Mountain House on Sunday River Reviews

Mountain House on Sunday River 5
  • Rachael

Rachael Ciskowski · Getting married on 10/17/2020

Julie was amazing

My fiance and I decided not to book with Mountain House on Sunday River but only because of the logistics of family travel as I have several members coming from different states.

I want to take the time to just acknowledge how responsive and helpful Julie was during this whole process! We are having a very small intimate wedding and have found that very hard to book (especially with the popular rustic feel) because most venues want 50+ as their minimum guest list. Julie was so helpful creating a package and brochure for us that suited what we were looking for. She responded to all of my questions and concerns so promptly and even came to us with back up plans and alternative approaches in case the weather turned for our wedding day.

Despite having found a venue closer to home Mountain House on Sunday River was a top contender for us to choose as our venue and I just wanted to share the wonderful experience I had. Planning a wedding can be so stressful, especially when you have such a small wedding but want a very specific vision for your wedding and Julie was one of the few venues that made me hopeful I wouldn't have to compromise on my vision.

Sent on 08/06/2019

Mountain House on Sunday River's reply:

Thank you Rachael! We are so sorry that we won't be hosting your special day, and Frank and I wish you and Scott a magical day with many years of adventure, Love, and Happiness to follow!

Best always, Julie

Kaitlin · Married on 10/19/2018

I cannot say enough amazing things about this venue and it's owners. This location is absolutely breathtaking pictures don't do it justice. Julie and Frank have gone above and beyond to make sure everything falls into place for my special day. I highly recommend Mountain House for your wedding weekend!

Sent on 10/29/2017

Jane · Married on 10/13/2018

Fall Wedding at Sunday River

Julie and Frank were instrumental in making our daughter's wedding on October 13, 2018 a perfect day to remember always. When we first contacted them, Julie and Frank were excited, responsive, and so willing to offer creative options for customizing the day in any way we wanted! The fall at The Mountain House on Sunday River is exceptionally beautiful, with the fall foliage on full display. The meadow, overlooking Sunday River, was the perfect spot for the ceremony with the mountains awash in a sea of reds, oranges, and yellows. Julie was our "Day of..." coordinator as well, and we felt relieved knowing that she would take care of every detail, thus eliminating some of the wedding "stress." We are very particular about details, and though we must have driven Julie crazy with such attention to these details, she never showed any irritation with our questions, suggestions, or worries as we planned a "mountain chic" wedding. Instead, she assured us that all would be done exactly as we asked, and it was! On the day of the wedding, it rained on and off several times before the ceremony. After each shower, Frank dutifully went to the meadow and wiped 160 chairs dry for our guests. Finally, just as the hour approached, the clouds parted and the setting was magical- blue sky and puffy white clouds just as we had hoped! Julie and Frank took care of every detail no matter how small or insignificant, and opened their venue, including two homes for our guests, for the most fun weekend. We couldn't have been happier with the venue or with the coordination and assistance of Julie and Frank. It was a weekend we'll never forget and we highly recommend The Mountain House if you're looking for a beautiful outdoor setting for your wedding. You won't be disappointed!

Mountain House on Sunday River 6
    Mountain House on Sunday River 7
    Sent on 10/18/2018

Abby · Married on 08/22/2018

Amazing!

I attending a wedding there this summer and I couldn’t believe how beautiful and how nice the staff was. It was the most gorgeous place I’ve ever seen a wedding!!! Anyone looking to get married I recommend MOUNTAIN HOUSE!!!

Sent on 12/28/2018

Lois · Married on 10/14/2017

My daughter was married at the Mountain House on Sunday River this past October 2017. We had almost 200 guests. It surpassed all of our expectations in every way. The setting of the property was breathtaking. Being able to stay there the entire weekend in such homey lodging added so much more quality time with our family and friends. We had our ceremony in the pine grove chapel. It could not have been more beautiful. The reception under the tent followed by dancing in the attached barn area was just the perfect place to celebrate. (Most of our guests stayed just 5 minutes away at the Sunday River Grand Summit Hotel. The outdoor pool, inclusive breakfast and spacious rooms were perfect. All of our guests were thrilled to be there).

