Peter Jonathan Images Reviews

74 | San Diego, CA

74 Reviews for Peter Jonathan Images

Sara · Married on 05/11/2013

Pete photographed my brother's wedding the previous year and not only did a wonderful job, but was a lot of fun to work with. When it came time to pick a photographer for our wedding, it was a very easy choice! He did a great job on engagement photos for us and our wedding day pictures were amazing! He and his assistant spent the entire day with us and captured every moment. I would definitely recommend Peter Jonathan Images!

Sent on 08/16/2013

Maggie · Married on 03/23/2013

Pete was more than we could have ever asked for in a photographer. He was so creative with his shots and got everything we wanted. When the wedding was over we had over 1400 pictures- talk about fun to look through! He brought a good friend of his as his assistant photographer, and they were a great duo. They didn't miss a beat. Pete blended right in and captured every moment without us even knowing he was there most of the time. I would happily recommend Pete's services to anyone!

betsy · Married on 03/01/2013

Pete did such AMAZING work during our wedding week. He took a new element of the snow, mountains and everything in between and just really captured every special moment in fantastic ways. These memories last a lifetime thanks to the wonderful job done! I appreciated the professionalism in which he worked and the flexibility that he had. I would recommend him to anyone a thousand times over. Though, I truly believe his work speaks for itself and I don't have to say anything, but just show off his work and watch people ask for his contact info. :)

• Misty

Misty · Married on 01/05/2013

Pete was wonderful at taking natural shots. He posed us for a few of the typical bride and groom pictures, but the rest was taken very naturally and made us feel at ease. You can tell in our pictures we were relaxed and happy and that is exactly what I wanted him to capture!

He took a mixture of posed bride and groom shots, to large family photos, to friends dancing on the dance floor. From what we forgot of the night, or were to busy to see, Pete captured on film. Thank you!

Sent on 01/17/2013

Amanda · Married on 09/28/2012

My family, friends and I absolutely loved working with Pete! His process is very thorough, with an introductory meeting to discuss inspiration, engagement session to get familiar with being photographed together and final discussion on shot list and aesthetics. With all of the moving parts involved in planning and executing the wedding day, I knew I could count on Pete to provide a sense of peace! He was fantastic in organizing our friends and family for photos, everyone had such wonderful things to say. Most importantly, the photos are everything I imagined!

Sent on 11/08/2012

Amanda · Married on 12/31/2011

Pete did a wonderful job photographing our wedding! He captured some awesome moments & I still wonder how he got the amazing shots. He is everywhere interacting and will do everything to make the day special! I am so thankful & will use Pete for more pictures!

Jana · Married on 12/02/2011

My husband and I did a destination wedding on the beaches of Mexico. Pete traveled with us and captured every moment along the way. He was great to work with and paid close attention to capturing every detail. The location and scenery of our wedding was so beautiful that I worried a camera wouldn't do it justice. Pete exceeded my expectations. Our pictures look out of a magazine. I wanted to try a few things I had seen on Pinterest and Pete was more than willing to try my ideas! I couldn't have been more pleased with my pictures and I highly recommend using Peter Jonathan Images!!

Sent on 08/01/2013

Amanda · Married on 10/08/2011

We can look back and remember our wedding day through the amazing photography that was done! Thanks so much for all of your time and hard work :)

Sent on 08/30/2013

Meaghan · Married on 05/13/2011

Pete is absolutely fantastic! Not only is he an incredibly talented photographer who really loves what he does, but he is a fun person to be around and work with. Taking pictures with Pete is easy and stress free. He works quickly and gets shots you never could imagine! If all of that weren't enough, he gives you a disk with all of your fantastically edited photographs back a week after your wedding (more or less). This is unheard of service! We have asked Pete to photograph not only our engagement and wedding but family photos since. We will continue using Pete as our photographer for everything! (Oh, and he had a wedding kit with all sorts of emergency items I'd never thought I'd need, including eyelash glue! He saved me from looking super-ridiculous during our reception!)

Sent on 08/16/2013

Peter Jonathan Images's reply:

Thanks for the great review Meaghan! I really appreciate it!! :)

My husband and I chose Pete to be our wedding photographer after a short meeting at Starbuck's. He was able to show us some of the work he had done and we loved his ideas. He was professional and had a great personality! At the time he was very new to the wedding photography business but we could not be more happy with the results. He took his time with us at both the engagement session and during the wedding festivities. He and his assistant were able to follow us each as we got ready for day and then later as we took the first steps of starting our lives together. I would recommend Pete to anyone who is planning their wedding and is looking for someone to capture the special moments of their big day!

