Magnolia Bakery Reviews

34 | New York, NY

34 Reviews for Magnolia Bakery

Sharon Mitchell · Married on 02/20/2019

My experience

Accommodating to my needs, executed our wedding cake well.

Sent on 03/06/2019

Taylor · Married on 06/09/2018

All of our guests are still talking about how terrific our cake was! Magnolia Bakery was our first - and only! - stop for cake tastings about 8 months before our wedding. Everything from the presentation at our tasting to the attention to detail for creating each tier of our cake was amazing. Everything showed up on time and perfectly, and working with Shenequa + her team was a breeze! Definitely the best cakes in NYC!

Sent on 06/14/2018

Laura · Married on 11/05/2016

Brooklyn the caterer at Magnolia's went above and beyond to ensure my wedding went smoothly! She kept in great contact with me when I wasn't available, and kept my order perfect to how I wanted it! Plus, she and her team stayed late for me at their catering location so so could get the cake myself all the way from Monmouth county, New Jersey! Thank you for the most delicious, perfect, decadent cake ever!!!!

Sent on 11/06/2016

Rebekka · Married on 08/13/2016

Crystal Gardens at Navy Pier in Chicago, IL has a longstanding relationship with Magnolia's Chicago location, so if you use Magnolia for your Crystal Gardens event you get a great deal. To top it off, Magnolia (regardless of location) is absolutely delicious. I have had their stuff both in NYC and Chicago, and it's heavenly every time. For our wedding, the wonderful Stephanie was our contact person at Magnolia. She prepared a beautiful tasting with us, looked over designs, spent a lot of time emailing ideas and quotes back and forth until we figured out exactly what we wanted: a two-tiered sparkle cake with a gazillion mini sparkle cupcakes. AMAZING!!! SO beautiful, so delicious (their Hummingbird flavor is the best!!!), and so easy to work with! Thanks Stephanie at Magnolia!

Sent on 09/16/2016

J · Married on 06/25/2016

I lived near the original Magnolia in the West Village for 20 years so I always dreamed of having them do my wedding cake. But I was getting married an hour outside NYC, and my venue provided a free cake, so I thought fine, I'll use the free place. I went to a tasting and it was gross--"buttercream" frosting that was actually Crisco. (I know shortening holds up well at room temp, but I hate the taste.) I tried another bakery in NJ, figuring Magnolia was too far away . Also gross. So I finally did what I should have done in the first place--I called Magnolia. It turns out they deliver in a refrigerated truck to my venue all the time (for a fee.) And after talking to other bakeries who were chaotic and seemed like they'd never handled a wedding before, our contact, Brooklyn, at Magnolia was SO organized. She had it down to a science. She set up a lovely tasting for us at the Upper West Side location, with a lace tablecloth. We got to chose flavors for three mini cakes (and bring the leftovers home with us). We were trying to decide between getting a big tiered wedding cake, and doing a bunch of little cakes as a buffet. Brooklyn gave us tons of options and suggestions on what cakes/sizes would work for a buffet and even with the $100/hour delivery fee and a small fee for cute polka dot decorations on two cakes, we came in on budget! We got a chocolate cake, a vanilla cake, a banana cake, a carrot cake, and banana pudding shots, plus we rented cake stands to display it all. It was not only gorgeous but SO DELICIOUS. Our guests died over how good it all was. If you are getting married within an hour or so of NYC, Magnolia is the only way to go! Totally worth it! Ask for Brooklyn, she will make it all go smoothly.

Sent on 06/29/2016

Gaynor · Married on 05/19/2016

We absolutely loved our wedding cake, it was exactly what we wanted & tasted amazing. Service was great & very helpful when discussing ideas.

Sent on 06/27/2016

Beautiful, delicious, reasonably priced wedding cake! The guests loved it. Victoria was so easy to work with throughout planning.

Sent on 01/26/2016

Magnolia Bakery provided the perfect three tier wedding cake for our celebration dinner. Everyone was super helpful, particularly Ben, who arranged our last minute cake stand hire and confirmed all the day-of plans! There were no issues with delivery at all - perfect and professional! The cake itself was absolutely delicious, particularly the red velvet tier! I have to mention that our cake tasting was one of the best experiences during our wedding planning - we met with Kerry, and were given four sample cakes to try, plenty of iced tea and the little "Mr & Mrs" embossed forks just added a lovely touch! Kerry answered all our questions, gave us plenty of inspiration and ideas, and sent us away after the tasting with the remainder of our cakes and a few other sweet treats -- if there was no question we wanted a Magnolia Bakery before the tasting, it was a done deal after!

Sent on 11/10/2015

Jacki · Married on 09/12/2015

Magnolia was the perfect choice for our wedding cake! The tasting was fun, memorable, and they sent us home with treats. We should have ordered even more than three tiers as our guests went back for seconds and we ran out of cake. We didn't think people liked cake that much and had other desserts, but everyone flocked to the cake! Victoria was a huge help and answered all of my questions promptly. She also worked to customize the cake by making it a confetti cake, my husband's favorite. I always hear Magnolia referred to as expensive, but I compared with a few other vendors and their prices were quite reasonable. Overall fantastic experience, and we would recommend them to anyone who wants a surefire, delicious wedding cake.

Sent on 12/28/2015

Samantha · Married on 07/04/2015

We opted for a cupcake tower instead of a traditional wedding cake and LOVED our assortment from Magnolia. We live in Manhattan and frequent the shops often but wanted our wedding guests (most of whom were from out of town) to get to experience them as well....the cupcakes were a huge hit and a fun little touch to our July 4th wedding with sparklers and champagne added for our toast.