Additionally, Julie and Frank of the Mountain House were wonderful to work with from start to finish. They could not have been more accommodating to some of our special requests. The last thing I said to Julie before leaving was to thank her for creating this very special venue. It truly was a gift to have been there for one of the happiest occasions of our lives.

Lastly, I can not tell you how many of our friends and family sincerely stated that our wedding was one of the best and most beautiful they have ever been to. We could not highly recommend Mountain House enough.

Mountain House on Sunday River 8
    Mountain House on Sunday River 9
    Mountain House on Sunday River 10
    Mountain House on Sunday River 11
    Mountain House on Sunday River 12
    Mountain House on Sunday River 13
    Sent on 11/17/2017

lauren · Married on 09/30/2017

The perfect venue!!! If you are looking for boho rustic chic then look no further! Julie and Frank were wonderful to work with and made the entire experience perfect!

Mountain House on Sunday River 14
    Mountain House on Sunday River 15
    Mountain House on Sunday River 16
    Mountain House on Sunday River 17
    Sent on 11/13/2017

Richelle · Married on 08/26/2017

Our Wedding at the Mountain House this August with Julie was absolutely perfect! The property and site were unbelievably breathtaking. The farmhouse and lodge accommodations were clean, comfortable, and prefect for our entire wedding party guests. It was so nice to be on-site the entire weekend with our party and so close for all the events. We never left the property the entire weekend. We had our lobster bake rehearsal dinner on site, highly recommended. The wedding catering and food was delicious and far exceeded our expectations for any wedding we've been to. They worked so well to accommodate dietary needs. The set-up of everything was just stunning. The dancing on the breeze barn deck was welcoming for all. The guest were all raving about the food and property. Julie was a huge help from start to finish and we planned our wedding in 4-months from where we reside in North Carolina today not having seen it in person until that weekend. I was in love with everything the minute we drove up to it and had a huge smile on my face. We couldn't have done it without Julie and Frank. The fire pit was a lovely gathering place. The pine forest was amazing for our ceremony with the mid afternoon sunlight. There were so many wonderful places to take photos on sight with great lighting, a photographers dream. Perfect in every single way! Take time to breath it all in. How we got so lucky to have the most amazing wedding there during prime wedding season in short notice was a true blessing we are so grateful for. I want to relive it all over again.

Mountain House on Sunday River 18
    Mountain House on Sunday River 19
    Sent on 11/20/2017

We had a wonderful experience having our wedding at Mountain House on Sunday River, and are really, really happy with how everything turned out!

Mountain House is unique for a number of reasons that really appealed to us. We really wanted to go the DIY route and choose our own vendors (including fo0d), and Mountain House is ideally suited for that. Having lodging on-site for two days let us take more time to prep and decorate, and make the wedding feel like our home; we also felt less stressed about setup and breakdown. The site is really well set up, with nice event bathrooms, a patio for setting up a tent, running power for DJ and lighting equipment, and for bringing in a caterer. But the best feature of all, of course, is the grounds, the stunning view of the mountains and forest. Our ceremony was absolutely beautiful.

We're glad that we decided to have Julie work with us as our day of coordinator, and she and her husband Frank were extremely helpful during the final week of prep as well as the big day. She had useful recommendations on vendors she's worked with as well.

We would definitely recommend Mountain House on Sunday River to couples looking for a unique, rustic, and beautiful Maine wedding.

