Earl Burns Miller Japanese Garden Reviews

26 | Long Beach, CA

26 Reviews for Earl Burns Miller Japanese Garden

Diana · Married on 09/03/2017

My husband and I chose the Earl Burns Miller Japanese Garden as our final venue for our wedding ceremony after looking at least 5 other venues. The Japanese garden is so beautiful and serene complete with ducks and koi fish; all of my guests complimented how gorgeous it is and thought that we paid a fortune for booking this venue when really the pricing is very reasonable. Janette is the director of the garden and her staff were super helpful on the day of our wedding and did an excellent job with calming my nerves down and coordinating the event as well as working well with my vendors. Even though it rained on the day of my wedding, our wedding pictures were so beautiful and I love how it captured the beauty of the garden. I highly recommend every future couple who loves nature and scenery to get married here.

Sent on 11/02/2017

Earl Burns Miller Japanese Garden's reply:

Hello Diana,

Thank you for your review! We love feedback, and we're very happy that you had an amazing experience at the garden. Congratulations once again on your marriage! We wish you the best in life!

Best,

JG Coordinators
  • Bijoux

Angelika · Married on 06/14/2014

The staff we dealt with at the Earl Burns Japanese Garden were both super friendly and professional. If we ever had any questions they were answered very quickly.

As we live in Ireland it made it quite hard for us to organise and plan our day however they made our day so much easier and pain free.

For any couples looking for a venue which can cater for both large and small weddings (ours being 15 people total) with a very unique feel, the Earl Burns Japanese Garden is a perfect fit.

Sent on 06/24/2014
  • diane

diane · Married on 09/15/2012

Words cannot describe how wonderful our wedding turned out at the the Japanese Gardens. Everything came out fabulous! The Japanese Gardens is a beautiful venue, with its lush landscaping, pretty waterfall, spectacular koi pond - a fairytale place for a wedding. And the staff at the JG is stellar too - everyone was so nice, professional and helpful. Whenever I had a question, they were quick to respond, always got back to my emails right away. On the day of our wedding, I didn't have to worry about a thing - they took care of everything, and it was so well gone. All of our guests were so impressed with the JG, everyone has told us how beautiful our wedding was. For everything that was included in our wedding, the JG is definitely worth 10 times the value. Thank you to everyone at the Earl Burns Miller Japanese Gardens - you made my wedding perfect.

Sent on 10/26/2012

Jose · Married on 05/03/2010

This was the only choice I ever would consider for our reception.They worked so hard to make sure our wedding day was better than we could have imagined.There is an amazing outdoor area for the ceremony. They did an amazing job making sure that anything and everything we could need was taken care.

Sent on 06/16/2010

Nancy · Married on 10/03/2009

This place is BEAUTIFUL. No questions about it. Everyone loved the place and once there everything is peaceful. The staff was very nice and explained everything. The only thing that I was not too thrilled with was the fact that the garden is schedule back to back. My vendors only had 30 minutes to set up. When I got there there was another wedding going on and after my wedding there was another wedding schedule so we had to hurry out of the garden as fast as possible

Sent on 10/22/2009

Jeanne · Married on 05/15/2010

Pro's-
    The venue is beautiful & made for awesome pictures!
    The staff is super helpful.
    Price is reasonable- there aren't many excess fees.
    You're walking on the other side of the koi pond so if you're shy/nervous in front of people, you feel less pressure! (This could also be a con, I suppose.)
    They put out umbrellas to help shield the sun.

Con's-
    As a previous poster said, back to back weddings make you feel rushed.
    My officiant's microphone was not correctly positioned so it was hard to hear us.

Sent on 06/02/2010

carl · Married on 11/08/2008

We had our wedding here, and this place by far was one of the nicest place I've ever seen. If you live around here, pick this place. I love it so much, and prices are good.

Sent on 06/14/2010

Amy · Married on 05/25/2008

This was the most beautiful location to have a wedding. The gardens not only were meticulous, but the staff was very friendly and helpful. I had a huge list of items I wanted placed for my event, and the Gardesn took care of everything perfectly. I didn't have a single worry and everyone talked about how lovely and memorable my wedding was.

Sent on 06/16/2008

Cathy · Married on 04/15/2012

Earl Burns Miller Japanese Garden is a very pretty place to have a wedding there. It is outdoor only so you are kind of at the mercy of the weather. But it is California, so not much problems there. Its wedding hour is pretty restrictive because of public hour. Initially I was going to have my rehearsal on Friday 4/13/12, but we had thunderstorm. My coordinator Judith was nice enough to postpone it to Saturday. (My wedding was on Sunday). Overall the coordinator is very professional and friendly. We kept changed the order of the procession and she did not have any problems with it. She is very patient. We were late for almost 1 and half hour for our first meeting due to the terrible LA traffic. Judith waited for us and when we met she still had a big smile on her face. Thanks, Judith. The garden is not large enough to hold a wedding with more than 230 guests though. But if you have a small wedding, then this is a perfect place. When I interviewed many photographers, every photogapher says it is a very pretty place.

