Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center Reviews

28 Reviews for Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center

• Mackenzie

Mackenzie · Married on 03/30/2019

Gorgeous Venue

The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center provides a picturesque, natural, Austin-y place for a wedding. The natural stone, wood, and metal elements of the facilities alongside the expansive fields of wildflowers in the springtime are what drew us to this place and ultimately why we chose it as our wedding venue. The Wildflower Center also carries a lot of history and heritage which you can feel when you step onto the gorgeous grounds. As a wedding venue, it was perfect for us because it had a rain plan if it did rain, we had a place to get ready onsite, and it was well priced. The venue was extremely clean and well kept for our big day. They are continually making updates to the property to keep it well maintained and appealing to couples looking to get married there in the future. The only downfall of this venue is that your ceremony cannot start before 6:30 pm which can make for a late dinner and reception for your guests. There are also a lot of restrictions on things you can and cannot do there since it’s a nature and wildflower conservatory. Other than that, this venue was a home run for us and we would highly recommend it to anyone else looking for a wedding venue in Austin, Texas.

Sent on 07/05/2019

David Thomases · Married on 10/20/2018

Perfect Garden Wedding

We loved having our wedding at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center! The gardens themselves are gorgeous, and Caitlyn (along with all the staff we worked with) was incredibly helpful and accommodating. In addition, we were able to have THREE separate plans in case of varying levels of rain! We had our ceremony and dinner in the courtyard with dancing in the visitor's center. It couldn't have gone better! If you want a garden wedding in Austin, there's not a better spot!

Sent on 10/28/2018

Callie · Married on 05/15/2018

Such a beautiful place.
    I remember when I went to look at it for the first time, I didn't even get out of the court yard before I knew I wanted my wedding here.
    My husband and I love nature and it was a perfect fit for us.

Sent on 06/28/2018

Daisy · Married on 09/22/2017

We had a fantastic wedding at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. The venue is simply unforgettable--it has something for everyone (beautiful indoor and outdoor spaces, a children's garden, room for a round of croquet on the lawn, and gorgeous corners for photo ops). Our wedding was fairly small, but you could easy accommodate triple our guest count. The space can be elegant or rustic, casual or formal and there are many locations available for the various parts of your wedding. We were also able to rent the tables and chairs that are now available on site, which was a great deal. Monica Egan, the facility rental manager, was incredibly helpful whenever we had questions about vendors or recommendations on how to set things up. One thing to be aware of: This facility is not exclusively an event space, so you do need to be smart about day-of timing. In our case, thanks to amazing friends, family and an awesome day-of-coordinator (Austin Event Studio) and catering company (DNA Events), everything was set up in a very efficient way. Ultimately, for us, the fact that this center is not just an event space but rather a research and educational facility first really appealed and fit our values as a couple. We were so happy to support the Wildflower Center and to share it with our friends!

Sent on 09/29/2017
  • F

Fran · Married on 10/08/2016

We visited many venues in the Austin area, but once my daughter and son-in-law saw the Wildflower Center, they could not be dissuaded. It is, indeed, a beautiful venue unlike any other in Austin. They do have a list of recommended vendors that you have to stick to, but they are fabulous! You want to work with those vendors because they understand the time and space constraints at the center. You will not be disappointed.

Sent on 10/22/2016

Jenni · Married on 10/01/2016

My husband and I wanted a very small, intimate wedding with only three guests and a photographer. We decided on a ceremony outside at the Wildflower Center because it's so close to our place and I've grown up exploring it. We contacted the center a few months before and they were completely open to the idea of us using some space for our tiny ceremony. They just asked we pay the entrance fees for everyone. The events coordinator, Monica, showed us some spaces around the center a couple weeks before our wedding and we picked out an area under some trees, by a babbling brook. We also had the option of renting the indoor area for the day for $400 but it wasn't necessary for us. Our pictures were lovely and even though it was a Saturday morning and there were plenty of people around, no one stopped to gawk or look what was going on. This was in October and the flowers were still in bloom and the weather was perfectly mild and calm. My one problem was that I got the biggest bug bite on my neck ever, but we brought bug spray and after that, I was doused in it!

Sent on 12/18/2016

Alissa · Married on 06/04/2016

The LBJ Wildflower Center is such an incredible venue. Mark and his team were always so helpful and responsive. We chose the Wildflower Center for several key reasons:

1. It's an absolutely beautiful venue.
    2. We were able to have an outdoor ceremony and indoor reception, which was very important to us (especially given it rained on our wedding day).
    3. You're able to bring in outside approved food vendors. We didn't want to be limited to a venue's in-house catering.
    4. We and our guests were able to take advantage of the entire venue for pictures and walking around.
    5. The venue is close to central Austin but still feels very remote. We didn't want to deal with transporting our guests to the Hill Country for a similar type of feel.

