Honored Occasions Reviews

105 | Brea, CA

105 Reviews for Honored Occasions

Angela · Getting married on 06/02/2019

We were referred to Steve from Honored Occasions by our amazing wedding coordinator Katie from Intertwined Events. the fact that she used him for her own brother's wedding is an excellent indicator. Due to my then-fiance work schedule, Steve never got to meet with him during the planning process but that was NOT a deterrent to a fun, memorable wedding. He sent us plenty of questionnaires to get to know us. It was an Indian-Vietnamese wedding that caused us a whole lot of stress planning but Steve weaved the 2 cultures expertly without offending either side and the night was as smooth as butter! The older generation (by old, i mean in their 80's and 90's) stayed till the very end to enjoy the night and the happy atmosphere that Steve and his team provided.

Music: Steve, we love you!!! our friends and family LOVE to dance and Steve did not disappoint. the transition between songs were smooth, the music was exactly what we were hoping for and we were sad when the night was over :( we kept getting "thanks for throwing a bitchi%* party" as people were leaving

Lighting: WOW! this was exactly what guests uttered when they entered our reception hall. I was pretty much leaving this up to the expert (steve) and was pleasantly surprised!

All in all, our wedding day was the BEST EVER thanks in no small part to Steve!!!

Mackenzie Lynne Berg · Married on 02/15/2019

DJ Tony was the best!!!

Anthony "DJ Tony" Hernandez was one of our very favorite vendors at our wedding! He was not only professional and personable, but he seemed to care even more than we did about making our music selection fine-tuned to please the guests and to fit us as a couple perfectly. Tony ran the show so smoothly and I swear every guest came up to my husband and I asking who our DJ was because the music selection was so amazing! Thank you so much, DJ Tony! We are forever grateful!
    Robert and Mackenzie Berg

Megan · Married on 08/22/2018

The Honored Occasions team is awesome and so talented. They also very much care about your vision for your wedding day and every detail. We booked them for their lighting expertise and boy did they deliver. They transformed our ballroom with their pinspots. They highlighted our sweetheart table, cake table, dessert and other feature areas of the room. They made our event so elegant and the photos are amazing.
    They are a joy to work with as they are easily reached and communicated with us through out the whole planning process.

Sarah · Married on 06/22/2018

We had Steve recently DJ at our wedding, and he did such an amazing job!! Steve and the guys at Honored Occasions made it sooo painless and such a great experience when were were prepping for our wedding. Steve really helped out us out and took all the stress away when it comes to all those silly detailed songs that you would never even think about! Highly recommend Honored Occasions!

Caitlyn · Married on 06/08/2018

Honored Occasions was the perfect choice for our wedding and reception, and we are so pleased with how everything turned out. We were very impressed with Ryan at our first meeting with him and he exceeded our expectations for our wedding day in every way. He and Steve were both so communicative through the planning process and follow up, and we felt we were always in great hands. We felt that every song choice was personalized and the genres and songs we had discussed wanting were all played at the perfect times and always kept the party going. Ryan is so charismatic and did an amazing job MC-ing our reception - the cherry on top was at our last song, where Ryan mixed our spoken vows from the ceremony over our last song choice, which was an amazing surprise! It was an absolutely perfect day, made all the much better by our friends at HO!

Rena · Married on 05/04/2018

Ryan was a fantastic DJ for our reception! From the very start, in our planning meetings with him, he was always very professional. The software they use allowed us to customize the music selection as much as we wanted in the months leading up to the wedding. Ryan was always very quick to respond to emails and texts. He went the extra mile and helped us edit the audio file for our first dance, with a very fast turnaround. He did a great job of being connected with reception guests and during the last song of the night, when the late-nighters were huddled together on the dance floor singing our hearts out to Journey, he joined us! It was so much fun to have him on our wedding team!

