Norfolk Botanical Garden Reviews

Norfolk Botanical Garden 3
Norfolk Botanical Garden 4

Virginia Sawyer · Getting married on 05/09/2020

Amazing Experience!

On the day of our tour it was raining off and on AND we got stuck in traffic and we were running late. They were so friendly and accommodating. The facilities themselves are beautiful. They answered every question we could think of while we were there and never took more than a few hours to respond to emailed questions after that. They have been fantastic so far!

Sent on 05/08/2019

Cheyenne Grimstead · Getting married on 11/02/2019

Happy Bride-to-be!!!

Ashley with Weddings at NBG has been AMAZING from the very beginning! We met last month, she gave me a tour of NBG, and I found my DREAM venue! She is so friendly and kind, and knowledgable of the gardens! I’m so excited to get married here in late 2019. Thank you Ashley & NBG team!!!

Sent on 04/11/2019

Aleta · Married on 06/08/2019

Beautiful and Perfect for our Garden Wedding

Norfolk Botanical Gardens was the most perfect wedding venue we could have imagined. They responded quickly when we contacted them for a tour, and were able to see us that coming weekend. We were taken on a golf cart ride through the gardens to see the different ceremony spots available in the package we were interested in. After we booked, we were given a year’s membership to the gardens, which we definitely took advantage of! This place is beyond gorgeous! The weeks leading up to the event, the garden staff was so helpful in ironing out the final details and answering any questions I could think of. On the day of our wedding, we were provided a classroom each for the bride and groom to get ready in. These rooms were very spacious and had a mirror and clothes rack so we could finish getting ready. With rain in the forecast, we had to make a rain call by 4pm, and when we decided we still wanted to be outside, they made sure there were mats put down on the aisle so I wouldn’t have to walk through mud. After the ceremony, Lena was super helpful in following us around with our photographer on the golf cart to make sure we had a ride back to cocktail hour when we were ready. The week after the event, when we went to open our cards, we saw there was even a congratulations card from the garden staff, which was such a sweet thing to do. Everyone commented on how beautiful everything was. If you are looking for a gorgeous garden wedding, NBG is definitely the perfect venue!

Sent on 06/21/2019
  • COURTNEY

COURTNEY · Married on 04/04/2019

My Wedding was Extraordinary

We went with the elopement package because we had a small budget and a short guest list. We chose Bakers Outlook for the ceremony. Ashley and Lena were FANTASTIC! They were so helpful and kind even as we incountered a few hiccups. I would recommend Norfolk Botanical Gardens to anyone! They went out of their way to help us create the perfect day. I truly appreciate it from the bottom of my heart.

Sent on 04/15/2019
    Norfolk Botanical Garden 5
    Norfolk Botanical Garden 6
    Norfolk Botanical Garden 7

KELLY · Married on 10/28/2017

Liz was such a pleasure to work with and despite the misty rain, our wedding was GORGEOUS. We held our ceremony at the Butterfly garden gazebo, our cocktail hour at the Perennial fountain garden and our reception at the Baker Hall Terrace and it was all so beautiful. The staff took the extra step of making sure the ceremony site was not soggy for us to walk through (as best as they could) and took special care of my father who is mostly wheelchair bound, to ensure he did not struggle with getting where he needed to be. The staff worked well with the other vendors to determine if a last minute change was needed due to the weather, but it held out and our guests had an amazing time. I would definitely recommend booking early, especially if you want a fall wedding.

Sent on 10/25/2017
    Norfolk Botanical Garden 8

Melissa · Married on 09/23/2017

We had a great experience with the Botanical Gardens. From our first tour, until the end of the wedding night, they were very friendly, professional, responsive and helpful. We could not have imagined a more beautiful location to get married and the day was amazing! Liz, was perfect, from everything the day of, to golf carting us around to the first look, ceremony and couples portraits. This is a great place to get married!

Sent on 10/23/2017

Tamara · Married on 09/02/2017

My husband and I planned (for almost a year) a beach wedding with a tent lawn reception. Unfortunately, the weather did not cooperate and 3 days before our wedding we had to find a new venue. Needless to say, I was SHOCKED that 3 days before the Botanical Gardens Rose Garden Hall was still available. Everything was absolutely stunning. The vendors, caterer, alcohol and rentals were easily transitioned to the site. A flexibility that every bride needs. The rain held off all morning, and we were able to get married outside in the gardens. But just after the first kiss during the ceremony, it really started coming down. The NBG staff quickly passed out umbrellas to all of the guests and once we were married, they swiftly scurried our guests into the trams to head back to the gazebo for cocktail hour. Everything about this wedding, from the change of location, to the timing of the rain, was just perfect. Liz Le, our staff coordinator went above and beyond to make sure all our needs were met and that the impossible was made possible. I don't recommend that anyone plan a wedding in 3 days (trust me, you don't need the stress), but I ABSOLUTELY recommend you host your wedding here. It will not disappoint.

