has certain vendors you have to choose from that are pretty pricey. I think we spent almost $3,000 just to light the place up in addition to the catering (Although there are less expensive lighting packages available). That being said it was still the best option and I'm so glad we went with them! Best day ever!

Sent on 12/16/2015

Catherine · Married on 04/07/2018

4.2
      3.5

We used Plated Events for our recent wedding. The staff and the food were amazing! However, the only complaint I have was that there wasn't enough to go around. We had guests tell us that they were denied both proteins and had to choose one. And, even though there was plenty of food left on the buffet tables, some (but not all?) guests were denied seconds. I guess it really depended which server they asked. But, overall, I would definitely recommend using Plated Events. Everyone said it was the best wedding food they've ever had! That's why they wanted seconds so badly!

Sent on 04/17/2018

Scott · Married on 04/21/2013

4.2
      3.0

Pros: Excellent Food, Great Value, Kick Ass Bartender, super fast clean up, Friendly Staff

Cons: Ran out of Tri Tip ( not all guests got to experience the excellence)

Sent on 05/01/2013

2.5

We were married at Limoneira last month and so used Plated Events for our catering. Jason prepared a variety of wonderful dishes for our reception and dinner, and was very flexible in adapting his existing menus to meet our special requests. To choose our menu we were treated to an excellent tasting where we could sample several different options for each course. The burrito bar was a huge hit if you're looking for a more casual feel but still want excellent quality and flavor!

My only criticism is that they are slow to respond to questions.

Sent on 11/20/2012

Stella · Married on 11/20/2015

I had Plated Events by Chef Jason Collis cater my rehearsal dinner and wedding. I corresponded with Teri the most, who was fantastic and always got back to me quickly! Jocelyn was awesome as well, she helped me with the menus. My only complaint would be that there was not enough food at the rehearsal dinner. We did the Mexican theme with the different tacos and the baja salad, but there were many people who were not able to have a full meal. A bunch of us even went out to dinner again after the rehearsal dinner because we were still hungry. We also gave them a head count prior to the dinner in which there were no additional people that attended that were not accounted for. For the wedding dinner, we did the buffet style. I had a couple guests tell me that during dinner, they wanted to try both the tri-tip and the salmon, but were only allowed to choose one. I guess I was just under the impression that since it was "buffet style" they were allowed to pick and choose whatever they would like? I just wish they specified that. Other than that, the staff was friendly and planning for the wedding food went smoothly. I would definitely recommend Plated Events by Chef Jason Collis to others, just make sure you communicate with them about everything. :-)

Sent on 12/13/2015

Kristin · Married on 10/21/2016

3.8
      3.5

We had our ceremony and reception at Limoneira and per the site contract you must use Plated Events as your caterer. If given an option, I don't think I would have selected them but I clearly didn't have an option. The food at our food tasting was OUT OF THIS WORLD. It was served hot and delicious. I easily selected the items we wanted for our wedding buffet dinner. As our wedding approached, I was informed from a friend who had gotten married at Limoneira a few weeks before us that their food was served cold, the staff was rude to their guests, and they didn't have enough of each selection. I immediately emailed Teri and Jocelyn my concerns which were somewhat addressed. In the end, our food was served hot and tasted okay (not nearly the same as what we sampled in our food tasting); however, I'm not so sure that would have happened if I didn't voice my concerns the week of.
    Jocelyn called me on a Sunday to inform me my credit card was declining for our final payment, I was shocked as I had used that card for everything for our wedding. I called the credit card company and my card my flagged because Jocelyn had charged me $4,650 three times! The duplicate charges later fell off but it was still inconvenient having the hold when I needed to use that card for other vendor payments.
    Neither Teri or Jocelyn was in attendance at our reception, it appeared to be a younger staff cooking and serving that night.
    We also brought in Del Taco as a late night food option for our guests which was devoured! Sometimes food that is a fraction of the price is far better than the fancy stuff.
    Having Limoneira as our venue was worth dealing with the various issues and set backs.

Sent on 11/18/2016

Sara · Married on 07/01/2012

1.4
      2.0
      2.0
      1.0

Plated Events is a husband wife duo that completely lacks organization in planning and coordinating catering events. They just did our wedding and throughout the six months we worked with them, we had numerous problems--lack of responsiveness, communication, and inconsistent messages from one meeting to the next. Their sample menus are random word documents from previous weddings and their emails are loaded with typos and completely unprofessional.

They completely forgot about our tasting after I'd confirmed months in advance, flew across the country for it, and threw something together at the last minute when I called to confirm. Needless to say the food was terrible--cheese enchiladas that were nothing more than dry flour tortillas with shredded cheese inside, and chicken and steak fajitas that were so overseasoned they tasted like the entire spice rack fell in the pan. They offered to hold a second tasting which my family attended and loved the food. Unfortunately, the food at our wedding wasn't up to the same standard and they ran out even after they had restricted our guests to one of the two entrees and took the food away before everyone was able to eat. We had only 95 people but had paid for 100 so we should have had plenty of food. The catering staff did eat dinner however.

Our contract said we could stay at the venue until midnight however the staff informed our planner the night of that we had to stop the reception by 9:30, and then again at 10:30 after she pushed back. We were able to keep the party going the full time but completely distracted me for the rest of the night. All this after the owner left the reception early to go home.

They were not prepared for the buffet line on time and were not ready to serve dessert despite getting advance notice from our planner. I had to walk over and grap one of the catering staff to serve our ice cream.

Finally they ran out of water started clearing out and taking down the tables before our guests left the party.

I would not recommend them to anyone despite the beautiful location for our wedding ceremony and reception, which is a real bummer because the caterer is the exclusive caterer for the site.

Sent on 07/03/2012