Layers Sensational Cakes Reviews

Layers Sensational Cakes 6
Layers Sensational Cakes 7

Alex · Married on 10/04/2008

3.5

Layers did both the groom's cake (carrot cake shaped like a Super Mario mushroom), and our wedding cake (3 tier death by chocolate with marzipan). Both were so delicious, and both didn't have that stale wedding cake taste. They were moist and fresh tasting. All our guests loved the cake, we can't wait for our 1 year anniversary to eat it again!

Sent on 10/21/2008

Kaley · Married on 03/30/2013

Although we got off to a rough start, our overall experience was great! Initially getting in contact with our consultant was difficult and emails were sporatic, but once we met at the tasting, we really hit if off. Not only was the cake beautiful and delicious, it was exactly what I had requested -- which was not a typical wedding cake. Delivery was timely and guests loved it! Hazel was beyond helpful at our consultation and I can't thank Layers enough for the outstanding job they did! Pictures to come soon!

Sent on 04/05/2013

Shayna · Married on 03/17/2014

2.5

We ordered a small two-tier wedding cake for a small and private wedding on St. Patricks' Day. We ordered it late in the game and the staff was very flexible. Layers staff also accommodated our quirky flavor, "poppy seed cake with almond flavored frosting!" (delicious by the way!) They designed the cake off a picture we emailed and it was beautiful. The 4.5 rating is for two reasons: 1) They didn't deliver to our location (25 minutes/miles way). So that was inconvenient and a little scary as it's the first layer cake I've had in my car. Luckily no bumps or mishaps along the way. 2) there wasn't a top cover for the box. I realize it is a 2-tier cake but again, it felt unsafe without a top. All in all - great cake design, great service and the cake itself wasn't just for show - it was very fresh and yummy!

Sent on 03/31/2014

M · Married on 09/25/2013

Delicious cakes! Unlike some of the negative reviews, we found the staff and Hazel the owner friendly and helpful. Their cakes are out of this world good! We just tasted five different cakes for our wedding cake and ended up going with the lemon. The delivery and decoration was as we requested, and no snafus in getting the cake to our small wedding party at Casanova. We just had a single tier cake since our party was so small, so perhaps that contributed to the ease. But I was very happy with how it all turned out and would recommend without hesitation to a friend.

Sent on 10/19/2013

Monica · Married on 06/27/2015

My wedding cake turned out amazing!! We ended up choosing the White Cake with fresh cut strawberries/whip cream in the middle with a french buttercream frosting. We opted to do a simple 2 tier cake and the rest sheet cake and the pricing was very reasonable. I have received so many compliments on how beautiful our wedding cake was and more importantly how AMAZING it tasted! Thanks again!!

Sent on 07/14/2015

Nicole · Married on 10/18/2013

3.0

We chose layers for our wedding cake...

The cake looked absolutely gorgeous and everyone thought the cake tasted wonderfully! We received many compliments on how great the cake was...

The only downfall to our experience was that 2 out of the 3 layers were incorrect... The layer we cut into and fed to each other was not even correct which was a total bummer for us since we were so excited for our cake...

I called Layers after the wedding to inform them of the discrepancy with our cake and I almost felt like the issue was not taken too seriously... I received an apology which was nice but I just got the feeling as if it were not a big deal =(

I asked that they make us a replacement cake topper for our 1 year anniversary for the inconvenience and they said they would...

The quality of the cake was great! The bummer was that we only received 1 layer out of 3 that correct.

Sent on 11/04/2013

Elena · Married on 09/04/2011

3.5

The cake was delicious and they are very professional! The only thing I didn't like was the ribbon and brooches they used on my cake. My cake was only going to plain white fondant, but with really nice elaborate ribbon and brooches around each layer. They looked really cheap though. I should have just supplied them myself I suppose, but they had assured me that they would use only high quality materials (including the ribbon). Other than that, everyone really enjoyed the cake. They also threw in some free cupcakes for the kids at the wedding, so that was really nice of them! I would recommend them to other brides.

Sent on 10/01/2011

June · Married on 04/22/2017

3.5

Communication was a little off at first, but the cake was amazing and so many compliments

Sent on 07/09/2017

Shyra · Married on 09/25/2010

3.0

The cake was delicious and beautiful! We were very happy with the results and Layers was very easy to work with! It was a little tough getting a hold of someone when I called about changes I wanted to make, but overall it was a good experience at a good price...