Sent on 09/12/2017
  • Zach & Meghan

Meghan · Married on 07/29/2017

The Norfolk Botanical Garden could not have been a better venue for our wedding. From the first day, the employees were flexible, responsive, helpful, professional, and a valuable asset to planning our special day. We were unable to take a venue tour due to living out of town, and staff, especially Liz, went above and beyond to send us all the information we could need, as well as answered all of our many questions. Over the year since we booked our wedding, Liz continued to be an incredible resource, helping us as we planned. When the wedding weekend came, the staff could not have been more accommodating. We are so thankful for their flexibility. Our wedding was supposed to be outdoors in the Renaissance Court, but it was raining terribly on our wedding day. The Botanical Garden offered us another indoor space and was so flexible in setting up the rain plan the day of the event. They did a great job making our day magical and cozy even though we weren't able to have the ceremony outside. Thank you NBG!

Sent on 08/16/2017

Rebecca · Married on 06/24/2017

Norfolk Botanical Gardens was awesome! The venue was gorgeous. The staff were very friendly, professional, courteous, and efficient. Liz Lee and the events team were helpful, prompt with communicating, and encouraging: They did an amazing job keeping me organized and supported throughout the entire planning process. I was married in the Japanese garden, and had my reception at the Marigold and Honey Cafe. My guests all raved about how great the location, staff, and food were. I can't say enough great things about my wedding experience.

Sent on 06/30/2017

Kristy · Married on 03/25/2017

Norfolk Botanical Gardens was everything we could have dreamed of and more for our wedding! Liz was great; she was responsive to emails and very helpful with the millions of little questions we had. We chose the Butterfly Garden for our ceremony, Baker Hall Terrace for cocktail hour and Baker Hall for our reception. Everything was laid our exactly as we set up. Liz was there the day of and drove us around, made sure we had everything we needed and suggested some amazing locations for our photos, pointing out the places that were in bloom that weekend! If we were to do it all over again, we'd still pick Liz at NBG!

Sent on 04/05/2017

Liz, a wedding coordinator with the garden is wonderful. We had our reception in Baker Hall. While it looks small during visiting hours, it works very well as a reception space. If I had to do the day over, I would pick the Botanical gardens again.

Sent on 11/09/2015
  • W

Jessica · Married on 10/08/2015

My husband and I had our wedding at the Norfolk Botanical Gardens on October 8th. They were fantastic! They just got an entire new team for weddings, and we worked with Liz. Liz was wonderful! Before the wedding she was always available via email for any questions or concerns I had (I'm sure she would have been available via phone as well, I just don't like talking on the phone much). There were several times when I wanted to stop in to take a measurement of something for decorations or try to figure out layouts for the reception and ceremony or come show our parents/bridal party the venue, and as long as there wasn't another event happening at the time, Liz would let us come in. She was very flexible and understanding with us! One day when we came to try to figure out the layout for the ceremony, there were two men at our site setting up chairs for a ceremony later that day. They were WONDERFUL! They let us move the chairs around to figure out how we wanted them and they gave us some GREAT advice on setups!

On the actual wedding day, Liz drove us in the golf cart to the ceremony site and back to the reception site after our pictures. She even spread and straightened my dress for me right before I walked down the aisle!! Our wedding coordinator (who we brought in separate from the gardens) was not the best. She was somewhat rude and really stressed us out rather than help us, but Liz was there and totally calmed everyone down and she helped out a LOT! The Gardens themselves were as beautiful as anyone could hope for for their wedding. The one downside to our wedding was the coordinator we brought in, but Liz and the other staff we had completely made up for that. They went above and beyond what I expected and they helped to make our wedding truly memorable! I would recommend them to anyone and everyone!

Sent on 11/04/2015

Debbie · Married on 10/03/2015

We had our wedding ceremony and reception at Baker Hall and it was absolutely beautiful. We worked with Liz who was very attentive and professional throughout our planning process. We were unable to have our rehearsal at the venue due to inclement weather causing the entrance to the garden to flood and Liz was quick to relay this information so we could plan accordingly. Liz played a vital part in our wedding going smoothly despite the weather. We were very pleased with the venue and how it was presented to our guests.

Sent on 10/08/2015

Jessica · Married on 09/19/2015

Excellent Staff! So friendly and helpful. Absolutely great things to say about everyone there. Beautiful venue! Would do it all over again!

