Justin McCallum Photography Reviews

55 | Astoria, NY

55 Reviews for Justin McCallum Photography

Jing A. · Getting married on 04/06/2021

A lovely wedding photographer

Justin is a dream to work with - professional, responsive, dependable and produces a high quality of work. Even more so, he's a great person all around. He takes the time to get to know his couples before the shoot and is like a friend through the big day. He's comfortable in an intimate ceremony, as well as a festive party environment. I know because I've worked with him in both. I would recommend him to anyone who is looking for a wedding or special occasion photographer.

Sent on 10/22/2019
  • Noah

Noah M. · Getting married on 04/02/2021

Amazing and fun photographer with character

Justin was really amazing to work with. All of the photos were really excellent. He has a wonderful demeanor, and a way of getting us out of our heads and just enjoy ourselves. Some of our favorite pictures were the goofier ones he had us take, which also helped us relieve some stress just before the wedding itself. Justin and his team were relentlessly positive and they were a delight to work with. Hopefully we don’t need to hire another wedding photographer again, but if we do, we’d hire Justin!

Sent on 10/10/2020
  • Maria

Maria T. · Married on 02/07/2021

Create Precious Lifetime Memories!

From the beginning, I knew Justin would be fantastic. He spoke with me at length before the wedding to get to know me and my fiancé, and ALL of our guests (we had a tiny wedding). On our wedding day, he showed up on time, and everyone in our party fell in love with his easy going, fun manner, which of course, led to him taking so many amazing, candid shots! Afterward, the photos perfectly captured the myriad emotions of our special day! There were so many incredible photos; every time I look at all of them again, I find another one, and another one, and...another one! He created beautiful, touching, fun, quirky, lasting memories for us. How amazing is that!!!

Sent on 10/23/2019
  • Laurence

Laurence B. · Married on 02/03/2021

Amazing pandemic wedding w/ Justin

Summary:
    Justin was wonderful to work with! I highly recommend him.

For context:
    We were one of the few weddings that happened in March 2020 — during the start of COVID & when the world was in intense panic/unknown. We went forward with our wedding anyway... but cut the guest list down to JUST 4 people to be safe — our parents.

Details:
    Even though our plans changed last minute (literally 48 hours before the big day), Justin rose to the occasion! He was a lot of fun to work with, and he really elevated the mood. Justin also had a calming presence and was able to adapt quickly with the last-minute change of plans that was completely outside of our control. Which I think, in the year 2020, is KEY. Lastly, the final pictures were amazing. He sent them SO quickly. I've heard stories of people waiting weeks to get sneak peek pictures... his turnaround time blew me away. (For the sneak peek pictures and the full reel.) Again, highly recommend him. Our wedding experience was certainly not "normal" with COVID starting to spring up in the US. So, I imagine Justin would be even more delightful in "normal" circumstances... if there even is such a thing as "normal"!

Sent on 12/14/2020

Ali · Married on 11/21/2020

The absolute greatest

Words can only go so far to describe Justin's work -- and Justin!

He is so good at what he does and it shows in each and every picture. He takes the time to make you feel comfortable, especially for those who find picture taking out of their comfort zone, and he does it in the most genuine way. He actually makes you laugh and smile, not pretend for the camera. He's got a ton of ideas of course and knows what looks right in what setting or lighting, but asks for your input in case there's anything you really wanted to do, so you become a team. And as though you aren't already on a high from such a great session, when you see the pictures themselves, well... I'm a writer and even I find it's hard to place in words. I've personally never seen myself the way I did in those pictures he took, and it meant the world to me to capture that and the love my fiance and I share. Justin accomplishes all of that and more and I would recommend him in a heartbeat to anyone looking for quality photography, absolute professionalism and the kindest heart.

Sent on 10/23/2018
  • AJ Benjamin

Aj Benjamin · Married on 09/06/2020

Amazing photographer before, during, and after!

Justin was the perfect wedding photographer. Working with vendors can be tough, so it was a pure joy to collaborate with someone as professional as Justin.

In the months leading up to the wedding, Justin provided the perfect amount of communication, clearly expressing what he needed from us and how we could help him, without ever seeming like a nag. Justin was our photography confidant: listening to our vision for the wedding day while also lending professional expertise and advice when we needed it. Justin was extremely prepared – just before the big day scouted the location and designed several shots, including an amazing group shot of our ~200 wedding guests!

