Memorial Union - Iowa State University Reviews

10 | Ames, IA

10 Reviews for Memorial Union - Iowa State University

Karen Blaser · Married on 07/27/2019

Mother of the Bride

Jessica & Ashley went above & beyond to make sure that Samantha & Connor had a prefect stress free day. The few hiccups at the reception were addressed or fix as soon as we made them aware. Several that attended had their reception or their child’s reception at Memorial Union & loved how well they handled Samantha & Connors day giving us all wonderful memories.

Sent on 09/10/2019
  • Stephanie

Stephanie · Married on 07/06/2019

Great Experience

We loved our experience with the Memorial Union events planning team. They made the entire process smooth and had great suggestions on ways to make things easier for us. Clare & Jessica were great to work with!! I didn't expect such professionalism from the ISU students especially that were helping with the day. And Jessica went above and beyond during every step!

Sent on 08/10/2019

Memorial Union - Iowa State University's reply:

Hi Stephanie - Thank you so much for taking the time to give us a review. I truly appreciate your kind words, and we are so happy you allowed us to be a part of your special day!
    - Jessica, Claire & MU Weddings Team

Sarah · Married on 07/21/2018

The wedding events team at the Memorial Union were outstanding and took the stress off of our wedding day! Highly recommend!

Sent on 08/13/2018

Memorial Union - Iowa State University's reply:

Hi Sarah - Thank you for your kind words about the Memorial Union & our event staff! We are so glad to hear that you had enjoyed a stress-free wedding day! We make it our mission to create a smooth & seamless experience for our wedding couples, and we are so grateful to have been a small part of your big day! xo - Memorial Union Weddings Team

The events staff was so helpful and very responsive to the many questions that come with booking a venue and the ensuing planning. Working with a student coordinator was also a very pleasant experience, Rebecca was so eager and positive! I can't say enough nice things about working with the Union. Not to mention the beautiful interior and exterior architecture provide many wonderful photo ops

Sent on 01/26/2016

Memorial Union - Iowa State University's reply:

Hi - Thank you for your kind words about the Memorial Union & our event staff! We make it our mission to create a smooth & seamless experience for our brides - our staff will go above & beyond to make your wedding vision come to life! We are so glad you enjoyed your big day! xo - Memorial Union Weddings Team
  • Nora

Nora Joey · Married on 07/27/2019

Very Professional, Lots of Great Input

This was my first wedding, and hopefully my last, so I didn't really know anything about how to plan it, but the MU staff seemed like they had seen it all and were able to help us with everything we needed help with. They asked thought provoking questions that we hadn't even thought about. We mostly coordinated with Jessica, and she was very on top of things which was very helpful because we aren't planners. The rental package I think was high value, and it included a lot of things which were nice to just have in one price that included everything. They were able to accommodate pretty much everything we wanted.
    We had our wedding in the Great Hall, which is the best room in my opinion because it is so naturally beautiful and has those wonderful high ceilings and chandeliers. The only decor we brought in were votive candles and I don't think it could have looked more elegant. If you have your wedding specifically in the Great Hall, then I 100% recommend candles as it is dimly lit (in a good way) and the candles add to the mood lighting.
    The fact that ISU Catering always does the catering at the MU was a blessing because I didn't feel like I had to worry about the coordination between them and I just knew both the MU and Catering staff were experienced together and things would go smoothly -- and they did! It seems like most weddings always have something that goes wrong, but not ours. The only tiny complaint I have is that I don't think anyone told us there was extensive construction going on to the roads on campus and around the MU, which caused some problems for people getting to the reception, but everyone ended up getting there in the end. If I got married again, I would have it at the Memorial Union again.

Sent on 08/14/2019

Mother · Married on 05/19/2018

I recommend this location and catering. The staff were very helpful explaining services and setting up the schedule for the day. They assisted in planning for the back-up option for the outdoor ceremony. The event planners were easy to communicate with when we had planning questions and available most of the day to address issues if they occurred.

Sent on 06/11/2018

Memorial Union - Iowa State University's reply:

Hi - Thank you for your kind words about the Memorial Union & the event staff! We are so grateful that you trusted us to plan & host your daughter's wedding. xo - Jessica from the Memorial Union Weddings Team

Katie · Married on 08/15/2015

3.5

My husband and I met at Iowa State University, and decided to celebrate our marriage at the memorial union. We had our ceremony in the Campanille Room and reception in the Great Hall. We booked about a year before our event, and enjoyed our experience.

I did the majority of the planning remotely. I live in Boston, Ma and was only in Iowa a few times before the wedding. Iowa State did host a wedding expo, which helped us find some of our other vendors (e.g. flowers and tux rentals). It was also nice to be able to taste the food and wine before the big day.

The people we worked with were all awesome, especially our caterer, Jill.

One thing that was unexpected with this venue was a five hour bar maximum. However, Jill was flexible on what was served at the bar, which was awesome.

Sent on 10/08/2015

Memorial Union - Iowa State University's reply:

Hi Katie - Thank you for your kind words about the Memorial Union & our event staff! We are passionate about weddings, and it is our mission to make each wedding as seamless & stress-free as possible! I am so glad you had a positive experience working with us! xo - Memorial Union Weddings Team
  • Z

Zach Zeiss · Married on 06/22/2019

4.2

The Zach and Jess wedding

The venue was great. We had a wonderful wedding. The people were a great help and the staff was awesome!

Sent on 07/10/2019

Hi Zach -

Thank you for your kind words about the Memorial Union & our staff. We had a blast working with you & Jess, and we are so thrilled to hear you enjoyed your day. Congrats, again!

- Jessica & Memorial Union Weddings Team

Jess · Married on 06/30/2018

4.2
      3.0

Iowa State Wedding

Jessica and her staff were amazing during our whole process of wedding planning! During our wedding planning process, Jessica always listened to what we wanted and tried to make our request happen. She was always willing to provide her input without being overbearing. After a long planning period, our wedding day was more than what we could have imagined! I really appreciate Jessica and her wedding planning staff in helping us create the most amazing day.

Sent on 07/16/2019

Memorial Union - Iowa State University's reply:

Jess - I cannot thank you enough for your kind words. I had a blast working with you & Zach, and I am so happy we were able to exceed expectations on your special day. Thank you for trusting our team and letting us be apart of your wedding!
    xoxo - Jessica & Memorial Union Weddings Team