13 Reviews for Gem Theatre

Parking (1)
Valet (1)
Wheelchair Access (1)
13 Gem Theatre Reviews

Amazing experience. Both Lauren and Molly did a great job coordinating and setting up our venue. They were extremely helpful. It was exactly what I pictured for our 1920s Art Deco theme!

Profile Picture Meghan, 7/30/16, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The advice that I would give to a couple looking at The Gem Theatre would be definitely do it. They did everything. It was very stress free. They check on every detail and make sure that you are their main priority. Initially, I thought the minimum was far too expensive but it was all worth it. Had we gone through separate vendors, there would have been way more stress and more expensive. The food was absolutely amazing and the drink selection was immaculate.

Profile Picture Amanda, 5/14/16, 3 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location
Services Used: Indoor, Uncovered Outdoor, Barware, Flatware, Glassware, Linens, Bartender(s), Champagne Toast, House Beer, House Liquor, House Wine, Liquor License, Open Bar, Bridal Suite, Clean Up, Event Planning, Lighting/Sound, Set Up, Outside Cake, Parking, Valet, Wheelchair Access

The Gem was the first and only venue that my husband and I went to look at in person. We knew we wanted to get married downtown and we knew as soon as we walked in that The Gem was the perfect place to have our wedding. From the beginning the responsiveness of the team at The Gem showed us that they knew what they were doing and that they were happy to be a part of our special day. It was very obvious that this is what they do and they do it best.

The venue itself is stunning and since we were married in December there were some decorations up that complimented our own perfectly. We got married in the upper “Century Theatre” level and then moved our guests to the main floor “Century Grill” for a cocktail hour before going all the way downstairs for dinner. Afterwards we had an 8-piece band that perfectly filled The Gem Theatre space and our guests could move freely about the building at their leisure.

The food was delicious, our guests still talk about it when we see them, and the staff was impeccable. I have to say that Melissa, our event manager for the day, was an absolute dream to work with. She was on top of everything and I cannot even begin to thank her for everything she did to make our day so special. I do not have one complaint or thing I would have changed about our wedding, it was truly perfect and most of that has to do with our choice to have our Wedding at The Gem theatre. I highly recommend this venue!

Profile Picture Lauren, 12/19/15, 2 Reviews
Services Used: Chairs, Indoor

We selected the Gem Theatre for our New Year's Eve Wedding. We were looking for a unique venue where we could host both our ceremony and reception. We were extremely pleased with the Gem on our wedding day and throughout the entire planning process. As the bride, I emailed our event coordinator about 100 times, and she was always helpful and quick to respond.

We tried to set up our decorations the day before the wedding, but we were not able to finish everything. Our event manager (Judy) helped our wedding planner set everything up the day of the wedding, and it was all gorgeous. She went above and beyond to make sure everything was as we imagined it.

After our wedding, we got continuous feedback from our guests on how beautiful the wedding was and how delicious the food was. Overall, I could not have been more pleased with the venue we selected for our wedding.

Profile Picture Caitlyn, 12/31/13, 4 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Thanks to everyone at the Gem who helped make our wedding night spectacular! The staff is so accomodating and helpful.Our guests, as well as we, had an amazing night. The food was delicious. I'm still receiving compliments on it. Everything went smoothly and I cannot thank everyone enough.My husband and I appreciate all the work that went into making our night a memorable one.

Profile Picture kendra, 5/4/13, 6 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We absolutely loved having our wedding reception at this venue. It's now 3 months after our wedding date and we're STILL getting compliments on the food and the atmosphere....Did I mention the FOOD was amazing? The price was competitive for the area but we feel that along with that price, the Gem offered an outstanding value. The historic building, the GORGEOUS patio for cocktail hour, complimentary attached parking in a covered garage, and the Hilton Garden Inn is just steps away. How CAN you go wrong?? We also liked that they offered multiple packages --you can rent the whole theatre or just the downstairs banquet room, depending on your budget.