Sent on 04/27/2012

Dennis · Married on 08/20/2011

3.5

The instructions say I'm supposed to provide comments and feedback for future brides, but I'm a groom. Sorry ladies, this ones from a guys point of view.

Grooms and brides, you can't bring your own kegs (which I understand why, but it still sucks) and they don't allow hard alcohol. Your choice in caterers is also very limited with only 2 different caterers and are both a little pricey...but I will admit worth the money. Other than that, the upfront consultations were more of a timeline breakdown and you go over what you're going to do at your wedding (you better have ideas upfront). We were given an hour with out "consultant" who really didn't offer many suggestions, but with the help of our DJ we were able to muddle through the details.

However, our coordinator for the rehearsal dinner and wedding day was AWESOME! She made sure everyone was on cue and on time. Also, the venue is absolutely breath taking (yes, this is still the groom talking), I was completely blown away by how beautiful everything looked and our wedding day coordinator was on it!

I would have loved to give them 5 stars on everything, but the initial consultations didn't really help us any and honestly at one of them I walked away more confused than focused. Also, their lack of flexibility does hurt them a bit because I couldn't have my Biergarten and aside from there list of approved vendors for catering, you don't really get to choose. The beauty of the location, the responsiveness of the staff, and the quality of staff make up for it. We had an awesome wedding and all of our guests were blown away.

Sent on 11/01/2011

Jennifer · Married on 05/29/2010

An amazing place to get married. It was beautiful and I couldn't have asked for a better venue. The only downside was that you had to use the catering, Choura. The food was only okay but if you're not too concerned than I recommend the Japanese Gardens. Amazing.

Sent on 06/06/2010

Kellie · Married on 07/25/2009

3.5

Beautiful venue that allows for pond side ceremony and dinning out under the stars. A magical venue that accommodated all of my handmade decorations. One stop shopping for catering and wedding planner. It's student run, but I couldn't tell per the level of professionalism that I received. I couldn't have been more happy. My only complaint was I wish the gardens were available for a longer period of time. They have strict closing times and I wish the fun could have continued for a few more hours.

Sent on 04/04/2012

Jessica · Married on 11/09/2018

Lily is the best!

First I want to start off by saying the Garden is absolutely breath taking. It was exactly what we were looking for. The coordinators are amazing and go above and beyond. When we booked the wedding we defaulted to Elizabeth (the director (she is no longer the director)) a lot she was amazing and really helpful. We had Lily as our day of coordinator I can't begin to explain how amazing she was. Lily really went above and beyond. I didn't feel like a client to her, I felt like we were friends and had been for years. All of the Staff was amazing!

There was a mishap where bamboo broke and one of the staff was hit in the head. this was before the ceremony, while we were taking photos. They fixed it right away no big deal. The part that bothered me was that the staff member wasn't taken to the er right away. He said he was ok but a head injury isn't something to fool around with.

My only issue was with Jeanette who is the current director. Some of my wedding party told me a few things after the wedding that didn't sit well with me. The first is that she scolded a member of my wedding party during the rehearsal telling him he better not wear sunglasses the day of the wedding, first off he was wearing his glasses not sun glasses but not only that its not her place to say that. She also kept confusing everyone during the rehearsal so much so that on the day of the wedding the boys didn't know what to do. We had paid for our Officiant to be at the rehearsal so I had felt that Jeanette should have taken a back seat. She contradicted everything our Officiant said. I had been told way before the wedding or rehearsal that I could have one car parked by the back entrance of the garden, At the rehearsal Jeanette told me no. I was also told that Jeanette wasn't allowing the caterer to setup in a timely fashion that would have allowed us to move things along faster, as we were ahead of schedule.

With all that said the wedding was beautiful. It was a dream. If you get married at the garden make sure you get Lily she rocks!

Sent on 12/28/2018

Jennifer · Married on 03/14/2010

I loved the garden. I recently had my ceremony here and it was perfect, everything was so beautiful and all my guests were amazed. Aside from the occasional low flying plane, at which time the staff was able to turn up the speaker volume so nothing was disrupted, it was a prefect venue. I will say I was a bit disappointed with the staff, I think it's a lot of college students working and some of them are not very responsive or professional. I had multiple appointments to drop off my deposit at their offices and when I would get there everyone would be gone. Luckily my "day of" coordinator was great. She kept us on schedule, in a nice way, and was very professional. I would highly recommend this venue for a ceremony.