Sent on 12/13/2016

Chelsea · Married on 09/10/2016

This venue is absolutely breath taking. The property is beautiful and well maintained. I loved that we were able to spend the weekend at the site with all of our friends and family. If you are looking for a DIY venue, this is perfect. We were able to create what we were envisioning. Julie and Frank work hard to ensure that the property is perfect for your wedding weekend. I liked that we were able to pick our own vendors, and not restricted to a specific list, and Julie does a great job recommending vendors in the area. If you are looking for a rustic and whimsical venue, this location will exceed your expectations!

Sent on 10/27/2016

Kaitlin · Married on 09/04/2016

The Mountain House could not have been more perfect for our wedding weekend. Between the accommodations, the fun and games, the expansive property & view, and the amazing September weather we literally could not have asked for anything more. Julie and Frank went out of their way to help make our weekend special, greeting us when we arrived and giving us big hugs, we felt like we really knew them by the end of it all. Julie helped coordinate our day and had wonderful ideas to help me during the planning process. Given I am from out of state, her guidance was crucial to our weekend's success. All our guests have been raving about how awesome the weekend was and what a perfect wedding venue it was and how it fit our personalities so well. Thanks again Julie and Frank for letting us host the best weekend of our lives at your venue, we have a few other wonderful memories in the Sunday River area, but this one surely 'takes the cake'! (pun intended) :)

Sent on 12/18/2016

Ed · Married on 10/17/2015

What a beautiful and perfect place for our wedding! We booked the property sight unseen based on the reviews and photos on the website. The pictures simply don't do it justice. We couldn't have been more pleased! For our small, intimate, nine guest wedding, The charming and rustic Farmhouse was perfect for sleeping all of our guests. However, the property could easily accommodate a much larger wedding. In fact, property is so large, we had a hard time selecting the space for the ceremony...there are so many beautiful options! Waking up in the separate Bridal Suite with amazing views of the mountain was incredibly romantic. The scenery is indescribable. For a fall wedding, we enjoyed the vibrant autumn colors while walking the trails down to Sunday River and playing croquet on the large front lawn. We loved the do-it-yourself aspect of the venue. We created the wedding we wanted, exactly the way we chose. Julie was wonderful. She helped us every step of the way, and went above and beyond to ensure we experienced the wedding of our dreams. Any question or concern we had, she responded immediately with thoughts and suggestions. We highly recommend Mountain House as a scenic and rustic mountain experience for any special event. We hope to return in the future!

Sent on 12/23/2015

Julie and Frank are awesome! Since we were planning our wedding from Florida it was a little nerve wrecking but Julie answered every email and phone call with speed and helpful advice. The property was absolutely beautiful and stocked with all the bathroom and cooking essentials. Our wedding was amazing and better than we could have ever imagined! Our families had the time to spend with one another and were able to form lasting bonds (my niece and my wife's little sister talk to each other on a weekly basis and they had never met before the wedding!) Julie was our bartender and she was so good my guests could not stop talking about how she remembered their drink and name! Frank was talking to my father all night and was so helpful with all the small details that mean so much (trust me that my Floridian guests appreciated him moving a tent heater into the barn for dancing). All in all, I cannot rave about Mountain House on Sunday River enough. They are incredible people with a very special venue. You will not be disappointed.

Sent on 01/23/2016

Paul · Married on 09/26/2015

Words cannot describe what a wonderful experience we had at Mountain House on Sunday River in late
    September 2015. It is a great bargain, considering that the entire wedding party and
    their partners can stay in the perfectly designed accommodations on site for the entire weekend.

Mountain House is an absolutely amazing place. The grounds are meticulous, the accommodations are beyond description, and the "breeze barn"
    reception area, along with the beautiful new outside event bathrooms, all add up to a perfect place to hold a wedding.

The owners, Julie and Frank, are incredibly helpful in all aspects of the event process.

Weddings are all about love between the bride & the groom, their friends and their families. The opportunity to make it a weekend long
    event will make your wedding a weekend that everyone will always remember. Everyone I have talked to that was there, said that it was by far the best wedding ever.