We can't recommend the Wildflower Center enough. It's our favorite place in Austin.

Sent on 08/09/2016

Elizabeth · Married on 03/26/2016

We recently got married here and it was perfect. I would not change a thing. I knew within 5 minutes that this was the only venue I needed to see. Mark helped me the whole time and was unbelievable.

Sent on 03/15/2016

Annie · Married on 09/12/2015

The Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center is a dream location for any couple looking for a venue for their wedding. It was the first place I contacted when we began to search for a venue; they were very responsive in all communications and answered all of our questions. We looked at a few other places but nothing came close to being as beautiful or versatile; there are a number of different options for where you can have your ceremony/cocktail hour/reception and all of the options are beautiful. You can bring in your own alcohol; which we did since anything we had left over and hadn't been refrigerated you can return if you purchase it from specs or twin liquor. Their preferred vendor list for catering was by far the best we saw in our search of venues, they have the best of the best on their list and if for some reason you want a catering company not on the list the fee was only 250.00; considering some other venues required you to use their catering company or pay at least 1,000.00 to go with a company not on their list we thought that was a deal (we ended up using a preferred catering company.) You will have the entire place to yourself, they don't double book the venue which was a huge plus. My husband had never been so I was able to arrange a meeting with the venue coordinator to go over the specific details of what renting the venue in tails and tour the grounds, my husband was incredibly impressed with the grounds and the buildings and the over all natural beauty of the wildflower center, he fell in love with the venue which was something I wasn't expecting. Our wedding day was absolutely beautiful and I know a main reason for this was the backdrop/atmosphere provided by choosing the Ladybird Johnson Wildflower Center as our venue. Guest absolutely raved about the beautiful location. Working with the wildflower center was painless and an absolute joy, I would highly recommend taking a look at it for your wedding and/or reception.

Sent on 12/16/2015

Kendra · Married on 05/15/2015

This was the perfect outdoor venue for our wedding! It is stunning in the spring and summer with all the natural beauty and blooming flowers. It definitely has a botanical garden feel to it. We had both our ceremony and reception here. Ceremony in the courtyard, cocktail hour in the garden, dinner in the courtyard, and dancing inside the exhibition hall. For a mid May wedding (May 15th) it was the perfect temperature for outdoor events.. about 75 degrees F. And the pictures look stunning! This is a great option if you don't want your guests traveling long distances into the hill country for a beautiful outdoor venue. We were told this was a "quintessential Austin wedding" by one of our guests. Plus you can go visit it any time before or after your wedding!

I would be aware that the backup rain option or indoor option has limited space. Max 150. We had 162 people at our wedding and it would have been challenging if we had to use the indoor space for dinner.

Sent on 05/27/2015

Dana · Married on 10/05/2012

It was always my dream to have a wedding in a simple garden setting. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center WAY exceeded my expectations. I had visited the center just to enjoy the gardens before, but had to trust in internet pictures to visualize my wedding there while planning from Seattle. Wade was very helpful and responsive to all my questions. And for the actual wedding day the wedding was perfect and the Center was gorgeous! We were able to keep the decorations very simple and just allow people to enjoy the natural beauty of the courtyard.

Sent on 01/03/2013

Shandel · Married on 04/24/2009

LBJ Wildflower Center was an AMAZING venue. It was SO beautiful and the staff was wonderful! It is wonderful for outdoor weddings, but can also be easily changed if it rains. We were overwhelmed at how gorgeous everything turned out.

Sent on 04/26/2009

Emily · Married on 08/25/2018

We absolutely loved having our wedding at the Wildflower Center. We loved that our wedding was supporting a non-profit, and that the price was super affordable. We spent less money on decorations and flowers also, simply because the venue itself was beautiful. Our guests absolutely loved it - we keep getting compliments on it! The events coordinator, Caitlin, was very helpful, professional, informative, and responsive.

The ONLY downside to the Wildflower Center was that they have a restricted list of "approved" caterers. If you do not use someone on the list, there's an additional fee. Plus, caterers have to have very high insurance liability coverage ($1m), because the Center is owned by UTexas. Ultimately, we ended up going with an "approved" caterer (PEJ Catering) and it was a really great choice. But, this rule does provide some limitations that other venues (who specialize in hosting weddings) may not have. I would, however, absolutely still recommend the Wildflower Center to anyone!

Sent on 09/21/2018

Heather · Married on 03/18/2017

My husband and I got married here in March 2017, and it was ABSOLUTELY PERFECT! We had our ceremony and reception in the courtyard, and the cocktail hour in the gallery. Both spaces were perfectly accommodating for our guests (130), and the bluebonnets in bloom made for some amazing photos. This was the first and only place we visited before booking, and we are so happy with our decision! Many of our guests were from out-of-town, and we received countless compliments on the venue.

