Museum of Life and Science Reviews

31 | Durham, NC

31 Reviews for Museum of Life and Science

• Jordan

Jordan L. · Married on 08/08/2020

Perfect package for an intimate wedding

My now-husband and I had planned our August 2020 wedding at a different venue but had to downsize our guest list and change our plans considerably due to COVID-19. We had frequented After Hours events at the Museum in the past and were thrilled when we came across their Intimate Wonder packages for up to 20 people. Rachel was so helpful and flexible in pivoting nearly everything about our wedding and really felt like a friend through the whole crazy process. It was so easy to create a perfect wedding plan using the all-inclusive package options even though we only started planning two months before the big day. We were even able to add on access to Museum spaces other than our ceremony/reception location (the butterfly house lawn and tent) to get some unique photos of the two of us!

We were the first event the Museum hosted after their re-opening and the evening ran like clockwork. Everything was gorgeous, the staff moved us to the rain plan quickly when it was needed, and the food and cake were absolutely delicious! We highly recommend the Intimate Wonder package for anyone looking for a unique venue and super easy coordination with amazing vendors at an affordable price for an intimate group of family and friends.

Sent on 08/30/2020
  • Alexandra

Alexandra · Married on 10/19/2019

So many compliments from our guests

We absolutely loved our venue. After the wedding, we had many guests reach out to us and tell us that it was the most fun they’d had at a wedding in a long time. They loved being able to explore the butterfly house and insect exhibit. Also, the photos with the dinosaurs and butterfly house as backdrops were stunning.

Sent on 04/23/2020

Museum of Life and Science's reply:

Alex, we are so happy to hear that you and your guests had such a wonderful time! The Butterfly House is a fantastic place to keep guests entertained and active at your wedding during family photos!
  • Michaela

Michaela · Married on 10/05/2019

A Magical Event with the Museum

Got married in October of this year - I am hearing back all the time about how fun, unique and unforgettable my wedding was. I couldn't have been happier with my experience with the museum, from planning with Lauren all the way up to the day.

For my wedding and reception, I wanted our celebration to not just be about us, but also be a genuinely fun event for my family and friends. I started researching the Museum of Life and Science because it was one of my favorite places to go as a kid, and I was so excited to see that they were open for special events. At our reception, we had the train at the museum running, liquid nitrogen margaritas and the insectarium and butterfly house open for touring. Obviously none of this would be feasible at a different venue. There are a number of different package options you can pick throughout the museum - and the best part is if you pick one of the outdoor options as I did, you will automatically have a fantastic indoor rain plan set up for you. We also had first look photos at various exhibits throughout the grounds that turned out magical.

This was truly the best night of my life and I'm so thankful to Lauren and the Museum of Life and Science for helping put it all together!

Sent on 11/19/2019

Hannah L. · Married on 08/24/2019

Wonderful experience

Selecting the Museum of Life + Science as a our venue was definitely one of the best decisions we made when wedding planning. Working with Lauren was great and the entire process was really straightforward. They're not the cheapest option in town, but you get what you pay for - we received tons of compliments from our guests about how professional and helpful the museum staff were during the wedding and reception. They also raved about how beautiful the butterfly house and lawn were. Overall, we could not have been happier!

Sent on 09/03/2019
  • Richard

Richard B. · Married on 06/22/2019

Absolutely Gorgeous Venue for Outdoor Wedding

We held our wedding here on June 22, 2019. From guests who visited during the day to guests that were seeing the museum for the first time at our ceremony, everyone had positive things to say about our choice of venue. My favorite part was doing our first look in the butterfly house. It was such a magical place to see my bride in her wedding dress for the first time. I was awestruck. I couldn’t have asked for a better moment.

The museum staff were great with Lauren helping coordinate our wedding up until the day-of and Chase coordinating the day-of. They answered all our questions and were on top of anything that came up. We were a little eager to move forward when we booked the venue nearly a year and a half before our wedding, but Lauren was great at working with us despite having other, nearer, events to work with. The timelines and all the materials we were provided were very helpful!

