Don's Own Flower Shop Reviews

Don's Own Flower Shop 2
  • Sarah

Sarah · Married on 06/15/2019

Everything was gorgeous!!

Everything that came out of this flower shop was GORGEOUS!! Vicky was the kindest, sweetest woman and a joy to work with!!

Sent on 06/17/2019

Don's Own Flower Shop's reply:

Sarah, Thank you so much for the wonderful review! We appreciate your kind words. It was our pleasure designing your wedding flowers! Best of luck to the two of you!

Adrienne · Married on 09/07/2018

I simply can't recommend Vicky and her staff enough! Vicky spent so much time with us going over every detail for the big day! She turned into family by the Wedding Day! The floral arrangements she put together were breathtaking. I had countless comments on how gorgeous the flowers were. Vicky took the vision in my head and made it a reality. Couldn't be any happier with her work, she is an incredibly talented artist. She was even there to fluff my dress before I went down the aisle. There is simply NOBODY better!

Sent on 09/11/2018
    Don's Own Flower Shop 3
    Don's Own Flower Shop 4

Don's Own Flower Shop's reply:

Adrianne, Thank you so much. It was my pleasure designing the flowers for your wedding. I'm so happy I captured your vision!!! Best wishes to both of you.
    Vicky

Jackie · Married on 06/23/2017

I chose Don's own for my flowers since they were highly recommended. I now know why. I met with Vicky to help pick out flowers and she was highly knowledgeable on every kind of flower and greenery. The day of the wedding, she was there every step of the way, from showing us how to hold the flowers to look best in photos, to making sure my dress was fluffed, perfect, & straight the whole time. Once I saw the reception room, all of the flowers looked exactly like I envisioned and the room even smelled like eucalyptus from the greenery she added. She's the best in the business!

Sent on 07/05/2017

Jackie,
    Thank you so much for the wonderful review! You made my day!!!
    Vicky

Linda · Married on 08/19/2016

Vicky had everything covered - weddings are her thing! She gave options at various price points and explained the differences between each. She and her staff adjusted their schedule when we had a last minute change in plans. And - the flowers were beautiful!!!

Sent on 08/25/2016

Don's Own Flower Shop's reply:

Thank you so much for your kind words and thoughtful review... and you are right, weddings are my thing!!!
    I

Meghan · Married on 10/04/2013

For someone that knows nothing about flowers I was really impressed that the owner was able to create a beautiful bouquet that was exactly what I wanted and everything mixed well but also brought out vibrant colors.

Sent on 07/09/2014

The most beautiful arrangements I have ever scene. From the centerpieces.. To pew bows.. to the bouquets!! Vicki is an artist. . The room was breathtaking

Sent on 09/07/2013

Rhonda · Married on 09/25/2010

Vicki helped with our flowers for our wedding. I can't even begin to describe how beautiful our flowers were. I was worried my vision wouldn't come to life because I was planning the wedding while living in California. I talked with her on the phone and she gave me some awesome feedback on what flowers would work and she also got me the flowers that I wanted. I was so impressed with my bouquet and the flowers for the bridal party, even the boutineres for the men and my future husband. Wow!!! All the flowers were perfect!!! Vicki also help to add a special touch to my bouquet, she tied my Bert and Ernie to the bouquet and it was so beautiful. It was so nice to finally meet her and tell her thanks for all her hard work. She also helped make sure all the flowers were passed out and she even made sure to help with my train as I started my walk down the aisle. The centerpieces were incredible!!!! We couldn't get over how they were exactly what we wanted. We got compliments on the flowers all night. We loved our flowers and we were so glad we went with Vicki and Don's Own Flower Shop.

Sent on 10/26/2010

Working with Vicky was a blast! We had a consult months before our big day and she put her own spin on our inspiration pictures based on what was in season. We ended up reducing our flower budget prior to the big day but the centerpieces didn't suffer. We swapped some expensive flowers for some cheaper ones and it still turned out beautiful. I especially appreciated Vicky at the ceremony, she was there while I got into my dress and gave us instruction moments before walking down the aisle.

