Hill Country DJ Reviews

Hill Country DJ 1
Hill Country DJ 2
Hill Country DJ 3

Eden · Married on 10/03/2015

We used DJ Mitch through Hill Country DJ for our wedding. He was simple to work with and did a great job. He really got what we wanted to play and mixed it in to the evening well. Even during dinner he managed to mix our request that varied from Jason Mraz to Bob Marley in a beautiful way that portrayed who we are as a couple. Thanks tons!

Sent on 10/14/2015

Emma · Married on 11/04/2017

3.0

Mitch from Hill Country DJ was wonderful! He created a playlist that kept everyone on the dance floor the entire evening. I have had multiple family members and friends reach out to say how awesome the music was. I highly recommend Mitch!

Sent on 12/26/2017

3.5

We hired DJ Floyd for our wedding ceremony and reception, and couldn’t have been happier with his performance that night. He mixed in all of the songs we requested, was a total pro at introducing the wedding party and doing miscellaneous “emcee” parts throughout the night, and did an AWESOME job getting people on the dance floor in a non-pushy way. He knew the appropriate song mix and energy level to get parents and older folks on the dance floor at the beginning of the night, and kept the dance beats strong throughout the night. Even with a relatively small guest count of 75, we were really happy with the amount of people on the dance floor all night.

The only frustration with DJ Floyd came during the planning stages of the wedding. Most of the time he was great - met us at a convenient coffee shop for our consultation, had some nice forms and online portal to select songs, etc. However, there were a few times that emails went unanswered, and one meeting that was a last-minute postponement.

We highly recommend DJ Floyd to anyone!

Sent on 11/22/2015

Jennifer · Married on 11/05/2016

3.5

Nick was an awesome DJ! We enjoyed our meeting with him and he did a wonderful job of both serving as MC throughout the night to keep things moving, working with our other vendors, making our requests happen and keeping people dancing! Hill Country DJ was responsive and helped answer our questions throughout the process as well. We recommend them highly!

Sent on 12/11/2016

4.2
      3.0

We had DJ Nick for our wedding ceremony and reception. First of all, I was very happy that DJ Nick was flexible on time. We moved the time of the ceremony up by 30 mins and that was no problem for him. I was also happy that he suggested having a FaceTime session a couple of weeks prior to go over details and make sure we were on the same page.
    For ceremony music, I was a bit disappointed - we had one song picked out for the bridal party to walk down the aisle and then a separate song for me, the bride, to walk down the aisle. He started playing my song as the flower girl walked down, then realized his mistake and switched back to the bridal party song and then switched again moments later when I really did start walking down the aisle. It sounded very messy.
    My other complaint was that he was constantly checking in with me about whether I was ready for the first dance, cake cutting, flower toss, practically everything he announced he checked in with me first. I very much appreciated him keeping us on schedule by doing the announcements, but i had sent him a timeline for everything and I would have much rather him just stick to the timeline as closely as he could, make the announcements accordingly, and let me enjoy the night. Instead I felt like I was talking to him more than most of my guests.
    DJ Nick was very nice and easy to get ahold of by email. However, if you want to enjoy your night, I suggest you establish beforehand that you don't want to have him constantly checking in for everything.

Sent on 04/27/2016

Janese · Married on 08/06/2016

2.5

We used DJ Marco for our wedding. He was extremely nice and professional however, we felt the sound quality was off for the wedding ceremony. Our pastor got a little disrupted due to the audio feed making a high pitch noise. Cocktail hour was great.
    Dinner we had to ask him to turn down the music. We were across the dance floor from him and we were having to yell so I can only imagine it was way too loud for our guests sitting in the tables close to the dj booth.
    He also didn't play a song that I specifically requested (my parents song) so they could dance.
    The music was upbeat and very fun. Being able to pick out songs online and "x" out ones we didn't like was nice.
    Another negative - no one could understand anything he said over the mic during the reception. When we were trying to do the garter and bouquet toss, we had to actually go tell people we were doing it bc no one understood what he said.

Our get away vehicle ended up being late so DJ Marco kept the music going to keep everyone entertained which we REALLY appreciated!

Sent on 10/29/2016

Madeline · Married on 10/13/2017

3.6
      3.5

Working with Hill Country DJ was overall a 3.5 in experience. I selected them as they were listed as a preferred vendor on my venue's website. I liked their website and the flexibility to select the songs and rate them as "like", "love" and "hate." I ended up printing out a Do Not Play list for my guests so they did not harass the DJ.
    I had a certain song I wanted played when I walked down the aisle and Mitch did that perfectly. My husband also had a certain version of song he wanted when he entered with his groomsmen and Mitch did that as well.
    My critique would be that a couple of the songs I requested to play that were not downloaded to his playlist. The last dance song with my husband being the main disappointment-as he had not downloaded what I had confirmed by phone, email and on their website with him.
    I had also asked that our first dance be cut off a certain time, being that it has a long instrumental part in the middle. He did not cut it off when had discussed (phone, email and website), and despite constant attempts to make eye contact, Mitch missed my gestures.
    Mitch had our fraternity and sorority songs, our themed dance song, and played the requested music during cocktail hour. The cocktail hour music was perfect .There were a couple songs I had wanted to hear during the dancing that were not played, though specifically requested, but the music selection that was played was perfect for the crowd.

Sent on 11/08/2017

Laura · Married on 10/08/2017

3.2
      3.5

My husband wanted a DJ, so we requested Floyd but they gave us Mitch instead. It wasn't horrible, but it could have been way better. I really liked the software that the company uses, but communication was an issue. The DJ was difficult to get a hold of and awkward in person. Frankly, we weren't sure that he was going to show up. At least one friend tried to make a song request and was unhappy with how he interpreted it, and my parents said he simply disappeared at the end of the night. He also opened the door to the bridal suite a couple of times, looked around, and then left without speaking? The ceremony went off without a hitch, but not many people were inspired to dance during the reception. I don't like leaving negative reviews, but our experience wasn't representative of 99% of the reviews left for this company and for the DJ himself. Ultimately, we would have had a better experience if we had used our own music and not spent $1000 on this DJ.

Sent on 10/15/2017

Hill Country DJ's reply:

Hi Laura,
    Congratulations on your marriage, and thank you for selecting us for your wedding! We sent you a follow-up email, but we're not sure you received it. We'd like to respond to a few points made in your review:

1. You mentioned requesting Floyd, but we have no email record of this. Floyd was already booked when you inquired, so we sent you a quote for Mitch. We've never booked a certain DJ with a client and then sent someone else instead. With us, the DJ you select is the one you receive, barring emergency circumstances.

2. Our DJs are instructed to break down and pack up as quickly as possible at the end of the night so that the client isn't penalized by the venue for staying late.

3. Since there wasn't a wedding coordinator involved, Mitch was concerned about the ceremony starting late, hence his "checking in". He didn't want to bother anyone in the sometimes stressful moments before the ceremony, but wanted to make sure everything was running on time.

4. Mitch is one of our most-beloved and requested DJs, primarily for his friendly interaction with clients. We're sorry that you felt otherwise and had an experience that doesn't align with 99% of his other reviews on this site, as you mentioned. If you'd like to reply to our follow-up email or otherwise speak, we're always available.

Thank you again, and the best of luck in your future together!