DeKoven Center Reviews

DeKoven Center 5
DeKoven Center 6
DeKoven Center 7

Vesna · Married on 08/22/2009

Katie the coordinator was a pleasure to work with. She was prompt with her responses to all phone calls and emails. Her patience was greatly appreciated with every request to visit the chapel. We were given the freedom to put up and take down the decorations in more than ample time. The grounds were a beautiful setting for our weeding photos. The chapel was a very tradition setting for our very untraditional wedding. The Dekoven Center will always hold a very special place in our wedding memories.

Sent on 12/29/2009

Zayda · Married on 03/14/2009

My experience with the staff was a positive one. They were always very helpful and accommodating. When one person wasn't available the other was quick to step in until then. My calls were always returned promptly and they provided ideas to make my experience a good one. The icing on the cake was not only did they contact me after wards for thanking me for my business, but to see if I was happy with everything. It felt like I was truly appreciated. Thanks for the great service.

Sent on 12/30/2009

Loretta · Married on 09/03/2016

Samantha and Mandy are very helpful and quick to response to any and all questions you have. I wasn't able to book DeKoven due to some family issues and the wedding needing to be a certain date, but I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for elegant ceremony or reception venue.

Sent on 09/18/2015

The staff at the Dekoven center was always professional and helpful. Most of my questions were answered completely and in a timely manner. They were always willing to alter their typical packages to make things more personal for us. It is a lovely space with so many options for a wedding.

Sent on 12/04/2013

Jessica · Married on 10/29/2005

Great place for ceremony/reception. Only drawback is that there's no catering service. But they do offer tables & chairs at no extra cost. I had both ceremony (St. John's Chapel) and reception (The Great Hall) at this location. It was nice for the out of town people because they didn't have to find something to occupy themselves between the 2 things.

Sent on 04/15/2008

Lillian · Married on 06/24/2017

We had our ceremony at The DeKoven Center outside by the gardens. The venue is so beautiful in the summer, all our guests were impressed by the grounds. The main contact, Samantha, was very responsive and open to our ideas for the wedding. We were even allowed to bring our dog and rabbits to be apart of the ceremony. It was a bit unfortunate to have such tight timing between the different couples getting married that day. One especially frustrating thing was we could hear another's couple wedding blasting their music in their reception hall as we were going to walk down the aisle so it was hard to hear our officiant's cue/start of the music. Some random waiter opened the door right as we were going to walk down, making the music even more loud. Thankfully our wedding guests said they did not hear that in the background. I wish someone was there to manage that better and ask couples be more respectful during that time.

Sent on 08/01/2017

My wedding photos looked like I was straight out of England. The setting is unique and absolutely gorgeous. I was married at the gates outside the chapel. I have received so many compliments on the venue. If I had the chance to do my big day over, I would book my wedding here again and again and AGAIN. Mandy and Samantha are so sweet and easy to work with. I felt I got a fantastic deal on the price.

Sent on 12/09/2014

Heidi · Married on 05/16/2009

Our ceremony was in St. John's chapel and the reception was in the Great Hall. Both were absolutely beautiful and the staff were very accommodating.

Sent on 12/31/2009

The coordinator responds very quickly to questions you may have and they are very kind.

Sent on 03/01/2015
  • User4120019 · 2+ years ago

The staff really helped the day of the event go off without a hitch. I thought it was pricey but the off season discount made it worth it.

Sent on 05/22/2014

Samantha · Married on 06/02/2012

3.0

Our wedding was on June 2, 2012 and The Dekoven Center couldn't have been the more perfect venue for our special day! We rented both St. John's Chapel and The Great Hall! The grounds are gorgeous with all the gardens full of blooming flowers and the historical charm of the buildings is unmatched by any other venue I have ever been to. The service we received from Alexandra and Samantha was stellar, they were always available by phone or email to answer any questions. Our guests still talk about the uniqueness and beauty that The Dekoven Center attributed toward our wedding. The location on the lakefront of Lake Michigan provided for amazing pictures and our guests enjoyed the views. A huge selling point for us was that The Dekoven Center offered on site accommodations at Taylor Hall. When we went to make reservations 12 weeks before the wedding ( which we were told we could not reserve until 12 weeks out), we were informed that a retreat had booked Taylor Hall for our weekend and that no accommodations were available. This was a huge letdown for my entire bridal party and our immediate families, as we were so looking forward to staying on site for the weekend to prepare the night before and to get ready the morning of. We had to rush to book with local hotels that were more than double the price of the accommodations at Taylor Hall. This is my only complaint, however it is a BIG one as it hindered our plans drastically!

Sent on 11/18/2013

Maura · Married on 10/15/2011

3.0

We had our ceremony at St. John's Chapel at the Dekoven Center. The grounds are beautiful and our pictures turned out amazing. The chapel itself is stunning and provided a nice ambiance for the wedding (and again, beautiful photos). Our photographer was almost overwhelmed with everything because there were so many things he wanted to get pictures with while we were there--it's just that gorgeous!

We worked with Donna to make our contract, update our vendors, and for any questions we had. She was always very friendly and prompt, and for one off the wall question (my musician was looking for "average aisle walk" times), she referred me to another staff member who had actually been married in the chapel, and that lady was able to help me out. Another lady, Alex, was then at the rehearsal and the wedding itself, to help us organize ourselves, put on flowers, etc. She was very friendly and helpful, and I particularly liked that she kept an eye out for me for the groom and his groomsmen so I could "hide" in the bride's room without them seeing me.

My only complaint was that we had to have a religious person officiate. We were able to use a Unitarian minister, which allowed us some flexibility in how much God we wanted in our ceremony, but that was the only drawback I had (I'm atheist and my husband is minimally religious, so this wasn't what we originally had in mind, but it worked out ok).

I would have liked to have used the Great Hall for our reception, but the prices for that seemed a little steep and we went else where. However, I'm very glad that we used St. John's Chapel for our ceremony--it definitely created a beautiful wedding.

Sent on 11/12/2011

Antoinette · Married on 10/25/2013

Beautiful venue! Charming atmosphere! Would love to have another event there!

Sent on 11/06/2013