OceanCliff Reviews

OceanCliff 3
OceanCliff 4
OceanCliff 5

Elizabeth · Married on 08/03/2013

What a beautiful venue. The water views, delicious meals and appetizers, and the service provided by the staff all came together for a perfect afternoon. My one recommendation would be if you happen to have a choice between an evening wedding and an afternoon wedding - chose the evening opening. Our wedding ceremony was at 11:00am at OceanCliff and the reception followed until about 4:30. At times throughout the day it did feel as though we were pushed to the next dance or the bouquet toss to ensure that we would all be leaving on time so they could prep for the wedding to follow. We really enjoyed OceanCliff and if you can, I would recommend chartering the Aurora in the bay - that is something not to be missed.

Sent on 09/04/2013

Britney · Married on 02/22/2013

Everyone was kind and willing to help out on my big day!

Sent on 10/23/2013

Diane · Married on 09/30/2011

My daughter Arynn had her wedding on 9/30/11 there. My husband and I can not say enough about the wonderful staff. Jim Mellisa and Allison and anyone any one else we forgot to mention Thank you for creating a beatiful memory for Arynn and Lincoln

Sent on 10/25/2011

John · Married on 08/22/2009

Oceancliff is an amazing venue for a wedding reception. The view, the service and the food were all top notch. I cant say enough about the food, they really wowed all our guests from the appatizers, to the seafood ice display, to the sit down dinner where they ask you how you would like your filet cooked. It really surprised our guests. all around, great job!

Sent on 09/24/2009

Nicole · Married on 10/22/2006

The venue itself is simply amazing. The views in that ballroom are absolutely beautiful. The food was delicious. All of our guests are still telling others that our wedding was the best wedding they have ever been to. I could not have asked for anything better from having the ceremony outside by the water to having a reception room and sunset overlooking the ocean.

Sent on 03/25/2008

Patricia · Married on 06/04/2011

All of our guests had a great time. The service was great and of course the view was marvelous. If we had to do it all over again we would choose Ocean Cliff again.

Sent on 06/18/2011

Bailey · Married on 08/30/2008

3.0

We enjoyed the service we received at OceanCliff Resort. As the bride, I felt that all of my needs were listened to, accommodated, and taken seriously. The best part of the experience was the staff - everyone was extremely helpful, professional and cheerful. It was nice to feel like the wait staff and event coordinators wanted to be there, rather than they were just there to earn a paycheck.

Sent on 10/10/2008

Eleni · Married on 05/11/2014

3.5

Excellent venue. Wonderful and professional staff. The food was good and the view was amazing. Guests still complement me on the venue.

Sent on 09/04/2014

Gina · Married on 06/02/2013

4.2

We had a fabulous OC wedding. From start to finish, the day went off without one single snag. The venue was gorgeous, the staff was professional. There is no doubt these people know what they are doing. We had a few glitches when it came to timely communications and sometimes important information not being appropriately relayed (nothing that couldn\'t be resolved though). Of course, it\'s not an inexpensive location. You are most certainly paying for the view and the experience/professionalism of the staff. But again, they know what they are doing and not one single guest had any complaints (which is impressive given our nit-picky Italian families!!). If I had to do it over again, I\'d still be an OC bride!

Sent on 06/11/2013

3.5

We had an amazing wedding at Oceancliff! The view and venue is stunning and I had so many guests complement us on it. The food and service were good as well and the room was set up exactly as we had wanted it. They were not overly responsive during the planning process so I did mark them down for that. But the event went off without a hitch, so in the end everything worked out. Its pricey, but definitely a lot of wow factor and that is what you are paying for. This was over our initial budget, but it was the foundation for our whole wedding concept so to me it was worth paying a little extra. I wish they would have lower room rental fees though and just raise the minimums so at least you feel like you get something more out of it. I would do it all over again for sure!

