MarketPlace Catering Reviews

17 | Inwood, IA

17 Reviews for MarketPlace Catering

17 MarketPlace Catering Reviews

Brian · Married on 06/02/2017

We used MarketPlace Catering for our daughter and son-in-law's wedding and from start to finish it was a wonderful experience. They provided the linens, plates, glass drink ware, silverware (rolled in cloth napkins), everything needed for the meal setting. The food was amazing. Our guests are still commenting to us about how good the food was. We had pulled pork, chicken, Parmesan baby red potatoes for the main dishes. One of the guests told us he travels throughout the U.S for his work and attends many banquets and this was the best catered meal he has ever had! Our daughter texted me from her honeymoon wondering if there were any potatoes left from the meal because they were so good! The staff was very helpful and very attentive, even assisting guests who needed help carrying their plates (we did buffet style). They cleared the plates from the tables and packaged the extra food up for us to take home (they provide a generous portion of food). We highly recommend MarketPlace Catering for any occasion!

Melissa · Married on 05/20/2017

I cannot say enough good things about MarketPlace Catering! First, our venue required us to have real plates, silverware, and drinkware. Marketplace added them to our day at no extra cost. They also provide linens which my venue provided for us so they offered appetizers in place of that. They provided free napkins as well. We ordered the brisket, dirty drunken chicken, pepper jack mac and cheese, and garlic mashed potatoes. We got compliments from everyone!!! Especially on the mac and cheese. At the end of dinner, they cleaned up everyone's plates and silverware - we didn't have to get them washed ourselves. They also boxed up any leftovers we had (which wasn't much because lots of people went for seconds - it was that good!) so we could take them home and have something while we opened our gifts. They were professional, on time, and the food was delicious. I would highly recommend them as your wedding caterer.

Caroline · Married on 04/08/2017

Not only does Marketplace provide delicious food but they deliver with amazing customer service and professionalism. Mendi and her team are a dream to work with. They made the whole process so easy and they are so accomodating!

We hired Marketplace Catering for my daughters wedding. The food was fantastic, our guest couldn't say enough about it

Kevin · Married on 05/18/2013

Marketplace did a fantastic job with the food. We were able to come out for a free tasting and everything was delicious! The 2 people they sent down to take care of our food were incredible and very professional, making sure everything tasted ok and keeping everyone happy! Great job Marketplace! EAT THIS FOOD!

Ashley · Married on 05/05/2012

Marketplace was great!! They helped with all the details and they worked great with the venue that we chose!! Everyone said that the food was excellent!!!

• Amber

Amber · Married on 04/30/2011

Their food is AMAZING!!!! We got a taste testing of the different kinds of food that we chose and we would let them know which type of food we liked better and decide which food we wanted to have for our wedding reception. Our guests came up to us and told my husband and I that they loved the food. I would recommend them for sure! They have reasonable prices and they work with you.

They were great to work with. The food was great. We picked our reception venue just to have Marketplace catering.

We booked MarketPlace Catering for there services for our wedding day. We could not have been more thrilled with the professionalism, flexibility & helpfulness from the caterer. The food was absolutely delicious and was talked about by all of our guests. The price was fair and deserving by the quality and quantity of the food. The caterers also lit all of our candles on our tables which came to be about 150 which was not part of there job but they did it anyway to be helpful and kind. My husband and I just want to thank you again for your services and we will definitely be recommending your business to all of our family and friends.

Marketplace Catering did a great job providing the BBQ styled meal at our wedding! I would recommend them to future Brides to be!

Katy · Married on 05/26/2012

The price for our meals was definitely reasonable. Food was hot and yummy. They let 4 of us come ahead of time for a free tasting of full-sized portions. They included a lot of free add-ons which we weren't initially expecting, so that was a bonus. Definitely worked with us and were okay when we called them multiple times a day to go over details and questions. The only negative I have is that they left the reception sort of early and wanted to take all the water goblets away, when guests were still using them...but we just kept them and returned them a few days later, so it ended up working out.

Kristin · Married on 09/02/2017

We just used Marketplace Catering for our wedding and it was amazing! We had brisket and the dirty drunken chicken for meats. The brisket was awesome! The chicken was a little bit dry but it still had good flavor. For sides we had the baby reds which were delicious, the Caribbean blend veggies which were good and the pepperjack mac and cheese which was an absolute HIT. We got to take the extra food home after but there was no mac and cheese left it was that good. The only issue we had was the caterers got stuck in traffic and were a little bit late but nothing too bad. They provided plates and silverware rolled in napkins as well as cleared the tables and it was so reasonable per plate! Would definitely recommend. Thank you!!

Marketplace was delicious! No complaints. Our order was correct and staff was friendly and professional!