Sent on 12/13/2010

Karen · Married on 09/13/2008

4.2

We loved the atmosphere of this bakery. Very friendly, family oriented staff. Wonderful tasting experience. Cake was what we wanted. Not sure the cake was the same flavor that we chose when we did the tasting but it was still wonderful. Would recommend this bakery to anyone, anytime.

Sent on 02/19/2009

3.0

The carrot cake we ordered was beautiful and delicious. With extra uplighting around the cake table, the cake was an attractive centerpiece in the room.

Sent on 06/11/2015

Melissa · Married on 09/25/2010

3.0

I had a small wedding and decided to go with cupcakes with a cake topper and honestly, I would have paid more than what they charged me. The cakes were yummy, and they looked beautiful! I have been getting my brithday cake here since I was sixteen, I'm now 27, and hae always known I would get my wedding cake here. The only disappointment was that I felt like I had to chase them down to get answers to questions and then to follow up in the weeks before the big day. Thankfully, they came through beautifully and I would definitely recommend them to anyone, just be sure to be on your A game.

Sent on 10/07/2010

Andrea · Married on 07/20/2003

3.0

They made a delicious cake. I brought in a picture for inspiration and they made a beautiful design very close to the picture.

Sent on 08/06/2008

2.5

Layers cakes was easy to work with and responsive. However, we asked them to do a custom cake and it fell short, really short on our expectations. The cake tasted great but otherwise we weren't pleased.

Sent on 09/10/2015

3.0

EVERYONE loved my cake and it was GORGEOUS and tasted ABSOLUTELY incredible. I chose the Strawberry Shortcake with Buttercream icing and It was so good, it had fresh sliced strawberry's, the cake was moist and soft and the buttercream was the perfect combination it wasn't overly sweet it was perfectly decadent. On the phone they weren't very nice and it was hard to get through to anyone I was on hold for 30 minutes one time because they forgot about me so I had to call back. But overall what was important was that my husband and I enjoyed the cake and so did our guests.

Sent on 09/25/2012

• Priscilla

Priscilla · Married on 10/11/2014

3.6
      3.5

Let me start by saying Hazel is awesome. We communicated through email and by phone. We came in to taste a few flavors and they were delicious.

I had emailed pictures and communicated very specifically what I wanted the design to look like. We did a three tier, two single side tiers and a dozen cupcakes. I wanted the frosting to look like a rose on top of each of the cupcakes and again showed pictures of exactly what I wanted, I was assured that it was no problem. Unfortunately I didn't see the display until my husband and I went to cut the cake. The designs were not as I had shown them, and the cupcakes looked like regular cupcakes ( no rose design)

What I can say is they still looked beautiful, they just weren't what I had specified. And the flavors were definitely the best I had ever had. All in all I wasn't completely disappointed

Sent on 11/25/2014

Kristen · Married on 08/10/2013

3.6
      3.5

Our cake was beautiful and relatively affordable. The only thing that I wasn't impressed with was the lack of availability on their part to meet with me to do cake tasting. As I was an out of town bride, it was difficult for me to set up an appointment for a week day, but there was no availability for the weekend. I was not entirely pleased with my cake flavor, but of course that was only a small part of the big day. I would recommend them if you live in the area, or are able to set up an appointment to select your cake flavor. They were worth it, and provided free delivery if the reception was in the Monterey area.

Sent on 01/06/2014

Roxanne · Married on 08/08/2009

3.4
      3.0

I have to say - I was all excited to have Layers do my cake (since their designs are amazing), but just for good measure, I booked 2 appointments to shop around for a vendor. The first place I went to (not Layers) had the most incredible cake flavors & their designs weren't as great as Layers, but they said that they could definitely do my design. When I went to layers next, their cake tasted so bland after having the first choice. The icing tasted like it was whipped crisco & the cake tasted like regular pound cake. Plus, because of the design I wanted, they insisted on fondant (which is not what I wanted) & jacked the price up. Overall, if you're only concern is design, this place is great - but I do not recommend them due to their cake taste & prices.

Sent on 10/23/2009
  • Audra

Audra · Married on 05/11/2012

1.6
      1.5
      2.0

I really was not very satisfied the cake didn't look very professionally done, they delivered the cake without the topper we had to put it on when we arrived at the reception, we were not given any kind of box to store the leftover cake and the actual cake I felt was not as good as the samples provided at the cake tasting I was just not very happy with the cake at all and it cost almost 600.00.

Sent on 05/21/2012

Lacey · Married on 09/22/2018

0.5

This bakery was on several of our preferred vendor lists (for our wedding), so we contacted them for a tasting. Instead of sitting down for a tasting, they offer a "tasting box" for $15...ok, that's fine. We picked up our tasting box on a Saturday and took it back to our hotel room. We were SUPER excited to taste all of the different flavors. We got to our hotel room (after driving 30 minutes from the bakery) and immediately dug into the pieces of cake. They were absolutely terrible! They had clearly been frozen for several days and even tasted like freezer. They were soggy in the middle (not moist like yummy cake is) and the frosting was ridiculously thick. We called the bakery to let them know (just to make sure that we weren't crazy), and they basically said that we could come by to get a new tasting box. What difference is a new box going to make? They are obviously all made super far in advance, put in the freezer, and then somewhat thawed out before being picked up. The staff of course denied that they were frozen and told us that they inject a syrup into the cake to keep it "moist" (ummm sorry, but they were soggy, not moist). Needless to say, we were very disappointed and don't want anyone else to waste their time or money on this place. Fortunately we had this experience several months before our wedding and are able to go elsewhere!

Sent on 01/22/2018

Laura · Married on 05/24/2014

0.5

I am not usually a harsh critic, but what this bakery did on my wedding day was a horror show no bride should put up with. I do not live in Monterey, so I had to do everything over the phone. I was referred to them through calling several vendors and they explained Layers was a great bakery. I called and talked to a lady named Hazel, who told me she could make the cake as I asked for around $350-400, since we were a small group she would only make a 2 tier cake. Never ever having a wedding before and thinking she was recommended, I didn't doubt her. So I sent her pictures of a cake that had sea shells wrapped around the two layers and a beach fence that wind around the cake, with 2 Adirondack chairs on top. She called back, sure no problem she did not have the little chairs but I told her I would buy them and send them to her. She then told me she would attach them on the wedding day, I told her this made me nervous, what if they don't fit on top? She said and I quote, "I have been doing this a long time I will make sure it works." Believing in her I dismissed worrying about it. The day of the wedding everything was beautiful, but then when we walked into the reception hall and I SAW the cake. Not only did the sea shells look horrible, but the little chairs were on the side of the cake-NOT EVEN ON THE TOP!!!!! To make matters worse she smeared out our initials that were on top of the little chairs. Do you know how awful it feels to have your wedding cake ruined!!!! If she was such a professional at least write our initials on the top of the cake! But to put the chairs on the side smeared and no wedding topper-thanks you are a professional!

Sent on 05/08/2015

0.0

Note: We ordered the cake from San Jose and couldn't ever go in person to the bakery, so our experience was thruough email and phone calls.
    PROS: The cake is delicious.
    CONS:
    (1) They give you no help or instructions on how to pick a cake, what colors they have, how early you need to select your cake etc. Every time I asked a question, they told me I was late (ie. I should have picked my cake colors a week ago), and even when I explained to them that I had never gotten married before and didn't know the timeline, they still offered no help
    (2) They don't have a voicemail for their phone and don't respond to email for weeks. If you call their phone and they don't pick up, you have to call again. If you have any questions or concerns, you have to chase them down. Also, the phone number listed on their wedding brochure for the owner Hazel is WRONG.
    (3) They aren't open on Sundays
    (4) The cake picture I sent them was bright pink and orange (Victoria's secret bright pink and neon orange). The cake we got for the wedding was an awful old lady pink and a brownish orange.
    (5) After the stress of just trying to get a cake, they never apologized or offered to discount the cake. Overall, the cake process is supposed to be the most exciting part, however with them it was highly stressful never being able to get a hold of them or waiting weeks to hear back from them. Not to mention that our cake was hideous. Very disappointing.

Sent on 09/16/2014