Sent on 10/23/2012

Ann · Married on 08/25/2007

We searched & searched for the perfect venue. Newport was the last location we checked because we assumed the cost would be enormous. I'm glad we went to the O.C. last, because we knew for sure that we were getting the best location at a reasonable price.
    The catering staff were wonderful. Very attentive & friendly.
    The cost to stay in one of their rooms overnight is pricey, but comparable with the rest of Newport. If you do stay there, be sure to close & lock your door. They don't close on their own. We were missing a significant amount of money when we got back to the room after the reception. The manager was responsive, but not friendly or sympathetic. We received nothing from the OC for our loss. It was a total turn off that I'm trying to block out. Everything else was perfect, more than I imagined.

Sent on 08/18/2008

Katie · Married on 06/16/2007

2.5

Oceancliff is a wedding factory (they do probably 3/weekend on average) but as a result they are experts. They know what they are doing and do a good job.

Sent on 07/24/2007

Keeley · Married on 09/23/2007

3.8
      2.5

Oceancliff did a wonderful job communicating with us. We would highly recommend this place to anyone. Although it is a little spendy, it is well worth it....the views and the location and absolutely perfect!

Sent on 12/13/2007

Lynn · Married on 09/13/2018

3.0

This is an amazing , beautiful venue . The staff was very friendly and helpful . Our daughter was married at ocean cliff on a Thursday which is supposed to be less expensive . We found it to be overpriced and the steak on the reserve menu was horrible image our surprise when we payed $85.00 a plate and our guests couldn't even eat their meal they also charge over $3..00 a person to cut and serve the wedding cake . D. J . Amoto was too loud and played only to younger crowd . We suggest you look at other venues . Over rated and disappointing for a 3 star hotel we had a 1 star experience . Think twice about this venue, if your spending 30,000-40,000 for a wedding you should have nothing but perfection. Our experience was heartbreaking . Couples don't forget the two things that make a great reception are the food and the music ..

Sent on 09/20/2018

3.5

If I did not have to also consider the sales associate we worked with to book this venue it would be 5 stars all around. The two women who did 90% of the work, Amy and Cory, were just amazing. Amy helped us plan everything from start to finish and she was a pleasure- patient and honest and very easy to work with. Cory, the day of person, was professional and ran a beautiful party- you know someone is working hard when it all seems seamless! I also want to say Laura, the server who waited on the bride and groom, was also a delight. I had no idea there would be a server focused on the couple, and it was a great surprise. Food was great, venue was great!

The only person we were unimpressed with was the sales woman- once she had our money, there was ZERO communication back. It was quite a shock and seemed out of character with the rest of our experience (thank goodness!)

Sent on 10/29/2015

DawnMarie · Married on 11/12/2011

2.0

My husband and I, who are from NYC, just had our wedding at the OceanCliff and it was AMAZING!!! We rented out all of the rooms for our guests on the estate for both Friday and Saturday night. We held our reception on Saturday night in the ballroom. Everything was perfect. We then opened the safari room for our guests to continue the celebration post wedding. We had also booked Sunday brunch in the Safari Room. Needless to say, we spent alot of our time and money with the OceanCliff. We were lucky to work with great people such as Jim, Rachel, Rebecca and Jodi. They really made sure that our weekend was everything we could have asked for. I want to give all of them a big THANK YOU.

Now for the not so great news. When you first go to see the venue you are set up to work with a sales person, ours was Galen Cobb. I suggest not working with her if you choose to plan a wedding at the OceanCliff. She is very responsive and nice until your 50% deposit is received. Then she is no where to be found. Emails and phone calls went until this day unanswered. There were at times when we were frustrated due to not hearing back from Galen and her response to us was: "well you seemed upset, so I didnt want to call you"??? Her job is to sell you your dream wedding, and let me just say she is not good at doing that. We also never received a thank you note or email from her regarding our decision to have our wedding there. For the amount of money you are spending with the OceanCliff, you would expect the salesperson to be more attentive to your needs.