Sent on 08/01/2013

Heather · Married on 09/20/2008

Pete was great and I will forever have the images he captured!!

Sent on 08/07/2013

Candice · Married on 04/25/2015

Loved our photos! Great value! Very easy to work with!

Sent on 05/26/2015

Peter Jonathan Images's reply:

Thanks for the review Candice! :) Your final USB should be in your mailbox today!

kylie · Married on 10/29/2011

Provided great direction and even drove us to the park where we took our photos! Our pictures are very natural and beautiful. We love all of them. He also knew where to be and when during the ceremony and reception without any direction from us. We were so pleased with his work. We also had a photo shoot for our baby and they were great, too! Pete definitely knew how to work with a wedding party AND a fussy baby! :) he is so friendly, down-to-earth, yet professional! Highly recommended!

Sent on 08/06/2013

Ashley · Married on 10/22/2011

If you're looking for an awesome photographer at an affordable cost, then Pete is the way to go. When we met first with him, you can tell that he isn't in the business for the money - he just loves taking pictures and he happens to be really, really good at it. I am constantly re-visiting our wedding day photos almost 2 years later and love how he captured the day so perfectly. I can't recommend him enough!

Sent on 08/07/2013

Peter Jonathan Images's reply:

A appreciate the nice review Ashley! :)

Chelsea Ray Wagers · Married on 11/02/2018

Fit right in with our destination wedding gang

Not long after meeting Pete we knew he would be the perfect fit to photograph our Belize wedding. He has an easygoing personality and is down to give anything a shot (like agreeing to shoot our engagement photos at the airport, or smuggling his drone into Belize).
    When we started planning our wedding we knew we needed a photographer who would roll with the punches and get along with our group of rambunctious family and friends. Truth be told by the end of the weekend I think everyone liked Pete and his wife better than us ;)

When we didn’t want to do a first look and were in a time crunch racing the sunset after our ceremony , Pete was down to spend a few hours the next day shooting Tate & I around the island and we got some awesome shots that sum up why we love it there and why we wanted to have our wedding there. (Not to mention the drone footage of us jumping into the ocean at the end of the day— priceless!)
    He captured some really beautiful moments, and the video and album will ensure we never forget our little island wedding.
    Truth be told, Pete wasn’t the cheapest photographer we interviewed... but there is honesty in the statement you get what you pay for, and we feel like we got definite bang for our buck with him

Sent on 05/31/2019

Peter Jonathan Images's reply:

Thanks for the great review Chelsea! Julie and I had such a great time with you and your wedding tribe! We loved Belize and can’t wait to go back! 📸🎉

Sara · Married on 05/24/2015

My husband and I hired Pete to shoot our wedding in Brown County State Park last May. From the start, he was incredibly accommodating, willing to talk over the phone, and even meet us in person to discuss details. We were initially interested in Pete, of course, because we loved his style, but it was meeting in person that truly solidified our choice because he was so relaxed, professional, and open-minded. These proved to be wonderful qualities on the day of our wedding as he provided a balance of direction and openness to suggestions, he kept things moving efficiently while keeping everyone relaxed, and most importantly, he made sure that we all had fun! All the while, he was very organized and got all of the shots that we requested. Many of the people in our wedding party commented on how much fun Pete was and how easy he was to work with. My husband and I received our images within two weeks of our wedding, and we were very pleased. He did a wonderful job using the scenery (after all, our wedding was in the woods) with lots of of use of the trees, which we specifically requested. There was a good combination of traditional and unconventional photos, giving us and our family and friends lots of different styles of pictures to chose from. Overall, we were thrilled with Pete's work and would recommend him without a moment of hesitation.

Sent on 07/07/2015

Mike · Married on 06/01/2013

Pete did a good job capturing our wedding day. He managed to capture photos of just about every guest that attended. The pictures came out very nice. His prices are competetive. I would definitely recommend him to someone looking for good quality at a reasonable price.

Sent on 08/14/2013

Appreciated the quick turn around of the pictures!