He was a dynamo during the actual event and somehow managed to be everywhere in our large venue while never seeming imposing. There is not a single important moment that Justin missed. We continue to be impressed by the variety and talent of shots – posed shots were arranged without ever disrupting the flow of the event, candids were oh-so romantic, and he captured so many moments of band-playing boogie-down dancing fun!

Justin’s turnaround after the wedding was stellar; within 5 days of the wedding, we got a "sneak preview" that contained 60 beautiful shots. He was even willing to do some photoshop magic on one of them where an uncle was taking a very awkward bite of food during an otherwise beautiful moment!

TL;DR: Book Justin, he's friendly, artistic, experienced, and delivers amazing results.

Sent on 10/30/2019
  • Melissa

Melissa M. · Married on 08/22/2020

Amazing photographer with an excellent eye for capturing organic moments.

My fiancé and I had an amazing experience working with Justin! Excellent communication from start to finish, safety precautions were taken for the entire shoot, and the final photographs were gorgeous. Justin captured real, organic, fun moments; nothing looked overly posed or forced. Very highly recommend!

Sent on 10/10/2020

Marissa W. · Married on 05/02/2020

Engagement pics

Justin was so great!! He was super flexible and gave us lots of options. I’m extremely critical and he promised me he would get some good photos. He did not disappoint! Hoping to use him again in the future

Sent on 10/22/2019
  • Jamie

Jamie W. · Married on 01/10/2020

The BEST Decision EVER!!!

Simply put, Justin is the BEST of the BEST. While his photos are undeniably beautiful in every way, it is Justin’s personality, humor, flexibility, professionalism, and panache that set him apart from all the rest. He was one of the first vendors we hired and, from day one, we knew were in excellent and expert hands. He took the time to get to know us as individuals and as a couple, which allowed us to have a seamless relationship (and friendship!) by the time we actually stood in front of his camera during our sweetheart session and on our wedding day. This level of comfort was key — neither my husband nor I had ever been professionally photographed, but Justin made us feel completely at ease by cracking jokes, making us whisper funny things in each other’s ears, and giving us gentle guidance about what we could do to make the moment, well, picture perfect! Justin goes above and beyond for his clients. During a pre-wedding chat, I mentioned the possibility of having anxiety about being the center of attention on our wedding day and the pressure of talking to so many family and friends. Justin suggested we have a signal between us so that he could whisk me away if I was stuck talking to someone for too long. I’m lucky that I didn’t need to use the signal, but just knowing Justin had my back was hugely comforting. Additionally, after we hired Justin, we were at a loss for where else to turn for the other million things needed to put this wedding together. In a flash, Justin was there with infinite recommendations based on our taste, our budget, and his own vendor relationships. Hiring Justin was one of the best decisions we made and I would recommend him a thousand times over!!!!!

Maximillian W. · Married on 01/10/2020

Choosing a photographer is hard, but look no further than Justin McCallum!

Choosing a photographer for the most important day of your life can feel like a lot of pressure, but I encourage you to look no further than Justin McCallum. Aside from his expert eye for details, colors, and scenery and his incredible ability to capture the smallest, most sincere details between my wife and me, it was his personality that truly made the photos from our sweetheart session and wedding day as great as they were.

From the moment we met, Justin had a way of putting us at ease throughout the process with his excellent sense of humor, which he uses to extract the best moments out of his couples. During our sweetheart session and our wedding, Justin prompted us with jokes, questions, and physical motions to help us loosen up and be comfortable in front of a camera, which made a world of difference in the quality of the photos, but also our memories of the photo sessions themselves. I am thrilled to have worked with someone so talented and authentic, and I wish I could get married to my wife again just work with him one more time!

• Erik

Erik A. · Married on 12/10/2019

Justin is the best!

To say that Justin is the best ever would be a severe understatement. If I could press the 5-star button a million times, I would. My wife and I hired him to be our wedding photographer and we couldn't be happier with that decision. From the very beginning, he was an absolute pro, put in the work to get to know us as people, did everything in his power to capture the magic of our special day, and was all around just an amazing human. He's exceptionally skilled at his craft and a true artist. He knows how to make you feel comfortable, relaxed, and (most importantly) have fun while you're being photographed. He takes total charge of the situation, especially when wrangling family members (and us) for photos throughout the day, which was super clutch. We did one of his Sweetheart Sessions before the wedding as well and it was an absolutely blast. I would recommend Justin for any/all of your photographer needs!

