Mary Dougherty Photography Reviews

1 User photo

• Caitlin
    Caitlin E. Married on 02/09/2021

Excellent! Beautiful Photography!

Mary was delight to work with as a vendor! Her photography is absolutely gorgeous and she makes the process easy. She was very responsive and so friendly. I highly recommend booking Mary for a wedding or elopement ceremony.
  • Michelle
    Michelle R. Married on 01/12/2021

Engagement Photos

Mary was amazing to work with. Not only did she capture incredible pictures from the best day of my life, she also helped my Fiancé in the planning process to make sure It was a dream come true proposal. She was professional and so personable. We Loved working with her and we will treasure these photos forever. Highly Recommend!!!!
  • Savannah
    Savannah D. Married on 08/08/2020

We Love Our Photos

Working with Mary for our wedding was an easy decision. We love Mary's natural and artistic style and wanted photos that would be timeless. We're both pretty awkward in front of the camera and Mary was so great at helping us feel comfortable and we had so much fun working with her. Mary was also so helpful as we navigated a wedding during Covid. With every hard decision and every change of plans, Mary was so supportive and understanding. Even though our wedding was so different than we originally planned, it was still the best day and Mary captured every moment so beautifully. Months later, we still can't stop looking at our photos.
    Jaclyn Married on 10/05/2019

Not sure what I love more, Mary or my photos!

Mary was such a pleasure to work with! She was very easy going. We worked together to create the perfect engagement session which was nice to get to know her and see how great she is at her job. She is incredible at working with the outdoors and natural light. She knows exactly where and how we should stand at all times in any location. When it came time for our wedding, I felt confident in Mary that she'd find perfect spots on property to take photos and she'd capture our magical wedding day. We absolutely love our wedding photos, they're gorgeous! Light, airy, magical and perfect! We would love to work with Mary again!!
    Kate Married on 05/17/2019

Captured everything we love!

Mary was truly amazing! From the moment we spoke on the phone, I knew she was the perfect photographer for our wedding. Her attention to detail, professionalism and expertise was above and beyond impressive. She truly captured our love for the Adirondacks and our vision for a small intimate wedding! We cannot thank her enough!
    Ali R. Married on 03/08/2019

Best wedding photographer ever

Mary was an absolute pleasure to work with. From Day 1, she was proactive and accommodating / flexible. She worked with us closely to ensure our vision for the big day come true. Her work is absolutely stunning and while she's shooting, she's great at making you feel comfortable (especially if being on camera isn't your favorite thing!). We loved the look and feel of her photos - the mix of B&W and color, digital and film, the natural expressions and movement. Mary will go above and beyond for your big day, and you will NOT be disappointed. We cannot wait to work with Mary again for other shoots in the future and highly recommend her for any bride and groom to be!
    Colleen H. Married on 09/02/2017

Love love love!

We had the best experience working with Mary and would whole-heartedly recommend her to anyone! As great of a person as she is a photographer. Her laid-back but confident style worked perfectly for us, and we couldn't have been happier with the photos she captured.
    Noelle Married on 08/19/2017
    Everything everyone says about Mary is true! She did my brothers wedding about 8 years ago and the photos were so beautiful I hired her for my wedding this year! It was an easy decision after staring at their photos hanging in their house! She is so sweet and caught so many beautiful honest moments that are also so artistic! I can't wait to get my prints! I get stuck looking at the photos online forever because they are so lovely. Thank you for sharing your gift with us Mary!
    Megan Married on 10/15/2016

Wedding Out West

Mary is a devoted, ever-growing, traveling, passionate creative who provides a structured, yet laid-back style and produces one-of-a-kind images and keepsake products. Mary will help you design your event schedule, making sure you understand all of your options. She will capture all of the details that you worked so hard to plan, but may not have soaked in enough on your wedding day, as well as capturing fantastic portraits and candid photos throughout the day. Using a combination of film and digital imagery, Mary's photos utilize natural light and contrasts. We could not have been happier with Mary's commitment to us and our wedding day.
    Heather Married on 10/01/2016

The Absolute BEST!