Sent on 08/27/2012

We really enjoyed working with Pete and his assistant photographer on our wedding day! He was a lot of fun and did a good job capturing our day.

Sent on 08/11/2013
  • Kimberly

Kimberly · Married on 02/17/2017

I would use Peter again and would definitely recommend him to others. He is an awesome photographer.

Sent on 03/10/2017
  • User4204139 · 2+ years ago

4.2
      2.0

After extensive research on wedding photographers, it seemed that there was a very clear divide between good photographers (read: EXPENSIVE) and moderately priced photographers who just didn't seem to have the same quality. Then we found Peter who we really felt provided the high quality wedding photos for a very reasonable price. As a bonus, he was always a pleasure to talk to. We even did our engagement pictures about an hour away, and Peter didn't charge us any extra to make the drive, which we really appreciated since most all other photographers said they'd charge us extra for the travel.

I did feel the need to ding him a little bit in the Professionalism category though. We had signed a contract for 8 hours on our wedding day, but about a week before the wedding, he said something about 6 hours. When we challenged him, he said that was some sort of mistake on his part, and it should have been 6 hours. He agreed to stay for 7 hours, but he couldn't stay any longer because he had a "meeting" at 9:30 on a Friday night. Seemed a little convenient to me, and in my humble opinion, a contract is a contract.

But with all that being said, we were still very happy with everything we got from Peter. Our pictures turned out very well, and we still felt like we got a really good price on everything. We would recommend Peter.

Sent on 06/27/2014
  • Molly

Molly · Married on 05/13/2017

Pete did an amazing job on our engagement shoot and wedding photos--I'm thrilled with how the photos turned out! He was professional and easy to work with. I appreciated that he texted me the day before the wedding to check in and let me know that he was on top of everything. We had budget constraints, but Pete was able to make a plan that worked perfectly for us! I definitely recommend working with Pete.

EDIT: I wasn't sure if I wanted to edit my review or not, but a friend of mine who is currently planning her wedding and my sister really thought that other brides would want to have this information. Pete takes wonderful photos--there is no doubt about that. Here's the but: after he sent me the digital photo files, he let me know that he would edit additional photos (he seems to only photoshop/edit a small handful of the photos, which I'm fine with) once I let him know which ones were my favorite. I had a cross-country move after my wedding and wasn't able to get back to him about this for a few months. In the late summer (the wedding was in May), I emailed him asking if he would do a small edit on two photos. I asked if he would remove some glare from my husband's glasses. That was the only edit I wanted for two photos that are my favorites. He responded by saying how difficult that kind of edit is and that he would look into it (but the gist was that he wasn't going to make the edit). Well, the boyfriend of one of my bridesmaids uses Photoshop frequently and told me that this is actually quite an easy edit to accomplish, and he offered to fix those photos for me. To be honest, it seemed like Pete had "checked out" because he had already been paid. Anyway, at least a friend is going to fix the photos. But it would have been nice if my professional wedding photographer had 1) noticed the glare without me having to ask about it and 2) had been willing to fix it once I asked. Pete takes beautiful photos, but be aware that something like this could happen.

Sent on 05/18/2017

1.5
      0.5
      2.5
      3.0

I would not recommend Pete for wedding photography. He’s nice enough, but he provides subpar work and doesn’t stick to his own deadlines. According to his contract, our wedding photos should have been finished within 2 weeks. It took him 22 days, and he posted photos that were shot after our wedding before ours were finished. In addition, I ordered our photo book on October 27th and asked for an update on November 14th. It has now been 7 months, and no book.

All of that aside, he didn’t give us the quality or the care that we wanted. He doesn’t seem to understand the emotional side of weddings, and he missed a lot of really great moments (the nervous ring bearer high-fiving the best man when giving him the ring, the bride hugging her crying grandmother, the flower girl sleeping on the bride’s lap, the groom’s sister giving the bride a “something old” from their deceased mother, etc) and spent more time looking at the pictures he’d already taken than actually taking photos. Frequently on the wedding video, you see him standing around and not doing anything during important moments (first dance, interactions, etc). His second photographer was great and you can tell a real difference between the quality of her photos and his, and she really grasped the importance of in-the-moment interactions.

Pete has a tendency to not pay attention to detail. He cuts off feet and adds way too much empty space above heads. As someone who used to be a wedding photographer, that sort of basic photography knowledge is key to shooting quality photos. Many guests commented that he was rude and distant and there were times (such as after arriving to the venue for photos), he was nowhere to be found, so we wasted 15-20 minutes just standing around, then didn’t get all of the photos we wanted.

