Don Strange of Texas

Flexibility
Profile Picture
Private User
Recently Married

Beautiful venue! Very well priced and super friendly staff.

Profile Picture
Private User
Recently Married
3.8

Overall I was very happy with Don Strange Catering. I had booked The Settlement and they were running so we had to go with their catering services. Which I didn't mind at all because I had it before and they have great food! Though it's a little pricey, it's worth it. The spacialty cocktail they had for us was a huge hit at the wedding. The prickly pear margarita was tasty and the hot pink color coordinated with our wedding theme perfectly.

A few things though, I did feel like I was getting charged for every little thing they could. We did receive a lot of complementary things with the rental fee, but anytime I asked for anything outside of that, I felt like some of prices were way overpriced. I understand the fees to rent extra linens or extra chairs but it kept adding up. Although, anytime I expressed a concern on some prices, they were willing to negotiate with me. Also, I wanted to change the ceremony chairs at the last minute and they were able to work with me. Overall, after some back and forth, they worked with me on a lot and I ended up with a beautiful wedding and awesome food!

Services Used: Catering

We couldn't have been happier to have our wedding at the Don Strange Ranch. It was absolutely beautiful and completely went with our country chic theme and our styles. This venue requires you use their food, which may be disappointing for some, but not for us! It was less work and the food was amazing! We had several guests praise the food and were very pleased. The grass was so green and the trees were everywhere! Ah, the perfect place to get married for those who appreciate the country and its beauty!

Services Used: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Great food, fun food stations, and perfect weather made this the ideal choice! Everything was prepared in front of the guests so it was fresh to order. Our wedding ceremony was formal, which carried over to the outdoor setting. They maintained that ambience quite well, and our guests are still commenting on the food!

1.4

WARNING to all brides and parents of the bride or groom!! I was engaged in December of 2011 and planned a May 2012 wedding to work with my fiancé’s upcoming Bar Exam schedule. We felt so lucky and blessed to find such a beautiful venue only 5 months before our wedding date! Well, there is a reason why the ranch wasn’t booked and I hope to spread the news to all who dare get swindled into using this facility or the catering company itself.

When we did our walk through, we were promised the world. I am the youngest daughter of my family and my Mom plans events as a hobby, so we were looking for flexibility for this blow out party. They have two locations on the ranch (Kendall Creek and DSR) and we were assured that they wouldn’t double book the other location as that would mean cars would be driving past our outdoor ceremony site during the ceremony itself. They also mentioned that the facility (as it was January) was out of season and therefor was overgrown with weeds and fallen branches. They said those things would be in prime condition by May.

Once we signed the contract all hell broke loose. They now said that we would have to rent out both venues (more thousands of dollars) to keep them from double booking the sites. Lorissa, their wedding planner, was beyond rude to my parents, my in laws and myself. At one point she offered to send us to a different venue, as they may be more helpful… After our save the dates went out! When I would call for a scheduled conference call, she wouldn’t even remember which bride I was or what wedding we were referring to. She fought us on every tiny menu change and we didn’t even receive a final menu until two weeks before the wedding. We tried to contact Brian Strange who seemed to care less that even though we were paying them tens of thousands of dollars we were being treated with worse customer service than you would receive from a call center representative for your phone company. Not to mention that they would constantly throw new charges into our catering bill. They were planning on serving our 350 guests with 6 wait staff and when we asked to have water and a plated salad at the tables our bill went up by $5,000! Not to mention a VERY LARGE “service charge” that was tacked on the end.

Two weeks before the wedding we were invited to come see the venue while it was being set for another wedding. They had weeds that were 2 feet tall directly in front of the house that the bride walks out of to start the processional. There were dead leaves and tree limbs on every slanted rooftop where photos were to be taken. It seemed like now that Don Strange had passed away his sons have no pride for what they have. We ended up giving them a detailed list of common sense wedding venue “to-dos”. And after they threw a fit, they eventually pulled the weeds, cut back branches, and cleaned the place up a bit. We had a custom made stone altar (similar to Jenna Bush’s) brought in which they also made a fit about getting it in no earlier than the day before and having it out by Sunday. Yet, we found out when we brought the machinery to move it that they had scheduled three brides’ walk throughs for earlier that day and were leading them to believe that our altar would be there for their weddings! I feel so sad for them!! They will swindle you out of every dollar after it is too late for you to make other arrangements and will knowingly mislead you along the way. Our wedding turned out beautifully, thanks to our wonderful vendors outside of DSR and thanks to the 5 months of anxiety my poor mother endured while working tirelessly. If you don’t want to experience the stress level of bad comedy movie while planning your wedding, I recommend finding another venue.

This is just the tip of the ice burg when discussing our wedding nightmares. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me personally via Facebook or LinkedIn.

Sincerely,

Chelsea Briers

Services Used: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue

Don Strange helped make my wedding dreams a reality. Di-Anna was very helpful during the planning process and made sure everything I wanted was able to happen. The day of the wedding, Ester and the entire Don Strange staff was at the ranch and executed everything flawlessly! The food was AMAZING!!!! Even if you have your venue planned somewhere else, do yourself a favor and use Don Strange as your caterer. You will not regret it!

Services Used: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue