Family DJ Reviews

19 | Bristow, VA

19 Reviews for Family DJ

Collin · Married on 06/16/2018

Carl was phenomenal! He was very polite and professional. We provided him with a list of specific songs for the ceremony and first dances, and a list of songs that we would like to hear for the dance floor. He was able to take a wide scope of music (hip hop, pop, country, & classic) and make it flow flawlessly. We received a lot of compliments on our choice of DJ for our wedding. His presentation was wonderful and we highly recommend him to others for parties, weddings, and other special events.

Mike · Married on 10/21/2017

Behind the scenes, Carl is calm, collected and responsive. At the event, Carl is sharp, professional and classy. Extraordinary value and extremely accommodating. Carl even handled a few last-minute changes-of-plan with ease. Highly recommended for other weddings and I would book him again for other events.

Vida · Married on 04/20/2013

My husband and I are so happy with our choice of Family DJ for our wedding! Carl is so professional and friendly, and was really helpful in answering all of my many questions during the months leading up to the wedding!! While we wanted music that was clean for all family members, my husband and I were worried that Family DJ wouldn't provide regular 'top 40' hits that we love to dance to. We were so wrong! Family DJ had every song we requested and played tons of hits that our friends love, as well as classic wedding and dance reception songs. Our parents (along with us) loved that the music was clean and our dance floor was packed the whole wedding - seriously packed!! Carl also was very helpful in keeping us on schedule for the day, reminding us when we were approaching our scheduled cake cutting time, toast time, etc. Family DJ really is a great value and we loved supporting a local DJ who shares our values. Thanks, Carl!!!

Amanda · Married on 10/06/2012

My husband and I would HIGHLY recommend Family DJ and Carl Bohman for weddings. He was professional, responsive, and played great music all night. He was accommodating with requests and helped emcee our event often times keeping us on track with next steps for the evening. We would very much recommend him for DJ services.

Sam · Married on 09/28/2012

A fantastic, professional DJ and MC! We 100% recommend Family DJ for your wedding or event. We were very fortunate to have Carl as the DJ for our wedding ceremony and reception at the Lightfoot Restaurant in Leesburg, Va on Sept. 28th,2012. Carl is a GREAT DJ and MC. He was very well prepared and had the instrumental versions of songs we needed to support several soloist singers. His timing was absolutely flawless and queued the music precisely. My sister who has worked as a wedding planner in the past commented on the high quality of Carl’s equipment, how good the sound was, and how professional he was as an MC. He was absolutely perfect. During the reception, Carl was the perfect MC as he worked through the program we gave to him with great timing and delivery. Leading up to the wedding Carl was so easy to work with. He is very personable and will accommodate whatever specific demands you have. For us, we had very specific requests for the ceremony and reception (e.g. soloist singers, microphones, etc). Carl played great music that fit each part of the wedding including mellow background music before the ceremony, good background music during dinner, and fun dance music that put everyone on the floor after dinner. Carl knew exactly what to do and when to do it. My sister is getting married next year and everyone has already requested for her to select Family DJ ! Family DJ is a top of the line DJ and MC talent, his equipment is top of the line, he is a pleasure to work with, and his prices are very reasonable. Outside of the amazing quality and incredible value, I think the best thing I can say is that every single person said they had such a great time at our wedding and there is no doubt that Carl played a very integral part in setting the atmosphere for an amazing wedding.

thanks for everything! :)

--Sam and Grace

We were incredibly well pleased with our DJ, Carl. He was BETTER than we could have ever asked for. We danced for almost five hours straight. There were ALWAYS guests on the dance floor. I broke my toe before the wedding, and danced anyways. He made the atmosphere SO much fun!!!!

Thanks so much Carl,

--Kris and Casey

Sarah · Married on 04/13/2012

Carl is amazing! He did an incredible job DJing our wedding this past April 13, 2012. He was extremely professional, and his prices are awesome (GREAT value!). He was the perfect DJ at our wedding - great speaker, played a fabulous selection of music (and he let us submit a playlist, too!), and the dance floor lighting was just awesome! Highly recommend! Thanks, Carl!

Rachael · Married on 12/30/2011

I am so happy I went with Family DJ for my wedding reception. He respected all of my requests (such as the "play" and "do not play" lists), and he accommodated last-minute schedule changes very well. Everyone enjoyed listening to the music he played during dinner, and as soon as he started the dance music, the dance floor was crowded. He did a great job of playing music that appealed to all ages--kids, teenagers, and young and older adults were all dancing at the same time and having a lot of fun. Family DJ is a great value, but most importantly he's a great DJ.