Lauren and Chase also coordinated our vendors so when we showed up the day-of, everything was setup and ready to go. It was a huge relief to see when we arrived!

All-in-all, we highly recommend the Museum of Life and Science for weddings!

Sent on 06/27/2019
  • Abby

Abby · Married on 05/18/2019

The Wedding Venue of Our DREAMS!

It’s impossible to put into words just how perfect our wedding day was thanks to the Museum of Life and Science and their incredibly wonderful staff. After considering a total of 25 different wedding venues throughout the state (and touring 8 of them), I can say with absolute confidence that, as far as venues go, the Museum of Life and Science is the BEST of the best. We held our ceremony on the lawn outside the butterfly house and had our reception under the special events tent. WEEKS after our wedding, guests are still commenting on how “magical” our venue was, and we couldn’t agree more. The grounds are beautifully landscaped, and the glass, butterfly house provides a really dramatic ceremony backdrop, so we were able to keep décor relatively simple since the space is already so naturally gorgeous.

But in addition to the incredible space itself, Lauren and the rest of the museum staff were an absolute DREAM to work with and made the sometimes complex and overwhelming process of wedding planning so manageable! From the moment we first met Lauren, she made us feel so taken care of and reassured that our wedding day would go off without a hitch (which it ultimately did!). Lauren was ALWAYS available to answer our questions in the months leading up to the wedding, to advocate for us when some challenges arose with a few of our vendors, and to make sure all our needs were met on the day of. She worked so closely with us (and so well with the rest of our vendors) that she truly felt like a friend by our wedding day. On top of that, all the museum staff we interacted with on the day of the wedding were absolute saints and treated us like royalty. One staff member drove us around the grounds in our own private golf cart so we could squeeze in a bunch of pictures at different exhibits while another caught butterflies for us to use in our photographs (talk about going above and beyond the call of duty!). Everyone blended seamlessly into our day with warmth and professionalism, and we just couldn’t have asked for better folks to spend our special day with! If you’re still on the hunt for a wedding venue, you can stop searching now because this one can’t be beat! Pro Tip: We HIGHLY recommend picking a date in May when all the flowers are in bloom!

Sent on 06/03/2019

Museum of Life and Science's reply:

Abby, thank you so much for your kind words! You and Adam were a pleasure to work with and we wish you both a long and happy life together!
  • Eleanor

Eleanor · Married on 04/27/2019

Wonderful in every way!

Lauren and her team at the Museum made our wedding so special! We decided to get married in the treehouses, and Lauren did a wonderful job of figuring out how to stage the ceremony so that guests could see, hear, and enjoy everything. The photos beforehand on the Dinosaur Trail, the cocktail hour in the Butterfly House, and the reception on the lawn were all perfect. While load-in time at this venue is pretty short since it’s an active children’s museum, Lauren still made it easy for us to have everything ready on time. We also appreciated having access to a golf cart to help move guests with mobility challenges.

I grew up going to the Museum as a kid, so to get married there was meaningful and magical. Highly, highly recommend this venue and their warm, capable, responsive events team!!

Sent on 04/29/2019

Museum of Life and Science's reply:

Eleanor, we were so happy to be a part of your wedding day! Thank you so much for the kind words and we look forward to seeing you and Jalal in the future!

Catherine · Married on 10/06/2018

Our wedding at the Museum of Life and Science was absolutely perfect! Lauren was responsive and a delight to work with throughout the planning process, and the rest of the day of staff were friendly and completely on top of everything. Our wedding day went off without a hitch and we appreciated that there were no hidden costs for anything. We chose the magic wings package (ceremony on the lawn, cocktail hour in the butterfly house, reception under the tent) and it truly was magical. The guests raved about the liquid nitrogen margaritas, the butterfly house, and even the insect exhibits! The only downside is that the time frame for set up is rather limited since you have to wait until the Museum closes to start setting up. The Museum was clear about that from the start so it wasn't a surprise, but if you choose the Museum, be sure to discuss this early on with your other vendors (especially your florist) to ensure that your plans can realistically be set up in only an hour!