Sent on 10/31/2015

Caroline · Married on 12/07/2010

Vicki is amazing. My experience from start to finish with her was wonderful and she helped me create the most beautiful wedding with her flowers. I wasn't sure exactly what idea I had in mind when I first spoke with her, but by the end, she helped me pick out the most gorgeous bridal bouquet, bridesmaids bouquets, centerpieces, cake flowers, and more with her expertise. What was more important was that I really did leave a lot to her discretion because I trusted her. She took my general thoughts and used her expertise to pick out an arrangement of flowers and colors to really make the colors and collections pop - people were complimenting them all night and I could hardly bear to see the flowers wilt over the days. Vicki is super busy with the shop, but always made sure that I felt like my needs and questions were being addressed. Moreover, she had worked with many of our vendors before (like the Esperanza Mansion and our cake place) so she took took the initiative to make appropriate arrangements with them directly so as to make sure the day ran as smoothly as possible for me. She even helped me down the stairs with my train and saw me off!! I cannot express what a joy it was working with Don's Own Flower Shop and Vicki. I would highly recommend flowers through them for any occasion to everyone.

Sent on 10/11/2008

Alexandra · Married on 06/20/2015

We chose Don's Own Flower Shop as florists for our wedding, and we were very happy about that. Vicky is an artist and is a professional. All the wedding decorations, bride's and bridesmaids' bouquets and everything else was fantastic.

Moreover, Vicky was very flexible and eager to discuss what types of flowers, decorations and services could be chosen within our budget. Also, as we do not live in Geneva or somewhere close, it was very easy to discuss all the things with Vicky by FaceTime.

Thank you very much for an amazing job and all your help!

Sent on 10/23/2015

Angela · Married on 06/09/2012

I had a great experience with Vicky at Don's Own! When I came in, all I had was a ton of random pictures of what I liked and I had no idea what I actually wanted. She helped me decide and was very patient and accommodating. During the consultation, and up until my wedding day, I didn't even know what my bouquet was going to actually look like - but I left it to them, and it turned out amazing. I was so pleased with every bouquet, boutonniere and church decorations. She listened to what I wanted and made it happen.

The price I paid was much more than what I wanted, or expected, but.. OMG, it was worth every penny. She even helped me work out individual items that I could add or remove to make it more affordable. Just the time she spent with me figuring out the budget was a nice addition.

i got the full service, so she was even there on my wedding day to make sure I liked everything and made sure everything went as planned and set up correctly.

Sent on 10/01/2013

Melissa · Married on 08/23/2008

3.0

Vicki worked from a photo I had given her of a bridal bouquet that I had found online. She replicated the bouquet exactly, as far as I could tell. Beautiful job. The simple braidsmaids bouquets were done well, also. She was easy to work with. The flowers were a little pricey, but everything was done on time and as we had discussed.

Sent on 01/10/2009

Tamara · Married on 04/21/2012

4.2
      3.0

I used Don's Own because I was getting married at the Belhurst in Geneva and wanted to work with someone local. I can't really speak to price because I didn't do any comparisons. What I can say is that Vicky was extremely helpful in the planning process. I made an appointment with her and she spent over an hour talking with my fiance and I about what we might want on our wedding day. She was knowledgable and flexible enough to quote out a small, medium and large size for almost everything.

She spent a lot of time planning and quoting centerpieces that we didn't end up using, and she took that in stride and was just as helpful with our smaller order. She reminded me of upcoming due dates which was very helpful for a busy bride.

Finally, the finished products were absolutely beautiful, which is what really matters in the end. I was very happy with our flowers, I would definitely recommend giving them a try.

Sent on 05/21/2012

3.0

OK, I get that flowers are expensive, but the price here seemed kinda high for what we received on our wedding day. The flowers were beautiful, and I enjoyed the full service accommodations that came with it. However, the people we met with took awful notes. I understand that creative types may lack organization, but everything I requested/wanted was scribbled on a notepad and there was no rhyme or reason to anything that was written. Errors were also made when it came to our requests simply because the organization was poor.