If it was not for the truly disappointing experience we had with Galen Cobb, I would have given the OceanCliff a 5 out of 5. They do an amazing job and the people you are lucky enough to work with the day of your wedding really are wonderful.

Sent on 11/27/2011

Andrea · Married on 08/30/2003

3.0

Very professional operation. Staff is very skilled in orchestrating an elegant weddig. Weddin coordinator forget 2 planning details that were promised.

Sent on 10/28/2007

Cassidy · Married on 09/26/2016

3.4
      3.0

The views and decor are breathtaking, and honestly that's what your paying for at OceanCliff. Trying to contact them with a response time any less than a week is difficult once you sign the contract. They are accustom to doing weddings in a certain way and if you waver and try to do it in a different order (meaning who walks on what side down the aisle or when the speech of the Best Man is or if their is a certain dance etc) then you may need to remind them multiple times (even if you wrote it down). The food however was great! The servers at the venue were outstanding. The head people (managers) needed to contact and work with were not as good as expected. I expected more customer service and responsiveness then what I had received. However its a beautiful place with great food!

Sent on 10/05/2016
  • Elissa

Elissa · Married on 04/22/2017

2.2
      1.0
      2.0
      3.0

The venue itself is beautiful and the food is good but be prepared to figure out and do everything yourself. Also, be aware that they have no security in place to prevent hotel guests from wandering around; At the end of my wedding I was approached by two total strangers carrying favor bags in their hands who complimented the reception then complained about the noise as they could hear the party from their room.
    Sales gave us misinformation about the hotel rooms and afterparty, even being short to the point of rudeness when I tried to get answers. Of course, I should have been directing afterparty questions to the "Safari Room" team (or is it the "Banquet" team?) but didn't find that out until a meeting with Catering a few weeks before the actual wedding day.
    When I sent emails to the various teams it would take up to a week to get a response. There is a completely different set of staff for almost every aspect of the day and they don't seem altogether that interested in communicating to each other. I would often make a guess as to who I should ask a question only to get an email days later saying only "That should be directed to the X team."
    Another review mentioned that the staff helped unload and reload their car. We received no such assistance.
    Our day-of-coordinator was nice, and our "captain" did a good job getting us food during the cocktail hour. However, the only thing I asked him to do was to make sure we always had water at the sweetheart table and my glass was empty most of the evening.
    For the price I was expecting a lot more.

Sent on 04/27/2017

0.4
      0.5

Unfortunately, the beauty and elegance of the Oceancliff was spoiled by their representative's lack of grace in her interactions with me and my fiancé. After visiting on more than one occasion, this venue was at the top of our short list and we were overjoyed to find out that our desired date was available. This is where our excitement ended. We received a sample contract, which was short compared to the other two venues on the top of our list. After attempting to negotiate, we quickly realized that the contract was brief with very little room for creating the "wedding of our dreams," as promised. We thanked the representative for her time, respectfully declined, and took this venue off of our list. We were then contacted and told that other couples would have chosen differently, she apologized for what she assumed was a miscommunication within my family, and the phrase "wasting everyone's time" was used in reference to the time we spent together. For us, this was completely unprofessional and passive-aggressive. To think that any time spent representing Oceancliff was considered time wasted does not speak well of her nor the company. As a result, in addition to not getting our business, the event management does not get our recommendation either. Go elsewhere. I am happy to report that we found another Newport location closer to the water and with an event manager that has plenty of professionalism and enthusiasm to go around. Being personable goes a very long way in sales!

Sent on 08/11/2013

J · Married on 02/01/2010

0.0

We attempted to hold our wedding at Oceancliff, and proceeded with our plans. Unfortunately the staff that runs this site will only "wow" you with booking. Once you sign the paperwork they are no where to be found, and do not return your phone calls. The only form of communication was via email days after the attempts would begin. Oceancliff has ruined everything about a couple starting off their life together. The overall experience was like none I have every had to deal with in my life.

Sent on 03/01/2010