It was a little pricey ($4,500 for a Saturday evening) and did not include anything but use of the venue, but, while it's a little pricier than some other venues, I personally think the beauty of the venue is worth the extra $$

Sent on 03/24/2017

Andrew · Married on 04/10/2016

We got married at the Wildflower Center in April and could not have imagined a more lovely space for both our ceremony and reception. We held our ceremony and dancing in the visitor’s gallery, cocktail hour in the display garden, and dinner in the courtyard. It’s no secret that Austin is gorgeous in the springtime. What we love about the Wildflower Center is their commitment to conserving that natural beauty and we kept our décor to a minimum in order to fully appreciate the surroundings. We found the venue rental process to be simple and well coordinated and communication was easy and mostly prompt. We are so pleased with our decision.

Sent on 05/28/2016

Great experience, beautiful venue. We opted for a Sunday wedding to reduce the reservation fee.

Responsiveness was rated a 4.0 because we had difficulty reaching the Director/Coordinator around the New Year's. To be fair, he was sick at the time.

Sent on 06/16/2016

Elise LaPaglia · Married on 10/05/2019

Wedding Day Dreams

When we started thinking of our dream wedding day, we knew we wanted to be surrounded by nature. We are not the typical wedding-in-a-hotel-ballroom kind of people. Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center was one of the first places I thought of and boy, am I glad I did! The gardens couldn't be more beautiful - they have perfected the tamed wilderness vibe. The natural beauty of the gardens and the fields is complemented by the Center's mission to preserve native plants and the wild creatures who call those plants home. We were overjoyed to get the wedding venue of our dreams and know that our money was going towards such a noble cause.

Speaking of cost, the price for renting the space was very reasonable compared to other venues we considered.

Caitlyn, the venue coordinator, was a joy to work with from day one. She was always super responsive, flexible, and willing to work with our schedules and requests over the course of a year. All the great vibes leading up to our big day. She also gave me great recommendations for other vendors -- one of which was Kristin Catter Events who I literally can't stop raving about.

Come wedding day, everything was perfect. Although it was opening day of Fortlandia (one of their big family events of the year), and we started our photos 2 hours before the center closed to the public, we didn't feel crowded or stressed. The venue is so big and encompasses acres of land so we had plenty of space to do our photos without impeding on the public experience. We had the ceremony in the courtyard, cocktail hour in the Theme Garden (the most GORGEOUS place at sunset), and our dinner and reception in the Great Hall. I couldn't have asked for anything more perfect. Truly!

One minor hiccup we experienced that I think future Brides will want to know: For the morning of the wedding, we rented the Library for the whole day and it was the perfect place for all the ladies to spread out and get ready. One thing, though, is you cannot bring any open alcohol into the Library -- whether or not you purchase it from the WFC cafe. I was super bummed because what Bride doesn't want to sip some bubbly with her 'maids while they get ready? When we booked the venue, we were told that we could purchase alcohol from the cafe, but not bring our own. Turns out, you cannot leave the cafe with the drinks. So, we could buy glasses of champagne but we would have had to sit in the cafe in our robes, crowded with members of the public, to drink it. Not ideal. Honestly, that is such a tiny downside to what was otherwise the absolutely perfect venue.

Overall we had THE BEST experience and I would highly recommend the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center to any Bride with a wild side and a love of nature.

Sent on 10/17/2019

Kathryn · Married on 10/26/2018

Perfect Venue

This venue is beautifully romantic

(photos in this review are by Anna Szczekutowicz Photography)

Sent on 12/18/2018

Stephanie · Married on 03/26/2017

The Wildflower Center was a perfect venue for our wedding. Its beautiful and interesting spaces made stunning backdrops for our ceremony and reception (and look fantastic in our photos!) There is no need to “decorate” here! It has a similar feel to some of the Hill Country venues, but is much closer to downtown. We loved that we had access to several different indoor and outdoor spaces, making it easy to have a rain plan and to make the most of the venue. The events staff were helpful and easy to work with, as were the on-site staff on the day of our wedding. Our guests raved about the Wildflower Center, and we felt good supporting a community organization!

Sent on 05/07/2017

3.5

I had my wedding in late April 2015 at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center and they were wonderful! The location is beautiful in the Spring and in the Fall and there is plenty of space for a mix indoor/outdoor ceremony and reception. I highly suggest working with their on site catering, as they were such a pleasure to work with and went above and beyond the call of duty. Thanks LBJ Center for making our day so special and perfect!