David · Married on 03/24/2018

We had our wedding at the Nixon Library with Steve as our DJ and he was great! We were looking for a fun DJ and Steve definitely fit the bill. He was very responsive to emails and phone calls and made the entire process very easy for us. The online planning tool gave us plenty of freedom and time to enter our song requests.

Our guests also responded very well to Steve. His announcements were easy to understand and clear. He's also excellent at leading games. A highlight at our wedding was when he did a musical chairs scavenger hunt. Super fun for the guests!

Honestly, if you're looking for a fun and personable DJ, Steve is your guy. He truly cares about making the wedding a fun experience for the guests. He's not the guy that just plays music and that's it.

• Karen

Karen · Married on 02/04/2018

We utilized Honored Occasions for their photobooth, lighting, DJ, and emceeing services. We met Steve Shanahan and Jeanette Ong in person. Jeannette was the emcee for our wedding. She’s is very talented and multilingual! Our guests spoke English, Cantonese, and Mandarin. It was extremely helpful for our guests. We had one specific request, which was we wanted the emcee to announce our grand entrance as a sports announcer in the style of the Chicago Bulls entrance. We were so lucky that we also had Ryan Moore on our wedding day. He did an amazing job!!! Ryan and Jeanette interacted amazingly well with our guests! As an added plus, they were such great sports and were able to join us on the dance floor and even took hilarious photos at the photo booth with us. They’re the best decision you can make for your audio and visual needs for your wedding.

Allie · Married on 08/26/2017

Our wedding was on August 26, 2017 at Pasea Resort and Spa in Huntington Beach, CA. Steve and his team were absolutely awesome! He is talented, professional and such a fun person. The Signature Dance he offers as part of his service was so special and so much for for us AND our guests. We couldn't imagine our celebration without them!

Thank you Steve!

Allie and Chris Martin

Christine · Married on 08/19/2017

My husband and I are both musicians, so hiring the right DJ was imperative for us. We met Ryan and Honored Occasions at a bridal expo 8 months before our wedding and when we decided to hire Honored Occasions, we were paired with Ryan as both our DJ and MC. Ryan was extremely professional and attentive—asking questions about our story and patiently listening to the very specific vision my husband and I had for the wedding. Ryan’s confidence and passion for his craft gave us the reassurance that he would turn our vision to reality.

On the wedding day, Ryan was punctual, approachable and SO MUCH FUN! I had three choreographed dances (accompanied by song mashups) and he hit all the cues without a hitch—there were no awkward moments or technical difficulties thanks to Ryan. We had games and events throughout the reception and he made sure to check in with us to ensure everything ran smoothly. Ryan kept the dance floor crowded all night, and I remember seeing everyone from my parent’s friends (who would never be caught on a dance floor!) to small children dancing away. His MC’ing was tasteful and not at all cheesy; my husband and I have had multiple people tell us how incredible our DJ was. I also want to mention his assistant, Jonathan, who helped keep the night going and the dance floor full. Ryan won't be someone who just speaks into a mic and pushes buttons on his laptop—he is someone who brings his A-game and gives 200%. My only regret is that I didn’t get to thank him in front of all the guests! THANK YOU Ryan and Honored Occasions for turning our vision to reality! Our guests are still talking about the wedding and it’s thanks to Ryan.

Eric · Married on 05/27/2017

Ryan was easily the best DJ we have ever worked with. I have been to a lot of weddings and Ryan was the best. He was respectful of our time, constantly communicating with us till the big day. On the wedding day he made sure we felt comfortable and ready to go. Throughout the wedding he made sure everything that happened was run through by us. He was an amazing MC and kept the wedding moving and exciting. There wasn't any down time and he even came and did some dancing with us. I would recommend Ryan 1000 times for any kind of event. Seriously book Ryan.

Elsie · Married on 05/06/2017

My husband and I chose to have an outdoor wedding reception at The Fairmont Miramar in Santa Monica and needed to outsource lighting and A/V. We were put in touch with Steve Shanahan from our photographer and immediately we knew we were in the best of hands and decided to work with him.