If he charged 1/4 of what he does, I would say it's acceptable for those on a budget. However, he charges the same prices as educated, professional photographers without the same quality.

Sent on 05/07/2017

Peter Jonathan Images's reply:

Eeeek! Thank you for your honest and candid feedback. I’m very sorry that you had a negative experience with Peter Jonathan Images! It's difficult to read a negative review when I'm so used to reading rave reviews from the majority of my clients. Reading through a negative review is torturous! Obviously, something didn't go as planned 7 months ago! I take all criticism extremely serious and take every single word to heart so I can improve my overall client experience! I regret that your images were a week late getting back to you. I work hard to deliver images back to my clients within 14 days. There are times when I photograph 2 weddings in a weekend and I simply cannot rush through the editing process. I absolutely should have let you know that your images were going to be a few days late due to my hectic fall wedding schedule. I work hard to give my clients the best possible experience on their wedding day. But it only takes ONE negative review to make me step back and review my processes, my client management and communications, and shooting. Thank you again for your honest and open feedback on your wedding day. Your feedback helps me tremendously. "Success is shooting from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm". - Anonymous

1.0

We would not recommend (especially for a Chicago or city wedding, traditional wedding, or classy event). His words to us after sharing our thoughts on the photographs were disappointing and saddening. Mind you, we're an interracial couple with a lot of friends and family members with various backgrounds and cultures. Our rings were photographed on a comedy magazine (neither of us enjoy comedy, nor did we find amusing). No pictures were taken of our friends and family during our cocktail hour, despite having two photographers. Formal photographs of guests as couples and groups were requested, as we were hoping to include prints in thank you notes, failed to deliver pictures of many guests and couples. Photographs taken reflected more challenging aspects of the wedding rather than the enjoyable memories which stick in our minds. Many photographs were taken of others photographing. We did not ask for a refund for the photographs, despite our disappointing experience. After reflecting with friends and loved ones around the surprising correspondence and deliveries from the photographer, friends were saddened by our experience but we decided to move on and let it go. It's important we share our experience with you so you can plan accordingly and help to outline expectations with the photographer should you select this particular choice. Very few of our pictures are centered, sharp, etc. These days, most folks have phones which capture memories far more enjoyable than the artsy photographs wedding photographers try to capture to elevate their own careers and the industry. If you're into simplicity and class, and are looking for photographs that capture happy memories and formal, classic moments in a romantic or enchanting way, we would recommend looking elsewhere. If you're looking for photos which showcase the wedding industry, this may be an option.

Sent on 05/07/2016

Peter Jonathan Images's reply:

Hey, thanks for the feedback! My number one goal is to capture wedding days that bride and grooms will treasure. I am sorry this is not the case for you. However, I am confused with your disappointment in the style of your pictures. I am pleased with the images and feel they are consistent with my portfolio. In addition to reviewing my portfolio to get a sense of my style, you experienced my work firsthand when I photographed your brother’s wedding. The same style was also utilized in your engagement photos, with which you explicitly expressed great satisfaction. An unfortunate fact is your wedding day was 3 hours behind schedule due to circumstances beyond my control. A greatly shortened timeline is emotionally stressful for any bride, and I empathize with how frustrating this could feel. This limited the amount of time my team had to get the pictures you requested. We did the best we could in the amount of time that was presented to us and in that I am confident. I have shot over 150 weddings and I understand the importance of each portion of the day unfolding with ease. That being said, the photos captured the day as it unfolded, in a photojournalistic manner. I am passionate about my work; I am artistic; I love depth of field focus; I love capturing the real emotion during a wedding day. Whether the day is rainy, cold, hot, or sunny; emotions are happy, nervous, sad, or excited; the images I capture tell the story of a wedding day. I delivered 1100 final images that captured the essence of your wedding day. What I feel is a great photo, the bride might not, and vice versa. This is why I deliver a wide variety of images. Brides have total autonomy to remove or hide images from their gallery, thus controlling what guests are able to view. Again, I am sorry you are not satisfied. Thanks for your honest feedback. My team and I will learn and grow from this review. We will continue to work hard to deliver the best photographic product to our bride and grooms.