Paying for these flowers was also unorganized. I am convinced that we may have been charged twice for items. Our bill was determined by calculator that added up sums found in their scribble marks. I'd prefer an Excel document or something more tangible/legible.

biggest PRO: Great creativity
    biggest CON: lack of organization/price

Sent on 07/25/2013

Susan · Married on 07/06/2013

3.8
      3.5

Don's Own did an amazing job with the flowers for our wedding! Vicky is a true artist and the flowers were more beautiful than I had imagined! As we did not live in Geneva, much of the planning was done by phone or e-mail with only one or two face-to-face meetings. Although there was some miscommunication at times, Vicky did a great job envisioning what I wanted and we couldn't be happier with the result! She was right on site on the day of the wedding assuring that all the floral arrangements were perfect and even assisted me with my train right before walking down the aisle! Now that's service!!

Sent on 08/15/2013

Elizabeth · Married on 09/08/2007

2.8
      1.5
      3.0

The flowers were absolutely GORGEOUS. albeit, very expensive.

Sent on 02/13/2008
  • F

Elaine · Married on 08/06/2016

2.6
      3.5
      3.0

I am unable to comment on the quality of finished work, because I ended up sacrificing the deposit and finding another florist. My first meeting with Vicky was great. She was generous with her time and showed me books with ideas for my wedding the following summer. I didn't have a clear vision, plus I know little about flowers, so I appreciated her. We settled on bouquets, centerpieces, boutonnieres and all other essential details during our initial meeting. She promised a quote, but asked for patience because summer was their busy season. Our initial meeting was the second week of August. I followed up in Oct. asking for a quote, which was met with a response saying it is still busy season and I'd have something at the end of Oct. I heard back in the middle of Dec. Quotes are not provided in writing and instead the shop verbally provides a range of price options. While I appreciated having three different pricing options for each element, I need to see the names of flowers with the numbers. I know nothing about flowers and cradling the phone to my ear while fervently scribbling the prices & names of flowers (that I can no longer picture because it is four months after our initial conversation) was completely unsettling. I asked for the proposal and quotes in writing and was told they don't provide quotes in writing because it takes too much time to type them. Following this, there were other large gaps in communication where my emails went unanswered, including one email that had my pricing and flower notes typed out, asking for them to double check that I had transcribed correctly. The poor (lack of?) communication and unwillingness to put anything in writing added more stress and uncertainty than I could handle for an already stressful time (I was planning from 500 miles away). For a more relaxed bride, this shop could be a home run because Vicky is nice and likely talented. For "Type A" people, it might be an issue.

Sent on 06/09/2016

Don's Own Flower Shop's reply:

It says my response is 2000 characters long however it is in two parts: please find review and call me please! 315-789-2647.
    Don's Own Flower Shop

Emily · Married on 04/12/2008

2.4
      2.0

I got married on short notice so they did acomidate me but i had to call them several times because they forgot to call me

Sent on 05/06/2008

Loni · Married on 10/23/2010

0.6
      1.0

They recently did my flowers for my wedding and i had to keep contacting them to see if they forgot about me. The flowers were good quality but arrangement was simple and boring. they were not creative at all. I could have bought flowers at sams club and wrapped them in ribbon and saved myself $500. The person I delt with there was very annoying and would not listen to what I had to say. Tried to upsell every chance she got and tried to add stuff to my order. Was not happy with them at all.

Sent on 10/26/2010

Ash · Married on 10/09/2010

0.6
      0.0
      0.5

Awful customer service from the owner herself! Vicky was a nightmare to work with...often talking down to you and very long winded by phone and email. Often left feeling discouraged and confused at what we were spending THREE Thousand dollars on! Tiny arrangements and she makes you feel like nothing when you can only afford her "small" sizes. Just a waste of time and money. Avoid at all costs!!!!

Sent on 09/12/2011

heather · Married on 05/19/2007

0.4
      0.0
      0.5

Vicky at Don's Own Flower Shop was terrible. It was by far the worst part of my wedding planning. I had planned everything long distance so i was only able to meet with her once face to face. we initially discussed all the flower needs and she was going to put a quote together. i called/emailed her endlessly and got no response until i threatened to go elsewhere. when i finally got the quote months later it was astronomically high. i was so frustrated with her attitude and general disregard that i ended up using a different florist altogether - who put the same exact thing together for half the cost. i would stay far away from this place. its not worth the headache.

Sent on 02/07/2009