Sent on 07/09/2015

Lindsey · Married on 06/03/2015

We bought our cake from grand central magnolia bakery. The cake tasted amazing!!! It was so easy to order, collect and eat! I would recommend this bakery for any cake occasion, this was for our wedding day and it couldn't have been any better!

Sent on 06/08/2015

We travelled to New York from Scotland and arranged to have our wedding cake supplied by Magnolia Bakery. It was easy to organise and the correspondence by email was timely and helpful in terms of working out what would be most suitable for us on the day. The cake was beautiful and delicious and we thoroughly enjoyed it!

Sent on 01/10/2015

Neil · Married on 07/12/2014

Our wedding cake turned out amazing and was delicious! Everyone that had the cake could not get enough of it, red velvet is the way to go. The cake looked beautiful!

Sent on 07/18/2014
  • Lindsay

Lindsay · Married on 05/31/2014

People are still talking about our wedding cake! So... wedding cakes are WAY more expensive than I ever imagined. That being said, if I'm going to pay that kind of money, I want it to not only look good, but taste amazing! That's what you get with Magnolia. We had a New York wedding, so it seemed the obvious choice, and we weren't disappointed! It was beautiful- just what we had asked for, and tasted awesome! As far as using Magnolia as a vendor, I'd HIGHLY recommend them!

Sent on 07/31/2014

Fantastic. Went out of their way to make a color they don't normally make. All for a small cake they didn't really make much margin on.

Sent on 12/09/2013

Nicoletta · Married on 07/20/2013

Excellent quality wedding cake - and very tasty! Had many compliments about the red velvet...also was inexpensive and worth every bite!

Sent on 09/19/2013

From the get-go I knew I wanted to have Magnolia as my wedding cake vendor as it is my Husband and my favorite bakery in New York City. I worked with Katie out of the Columbus Circle location and she was such a sweetie pie. We met for a tasting (even though I knew what everything tasted like already because I practically go there weekly) and she was so receptive to my ideas and helped with inspiration. She kept my budget in mind and really worked with me to make everything beautiful. We paid a little extra to have them decorate everything and put monograms on the cupcakes but it was totally worth it.

Sent on 07/14/2013

Jackie · Married on 01/12/2013

We worked with Lara during the whole planning process with Magnolia Bakery. She helped us make a deconstructed wedding cake that looked beautiful and wow'd our guests. She was super responsive in all emails and helped make recommendations with her input. The cakes looked beautiful and even more importantly, tasted great!

Sent on 03/03/2013

Danielle · Married on 10/20/2012

We got Magnolia's cupcakes instead of a wedding cake for our wedding, and it was one of the best decisions we made for our wedding. The coordinator/manager at the bakery was awesome - we went in for a free tasting (YUM!) and we chose three flavor combinations - classic vanilla/vanilla, devil's food cake with whipped frosting, and lemon meringue. We also had our choice of colors for the wrappers of each flavor - we picked colors to coordinated with our wedding colors. The manager also helped us choose the right number of cupcakes for each flavor based on the number of guests, and we also purchased from Magnolia's 'take home' boxes, which our guests LOVED because some of them were too stuffed from dinner to each dessert (or they wanted to take a second cupcake home with them!) The delivery and everything was easy. We loved working with them, and we LOVED the cupcakes!!11

Sent on 03/30/2014

Kim · Married on 04/21/2012

I am originally from NJ and LOVE the Magnolia Bakery. When I saw at the beginning of the year that they were beginning to ship their cupcakes nationwide I knew I had to have them for my wedding in Wrightsville Beach, NC. I contacted their event manager Hannah and while I was in NYC for my bachelorette party met with her at the Columbus Street store and had a tasting. She allowed me to order my cupcakes through her directly since it was a wedding and I was nervous going only through the website. My wedding was on Saturday and 84 cupcakes of assorted flavors arrived Friday afternoon to my resort. My planner called me in and they were amazing. Hannah included sugar shells to put on top of each cupcake to hide the small hole that comes when they are shipped. The icing was flawless on all the cupcakes and even I was astonished at how well they were packaged and traveled. All of my guests were amazed once I told them where they were from and how I got them there. It was definitely worth it.

Sent on 05/29/2012

LAM · Married on 10/03/2009

YUM! The cupcakes were a huge hit at the wedding.

Sent on 10/22/2009

ROBERT AND DOROTHY · event on 03/20/2015

Fantastic taste selection and quality of cakes l and my friends have ever tasted

Sent on 03/25/2015

Amy · Married on 09/10/2011

My husband and I eat a fair amount of Magnolia cupcakes (which is why we chose them in the first place for our wedding), but I can honestly say that the batch they made for the wedding was the best cupcake I've ever eaten! Yummy!

There were some issues with traffic on the day of our wedding, but Magnolia called to let us know that even if they didn't make it within the window of time that we had been assigned, they would be there in plenty of time for the reception. It ended up that there were no issues with delivery, but we were so glad that they were professional enough to give us a heads-up that there could be an issue.

Sent on 10/17/2011

I was thrilled to discover Magnolia's "deconstructed wedding cake" option. We were able to order a mix of 6inch and 9inch round cakes of all different flavors for our 150 guests. We have gotten SO much feedback from our guests that they loved being able to go to the cake table and choose their flavor!

We worked with Kerry, and she was helpful, responsive, and professional.

Thanks Magnolia!

Sent on 05/07/2015

We absolutely adored our wedding cake from magnolia bakery. At times, the communication was a bit slow but on the day everything was so prefect. Cake was delivered directly to venue and magnolia bakery communicated directly with our venue to arrange times etc. 100 % recommend using magnolia for your wedding cake.

Sent on 09/17/2014