And I am SO glad we did! As the wedding planner of our wedding, working with Steve was an absolute pleasure. His quick response times, professionalism, and vast experience in wedding services helped us in planning a beautiful outdoor reception. When we were all done with planning lighting and A/V we decided to also have him as our entertainment guru, which turned out to be the best decision we made in the planning process. And let me tell you why...

The week leading up to our wedding there was rain of course in the forecast. Steve and I were on the phone every other day playing through scenarios and even up until the day of our wedding Steve was available for advice. The morning of the wedding, there was still rain in the forecast and Steve showed up to our venue with two plans in place for an outdoor reception and another plan for an indoor reception. Luckily the forecast cleared and we got to have the outdoor reception that we dreamed of. That is until the forecast turned into a crazy windstorm and our guests were freezing cold!!! Within 25 minutes, Honored Occassions helped facilitate along with the banquets staff at the Fairmont an indoor dance party, which was the absolute best part of our night. Ryan was our DJ and he not only played great music, he played a huge part in making this "best day ever" happen for us. We have received endless compliments from our guests about how beautiful and more importantly how fun our wedding night was and I truly owe it all to Steve, Ryan and Honored Occassions for making our night go on without a hitch.

Elsie · Married on 05/06/2017

Brooke · Married on 05/05/2017

We worked with Steve Shanahan through Honored Occasions and had the best reception ever! Nine months later, we still have guests expressing to us how much fun they had at our wedding and how the music was perfect. We had a unique interfaith wedding and Steve took care of everything for us and asked questions about details we didn't even think about. We told Steve we wanted to throw a party that no one would forget and he definitely provided. I had friends and family on the dance floor that I haven't seen even dance! Steve was very professional and encouraging throughout the planning process. He listened to every detail and works a lot through the bride and groom online portal so we were able to add songs to the "Must Have" or "Never Play" lists at home whenever they popped into our minds. Steve was so great at anticipating the crowd and adjusting to the vibe of the night. We were blown away by his talent.

Karen · Married on 04/23/2017

I have had Steve and Honored Occasions at several of our corporate holiday parties as well as this latest time at my daughter's wedding. It was because of my experience with Steve at our company parties that we chose him for the very important occasion of my daughter's wedding. Steve is a true professional. He expertly guides the event without injecting himself. He makes the guests the emphasis and ensures a great time. His tasteful and fun games, and most importantly his ability to gauge an audience and their tastes, creates an environment where the guests are involved and participating and dancing away! I had many comments from my guests at the wedding on how awesome my DJ was. You can't go wrong with Honored Occasions. They are experienced and seasoned professionals.

Bernie · Married on 03/25/2017

We worked with Steve from Honored Occasions for our wedding in March. We were planning our wedding from Northern California and he was extremely easy to work with. During our initial meeting he really listened to our random requests, and was very communicative and flexible with changes that were made prior to the day.
    Steve was one of the best DJ's we've heard at any wedding we've been to. EVERYONE was on the dance floor! It was so nice to see everyone having a good time and we know that he had brought the energy to our group. We would recommend him to anyone planning an event!

Amy · Married on 02/11/2017

Steve and his team were absolutely amazing! He was very helpful throughout the entire planning process. His communication was excellent. Best of all, he did a phenomenal job at the wedding and really made it a party!

Roxanne · Married on 02/04/2017

Thanks to Steve our daughter's wedding reception turned out wonderful. Everyone was dancing!!! Our guests kept telling us how much fun they were having and it was one of the best weddings they had been to. Steve's expertise and experience made everything seamless and stress free. Thank you again…you were great!!!

Diana · Married on 09/30/2016

Honored Occasions provided several services for my daughter's wedding, including lighting, photo booth, and DJ/ music. Steve and Bree delivered professionalism, ambience, class and FUN, ensuring that the desired "vibe" and "flow" met and exceeded our expectations. Our guests had a fantastic time, the dance floor was filled all night, the special moments were highlighted beautifully, and there was never a lull in the festivities. The conversations with the bride and groom beforehand provided an opportunity to communicate their vision, and Honored Occasions honored their requests and delivered perfectly. Steve's suggestions reflected experience and creativity, creating an overall exceptional experience for all.

