Old South Meeting House Reviews

14 | Boston, MA

14 Reviews for Old South Meeting House

Jessica Autrey · Married on 08/25/2018

Gorgeous, unique venue!

The Old South Meeting House was the perfect venue for our wedding! It is historic and beautiful and our pictures turned out amazing! Working with Devon was fantastic- she was quick to respond and helped us with every request. No complaints- I would highly recommend!

Sent on 11/19/2018

Kelsey · Married on 09/24/2016

We had our small wedding reception at the Old South Meeting House and it was beautiful. Even though it's a large space, it felt very intimate with a small group of people. Autumn was very helpful and knowledgeable in getting everything set up for us, and helped the day run smoothly. The venue was exactly what we were looking for, and we were thrilled with the outcome!

Sent on 10/16/2016

The Old South Meeting House was a perfect venue for a wedding! Our guests loved visiting such a historic building. The staff there was incredibly organized and helpful and the whole day ran very smoothly.

Sent on 09/08/2016

Emily · Married on 06/04/2016

We loved having our wedding ceremony at the OSMH. The entire process was great, from planning to the ceremony itself. The staff was very helpful and willing to work with us to come up with solutions that worked for both parties. The venue itself it absolutely beautiful - the history, the beautiful interior, everything. We only added two floral arrangements at the front of the venue because we thought the interior was beautiful in itself. We cannot wait to see pictures!

We would highly recommend the OSMH.

Sent on 06/22/2016

J · Married on 05/28/2016

We could not be happier with our decision to hold our ceremony at Old South Meeting House. With so many guests coming from out of town, we were able to given them a wonderful look into historic Boston. Even the local guests were telling us for days afterwards how impressed they were by the beauty and history of the venue!

This place was a great deal for many reasons, including the inherent beauty of the space, which helped us save on decorations and made for beautiful photos. One of the best parts, though, was the inclusion of a day-of wedding coordinator. Lauren was absolutely wonderful to work from start to finish, answering all of our questions quickly and with the knowledge of someone who knows what she's doing. Being able to trust that the OSMH had everything under control was so valuable to us and a huge stress reliever, .since we were planning the wedding from out of town. It's hard to believe we got such an historic, beautiful, well-managed venue for this price!

Sent on 06/19/2016

We held our ceremony at the Old South Meeting House (reception up the street at the Omni Parker House) in June of 2015. This was the perfect location for our classic Boston wedding. The building is gorgeous -- 300+ years old, beautiful balcony area above the pews, amazing altar, etc. It's perfect for a wedding because it's set up like a church and has tons of seating. We worked with Lauren to plan the ceremony, and she did a fantastic job. Not only was she responsive by email, but she even met with us a number of times and helped us figure out decorations for the ceremony. The price is right for this venue, and your guests will love it because it's so historic and cozy. A great place for a wedding ceremony!

Sent on 10/30/2015
  • W

Mathilda · Married on 04/25/2015

We have long known about the OSMH, but it was not until we were about to put down the deposit for our wedding reception venue that we learned we could get married there. We were looking to get married outside of a church but in a place with some community or social significance (rather than a banquet hall). The OSMH fit the bill perfectly. They charge a flat fee to rent the space -- no hidden costs. They do have some time restrictions on when your ceremony can be, because they are a museum during the day. We had no problems working with them and were very happy with the space and how our ceremony ran. They have an on-site events coordinator who can help you work out all the logistics -- she interfaced with our day-of coordinator, and they took care of everything together. They're very willing to work with you to produce the event you want, although it's important to know that because it is a historic building, there are restrictions on decor and people flow through the building. None of these restrictions interfered with what we wanted. We brought in two small floral arrangements and our ceremony programs, and that was it. We are so glad we chose the OSMH for our ceremony.

Sent on 05/31/2015

Karen · Married on 12/13/2014

Old South Meeting House was the most interesting and beautiful venue to hold our ceremony. For a total of $2500, they supplied us with the space for ceremony, a rehearsal the night prior, the sound system, and the theatrical lighting system. I don't know if that is a lot or a bargain since we didn't look anywhere else (my husband is a history buff and we live two blocks from the meeting house), but it felt more than worth the cost. Additionally, I know the money will be used for needed maintenance to the historic site.

