Onteora Mountain House Reviews

Onteora Mountain House 6
Onteora Mountain House 7
  • U

lenore · Married on 09/15/2007

Everything was above and beyond my expectations. Fabulous.

My only recommedations is to loop in their wedding coordinator Bonnie as soon as possible. She's a great resource for places to get your hair done, etc... things that would have been great to know before the wedding day.

But, we couldn't have been happier - very elegant, without over doing it.

Sent on 03/09/2008

Tessa · Married on 09/22/2012

Wow, is all I can say about the Mountain House. Bob and Jeremy are like a dream team! My husband and I thoroughly enjoyed our wedding, and we have the Mountain House staff to thank. Very catering to what you as a couple want, extremely prompt, and on top of all the items that go into a reception, they really cover it all. The food from Blue Mountain Catering was excellent too, we got a lot of compliments on how good everything was!

Sometimes it takes them a while to respond to emails, but if you resend, they are quick. I believe their spam filter has something to do with that though.

The scenery is amazing, and don't worry about the weather...we had a really foggy day and it ended up pouring during our reception- but it went off without a hitch. People loved the views, and the house itself...everyone thought it was beautiful.

Oh and I was very concerned about the size of the space as well as the dance floor. We had 160 guests, and everything went fine! The tables did not feel cramped, and the dance floor was packed!

Really it was the perfect wedding. Thanks Bob, Jeremy and the Onteora Staff!

Sent on 10/04/2012

Onteora is a dreamy place to get married. It's views and grounds are unmatched in their beauty. Bob and Jeremy have figured out all the extra little things that make the day run perfectly in terms of timing.

Sent on 10/11/2012

Antoinette · Married on 10/09/2011

The Onteora Mountain House is a beautiful place to get married. It suited our need for rustic, elegance perfectly. Lots of great details: drink of the day, breakfast in the morning, beautiful bridal suite. If you get married here...you MUST work with Jeremy. He is fabulous, adorable, and only 21 years old. This man has it all together. Avoid BOB!

Sent on 10/11/2011

Laura · Married on 09/05/2010

We could not be happier with picking Onteora for the site of our Wedding ceremony and reception. We fell in love from the first moment we saw it. Bob and Jeremy made everything extremely easily. 9 out of 10 times they would answer the phone on the first ring. They were true professionals. The day of the wedding, everything ran smoothly and everything turned out just as we had planned. They didn't miss a step from providing golf cart service up a tiny hill from the parking lot for the older guests, to assigning a bridal attendant to make sure my every need was taken of, to queing myself and the bridal party during the ceremony, down to all the cocktail hour and reception details being displayed exactly how I imagined. After reading some other reviews on here I was a bit hesitant but I would recommend going with your own instincts- I'm happy I did because I could not have imagined a better place for my wedding.

Sent on 09/20/2010

Onteora is the most beautiful (not being bias!) wedding venue i have ever seen. I refused to look any further after visiting. Only downside is they definitely "challenged" my budget. For us, venue was most important and we definitely spent accordingly! They are extremely accommodating and will honor just about any request you have.

Sent on 07/27/2014

Katy · Married on 09/16/2006

4.2

We had our reception here, and it was simply wonderful. Many guests commented on the beautiful setting, the prompt service, and the overall experience. Our wedding party stayed here as well. It's basically a bed and breakfast--this is not a resort. Expect the bed and breakfast feel--the setting used to be a home. If that's what you like, then you'll love it here. It's got character and charm, plus updated bathrooms. Our wedding party really enjoyed the game room after the festivities as well. One note about this venue: parking is limited. I suggest you supply shuttles for guests and encourage guests to take the shuttle. Yes, you have to hire a caterer, but I was glad for that--we got a choice of what to serve, as opposed to liking a venue, but not being impressed with the food.

Sent on 07/20/2011

3.8
      3.5
      3.0

We chose Onteora because of the obvious natural beauty of the area—the stunning views are just incomparable. We were also encouraged by the fact that the facility provided a caterer and necessities such as tables/chairs set-up. Also, the rooms in the B&B were fantastic—they made us and our wedding party feel like we were on a vacation. The wedding day went very smoothly and we luckily had perfect weather. The breakfast that was served was delicious. My hair/makeup team was slow-moving, so we were down to the wire to get the bridesmaids/mothers/myself ready in time, but the owners were very in tuned to our timeline and made sure to get everyone set to go as close to the start time as possible. The ceremony went perfectly without a hitch, and I’ve been told that the cocktail hour was enjoyable (we were taking photos with our wedding party at that time). We thought the reception was fantastic—lots of great music and dancing and chatting, it was a really, really fun experience overall. The owners were aware of how the evening was progressing and made sure to stick to a schedule for when the meal/cake was served and when the speeches took place. At one point we needed to adjust the volume of the music and the big fan, which was easily done. The staff was great and very accommodating. They set the tables just as we’d asked—even trimming sprigs of rosemary for each plate. There were, however, a few details missed in the setup: For example, flowers were supposed to be in the bathrooms with lit candles; our rooms/beds were not tidied during our stay; the brunch was supposed to be held in the main house but was instead in the reception hall). The overall experience was extremely positive though I wish that the owners had been a little easier to work with. There was some tension in coming to agreements on certain details of the course of events and it became stressful at times. But all in all, we would not hesitate to recommend the Onteora Mountain House for a wedding!

Sent on 08/04/2015

joyce · Married on 08/09/2008

1.4
      2.0
      2.0
      1.0

If you want a secluded weekend wedding in the mountains with beautiful surroundings and a magnificent view, then this bed and breakfast/wedding venue is for you.

However, this is about all you get for the high price you pay. The place has no cooking facilities, so the food has to be brought in pre-prepared by a caterer. As a result it is over-cooked and dry-and skimpy. Plan on supplementing the cocktail hour at a cost of $10-$15 per person. Otherwise your guests will go home hungry. One positive note: The liquor flows freely for the entire time as soon as the ceremony ends.

Once you sign the contract with the manager/owner, you will find yourself dealing with a very difficult, stubborn, unyielding and at times downright nasty man. You might wonder who is accommodating whom!

The way they move guests from the outdoor cocktail hour into the reception pavilion is embarrassing. At the appointed minute, all food is removed while some guests are still eating, and the place is cleaned up before the last guests enter the pavilion. This same rudeness occurs at the end of the reception. At 10 o'clock sharp the party's over. Within 15 minutes one wouldn't know a wedding ever took place.

The seven guest bedrooms have well-appointed, updated bathrooms. However the bedrooms have no heat, no AC, no telephones, no TV and not enough blankets for cool nights.

This venue is very dependent upon the weather. You wouldn't want to be up there in a storm or very cold weather, or even very hot weather (no AC), so booking this place is risky as well as expensive.

Sent on 07/31/2009