Middleton Place Reviews

34 Reviews for Middleton Place

• Cassandra

Cassandra Amundson · Married on 07/24/2019

Just Grand!

All the employees @ Middleton Place are so nice & helpful. Sam, the wedding coordinator is superb. She spent a lot of her time helping to accommadate my wedding vision. This venue is both historical & aesthetically gorgeous!

Sent on 01/25/2019
  • Laura

Laura Henderson · Married on 11/30/2018

Gorgeous Venue & Superstar Staff

Middleton Place is wonderful!! Besides being a super gorgeous and amazing venue, all of the staff are complete gems and absolutely amazing. They go above and beyond to make sure your day is a special one and they really care about making sure the day goes smoothly and that you and your guests have a good time. And Middleton Place Catering is phenomenal as well!! It was an unforgettable experience for both us & our guests!!

Sent on 02/21/2019
  • Dinah

Dinah Henderson · Married on 11/30/2018

Perfection

My daughter was married at Middleton Place in November, 2018 & it was absolute perfection. Darby was a gem, she always answered our questions & called us back promptly, she was always so cheerful and professional that it was such a pleasure to work with her. The staff during the tasting was phenomenal and the food was superb. We had the Ceremony at the Octagonal Gardens under the Oak Tree, Cocktail Hour at the Crane Pool & Reception at The Pavillion. The buffet included: She Crab Soup, Prime Rib, Pulled Pork Shoulder, Mac & Cheese, Bean Cassoulet, Wild Mushroom Risotto. Loved the Smoked Filet Mignon appetizers, it was all great. The bar and bartenders were exceptional. Best Wedding Ever !! Thank You Darby & Middleton Place. Also booked a room for the hair & make-up & we had a lovely time.

Sent on 02/23/2019

Diane · Married on 05/12/2018

Our daughter (the bride) is local to Charleston, so this was not a destination wedding for her (although it was for many of our guests). She visited several venues before deciding on Middleton Place for her fairy tale wedding. We absolutely could not have been more pleased! Many of the guests who attended the wedding said that it was the most beautiful wedding they had ever attended. We had 150 guests in attendance, the ceremony was in the Octagonal Garden overlooking the Ashley River, the cocktail hour was in the Sundial Garden and the reception was in the brand new Pavilion (ours was the first wedding there). We worked with Jessie and then Sam (both of whom were phenomenal and completely tuned in to our preferences), and the planning was easy thanks to our wedding planner Candice. The natural beauty of this venue is the draw --- it is spectacular at all times of the year. We didn't have a great rain plan, but carefully watched the forecast in the event that we would need to add tenting or relocate the ceremony and cocktail hour. Fortunately, we were able to proceed with all segments of the evening as planned and it couldn't have gone more smoothly. We were able to have our rehearsal on property the day before the wedding and our guests were given the privilege of visiting the grounds on the morning of the wedding. The food was delicious (provided by Middleton Place) and since we have several in our family with serious gluten allergies (including our daughter), the chef was most accommodating --- they just made EVERYTHING gluten-free. No one except those with allergies would ever have known. We chose a plated dinner with 3 options (beef, fish, pasta) and everything was cooked to perfection. The wait staff and bartenders were friendly and prompt - exactly what you would expect at this venue. Highly recommend this venue and the coordination team there!

Sent on 07/03/2018

Sam · Married on 10/14/2017

Could not have possibly asked for a better wedding experience! My partner, Jeremy and I both love Charleston and we both love architecture. Upon seeing a Facebook post from a friend that visited The Inn at Middleton Place, our interests were peaked and we had to drive out to see this place for ourselves. When we got to The Inn, we just walked around and completely fell in love with the grounds. The hammocks hanging from the large trees with Spanish moss over looking the Ashley River provided a most serene backdrop. We decided to take a tour of the gardens and after our tour, we stopped into the restaurant for a drink and asked the bartender, "Do you ever hold weddings at the Inn rather than in the gardens?" When she said "yes," we were incredibly excited. She directed us to an Events Coordinator named Darby Poulos. We immediately fell in love with Darby. She was so considerate and genuine that we booked a date right then and there....two years in advance. Over the following two years, Darby kept us up to date on deadlines and she hosted our tasting for the menu. We were a little hesitant about having to use the catering from Middleton Place, but once we tasted the food, we were blown away. The she crab soup, shrimp and grits, both staples to the South Carolina Low Country, were the best we had ever tasted. We also opted for incredible appetizers (smoked filet mignon on crostini with pickled onion and avocado puree, fried oyster po-boys with Cholula aioli) and the side dishes (mac and cheese with sofrito, haricot vert and pomme puree) were all divine. Darby was able to accommodate all of our requests when it came to choosing the bar options as well. Darby was also able to provide us with a list of vendors including an incredible wedding planner, Lindsay Bishop. When it came down to the day everything was nothing short of perfect!! I just wish we could do it all over again!