We first hired Mary to shoot our engagement photos and October 2016 wedding. She has since shot maternity photos and several rounds of family photos for us. There's a simple reason we keep coming back to Mary over and over again--she's the BEST. When you invest in Mary, what you get is a STORYTELLER. Someone who takes the time to know you, get invested in you and your story, and help you tell it--documenting and capturing your most important memories in a way you will want to share and look back on. Mary has a way of making even the most photo-shy people feel natural and comfortable in front of the camera--and it shows every time. Her photos capture moments that feel authentic, organic, and natural. Mary's artistry, eye for detail, and commitment to her clients sets her apart. She will help you plan and brainstorm and even decide what outfits to wear. She will calm you down if the week before your wedding the forecast says nothing but rain. Hire her. Seriously. Do it. If you're very lucky, in addition to amazing photos that you will cherish, you might just end up with what we got--a photographer and friend for life.
  • Sara
    Sara Married on 08/27/2016

Wedding Photos

We were so fortunate to have found Mary as our wedding photographer. She has an incredible eye and was patient with us throughout the planning process. Her expertise was invaluable and she helped make our day a memory we will cherish forever. We couldn’t be happier with our photos and extend our highest recommendation.
    Hayley Married on 10/24/2015
    I honestly cannot express how amazing Mary is! I planned my Rochester, NY wedding (my hometown) from my current home in London and it was pretty stressful finding vendors who I loved without being able to go and see people face to face. Mary was the BEST investment we made in our wedding. Not only did she put up with LOTs of emails from me (she was basically my pen pal), but she took the best wedding photos I've ever seen (I might be biased...).

Mary's style is natural, modern, romantic and everything I wanted in my photos. It rained a lot on my wedding day and you would have NO idea looking at the pictures. She made everyone feel comfortable and was a calm presence in the craziness of a wedding.

We also had the coolest engagement shoot ever with Mary, who took my craft beer idea and ran with it. My husband was very anti-Engagement shoots as a British guy who thinks they're a weird American thing and he LOVED it in the end. All because spending time with Mary is the best!