The most memorable weekend of my life.
    Father of the Bride

Sent on 11/07/2015

Kayla · Married on 09/26/2015

The Mountain House on Sunday River was the one and only wedding venue my then finance and I looked at. We browsed over 20+ Maine venues online and nothing was matching up to our vision or was in the right price range. We had lots of guests traveling 4+ hours away and wanted this to be a whole wedding weekend and not just an 8 hour thing. I'm a graphic designer and am very into DIY projects, so this was the perfect venue for that! We saw this venue in the middle of January with 3 feet of snow and having only seen photos of the two other weddings held there (this was a newer venue at the time), but we decided to take a chance and go for it! Julie & Frank have done an incredible job with this venue since we booked it in January 2014. Our wedding was this past weekend (9/26/15) and you would not believe the changes they have made in that time. The addition of the gorgeous, rustic bathrooms and the floor for the tent just elevate the venue even more. And to think, we loved it back when you had to bring port-a-potties and the tent was on uneven grass. It was breathtaking and we are so grateful that Julie & Frank invested in their property so much that it made it an even nicer venue than we originally imagined. Our entire wedding party and their dates stayed at the house/lodge (24 people) and every single one of them loved it and commented how nice it was to not have to pay for a hotel 2 nights in a row. We had our rehearsal dinner (lobster bake) with about 40 people there Friday night in the breeze barn. The entire weekend was just how I wanted it to be - a truly beautiful Maine themed wedding in a picture perfect location in Maine. I highly recommend this venue to anyone looking for a rustic, barn style wedding without being TOO rustic. It was still a very classy wedding. It flew by way too fast because we were all having so much fun :)

Sent on 11/12/2015

My husband and I got married at the Mountain House and I can't imagine being anywhere else! Our guests loved the venue---it had a relaxed feel, with multiple areas to have our ceremony, dinner, cocktail hour, and dancing. The grounds are gorgeously well-kept and you knew instantly the owners (Julie and Frank) loved the property and were passionate about keeping it beautiful. Julie and Frank were also present during the wedding day, ensuring that things were set-up and running smoothly. From the minute we decided on the venue, Julie provided helpful advice and recommendations for everything from table arrangements, vendors, ceremony locations, etc. to where our guests should meet-up the night before--and everything in between! Overall, it was a wonderful experience and I would do it again in a heartbeat! We would highly recommend this gorgeous venue and know all of our guests would recommend it, too!

Sent on 09/11/2015

Amazing venue, gorgeous location!!! Our guests loved the grounds and we did too!!!! What a beautiful setting for an outdoors wedding in Maine. Not to mention, our families could stay right there in the 2 houses right on the property (both well-decorated and well-kept!). Julie and Frank were great resources from the beginning-- giving us recommendations for just about everything that we needed! And, they were both there the day of the wedding ensuring that things were running smoothly. Thank you for an amazing venue and wonderful wedding!!! We highly recommend this venue!!!!!!!!!

Sent on 09/11/2015

My husband and I were married and celebrated at the Mountain House on 8/29/15. What a gorgeous venue it is!!!! All of our guests (all 260 of them!) had an absolutely wonderful time and positively commented on how beautiful the grounds were what a fun wedding it was! Julie and Frank were helpful from the beginning and you knew immediately that they loved the property and put their hearts and souls into maintaining it. Julie answered many of my messages/emails in a timely manner and had great suggestions/recs for everything from table decor, to ceremony location options, to where our guests could hang out the night before the wedding, and everything in between. She and Frank were both there during the weekend (but appropriately so) helping to set-up and to ensure everything ran smoothly. One of the nicest features about the property is that the 2 houses provided enough space for our combined immediate families to stay comfortably during the weekend--and the houses are both beautifully decorated and kept. We also loved the flexibility with the venue-including where we could have our ceremony (the pine cathedral was stunning), cocktail hour (in the barn area), dinner reception (lawn across the street), and the band and dancing (back in the barn). And, it is a 5-minute drive from the Sunday River Grand Summit Hotel so our guests could stay close-by (with transportation to the Mountain House that we provided thru the resort). In addition, we loved the property so much we had our rehearsal dinner there, too. All in all, a great experience. It is a RELAXED venue and you can make it what you want with the DIY philosophy--which if I had the choice, I would do the same all over again. We would strongly recommend the venue to future couples and know that you will enjoy it--and your guests--as much as we did!