Sent on 10/18/2017

Lacy · Married on 06/09/2017

free happy hour? yes please! gorgeous venue

Sent on 02/15/2017

Norma · event on: 04/11/2015

We have worked with Mr. Potry and his staff for a few years now and they make our Prom better and better each year. They are so accomodating to the needs and crazy requests that our students make and we certainly appreciate it. Afterall, it is their night!

Sent on 05/06/2015

Luke & Tiffany · Married on 03/15/2015

The Middleton Place was the perfect ceremony site for us. We had a small wedding of 20 guests and each person was in awe of the gardens. There is no way to have a bad photograph at Middle Place; every view is breathtaking and we chose to do a destination wedding in Charleston based on the beauty of this plantation. We worked with Drea and she was fantastic! Every question was answered promptly and thoroughly. Planning a DIY destination wedding required far more work than we anticipated; coordinating with Drea was the easiest part of our planning process.

Random word of reason...it's pricey...but EVERY Charleston SC venue is! We looked at historic buildings, plantations, private mansions, beach rentals, etc.....For the beauty and service, Middleton Place is worth every penny. Relatively speaking, the prices are reasonable and fair. Keep in mind that if you choose a Sunday or a weekday you could save a pretty penny....and if you have a few dates that you're debating between it might be wise to ask the Middleton Place (or any other chosen venue) about pricing for each date. We got lucky and our chosen date happened to be a Sunday, just before the beginning of peak season.

We also did our rehearsal dinner at the Middleton Place Restaurant; the food is delicious! This is a beautiful place and you really can't go wrong with using it for any event venue. The Middleton Place Inn is lovely and we rented two rooms (one for bridal party to dress and one for groom and guys). Coordinating with the Inn is not as easy as coordinating with the Plantation side....but in the end, it was worth getting the rooms at the Inn and we'd certainly recommend the Middleton Place Inn and Plantation to anyone looking for a wedding venue that has classic charm and timeless beauty with the space and opportunity to customize the look and feel of your chosen site.

Sent on 04/05/2015

Rachael · Married on 03/22/2014

I had a truly wonderful experience at Middleton Place and highly recommend it for someone looking for a beautiful and charming wedding venue. Yes, there is no question that there are many beautiful wedding venue options in Charleston, and I toured all of them before selecting Middleton Place. The one thing that stood out about Middleton was their genuinely kind and helpful staff and the flexibility/endless possibilities that this venue offered compared to all of the others.

You should know that I had really high expectations, and I'm serious when I tell you they were ALL exceeded. Everything from the staff, the food and venue was top notch and all contributed to our outstanding experience.

The Special Group Services Manager, Samantha W., was so sweet, amazingly accommodating (especially with some of our unusual requests) and worked through every single detail with me and my wedding planner to ensure everything was on track, organized and set up for overall perfection the day of. The communication was very clear the entire time and Sam was always available to answer any questions and give us updates via email. She truly cares about you and your day and she will do everything in her power to make it perfect.

If you are still on the fence, just set up a tour with Samantha. I promise you will walk out of there wondering why you didn't secure this venue sooner!

Sent on 10/01/2014

David · Married on 09/22/2013

All the food from the Hor d'oeuvres at cocktail hour to then main course for dinner were excellent. The portions were plentiful in size and there was more than enough for our guests.

The bartenders were very friendly and accommodating to all the guests. I don't remember there ever being a line after the initial start of the reception.

Sent on 09/24/2013

Christine · Married on 02/01/2013

This venue is beautiful! When you book your wedding day, you get use of all the grounds. We were able to have our ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception in different sites. You will also not have to worry about have three weddings on one day (like at a nearby venue). We did not hear a single complaint about the venue as all the guests said it was beautiful.