Sent on 10/25/2019

Josh R. · Married on 11/16/2019

An artist and a joy to be around!

My wife and I love movies. A lot. So much so that we're on a first name basis with the staff of our local multiplex. When we got engaged we knew we wanted to have our pictures taken at the theater. It seemed like a crazy idea and Justin jumped at the chance. He came to the shoot filled with ideas and a contagious enthusiasm. Even before we got the amazing pictures we knew we wanted to hire him for our wedding day. The photos from the engagement shoot made us even more excited for our wedding, if only to see what Justin would do!

On the day of the wedding he made us feel comfortable and at ease the whole time. He worked with our wedding planner and videographer to make sure everything went buttery smooth so we could be completely stress free. Our friends and family loved him too! He managed to make what by all accounts should have been an uncomfortable few hours and turn it into a genuinely fun experience for everyone involved. The wedding party had a blast goofing around and posing together.

In addition to his great eye for staging Justin has a way of capturing moments of beauty you didn't even know were there. Blink-and-you-miss-them moments like the belly laugh after a joke, the joy of dancing with old friends, and the most meaningful of shared glances. He managed to bottle the full range of emotions of our day and lay them out in stunning detail so we can relive it over and over again.

Not only is Justin McCallum a phenomenal photographer, he's also a passionate lovely person who is a joy to be around as well as work with.

Sent on 04/06/2020
  • Jamie

Jamie K. · Married on 11/16/2019

Justin McCallum: The best wedding photographer around!

I should begin this review with the fact that I am a very self conscious person—I rarely like looking at photos of myself and the photos I enjoy taking are goofy ones where I can lean into my more unique qualities. So when it came time to choose who would capture our wedding day (and our engagement photos before that!) I knew I needed someone I could trust and who could make me feel comfortable. I’m so thankful that Justin McCallum is out in the world providing that exact service. Not only does Justin have a truly unique eye capturing traditionally beautiful photographs but he can see beyond the traditional as well and find angles you never knew existed! All of our staged photos came out perfectly, but my favorites from the day were the candids he captured where he just allowed us to be ourselves enjoying the day—those photos were where the true magic was found. Me taking in all my loved ones at the reception. A high five between my now husband and I before entering dinner. My best friend wiping away some happy tears. There are too many specific snapshots to mention that I treasure as much as the day itself. In terms of personality and professionalism there’s no one like Justin: he has a way of making you feel at ease and sensing when you’re feeling self conscious or sensitive and knowing how to bring you back to Earth. He can make you laugh naturally, asks questions that refocus and recenter yourself and is just amazingly kind and considerate to everyone around you. There’s no barking orders from Justin—he keeps his cool under the most stressful of circumstances and just felt like one of the gang on the day. I can’t count how many of my friends and family came to me after the wedding and told me “Justin was AMAZING” because he made us ALL feel special and beautiful. One of my favorite moments of the day was as the sun had almost set Justin ran up to us and said “I need to borrow you!” and he took us outside to where the sky was an indescribable shade of red and orange and took a gorgeous silhouette of my husband and I before he lost the light. It’s maybe my favorite photo ever taken. So please, if you’re looking for a wedding photographer don’t just take my word for it, take the word of everyone who was present at our wedding who felt just as blessed to be documented by an artist as talented and a soul as kind as Justin McCallum.

Sent on 04/06/2020
  • Hope

Hope R. · Married on 10/26/2019

Gorgeous Photos & Great Guy!

I don’t even know where to begin with Justin! My husband worked in photography for years and was extremely picky about who we hired. When we saw Justin’s portfolio we agreed, we needed to hire him! His photos were so vibrant and beautiful we knew he could capture our wedding how we envisioned it. We were very right! Leading up to the wedding, Justin met up with us twice. Once, when we first were considering hiring him. He knew it was important to get to know each other so we would be comfortable on the wedding day. He was so kind and energetic, I knew he would make me and everyone else feel comfortable in front of the camera. A week before the wedding, we met with Justin again to go over our shot list. He reviewed details carefully and made suggestions that were incredibly helpful! On the day of, he was a true DELIGHT to work with. Everyone in the wedding party said he was great. Justin took us around DUMBO to take pictures and he had spots that weren’t packed with people but still captured the essence of our Brooklyn wedding. Also, he was FANTASTIC with my flower girls and ring bearer. He knew jokes to get the kids looking right at him and smiling and laughing. Their parents couldn’t believe it and said they were taking notes. We got 65 teasers 4 days, FOUR DAYS, after the wedding and they are all beautiful. I can’t wait to see all the photos but I can 100% say we made the right decision in hiring Justin and that his vibrant photography style and personality are the best combination to photograph any event.