Like most brides, I ended my wedding wanting Mary to be my friend forever. I'm babbling, but seriously, make Mary your photographer.
    Hanna Married on 08/29/2015
    My husband and I cannot say enough good things about Mary and her gorgeous photos. She was one of the very first people we hired in the wedding planning process -- we were nervous and overwhelmed, not to mention both my husband and I have a hang-up about pictures (we don't always look our best) so we were especially anxious about finding a good photographer. From start to finish, Mary was a total professional and an absolutely lovely person to work with and get to know. She scheduled an engagement photo session for us early on and made us feel happy and comfortable right away. Her pictures are creative and beautiful - somehow, they manage not to be cliche, no small feat for wedding photos. We got to know her throughout our wedding planning process and ended up going to her for advice beyond photography - that's how much we trusted her judgement and liked her. We also ended up hiring her to do our rehearsal dinner - after we saw what she did with the engagement photos, we knew we had to have her there throughout our wedding weekend. I can't recommend her highly enough - she was our favorite vendor and a dream to work with. Hire Mary Now!
  • User2271921 2+ years ago
    My husband and I loved working with Mary! Neither of us are particularly comfortable in front of the camera, and we really wanted pictures that were authentic to us, so naturally I assumed the pictures would be painfully awkward. Mary's primary concern was getting to know us and our story to ensure we got exactly what we wanted. We chose to go with an engagement shoot that helped us to get to know Mary and her style. Not only did it help us to feel more comfortable, but she captured some beautiful moments. In the months leading up to the wedding, we had a loose plan of what the day would look that we began to firm up as the date grew closer. Although my husband insisted that he did not want to do a first look, he changed his mind days before the wedding. Mary was flexible and worked with me and our venue to make it happen. Our first look was incredible, and Mary's pictures captured those moments perfectly. Throughout the ceremony, reception, and dancing, it was almost like Mary was not even there but managed to capture the special, organic moments that my husband and I really wanted. Because Mary really got to know us and our story, she captured us and our wedding day in the ways that would be most meaningful to us.
    Allison Married on 07/03/2015
    I can't say enough amazing things about Mary Dougherty Photography! Not only is Mary adorable and a pleasure to work with, her photographs are gorgeous. This probably sounds silly but you will want her to be your best friend after meeting her. (she's that cool) Overall I had three sessions with Mary - engagement, wedding day, and a special bridal session (a few days before the main event I got to put on my dress and have pictures taken) I would HIGHLY recommend her bridal session to anyone! It was such a unique opportunity to try on my dress, feel beautiful and enjoy a calm moment before the actual wedding day. I have now received all of my photographs from Mary and I couldn't be any happier. She captured the day perfectly and I find myself flipping through the pictures at random times re-living the special moments. She has such a creative eye and the way she perceives the world and captures the light is breathtakingly beautiful. I feel like all of my pictures could come straight out of a bridal magazine! Overall Mary is pretty awesome so any newly engaged couples out there should ABSOLUTELY use her :)
    Ashley Married on 06/27/2015
    We look back on our wedding day often and it's easy to say that Mary was by far the MVP. Since the day we met her for our engagement shoot, we've always felt comfortable & at ease with Mary. She has a natural ability at making everyone around her feel better about themselves, as if she's been a lifelong friend of yours. After months of planning, the wedding day finally came and it felt like we were reconnecting with an old friend when Mary walked in. Not only is her professionalism exceptional, but she possesses all of the intangibles that you'd want from a photographer: from her selflessness, to her compassionate nature, to her talent/experience. Let's be honest, we weren't sure of exactly what we were looking for when we were searching for a photographer, but we are beyond grateful to have come across Mary's work! We didn't realize how good we had it until we experienced it first hand with her.
    The entire evening went by - the ceremony, reception, and dancing - and she blended in so well that you'd think she was just a friend who happened to have a camera or two. She was so focused on her job - she was able to capture those images that, at the moment, were just passing us by.
    On top of all of this, the weather that came rolling in on our wedding day wasn't, let's say, what every bride dreams of. I mean, it was steady rain from start to finish. But because it didn't even phase Mary, it didn't phase us! She was such a trooper (along with her amazing second shooter, Kat) - the fact that we were all able to roll with the punches made it all the more memorable. We would do it all over again, with the same images captured, if we could.
    As years (and decades) go on, I'm sure we'll continue to look back on our wedding day, thanks to the beautiful moments that Mary was able to document for us. And when we do look back, I'm sure we'll be thinking of how blessed we were to have Mary there with us. We owe you a lifetime Mary!!! Thank you again and again!
    Kasia Married on 06/06/2015
    Hands down, Mary was the best choice I could have made for my wedding photographer. We did engagement photos with her and absolutely loved it, from that point forward I knew I didn't have to worry about the wedding photos. She helped us get a timeline together for the wedding day and we ended up with hundreds of beautiful photos. She was very professional, made sure we got all the pictures we planned for, and during the reception she caught so many candid moments that I would have missed otherwise. We are 2 months after the wedding and the only hard thing about all the photos right now is figuring out which ones to print as we love them all!!
    Danielle Married on 05/31/2015
    Mary won us over from the beginning, by making us feel natural and beautiful in front of the camera during our initial engagement shoot. It was no surprise that our wedding photos were equally stunning, and we will treasure our wedding album that she created for the rest of our lives. Mary's value and quality of service is unmatched - we would choose her again and again!
    Eliza Married on 03/21/2015
    My husband and I became familiar with Mary's work after she photographed a friend's wedding. We were completely captivated by her use of light, simplicity, her eye for scenery, and the fact that her photos captured the emotion of their day so beautifully and tactfully. When we got engaged, she was the first vendor we called. We live in New Orleans and Mary was excited and eager to work with us from afar to plan our perfect day.