Sent on 10/05/2015

Katherine · Married on 08/08/2015

I can't express how wonderful the Norfolk Botanical Garden is for a wedding! It's absolutely gorgeous and the wedding department is wonderful to work with. Liz Le made sure we had everything we needed before the big day and was always an email or call away if I had a question. We were so glad we picked this location for our wedding because of the beauty in itself we felt as if we didn't have to decorate a lot for it would seem to over done if we did.

Sent on 08/16/2015

Emily · Married on 05/31/2015

Norfolk Botanical Garden was perfect for us. There are many different sites to pick from, all of them beautiful and varying in size. The Bristow Butterfly Gardens was smaller and more secluded, which was just what we wanted. All of the staff we encountered was friendly, and the wedding coordinators were fabulous.

Amanda Hupp and Kristina Avera coordinated with me and were eager to help and answer all of my questions. The entire ceremony ran smoothly. There was a small miscommunication about transportation that was very easily and quickly resolved.

Sent on 06/04/2015

Chad · Married on 05/31/2015

Loved our wedding! The girls were so helpful with the planning process. Highly Recommend this venue to anyone looking for a picture perfect wedding

Sent on 10/20/2015

My wedding in the Renaissance court turned out absolutely wonderful and Amanda the wedding event coordinator was awesome working with us to help plan things and very responsive.

Sent on 10/22/2014

Norfolk Botanical Garden was wonderful to work with! They were so easy to set meetings up with, and were always organized and professional during all communication and scheduled meetings. They would even meet with us if we happened to be at the Garden and had a question. Amanda Hupp, our wedding coordinator, was extremely prompt during all communication, and was a pleasure to work with. The day of our wedding we didn't worry about anything, because we knew all the details would be taken care of. I recommend their services to anyone planning an event and looking for a quality, professional vendor!

Sent on 08/14/2014

Nicole · Married on 06/28/2014

BOOK EARLY GIRLS!!!! NBG's is a hot spot for outdoor weddings in Hampton Roads. We lucked out with the Renaissance Court two weeks before our wedding (due to unforeseen issues) and everything was meant to be! ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!!! We could not have asked for anything more!

Sent on 07/05/2014

Jennifer · Married on 05/24/2014

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. If you are planning an wedding be sure to ask for Amanda in wedding. She will see you through from beginning to end and make your day amazing!

Sent on 06/04/2014

Kristen · Married on 04/19/2014

My husband and I wanted to have an outdoor garden ceremony and at first had ruled out the Norfolk Botanical Garden due to pricing. After some research, I stumbled upon a private ceremony option that wasn't well advertised. When I called and asked about it, we learned that a private ceremony included a 2-hr window to have your ceremony ANYWHERE in the gardens with up to 30 guests and unlimited bridal party participants. (They even provide you with the chairs for the guests.) We decided to pay a bit extra for the garden's private tram option to pick up and drop off guests. I HIGHLY recommend that if you're planning on being in the gardens and away from the visitor center since it's easy to get lost.

I think there are two "catches" with this option. One is that there is no staff present for your ceremony. We didn't see that as a problem but some brides might. The second, which was a bit of an issues for us, is that there's only 30 guests allowed. Our invite list was 110 people so we had to decide if we were ok shortening the ceremony invite list or if we wanted to go elsewhere. We decided to only invite immediate family, bridal party spouses/kids, and close friends to the ceremony. Everyone else was only invited to the reception. In hindsight, I absolutely have no regrets. Having our amazing pictures and memories to last a lifetime is worth so much more to me than if we would've gone elsewhere just to include some extended family I'll probably only see again when my cousins get married.
    Lastly, I've heard that this option has since been nixxed from the gardens bridal packages, but I hope for future couples they consider bringing this back. If not, I definitely encourage brides to always ask about this option at other venues. You may be delightfully surprised like we were :)

Sent on 05/21/2014

Kay · Married on 09/07/2013

Our wedding day at Norfolk botanical gardens was truly amazing thanks to Primo Events and the amazing vendors. Planning a wedding is very time consuming and my fiance' and I work long hours and have conflicting work schedules so trying to meet with the vendors together was next to impossible. I decided to look on the Knot wedding site and found Virginia weddings by Primo events and noticed they could bring the vendors to our ceremony and reception site. We chose a wedding package that included a caterer, coordinator, dj,, photographer, and florist. Our wedding was handled by Ron who worked with us from the beginning to the end. I couldn't have a wedding without these wonderful people. Thank you sooo much.

Sent on 05/21/2014

Theresa · Married on 05/18/2013

A beautiful location to celebrate your wedding. We had ours in the Rose Garden. Visit the location and it will sell itself. Very pretty gardens!

Sent on 06/02/2013