Sent on 11/02/2019
  • Nicole

Nicole S. · Married on 10/12/2019

Justin is the best

My husband and I are so obsessed with Justin and his photography! He was the first vendor we hired for our wedding, and we knew from the minute we met with him that he was the one (actually, from his first email response to our date inquiry where he asked a ton of questions about us and our relationship). He really gets to know you as a couple before he photographs you and makes you feel so comfortable while you are being photographed. We did a "sweetheart session" with him in May, which was a ton of fun, and the photos turned out so beautifully. He also sent 10 photos as a preview literally 2 hours after our wedding ended and they are perfect. We cannot wait to see the rest of the photos and cannot rave about Justin enough. He's a total pro, does his homework, clearly takes time to prep, and knows how to take control of the situation (e.g. wrangling and organizing family members for photos). He is just the best - super responsive, friendly, really fun to work with, and so great at what he does. Hire him!

Sent on 10/21/2019

Alison C. · Married on 08/17/2019

Excellent!!

Justin was great! We had our wedding at Reid Castle in August 2019 and Justin knew the best spots in the castle to capture personal moments on our special day. He made everyone feel comfortable and accommodated all of our photo requests on the shot list. Justin met with us beforehand to discuss our wedding vision and followed through every step of the way. Our photos are amazing and we are thrilled! Justin is a class act from start to finish. Nick and I highly recommend Justin.

Sent on 09/05/2020

Leatal C. · Married on 08/09/2019

Fun fun fun

Justin not only delivered the most beautiful photos, he made the entire process of being captured so much fun and relaxing which is one of the most important skills of a wedding photographer. The photos were not posed at all and it is so evident in the finished product. I would highly recommend Justin over anyone because he will be making you laugh your entire wedding day AND deliver amazing pictures!!!

Sent on 03/31/2020

Krista · Married on 08/07/2019

Hire this photographer, he is the best

I could not say better things about Justin. My fiancé and I were nervous to do an engagement photo shoot in the middle of a pandemic (lol) but Justin made us both feel completely at ease, which is really saying a lot since we are both camera shy. Because we wanted to take photos in Central Park (again mid-pandemic - the only place people could go), Justin met us in the park at 7AM and walked all over with us to get the best shots. He was so easy to work with, made us feel comfortable and really encouraged us to be ourselves. Needless to say, his working style was 10/10. As for the actual photos, I AM NOT EXAGGERATING WHEN I SAY these are the best photos we have ever taken under any circumstance, ever. Not only has he completely captured our relationship but we also look great. If you are considering booking him for your wedding and went authentic beautiful photos that tell a story - you should hire him.

Sent on 10/31/2020

S Silver · Married on 07/09/2019

Excellent.

We just got married and I haven't even received all the pictures yet. However, I can say with great confidence that Justin was terrific to work with. He kept me smiling, was very responsive to our wishes, and was exactly the person I wanted around with me all day. He also was creative in finding great spots to take the perfect photo. I highly recommend him.

Sent on 10/23/2019

Sheera B. · Married on 07/05/2019

Adore Justin - awesome guy, great pictures!

Hiring Justin was one of the easiest choices of the whole wedding planning process. I worked with him at a camp counselor job years ago and have watched, super impressed, as his portfolio grew over the years. It was important to me to work with someone who both had quality work, and who I knew would “get me” and I’d enjoy spending time with through the planning process and on the wedding day itself. When I shared the idea, and Justin’s work, with my fiance, he was completely on-board. My partner is even more camera shy than me and after the wedding he commented on what a joy it was to work with Justin, because in setting up shots “Justin encouraged us to just have fun and be ourselves. Nothing felt forced.” Others guests agreed and noted how nice it was that Justin never felt “in their face,” but he was always around capturing beautiful moments. Also, Justin went way beyond his role as a photographer and was a huge support as my emotions built up on the day-of. For example, during a pre-ceremony moment when I was stressing, he grabbed my hands and reminded me to take a breath. Justin is a gem of a human and super freaking talented. I’ve already recommended him to numerous friends and can’t wait for an excuse to work with him again.