Rob · Married on 09/25/2016

Ryan was our DJ and we couldn't be happier! From our first meeting, I knew that he was our guy! He was incredibly professional, friendly, and totally accommodating. The planning process was totally stress free and they were very flexible. He made sure to check on us on occasion throughout the night to make sure we were taken care of. He was a great MC and DJ! I had attended two wedding prior to ours and at each one, I thought to myself, "Our DJ/MC is MUCH better." We highly recommend Honored Occasions for all your DJ and MC needs!

Tracy · Married on 09/10/2016

We are so happy to have hired Honored Occasions to be our DJ/Emcee and lighting for our wedding at Terranea. Steve, our DJ, made the night run smoothly and kept the energy up. During all the planning leading up to the big day, Steve was very helpful in picking songs, responded promptly, provided amazing input, and made us feel at ease. He worked very well with our wedding planner to ensure everything ran flawlessly and was able to read the crowd as the night went on. We couldn't be any happier with our choice in hiring Steve.

Sandy · Married on 08/27/2016

Steve was the DJ for our wedding, and he was an absolute pleasure to work with. He’s always responsive throughout the planning process and he gave us so many great suggestions in picking songs. His music choices during the reception were also fantastic. Everyone had a great time at the wedding. Our friends actually danced non-stop throughout the night and the dance floor was constantly full!

Honored Occasions also provided lighting and photobooth for us, and everything went smoothly. We’re really glad we had Steve at our wedding!

Hank · Married on 08/20/2016

This is one of the easiest reviews I’ve ever written (if you want to skip the details, just go ahead and hire Ryan Moore from Honored Occasions, he’s fantastic).

We live in Texas, have never been married before, and we needed a DJ to perform our wedding in Laguna Beach. With everything else going on, the last thing we wanted to be nervous about was the music.

We hired Ryan and he took care of everything we asked of him. I was very specific on what music we wanted—and didn’t want—and he was loyal to our requests. Even when some of our guests begged and pleaded to play songs we hate, Ryan was the most diplomatic DJ I’ve ever encountered, denying their requests in a way that made them smile (which made us smile).

On top of arranging, mixing, and providing the music, Ryan was also there to guide us through the evening (again, it was our first time and in the moment it can be easy to forget what’s coming next). Ryan made everything smooth. We could relax knowing he would take care of everything in a way that exceeded our expectations. We could enjoy the happiest day of our lives because we made the decision to hire a true professional.

I am a picky, stubborn perfectionist who is very difficult to please. Ryan never disappointed, he gave us a perfect night and made it seem effortless. Do yourself a favor. Stop looking for a DJ. Hire Ryan. Thank me later.

Liz · Married on 08/20/2016

Steve is absolutely amazing! My husband and I could not have asked for a more perfect DJ for our wedding or for better reception lighting. Steve was incredibly professional and outgoing from the moment we first met him, so we knew he would be the perfect fit for our big day. Steve played the perfect blend of music for the dinner hour and transitioned smoothly into our dancing celebration. I received so many compliments from guests about our music selection and how the variety brought together both our older and younger guests. I wish we could take credit for it, but it was 100% because of Steve's expertise. We also really appreciated Steve's personal calls and felt like we were all on the same page from square one, which made planning so much less stressful. Steve was so personable and the wedding would not have been the same without him as our DJ. I cannot say thank you enough to Steve for making our wedding celebration so perfect!

John · Married on 04/09/2016

Steve was amazing to work with throughout the entire process. He used our song selections to create a playlist for the evening that was uniquely us and exactly what we wanted for our wedding night! The dance floor did not stop once it got going!! And as a bonus - he did beautiful lighting for the dance floor and provided a photo booth which our guests thoroughly enjoyed!