Upon arrival to New Orleans, Mary visited the locations we wanted to include in our photos. She was able to create a plan for the shoot the day of the wedding to minimize the chaos that undoubtedly ensues when you are in a city and trying to corral a large bridal party for photos in the French Quarter. This was so helpful in streamlining our photos. Mary was incredibly professional and also flexible as our plans changed due to unforeseen transportation issues.

Our photos are stunning. We couldn't be more thrilled with the finished product. Not only did she capture our excitement and the intimacy of our day, the photos document so many aspects of our wedding that we hope to cherish forever. We were also floored by the turn-around time for our edited proofs. Shortly after we returned from our honeymoon, our pictures were ready for us!

I opted to buy an album, and many family members purchased canvases or framed prints. We are all extremely happy with the quality of the products. Mary also created Thank You notes for us which have receive so many compliments from our guests.

Overall, I couldn't be happier with our choice of photographer. We received amazing photos and top-notch service. I most certainly recommend her to other couples.
    Molly Married on 09/20/2014
    We are so lucky to have found Mary Dougherty Photography to document and capture not only our wedding day, but our rehearsal dinner and engagement session! She was referred to us by a friend and she exceeded all of our expectations. Her talent and creativity is unparalleled and we knew we were in perfect hands from day one! She is so selfless, generous with her time and we are blessed to have her as our photographer, but even more so as our friend. She spent countless hours on the phone, walking me through every detail, drove out of her way to meet us for our engagement session, and spent 18+ hours with us the weekend of our wedding. We could not imagine a more perfect person to be by our side. Although Chris and I were not exactly naturals in front of the camera when we first met, she put us immediately at ease and we felt like we were with an old friend. She made it fun, exciting, and so easy. She gave us great direction and made us feel so comfortable and natural. Mary's vision matched ours flawlessly and she captured absolutely every detail of our engagement session and wedding weekend, leaving us with an amazing and beautiful story to tell, again and again. We will cherish each photo, our beautiful album and all of the photos that we have purchased forever and we are so blessed to have them all to help us relive our day. We cannot thank you enough!
    Lindsay Married on 09/13/2014
    I was very familiar with Mary's work and she was the first vendor we booked. After receiving our engagement photos, my faith in her eye, talent and professionalism were confirmed. Our wedding included a large bridal party and a day's worth of "good luck" rain. My biggest fear was that the weather would prevent me from getting the photos I had been dreaming about. Mary, adorable baby bump and all, went above and beyond to make sure that those dreams came true. From modifying the shot schedule to waking up for a sun-kissed shoot the next day, she gave us everything we wanted and more. And, after seeing all the photos from our special day, the rainy ones are my favorite!
    Karen Married on 09/06/2014
    Having beautiful photographs from our wedding day was our top priority when we were planning our rustic barn wedding. We decided upon Mary Dougherty Photography after seeing her portfolio. She has a way of capturing the natural moments between people and the landscape that we loved (we really don't like the staged photos from almost every other wedding photographer). She was willing to meet us in Saratoga at my family's farm on her way back from a work trip to Vermont for our engagement photos. Even in the January weather, she trekked through the snow and ice around the farm to capture some gorgeous photos. For our wedding, she and her partner were able to capture the special moments of getting ready and our first look without being intrusive or directive and she just let each moment unfold naturally. I loved her use of the natural light in our photographs and how it seems you are there when looking through all the photos. We also ordered a photobook of our wedding that she laid out and had printed. It is a very high quality photobook that I would never have been able to recreate on my own. I treasure this new family heirloom and we break it our anytime friends or family come to our home. Overall, choosing Mary as our photographer was one of the best wedding planning decisions we made.
  • W
    Whitney Married on 08/15/2014
    John and I chose a different route in our 'Big Day', we eloped, running into the woods with our pastor and tying the knot in a mystical fairy tale scene. Mary was not only up for the challenge of a different photo shoot, but super excited and down for whatever we asked. No one could have captured our magical day like Mary. We could not have been more excited to have Mary photographing our day, we looked at all sorts of photographers, but nobody has the right look we wanted. There is something about the way Mary takes her photos, they are just stunning, months later people still gasp and tell us how incredible our Wedding Pictures are. Her unique style in portraying people, their personalities and style coupled with the dream-like and angelic light she carefully captures in every shot just makes all of her photos breathtaking. Mary showed up early to my house (and stayed late when we ran behind schedule) to get photos of my mom getting me ready, and we were racing around frantic from being late, Mary actually made the whole situation better, she was so fun to chit-chat with and had a calming affect that made us take a breathe and not worry about a thing. I always wondered if it would be awkward trying to take romantic wedding pictures, kissing in front of the camera and such, but Mary was so fun to be around and at the same time she had a quiet nature that made us feel calm and like it was just my new groom and I in a distant fairy tale story in the woods . She really cares about you and your story. Everyone who looks at her work immediately sees she has incredible talent at what she does, and now thanks to her I have the most beautiful pictures to show our family, friends, children and grandchildren. Every girl dreams about having incredible wedding pictures from their incredible day, Mary made that dream come true for me, thank you so much Mary!
    Blaine B. Married on 07/26/2014
    My husband and I were overjoyed when we were able to to work with Mary for our wedding! In our photographer search, I believe I reviewed the websites and galleries of about 27 different photographers, but no other images spoke to me like Mary's. We knew immediately that no one else would capture our love story in the romantic-artistic-vintage style that her eye and talent offers.