Lauren, the coordinator for the meeting house, was great and so responsive. She made everything easy and was as flexible as possible given that we were using a historic site (there are appropriate limitations on candles and such things that might damage the meeting house or interior). On our wedding day, I was astonished at how the lighting effects and minimal decorations I had provided transformed the meeting house in to a completely beautiful ceremony space.

Sent on 01/16/2015

Martha · Married on 11/08/2014

Lauren Reddy and her team provided excellent guidance and assistance on the weekend of our wedding. They made the process easy and stress-free.

Sent on 11/14/2014
  • Brandon

Brandon Forest · Married on 10/26/2019

Historic location for a wedding

Marty and her team provided a stress free and one of a kind venue for my wedding. The space is amazing and versitile. I would very much recomend it for anyone who wants a wedding that will stand out.

Sent on 10/28/2019

Risa · Married on 04/28/2018

We had a truly exceptional wedding ceremony at the Old South Meeting House. The staff was very helpful and responsive over the planning process and made it very easy, especially since I was planning halfway across the country. There were some staffing changes over our planning process, but the staff made the transition totally seamless. We ended up working with Devon on our wedding day - and she was so great! She made sure the rehearsal went smoothly and was such a positive and calming presence day-of. She was very communicative throughout the day of our wedding and made sure everything went off without a hitch! We loved the natural beauty of the building and that it really didn't need any additional decoration or touches. It was such an amazing space. Since most of our guests were out-of-towners, it was so cool to have it in such a historic site and for them to get to explore it a little. We also appreciated that we could bring an iPad with pre-made playlists to use as our ceremony music. Since it is a museum, we didn't have access to the space until after 5 PM, which abbreviated our wedding timeline a little, but this was absolutely not a problem for us, just thought it would be useful information for other brides. Regardless, we absolutely loved our experience with the OSMH and greatly appreciated being able to have our ceremony in the beautiful space.

Sent on 05/17/2018

Old South Meeting House's reply:

Thank you so much for this wonderful review, Risa! You and Jason were a joy to work with, and your wedding was just as lovely as you both are! We're so glad you shared your special day with us. -Devon and the OSMH Team

Amanda · Married on 04/18/2015

3.5
      3.5

Lauren was so cute and helpful. We emailed back and forth for a few weeks with names and song choices, she would always get right back to me! My wedding ceremony was so beautiful, no decorations or even flowers needed to be set up! A little pricey but understood for a city wedding. I loved my whole day but everyone keeps commenting on my ceremony :)

Sent on 05/13/2015

1.0

My fiance and I were so disappointed in this venue. The space was beautiful and unique, and had the "old-world Boston charm" we wanted. Plus it was within walking distance of the hotel/reception. These are all good things...however, the staff at Old South Meeting House was terrible to work with. Emails were never responded to. Our "event planners" would suddenly disappear and then a new person would be assigned to our wedding. A month before we tied the knot I finally called them and requested a conference call to discuss our ceremony plans because I was so nervous. The call went well and I felt like they had listened to our "wish list" and would get it done. Fast forward to our rehearsal...the "event planner" proceeds to confuse everyone in the wedding party by saying the EXACT OPPOSITE of everything we had discussed on our call. It was so blatantly wrong it was almost funny. Almost.
    Then on our wedding day, she hustled everyone outside the church doors for our big entrance, and she was yelling to be heard the whole time. Several of our guests mentioned how they could hear her yelling inside the meeting house and that it was very distracting and unprofessional, and I was mortified.
    I wish I could recommend this place, but for over $2,500 to rent the space, I just can't. Luckily our wedding was fun and gorgeous once we moved on from the OSMH, but the ceremony was definitely the worst part of our special day.

Sent on 06/22/2015

Old South Meeting House's reply:

Hello, I am very sorry to hear that you had a troubling experience at Old South Meeting House. As the now permanent Marketing and Events Director, I am deeply saddened to find out that you had anything less than a wonderful wedding ceremony. While I had not been hired by the time your wedding occurred, I would like you to know that I will do everything I can to ensure that these types of gaps and miscommunications do not take place in the future. If you would like to discuss any of this further, please do not hesitate to reach out to me at events@osmh.org.