Sent on 07/14/2019

Jacob R. · Married on 06/04/2019

A gifted photographer and a wonderful person

Justin was wonderful to work with, both kind and talented. We had several meetings before the wedding day so he could get to know us, our wedding and what we were hoping to achieve. He asked all the right questions and put us completely at ease that everything would be handled.

On the day of the wedding, Justin was punctual and professional. He was so relaxed and funny that it helped us have a good time. He made sure everyone stayed on schedule while never stressing us out. He was great with both posed and candid photos. He wasn’t too intrusive during dancing but he still managed to capture breathtakingly good shots. Overall, he was a dream to work with and the photos perfectly capture everything we were hoping our wedding could be. We couldn’t recommend him more highly.

Kasuni P. · Married on 01/06/2019

Relaxed yet Professional

It was great working with Justin. He’s extremely professional, punctual and very easy to get along with. He captured a diverse set of poses which he encouraged. His use of various backgrounds enhanced our photos in a way where each photo told a different story (or chapter) within the complete set. The session with him felt extremely comfortable and not rushed. He was fun, airy and a pleasure to work with. We we’re happy that he gave us a link to many of the photos (and not just a few). We are so fortunate to have Justin as our photographer and very thankful.

Sent on 10/28/2019

Johanna V. · Married on 10/13/2018

More than a Vendor - a Part of our Community

Hiring Justin was the best decision we made in the process of our wedding planning. I had to write this review right after our wedding to make sure as many couples as possible knew how amazing he is to work with ASAP. We interviewed a lot of photographers, and spoke to many amazing artists, but were drawn to Justin's warm personality and clear passion for capturing the uniqueness of each individual couple's love. After our wedding, so many of our guests approached us to compliment us on our friend who was taking pictures - except we only met Justin a few months ago when we hired him. He integrated into our community so well that he seemed like a part of our party instead of an outsider. My mother also commented that he was smiling and having a great time the entire time he was taking pictures. He kept all of us laughing while we were photographed. I am not someone who feels comfortable being photographed and I had a lot of anxiety (to the point of tears) as I considered having to be so vulnerable on my wedding day but I knew it was important to hold onto these memories. Justin made me feel safe the whole time we worked together and based on the few teaser photos he's sent our way he was able to capture our personalities and our love beautifully. If you hire Justin you will not regret it. You will end up with a wedding day that is better because he is there AND you'll get rad pictures to remember how awesome the day was.
    P.S. When we were looking for a videographer, Justin directed us to Elizabeth Mealey who was able to collaborate with him on our still images and capture video throughout the day. She was an AMAZING addition to our day as well, and I'm so grateful we decided we needed video and that we found this outstanding artist to join us. If you can secure this dream team you will not regret it.

Sent on 10/15/2018

Jean-Ann · Married on 10/07/2018

Best ever (and I don’t like anyone)

Justin was the first vendor we booked after choosing our venue, and we could not have made a better choice for our wedding. From our initial consultation meeting (over drinks at a low key bar) I knew that Justin was the photographer we needed. My husband and I both instantly felt comfortable with him which was incredibly important to us as people who are not particularly excited about having our pictures taken.

Justin worked hard to ensure he knew our vision for the day, asked about any insecurities we had about being photographed, and made sure to find out how he could help us feel calm the day of. I had NO idea how important that last part would be until the day of when I was suddenly feeling like an ultra-stressed bridezilla. Every time I panicked about timing or something potentially going wrong Justin was a calm voice of reason, ensuring me everything was on track and working with our families to make sure everyone was where they needed to be. Whenever anyone asks what the best part of the wedding was, we tell them it was the 30 minutes we spent walking around our venue neighborhood with Justin. It was the calmest and happiest we felt all day.

In addition to being a phenomanal person to work with, Justin’s work product is truly amazing. I don’t think of myself as particularly photogenic, but Justin made me feel like a goddamn model in our engagement and wedding photos. I don’t know how he did it, but he captured the exact vibe of our relationship and our wedding. Our families can’t stop sharing the photos, and I am always waiting for another excuse to share one. If you want a professional, hilarious, insanely talented photographer for your event you cannot go wrong with Justin.

Sent on 10/31/2018
  • Jonathan

Jonathan · Married on 10/06/2018

Justin is awesome!

Wow. We LOVED working with Justin. First of all, he's a fun, funny guy and gets people laughing (when necessary) for those group family photos. He's also great when he's doing candids -- his shots are AMAZING. So happy we went with him, it couldn't have gone better.

Sent on 10/22/2018