Mary was also a joy to work with, and we most appreciated her flexibility and genuine desire to capture us and our family. She was happy to accommodate us in the timing of our engagement pictures, and allowed us to utilize multiple locations during both our engagement and wedding photos. She was even able to get our 1 year old yellow Labrador puppy to cooperate during the shoot, producing gorgeous photos of the 3 of us!

I am a type-A, micro-manager, and when it came to the wedding, I worked for a year to make sure every detail would be perfect on our special day. While in theory I should have been nervous about every detail being captured, I was anything but concerned on our wedding day. Mary and her assistant were professional, timely, and truly seemed to be honored to share in our wedding. I did not once worry that
    a detail would be missed in the photographs...and Mary did not disappoint!! Our wedding was a whirlwind, as is anybody's, but we were able to relive every moment (those remembered and not remembered) through the story Mary provided us in our gallery.

My husband and I would undoubtedly recommend Mary's talent for anybody's photography needs. She will not only be your photographer, but will become a friend. Mary Dougherty and her undeniable talent was one of our smartest wedding investments.
    Hannah Married on 07/03/2014
    I enjoyed working with Mary because of how quickly she is able to put you at ease in front of the camera. Mary worked with us for an engagement shoot and then for the wedding day and was very communicative about how we should engage with the camera as well as every detail for the wedding day. Being in front of a camera for a photo shoot can be nerve wracking, but Mary has the unique talent of tricking you into becoming a model for the shoot.
    I was originally apprehensive about sticking to the wedding day timeline for family portraits and bridal party portraits, but Mary was flexible and professional in her management of the portrait sessions. Her experience was obvious when she problem-solved time delays and worked with us to re-arrange portrait sessions to stay on schedule when we hadn't planned quite enough time. Additionally, we were very happy with the spontaneous couple portraits that Mary suggested in order to capture certain light during the outdoor reception.
    Investing in Mary means that we have the highest quality photographs from our wedding and will be able to remember every detail and moment by looking through her beautiful photographs. Her background in the arts shows in her body of work. I would absolutely recommend Mary to anyone looking for both professional, artful photographs and a photographer with excellent interpersonal skills.