• Kirsten

Kirsten · Married on 06/09/2012

MarketPlace was well priced and the food was delicious. There were some slight mix-ups that I'm sure the guests had no idea about, though I did notice. For example, the potato and salad selection on the buffet were slightly different than discussed, the appetizer hot holding dish was never lit so the food was a little cold, and my family had to place napkins at each setting. The group worked really well under pressure, as the ceremony service went much faster than planned and he guests started arriving 45 minutes early. Overall the food was very tasty, the service was great, and the price was spot-on. I would recommend and use again.

• Lucille

Leah · Married on 06/03/2017

3.8
      3.0
      2.0

Working with Marketplace Catering was a double-edged sword.

The good:

The food was out of this world incredible. We used them for our wedding dinner and have gotten many many compliments- one guest even commented that it was the best food she had ever had at a wedding.

Our venue supplied the linens, china, silverware, glasses, and staff to clear tables. Marketplace Catering lowered their price per guest because they did not have to supply these items. They also boxed the leftover food up after the dinner and put it in the venue fridge for us to take home.

The bad:

We chose their "lunch lady" service style, which means they have four staff working our buffet line so guests don't have to dish their own food.

Marketplace Catering failed to send their serving staff for our wedding dinner. According to Laurie, who only replied to my questions after a week and two separate emails, there was an emergency and they had to rearrange staff. We had not been notified of this change prior to our event.

In lieu of serving staff, they sent extra food.

We specifically chose that style of service because we have a number of disabled guests that require walkers and canes to get around. This change in service made it much more difficult for them to move through the buffet line. The lack of communication on their end meant that we had to scramble to ensure these guests would be taken care of.

Additionally, my parents were very concerned throughout the meal that there would not be enough food for all of our guests because there had been NO communication that extra food would be sent in lieu of the serving staff.

This was the only hiccup during the entire event and it could have easily been avoided with an email or a phone call.

Overall- The food is excellent and you cannot beat the price point. I would use Marketplace Catering in the future. Hopefully management can improve their communication for for future events.

1.4
      1.0
      1.5
      1.0
      2.5
      1.5

I had been planning my wedding for a year and a half, I had already knew I wanted marketplace when I tasted the food at another family member's wedding. Since I knew what I was getting I did not think that I would have to call and check up every other week like I had to with other vendors. I was very, very disappointed in the service and to think before my wedding I had ref 3 other brides to this vendor prior to my wedding. Here are the things that went wrong for my wedding, first off Laurie did not clearly read her emails that were sent because I got the wrong food that I had picked, we also rented skirting and table linens that were not there the day of the wedding so she had to bring them and then asked for more money when everything was paid up front. I also rented cake plates and were never brought so my guest didn't even get cake. The servers were suppose to serve th parent's tables and head table, the head table was served but the bride and groom were served LAST! The parent's table never got served. One of their employees walked up to my host and hostess and stated we are under staffed and not prepared so they will need to go through the line just like everyone else. The salads that we got were very very small and very different from what I had at other weddings they had catered. When I spoke with laurie about everything I did get an apology however I was offered only a 50 gift card from their company, this is minimal for all the hassel and cost that was put into not getting the services that was agreed on or paid for. The serves were nothing more than high school students that didn't care much for the job they were doing. When speaking with the owner about this, she indicated that some people are hard to find and they had another wedding the same night and all of the more experienced staff was at that wedding since we had minimal uniqueness to our food and they had more guest. Think twice before booking with them! To think I paid 600 dollars for my cake

Kristin · Married on 09/15/2018

0.4
      0.5

Our daughters wedding was catered by this company Sept 2018. It will be easier to list what went right because everything went wrong. The only good thing is that the cupcakes arrived on time. The food was late, it was not set up and warmed on time. The bride and groom had cold food. There was not enough food. There were not enough plates. The chicken was wrong and the potatoes were wrong. Over half the desserts did not show up until the end of the evening. They were then left at a table by the bar in the original cooking pans. The appetizers.....they didn't show up....and when Laurie the owner was contacted we were told that appetizers come after the meal. What a joke. Water glasses on the table, but no water. No bussing staff. ALL OF WHICH WE PAID FOR IN ADVANCE. The contracted staff made multiple attempts to contact Laurie however she would not answer her phone. Laurie, the owner, guaranteed us that she would be at our wedding to ensure everything went as planned. She was not there. She wouldn't answer my calls either. A friend of mine went to another wedding after ours. It was also catered by this company. They had a very similar shit show. I would not recommend this company, in fact I would suggest you run now. We paid good money yet we had guests eating off of Styrofoam plates and only got half a meal. RUN NOW AND DON'T LOOK BACK.

Sent on 09/28/2018

MarketPlace Catering's reply:

Yes. This event was not handled properly. We were very disappointed as well. EVERY penny was refunded AND they ate the food.