Profile Picture Myra, 10/8/11, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We were blown away with the service at The Gem Theatre and the experience. The staff was accommodating and set everything up perfectly. The entire evening they had staff members checking with us as the bride and groom and our VIP guests to make sure we were taken care of. The food and drinks were excellent and were complimented by all. I would recommend The Gem to any couple looking for a unique Detroit experience!

Profile Picture Anna, 9/3/17, 1 Review
4.7

We were thrilled with every aspect of our work with the Gem for our reception. They did a fantastic job of both the planning and the execution of the wedding. We were out of town, so most of our planning was done via email and phone, and they handled that quite well. They went beyond even what was in their contract and set up a lot of things for us the morning of the wedding, were able to make us feel very much at ease, and every staff member was really enjoyable to work with. All of our guests were impressed both with the space and with the execution of the event itself and that was, in large part, due to the work of the Gem staff.

Profile Picture Timothy, 10/3/15, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Stunning backdrop for any special occasion. Accommodating staff. DELICIOUS food!

Profile Picture User3469310, 2+ years ago, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

This venue offers a unique setting for a wedding ceremony & reception. When we began our search for a wedding venue, we had very specific criteria in mind, however, the most important element was that it couldn't be your run-of-the-mill "Wedding Hall". We wanted something unique, romantic and intimate. The Gem offered all that and more. They were very accommodating in helping us make our wedding the unique experience that we envisioned. Any time that I needed to visit the Gem to try out different linen colors, test run centerpieces, or to simply show my family the venue = they made it happen. It was very much an open door policy.

My only concern was with the service at the reception - I don't feel that they have a high quality service staff - we had a few tables that didn't get served dinner was almost over - a huge oversight on their part and wasn't fixed until our guests brought it to MY attention - and I had to get the servers attention to fix it. That was unacceptable in my opinion. My mother was one of those people who didn't get served until last and her meal was horrible. Cold, undercooked and basically thrown together at the last minute.

I have worked in the food service industry for many years, through college and beyond, and I know how things can go wrong behind the scenes - but a good kitchen and service staff can make it right without the guests ever knowing it. The Gem management team desperately needs to work with their staff to improve on that aspect of service.

Other than that, the overall experience was great - all of our guests really enjoyed the outdoor patio for both the cocktail hour and the reception. The value was good - you get a premium bar with your wedding package price and their dinner menu selections are very broad. We received huge compliments from our family and friends on our wedding at the Gem and we would recommend it to anyone who was considering it for their own wedding - especially if they are looking to do the ceremony and reception all together in one place.

Kudos to the GEM Management team - you all helped make our wedding a huge success!!

Profile Picture Tina, 10/16/10, 6 Reviews
3.4

I have mixed feelings about working with the Gem Theatre because my experience at the event was very different than my experience working with them beforehand. The event itself turned out absolutely beautiful, couldn't have asked for anything more. The service was truly excellent. It is a gorgeous, unique, fun venue. Most of my family came in from out of town and I got the impression that they weren't initially very excited about coming to downtown Detroit, but were impressed with the theatre and ended up having a great time. The service beforehand left much to be desired. Reps were difficult to get a hold of and were not very friendly. After having discussed how we wanted something (ie location of head table, order of events etc.), they would change it to the way they wanted it because they thought it would be better that way. We were persistent and on the night of the event, all but one thing (they brought out our late night food much earlier than requested) was prepared the way we had asked. Overall I think dealing with the difficulty of the sales staff was worth it because I truly loved the event itself. If I were rating just the event it'd probably be all 5 stars. But the communication beforehand is reflected in the above review. It is a little pricey, but I think worth it.

Profile Picture Kari, 8/1/09, 4 Reviews
1.0

Was really excited about using this venue for a Friday lady's sangeet. Although we couldn't do outside catering the assured us that they have done indian weddings before and could do indian food in house. She even went as far to say we could use our own recipes (which seemed odd). After inquiring for pricing information her manager replied with "If authentic Indian cuisine is important to you and your group, our venue may not be the best fit." I wasted multiple days comparing venues, estimate pricing, and pros and cons only to be told I was lied to the entire time. I would have saved tons of time and looked for other options if they would have been upfront and honest.

Profile Picture Christine, 7/29/17, 2 Reviews