Judith · Married on 12/30/2011

Family DJ is perfect for a multi-generational family wedding! We had ages one-year-old baby to 85-year-old grandparents, with a lot of young adults in-between -- and Carl provided music that kept everyone happy and moving (plus, he's debonair and charming) -- thank you for perfect wedding reception music!
    Judith Graham, mom of the bride

Randal · Married on 12/21/2011

Excellent DJ. Great sound and light system. Great interaction with bride, groom, and planners. Great music variety from fun fast-paced dance music to romantic and meaningful ballads and love songs. Fun and appropriate music for all ages from toddlers to grandparents. Very professional. Great value.

Jody · Married on 12/09/2011

We couldn't have asked for a better DJ for our Elementary School Dance. He knows what the kids like and what the parents want. Everybody had a good time no matter how young or old!

Thanks!!!!

Justin · Married on 11/19/2011

Carl is an excellent DJ and very easy to work with. He helped to set a relaxed and fun mood for our wedding reception. At my request, he even came out on to the dance floor and provided some dance instruction on Cotton Eyed Joe. Not many DJs I know would do that. Carl was also able to be flexible through some confusion about timing of specific dances (not caused by Carl). Overall, Carl did a fantastic job and we highly recommend him!

Sent on 12/15/2011

Family DJ's reply:

Thanks, Justin. Your wedding and reception were wonderful. I was glad to be a part of that. Good luck to you and Carrie!

Tri · Married on 04/17/2010

The DJ for my wedding was great. He had time to meet us beforehand and discuss the types of music we wanted and he even made a lot of suggestions because we didn't really know about what kind of music we should include in our wedding. He definitely showed us a wealth of his musical knowledge. The music that he helped pick out was enjoyed by everyone at the event. Not even one complaint, which is pretty special since most of the family and guests are asian and tend to nick pick on everything and anything.

• I

Iris · Married on 06/01/2013

Carl did a great job DJ'ing our wedding reception. Many of the guests commented on his professionalism, and he kept folks dancing the entire evening. He was flexible and laid-back in helping with the selection of music for a some aspects of the reception when my husband and I did not have specific ideas/requests. He was helpful and friendly during the set-up and worked well with our day-of-coordinator to make sure the evening went smoothly. Thanks, Carl!

• Brittney

Brittney · Married on 04/29/2017

Carl was great! He came early to set up, had a set up outside for our ceremony and got set up quickly in the reception hall. He played all the songs I requested and all the ones my friends and family requested. He was friendly and polite. Overall he was a great DJ. Definitely worth the money! :)

All of my guests, from my friends in their twenties to my parents and grandparents, loved Carl Bohman of Family DJ! Friends said they liked him because he kept the party alive and kept people dancing throughout the reception, without making tacky or cheesy announcements or comments. He kept it professional and just played good music!

He was sometimes difficult to reach via email, but the communication problem was made up for by his doing a great job and being a great value. He had all his own equipment and required nothing from my venue, dressed professionally and had good intuition of what to play to make people happy. He knew just what to play, which took lots of pressure off of me!

• User2065951 · 2+ years ago

1.0

My only complaint is the lack of communication in response to emails leading up to the wedding. This did cause some unnecessary stress. I personally prefer email communication so I can reference back (especially when planning such a big event) and perhaps Family DJ would have been more receptive to phone calls. That aside, the dance floor was PACKED the entire night! Family DJ played all of our requested songs and was a great MC. Everyone loved the music and didn't want to stop dancing! The uplighting and disco ball created a fun atmosphere! A good DJ was important to us and Family DJ really made the wedding a blast!

Sent on 10/16/2012

Family DJ's reply:

Thank you for your honest review. I appreciate all feedback. It was a pleasure serving as DJ and MC for your wedding and reception and I am glad to hear that everyone had a great time and that the lighting options worked out so well for you. I sincerely apologize for adding any stress to your big day and am actively reviewing my records and procedures to avoid any similar concerns in the future. Congratulations once again on a beautiful wedding and a wonderful reception!

3.0

The initial call was fantastic. Got back to me in less than 24hrs! Family DJ offered what I was looking for at the right price. I was stoked to book them.

Then it got closer to the event date and I could not get a reply from Carl via email. I then had to call him a few times to finally get him on the phone to finalize details, just check in to make sure all was still on track.

I then sent a follow-up email after that call asking in the email for him to reply letting me know he received the email as it included the list of songs for the night. He never replied.

I was fingers crossed the night of hoping he was going to show. He did...and early....with lots of apologies for not responding. Did not matter how many apologies, unless he performed well above expectations, I was not adding him to my list of vendors to consider in the future.

And he did not make that list...yes, music was played. But did Carl take some time before the event to think through, plan out how he was going to get the energy up, keep it up, bring it down some throughout the night and how he would end the night. I did not expect a Club style DJ--no need for a hype man or remixes, but feeling like there was some focus put on what was going to play and when would have made the night so much better!

I get that life happens, but your clients should not suffer...I would have liked for him to have cancelled the contract with me if he could not fully commit and let me go find a DJ that was interested in actually deejaying!