Sent on 06/24/2015

What a cool venue! We wanted a wedding venue that wasn't a "wedding venue" because wanted to be able to go back in the future. This was perfect. We planned to have our ceremony in the courtyard which is gorgeous. Unfortunately, I got to experience every outdoor bride's worst nightmare - Rain, and a lot of it. What makes this venue even more amazing is the Visitor's Center which is, essentially, a room full of giant windows. So, while it was heartbreaking to set aside 18 months of plans and get married indoors, we got to stand in front of floor to ceiling windows that looked out on a beautiful green field. It ALMOST felt like we were still outside. The reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because their event coordinator changed three times while we were planning and, so, we received some conflicting information. The price also dropped while we were planning which meant we had to cancel and resign our contract to save a few hundred dollars. Important note - the price only includes the venue.. no tables, chairs, etc. It is also open to the public until 5:00 every evening so you can't set up until then.

Sent on 07/23/2015

First off - the wildflower center was GORGEOUS for our wedding. Really amazing venue in terms of look and feel, we are so glad we got married there. We used the Arboretum for the ceremony, the Gallery for the cocktail hour and dancing, and the Courtyard for dinner. Everything was beautiful, including the weather! But, if it had rained, the center has the best rain plan with the Gallery and Library, so we didn't have to worry.

The venue contact wasn't overly helpful, but she got the job done. A few things were overlooked that we had asked for on the day of, but that could have been our own fault given how crazy everything was in the few hours we had to set up. It sometimes took a few days to get responses to our emails, etc.

All that said, the price was right, the venue was stunning, and we would use it again without a second though.

Sent on 06/15/2015

3.0

Absolutely loved the setting for our brief, informal ceremony! It was beautiful, quiet, casual, and the library was the perfect place for lunch and visiting.

Sent on 07/01/2014

Tov · Married on 11/12/2016

3.0

The first time we visited the Wildflower Center, before we were even engaged, we knew it was where we wanted to have our wedding. The ambience in the courtyard, with the string lights and the beautiful fountain, was exactly the vibe we were going for. There are several other options for both the ceremony and reception (including indoor options), but because the weather was perfect, we had both in the courtyard. It felt magical.

The booking process was pretty easy. The Wildflower Center is a UT facility and uses a UT contract. We did try to make a few changes to the contract but ultimately we weren't able to make them - it wasn't a deal breaker. There are a lot of restrictions in the contract (no pets, no flower petals, etc.) that were all fine with us. The only restriction that was a bummer was that UT does not allow drones. My husband really wanted to incorporate a drone into the ceremony. We got over it. From the time we booked about 16 months in advance to the date of the wedding the contact person changed a few times but it didn't create any issues. There was an on-site day-of coordinator whom we had very little contact with. We had our own outside wedding planner who presumably coordinated with the Wildflower Center's coordinator.

It is important to know that the Wildflower Center provides a spectacular space for a wedding, but you have to bring in everything yourself - from tables and chairs to additional lighting if you want it. This is why the venue is so affordable! So, be prepared to work with a lot of vendors. For that reason, we'd recommend hiring a wedding coordinator if you plan to have your wedding at the Wildflower Center. You won't regret having someone to coordinate with all of those vendors to make sure your day is absolutely perfect!

Sent on 12/03/2016

Melissa · Married on 03/02/2013

3.6
      3.5

I got married at the Wildflower Center this past weekend. It is a beautiful venue for a medium-sized wedding. However, if you are looking for an "all-inclusive" venue, this is not your place. The facility rental fee is just that. All you get is the facility. We had to rent tables, chairs, linens, dinnerware, everything. Everything has to be brought in and taken out. For me, I didn't mind, but I know for some brides, that would be annoying to deal with.

I fell in love with the WC from pictures on Style Me Pretty. Although I got quotes from other venues, the WC was the only venue we looked at in person. The rental fee was on the higher side, but we knew we'd save money on the alcohol, since it's BYOB (but has to be served by a licensed bartender). I also liked that we could choose from many different caterers instead of being forced to go with one, such is often the case at all-inclusive venues.

There are so many options with the Wildflower Center: you can have a ceremony in the courtyard, gallery, or auditorium. If having the ceremony in the courtyard, you can face the pond or the stone archway. Cocktail hour can happen in the courtyard, back gardens, gallery, auditorium, whatever. The options are endless. Having said that, there are also a ton of restrictions with this venue:

1. Since the WC is open to the public until 5:30, we weren't granted official use of the space until 5:30, and they recommended that services don't start until 6:30 at the very earliest.
    2. Sparklers were not allowed, which is something I always envisioned having at my send-off.
    3. The max approved occupancy is 200 people, so if you plan on having more than 200 guests, choose a different venue.
    4. You have to go with one of their approved caterers, which honestly isn't a problem at all, since they have some amazing caterers on the list.
    5. Tents are not allowed.

See the rest of my review on Yelp, since there seems to be a character limit.

Sent on 03/05/2013