Sent on 10/14/2018

Museum of Life and Science's reply:

Thank you so much for your wonderful review, Catherine! It was a pleasure working with you and Zili and we wish you a long and happy life together!

Rachael · Married on 06/16/2018

My husband and I are a local wedding + couples photography team, we coordinated with the museum to use the butterfly house for a recent maternity session. Our experience was fantastic, Sarah was amazing to work with and so quick in her responses to any questions we had. The rate to use to the exhibit for the session was very reasonably priced and definitely worth every penny! Sarah even tagged along with us on the day of the session to help manage the museum visitor traffic during our shoot. She showed us some great outdoor spots to use in addition to the exhibit itself. The Magic Wings butterfly house was gorgeous and so well maintained. It was a perfect backdrop and a fun experience. I hope to return in the future with more of my clients! It was all around a fantastic time and I highly recommend working with the museum and their events staff.

Sent on 07/06/2018

Kassy · Married on 10/14/2017

I can't imagine a more magical and fun place to get married. We chose the "special events tent" outside of the butterfly garden, and it was perfect. I wish we could do it all over again!

Sent on 11/04/2017

Thank you Kassy!

We had our wedding ceremony at the Museum of Life and Science and it was beautiful! Lauren was very easy to work with and graciously answered my dozens of questions. The day of the staff was very accommodating and helpful. We're so pleased we chose this as our ceremony venue!

Sent on 11/12/2017

Thank you Jessica!

Jamie · Married on 05/20/2017

We could not be happier with our choice to have our wedding at the Museum of Life and Science! It is such a unique venue and it's perfect for those who might not want the classic church/ballroom event. One of the best parts of having your wedding there is being able to take pictures all over the grounds, our photographer was so excited to shoot in the butterfly house and in the hideaway woods. Another benefit is the ability to move your event inside if you decide to book the lawn/tent and the forecast shows rain, which was my biggest fear in choosing an outdoor venue. Also, Lauren, the events manager, was absolutely wonderful to work with and was on top of everything during the planning process and the event itself.

Sent on 05/29/2017

Thank you Jamie!

Rachel · Married on 04/21/2017

I want to find another reason to throw a giant party just so we can have it here! The Museum is gorgeous, interesting, and amazing. The staff were incredible and helpful in every way. Love, love, love.

Sent on 04/27/2017

Thank you Rachel!

Jessica · Married on 04/01/2017

Seriously, this is an amazing venue! All of our guests commented on how great and unique it was. The staff was incredible; they were flexible and worked hard to help everything run smoothly. They took care of so much of the day, we hardly had anything to worry about. It was a little pricier than having our wedding in, say, a hotel ballroom but TOTALLY worth the extra cost.

Sent on 04/11/2017

Thank you Jessica!

Carrie · Married on 01/22/2017

Couldn't imagine our wedding being anymore perfect then it already was. It was worth every penny and then some and the rentals team work tirelessly to ensure your day goes off without a hitch! I wish I could re do the day exactly as it was! Thank you MLS staff! Xo

Sent on 02/04/2017

Jennie · Married on 06/13/2015

My husband and I knew from the moment that we visited that we wanted to have our wedding at the Museum of Life & Science. We chose to use the indoor spaces (aerospace room, math, weather) because we wanted people to be able to play with the exhibits. The prices were very reasonable and they worked with us to make sure that we were able to stay in budget. Tiera (the new events coordinator) was great with responding to my emails and helping us drop things off ahead of time. They were super flexible with our ideas and everyone raved about what a cool space it was. I loved that you can take your photos anywhere on the property, even if you aren't renting that space (bridal party with dinosaurs!!!) They also have really fun add-ons such as a photobooth or train rides. It is such a unique space if you are wanting to do something a little different and the staff is a pleasure to work with.