It is a little more of and expensive venue, however, with the booking you get many added values which makes it worth the extra cost. If you want a true southern plantation wedding, this is the spot to do it.

Sent on 11/14/2014

Kristin · Married on 10/27/2012

Oh how I loved getting married at Middleton Place! We have already decided that we will return each year for our honeymoon. It is that magical! This was a destination wedding and I cannot believe that I was even MORE enchanted than I thought I would be once I arrived at the venue. It is a one of kind experience and the staff that I worked with made it all happen seamlessly. We had stormy weather and moved the ceremony inside at the pavilion (where the reception was to be held) and it was gorgeous. I don't mind one bit that we moved inside. The pictures are stunning, the grounds and pavilion are beautiful, and the Inn is AMAZING.

Sent on 11/03/2012

Anne · Married on 10/07/2012

We couldn't have picked a more beautiful location for our destination wedding! Middleton Place is one the most breathtaking landscapes, so it just seemed perfect to get married there. We had our ceremony in the Octagonal Garden, cocktail hour at the Rice Mill Pond, and ceremony in the Pavilion. It was perfect!

Sent on 10/11/2012

When my husband first took me our to Middleton Place on a date, I absolutely fell in love with the plantation, and I knew that this was where I wanted to marry the man of my life. When we started looking into booking Middleton, we were so happy with the friendliness and staff. We first met with Drew and Chris, who gave us a full tour of the gardens, giving us historical facts about the plantation, and suggestions for the wedding and reception sites. Once we booked the venue, I mostly worked with Chris Wittman throughout the process. Chris was WONDERFUL!! He was very prompt to respond to emails and phone calls, and even let me know when he would be out of town. He worked so well with all my questions and requests. He was absolutely fantastic to work with. And being the bride, with all the craziness of planning my own wedding, it was very refreshing to have someone so dependable. On the rehearsal day and actual wedding day, we worked with Drea Turpin. She was so helpful and knowledgable. She knew exactly what to do, where we should stand, where we shouldn't stand, and when to walk. I was very impressed with her professionalism and how easy she made my wedding day.
    We got married on top of the parterre of the Butterfly Lakes. My husband told me that as he was waiting for me to walk down the aisle, he was talking to our wedding officiant about how beautiful it was. He said it was a place where God's creation of beauty and man's creation of beauty met one another. The wedding officiant said that a place where God and man meet is called a "thin place". I thought that description was absolutely perfect. It is a thin place, where you feel the breathe of God and the hands of man all around you. My wedding day could not have been more perfect.
    I love all the staff at Middleton Place, and I would recommend any Charleston bride to seriously consider Middleton Place as a wedding venue. It is perfect.

Sent on 07/13/2012

Stephanie · Married on 02/26/2012

My wedding on 9/10/11 at the Inn at Middleton Place was phenomenal. James and his whole staff are extremely professional and they took care of every need. Our wedding would not have gone as smoothly without their caring staff. The set up of the Inn is stunning and every guest was amazed by the beauty of the location and the conditions of the grounds. The food was excellent and was enjoyed by every guest. I would without hesitation offer up my highest recommendation for this wedding venue

Sent on 03/06/2012

Courtney · Married on 09/03/2011

We could not have asked for a more gorgeous and absolutely perfect setting for our wedding. They were going through some staff changes but at the end of the day we were always taken care of. People are still talking about how beautiful our location was. Thanks for a phenominal setting for our wedding!

Sent on 10/10/2011

Virginia · Married on 04/30/2005

Middleton Place offers so much for the money. I had one of the most beautiful weddings my guests had ever attended.

Sent on 06/05/2008

Jessica · Married on 10/03/2008

Both my ceremony and reception were held at Middleton Place in October 2008. My husband and I fell in love with it the first time we visited. We couldn't have asked for a more perfect wedding location. There are several different ceremony options and the Pavilion is a great choice for a reception. We received so many compliments of people telling us how beautiful it was! We loved the carriage transporting guests from the ceremony site to the reception location. Megan who is a Sales Manager for Middleton weddings is excellent and guided us through every aspect of our Middleton wedding. What an amazing location for a wedding!