Sent on 12/17/2015

Our wedding was amazing, the day was perfect, our guests really enjoyed their time in Newry. There is nothing that could have gone any better on the day of our wedding, from the weather to the food to the company. The best part about our wedding experience was the memories we will forever share with our friends and our family.

Sent on 09/10/2015

Trevor · Married on 10/17/2014

One of the prettiest places in the world

Sent on 11/12/2015

Tara · Married on 10/17/2014

If your looking for an outdoorsy/rustic vibe then look no further. The Mountain House was a true oasis destination and everyone who attended our pre-wedding event had nothing but compliments for this venue. The view is spectacular and the owners Julie and Frank will make you and all your guests feel right at home. I highly recommend you take a visit and see what you think, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Sent on 07/18/2016

Mary · Married on 10/11/2014

the owners were around and helpful. Grounds were well cared for and perfect for pictures. Our Bride and Groom, as well as friends and family, had a very comfortable and memorable stay.

Sent on 11/04/2014

John · Married on 10/11/2014

Julie and Frank were great to work with. If I could kive more stars for flexibility, I would have. They were great and at the very last minute allowed us to use the facility for a Sunday Brunch for the wedding guests before they left town.

Overall the setting was marvelous, great views, easily held the wedding of about 100+ guests.

Thanks again, it went very well.

Sent on 11/12/2014

Nichole · Married on 09/13/2014

Julie and Frank are very enthustiastic and passionate people. They are completely hands on and helpful with any suggestion,idea or request. They made our wedding weekend run very smoothly and more perfect than I imagined!
    I can't wait to use the Lodge for our ski trips!

Sent on 09/27/2014

Peggy · Married on 09/13/2014

I would recommend having an event at mountain house. The view is beautiful, grounds are well maintained and the houses are very cozy and clean. We had a wonderful experience staying there.

Sent on 09/28/2014
  • Lisa

Lisa · Married on 09/06/2014

We can not be more happy with our experience with the Mountain House at Sunday River!

Julie and Frank have put so much effort and hard work in to making this property shine. The mountain views are to die for! The houses on the property are filled with rustic charm. The grounds have a lovely, rustic atmosphere. Whats even better - there was room for both of our families to stay on location all weekend. There's also a terrific bridal suite perfect for getting ready on the day of with your ladies AND for spending some alone time with your new spouse after the celebrations are over.

Our ceremony was in the 'outdoor cathedral' and our guest sat on the large hemlock benches. We put up a birch arbor and bunches of wild flowers. A storm was brewing during our ceremony and the wind blowing through the trees made everything very whimsical. Just after we said our I do's it started down-pouring...making everything all the more memorable! (Thankfully Julie had thought ahead and had umbrellas at the ready for our guests!)

A really cute, New England style covered bridge is just 2 minutes down the road - perfect for pictures.

From check-in on Friday to check-out on Sunday Julie and Frank went above and beyond to ensure we had things exactly the way we wanted.

During the planning process Julie was also there every step of the way to make sure things were in order. She was always just a phone call or an e-mail away - always quick to respond. It was so nice to have a real person willing to help and answer questions - and talk me off the edge as wedding planning got stressful! She helped us pick out some absolutely amazing local vendors and gave us great suggestions for favors and decor.

Our guest have had nothing but wonderful things to say about the area, the property, and the wonderful atmosphere on our big day. We can't recommend the Mountain House enough!

Sent on 09/24/2014