Sent on 06/20/2015

Erin · Married on 06/07/2014

We had gone to an after-hours event at the Museum of Life and Science before my fiancé and I were engaged. When we were looking for places to get married that would reflect us, we thought about the Museum. We wanted to have the wedding outside but knew we’d need a backup area in case of rain, extreme heat, etc. The Museum was perfect. They only schedule one event per night so if the weather is iffy, you can move it inside. We used the lawn area next to the Butterfly House and it was great. Kelly and her team coordinated everything without a hitch. The space was lovely and I have had nothing but compliments about how everything went. How can you beat providing your guests with a train during cocktail hour?

Sent on 08/03/2014

The museum was wonderful and easy to work with. They provided an incredible wedding coordinator and made all the arrangements with vendors. They had plenty of experience hosting large events, so they had every last detail covered. Wonderful experience!

Sent on 04/05/2013

Liz · Married on 06/23/2012

I agree! Kelly Taylor and her staff are absolutely wonderful to work with... they listened to what we wanted and then made it happen beautifully, smoothly and behind the scenes. The location is absolutely magical as well! So beautiful and so many fun things for guests to do, from train rides, to liquid nitrogen margaritas to butterfly watching.

Sent on 08/06/2012

Sarah · Married on 04/23/2011

The new events coordinator, Kelly Taylor, is wonderful. She took the position only two weeks before our wedding and worked very closely with us to make everything go extremely seamlessly. She is extremely responsive and works hard to make sure you don't have to work hard on your big day. Also, the Museum staff, especially Shawntel Landavazzo and Kirstin Hawley, do a wonderful job managing the events and decorations as well. Couldn't have been happier with these three ladies.

Sent on 05/16/2011

Veronica · Married on 07/08/2017

Guests absolutely loved our venue. We loved our venue. Everything was awesome and the childcare was a wonderful treat for parents attending. Most of our guests used the photo booth and the liquid nitrogen lab was a hit. We used hideaway woods for the ceremony, (thunderstorm during a tree house wedding), and aerospace + math & weather for the reception. Several of our guests have said this was the best wedding they have ever attended, we put a lot of that on the venue and our coordinator Lauren. The whole team was on their game.

Sent on 07/29/2017

Thank you Veronica!

Meghan · Married on 01/31/2015

We originally were planning on having our wedding ceremony in a church, but due to unforseen circumstances, we had to find a new venue. With just a couple of months away, Kelly was very accommodating to our situation. We were able to smoothly have our ceremony at the museum as well as take formals beforehand. We had an awesome time and I'm glad we had to make the sudden change in venue! I couldn't have been happier!

Sent on 04/01/2015

Janel · Married on 12/13/2014

If you have a small wedding (under 40 guests) take advantage of having your ceremony inside of the butterfly enclosure. It's beautiful, natural, and requires no additional decoration. The staff is professional and do everything they can to make your day go off without a hitch.

Sent on 12/21/2014

Jessica · Married on 08/31/2013

For our guests that know us, it made sense why we chose the museum for our reception- it reflects both of our personalities quite well.

What our guests maybe didn't know to appreciate is how incredibly well equipped the museum is for planning out events. Kelly, the on-staff event coordinator, was so wonderful throughout the whole process. She helped us think through how to best use the space, and worked with us in many ways to keep our costs down. She walked us through so many details in preparation for the event, and then the day of, Kelly and her team worked with the caterers and other vendors behind the scenes to make sure the whole event flowed smoothly and according to plan.

We even had the train running for our guests to ride throughout the reception (best $$ ever spent!).

We had a ball, our guests had a ball. I really hope someone I know gets married there soon because I can't wait to go back!

The only annoyance (piddly when compared with all of the many things we loved about having our reception at the museum) was a few unexpected clean-up charges that got tagged on by the maintenance folks at the end.

Other than that, we loved everything about our reception at the Museum!

Sent on 11/15/2013

Kacey · Married on 06/03/2018

Museum of Life and Science June Wedding

The Museum wedding coordinator, Lauren, was amazing and super helpful. She answered all our questions promptly and took away a lot of our worry. The venue is beautiful and so unique.

Sent on 12/06/2018

Museum of Life and Science's reply:

Kacey, thank you so much for your kind words. It was a pleasure to work with you and Adrian! We hope to see you around campus in the years to come!