Sent on 07/15/2009
  • Tyler

Tyler · Married on 10/12/2018

October 2018 Elopement

My wife and I eloped at Middleton Place in October, and it was an absolutely breathtaking setting. The weather was beautiful, the grounds were well-manicured, and each one of the ceremony locations would have been a perfect spot (we decided on the Octagonal Garden). It was also nice having the inn and restaurant on the grounds, which made our stay that much more memorable. Also, our "payment" for the venue was actually a donation-in-kind to the non-profit Middleton Place Foundation, which goes to a good cause and gives us a membership for a year. All around a great experience!

Sent on 01/23/2019

Linda · Married on 04/01/2017

It's a lovely venue, the catering was superb, food excellent and Darby was very pleasant to work with.
    My only surprise was for the cost of the venue, $8000, they wouldn't replant annuals that died in an unexpected freeze 3 weeks prior in the octagonal garden where the ceremony was to be held. Had they spent $200 or so on that it would have been perfect.

Sent on 04/09/2017

Blayne · Married on 10/11/2015

Middleton Place was an absolute dream location for my wedding. While we had no control over the weather, we lucked out and had the most beautiful day and our guests were able to enjoy the gorgeous gardens and breathtaking views Middleton Place has to offer. Middleton Place is not cheap, but it's worth every penny!

Sent on 10/21/2015

Amanda · Married on 03/28/2015

I am a Charleston native and have dreamed of having my wedding at Middleton Place for years. I am fortunate to have a husband that is just as enamored with the location as I am. Even though we visited many other venues, Middleton was always, hands down, the favorite. We were drawn to Middleton for its picturesque views, beautiful gardens and sense of heritage and history. We also loved the fact that if we booked a wedding a Middleton, we would have the grounds to ourselves and our wedding guests with no other weddings scheduled on the same day. On our wedding day, there happened to be a couple eloping on the property, right where my husband and I were about to have our first look. (You’ll find her terrible review below). I hate the fact that her “highly rated elopement service” did not even sign a contract with Middleton and did not follow the proper procedure to ensure a stress free day for her. I am so grateful for Sam (Middleton Place event coordinator) and her team for removing the other wedding party so my first look was not ruined. Sam worked tirelessly to ensure I had a perfect day – I was not even aware of the mishap until after the wedding.
    I also need to take a moment to mention the FOOD! I am a gluten free client and was thrilled to have a private tasting of the food we would enjoy on our wedding day (including gourmet GF macaroni and cheese!!). The chef was fantastic to work with and made sure I was sufficiently stuffed with delicious food on my wedding day!
    One year later, my husband and I are still OVER THE MOON with our wedding a Middleton Place. Our family and friends still talk about how our wedding was the most beautiful weddings they have ever attended. We visited the restaurant for our one year anniversary dinner and were greeted with champagne for us and our family (compliments of Sam). We love this location, its history and its purpose, and will continue to support it for years to come!

Sent on 04/12/2016
  • khakib00

khaki · Married on 04/18/2009

4.2
      3.0

I couldn't have asked for a more perfect place to have my wedding! The staff were so wonderful and catered to our every need. Tracy went above and beyond "renting the space". She was so helpful throughout the entire process. The reason everything went so wonderfully is b/c of their impeccable customer service. She really treated me and my family the way a bride should feel!

If I had any criticism it would be that the food was not great, but that is a minor detail in comparison to how wonderfully we were treated!

Sent on 05/07/2009

Amanda · Married on 08/06/2011

3.8
      3.5

Middleton Place Plantation was the prettiest of alll the places that my husband and I looked at to get married. We changed our date with only seven weeks notice and they were able to fit us in which was great. Our ceremony was supposed to be outside, but it rained. We paided an arm and a leg for the ceremony to be outside as well as the cocktail hour. I understand that we could not get anything back for the venue, but I didn't think we should have to pay for the services we didn't use, such as the ceremony chair set up or the bar set up fee. The service during the meal was great and the food was very yummy.

Sent on 11/27/2011

Beth · Married on 11/07/2010

2.0
      3.0

I agree with Laura's post. In May/June of 2010 when I started getting details the package was one way but then Middleton changed their policy and had new contracts. Was not the simple/what we were looking for all in one deal. Thankfully Middleton Place hired an employee who knew what she was doing so in the end it worked out. A wedding planner was also needed because the new policies left out the help/support. Our planner really pulled it together for us. I feel management really needs to rethink their services so they can reduce the stress on their customers and make the experience more pleasant.

Sent on 07/23/2011