Sent on 04/06/2010
  • Lovebirds in October

Esther · Married on 10/03/2009

My ceremony was beautiful there. We even had a dove ceremony as they inquired and suggested different visual elements to place in our ceremony. Everyone enjoyed it very much as it's an intimate place. Only thing is the guests are seated across the pond so they don't see a close up view of you however, they get a wonderful view of the entire ceremony and profile of the party versus the back of the bride and groom.

You have to take a trip and visit it....and if you love gardens and nature, and a quite intimate area away from the world, ...this is a great place.

Sent on 11/03/2009

4.2

I had my wedding here in September 2014. Earl Burns Miller is probably the most beautiful setting to have a wedding in all of California. If you want amazing wedding pictures, this garden is unmatched by others. The garden looks so serene with the beautiful bridge, waterfall, pond, koi fish, etc. It truly is a hidden gem. I really just have to re-emphasize that your pics will turn out amazing!

Now for the downsides, the the guests sit far back so they will have trouble seeing and hearing the actual ceremony. That was something I knew, but still thought the beauty of the garden was worth that one downside. The garden is also next to an airport so it gets pretty loud when the plane flies back maybe every 20-30 minutes. Luckily no planes flew during our ceremony, but its a risk you will have to take. Also if you hire a band, you will need to bring your own speaker equipment or else their music will not be heard at all.

Other than that, I have no regrets over picking the garden for my ceremony. We looked at every garden within a 30 mile radius from our house and Earl Burns was by far the most breathtaking. Other gardens do not hold a candle to this beauty.

Sent on 02/18/2015

Anne · Married on 06/25/2005

3.5

We booked the venue a year in advance, not because we had to, but because we loved it. It was beautiful and a little unconventional. They offer someone to help coordinate the event for you, but some times you're working with the full-time professional coordinator, other times a student employee. I was very concerned by the lack of communication as the even approached. In fact we showed up on the day of our consultation (both sets of parents in tow) and they rushed us through because they double booked!

So come three days before the ceremony, we were assigned to a student coordinator (Diane I believe), and she was WONDERFUL. Very detail oriented, and really put my fears to rest. The whole event went off without a hitch and was perfect. It was the best wedding I've ever been to (even though I am biased). We did not opt to have a dance floor as it would have been small and awkward, but rather our reception turned out like an elegant and magical dinner party. I would hight recommend this place, and you really can't get a better deal for the money! I also recommend buying the extra time for photos-- otherwise it will be very rushed!

Sent on 05/18/2008

Lisa · Married on 09/28/2008

4.2

The staff was wonderful. They really made my special day a beautiful one.

Sent on 08/04/2009

Kiersten · Married on 07/19/2008

3.5

The venue is at CSULB and it is beautiful. The student workers changed many times over the year and a half that I dealt with the garden, between booking and actual wedding day. Yet, everything still went off without a hitch. I strongly suggest using this venue and using their preferred vendors.

Sent on 11/16/2008

Ayuko · Married on 08/24/2007

3.6
      3.5

great venue for wedding and reception.

Sent on 10/14/2008

3.6
      3.5

This natural venue is absolutely gorgeous! The seating arrangements are non-traditional and provided an excellent view to our nuptials. Guests are arranged around a koi fish pound!! Bridal parties are lined on across a beautiful bridge. The staff was efficient and reliable. I would NOT recommend them for anyone else to use...only becasue I want this memory all to myself ;) Just kidding...they're exceptional. Please tell your freinds!

Sent on 10/17/2014

Mary · Married on 09/21/2013

3.4
      3.0

This venue was gorgeous!! We got so many compliments on the venue choice. The service had me scared though because the coordinators that day are students and the responses were were getting regarding rehearsals confirmations and day of details were not accurate. Everything worked out at the end and the pictures turned out beautiful!

Sent on 09/25/2013

Jen · Married on 10/10/2008

3.0

It was indeed a BEAUTIFUL location and I am so happy I had my wedding there. The problem is it is run mainly by students, and the students change with the semester of school. We had problems with people getting back to us, and losing our rehearsal time.

Also, our coordinator that we were eventually assigned, seemed a bit uninterested and rushed (especially at the rehearsal).

Overall, for the price I felt a little let down by the service.

Sent on 11/04/2008
  • CRIS

CHRISTINA · Married on 08/14/2010

2.8
      3.0

I LOVED THE GARDEN!BUT STAFF ON THE DAY OF MY WEDDING WASNT VERY ATTENTATIVE EXCEPT FOR OUR COORDINATOR...BUT OVERALL THE PLACE WAS BEAUTIFUL PERFECT FOR A WEDDING CEREMONY!

Sent on 08/31/2010